What was your "Prep" for today? - Page 2007 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
National Geographic has "I Escaped A Cult" in between "Doomsday Preppers" today. Libertarianism 4 All General Discussion 18 04-04-2020 03:47 AM
Link to the "Surviving Disaster" Series - Great to watch for emergency prep. ideas! survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 08-26-2019 03:51 AM
Non "Rambo" Prep Helmet Nate74 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 71 07-15-2019 07:29 AM
Finally... a sane answer to "Why do we prep?" SurvivorGirlAL Jokes, Humor & Music 16 06-12-2019 06:58 PM
The Media asks " Why Prep" Northern Raider British Isles and ROI 33 12-07-2017 07:20 AM
Food Prices "will double by 2030" - Oxfam. Time to prep with a home garden? Jubbles Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 130 03-12-2017 01:12 PM
Article shows how most "sheeple" prep. potatoheadman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 52 11-05-2016 09:38 PM
An "Emergency Prep Poster" in Japan landline000 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 07-25-2016 12:17 AM
Neighbor "found" me online, knows I prep now... AARGH! joyfulheart Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 126 09-02-2014 10:49 PM

Old 04-08-2020, 08:57 PM

Advertise Here

expanding garden planning, seed starting, soil testing, measuring dimensions, piling brush in garden to burn it … collecting all our containers and ordered a dehydrator, although I might just end up making a quick one this summer.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to film495 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 09:46 PM
Target Shooter

More long term flour storage. More ground beef for freezer. Last bu not lest, researching the crap out of generators trying to find one for emergency home use. UGH, this one is hard.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IYAPYSNF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 04:10 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,569 Times in 586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IYAPYSNF View Post
More long term flour storage. More ground beef for freezer. Last bu not lest, researching the crap out of generators trying to find one for emergency home use. UGH, this one is hard.
How do you deal with the noise thing with a generator? It would be much safer for me, even in a rural area, to not have a generator than to have one making noise when everything else is quiet.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sorry-no-clues For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 07:21 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 28,732 Times in 7,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry-no-clues View Post
How do you deal with the noise thing with a generator? It would be much safer for me, even in a rural area, to not have a generator than to have one making noise when everything else is quiet.
Generally, you can MUFFLE generator exhaust so that it cannot be heard much more than 50 feet away.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:44 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,274 Times in 9,975 Posts

Aside from noise you should consider the thermal signature too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 08:24 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
This is a tough one for sure. My plan is eventually to switch to a solar generator for most use. However, I have not yet gotten to that point. I have seen some really cool builds and came across this one that I really like and would like to build:
But, as you can see, it is pricey. So, In the mean time I think something to have on hand to keep the fridge and freezer going is very necessary.

I have plans to keep it in a garage and build and exhaust port out one of the walls. This should contain the noise well while also minimizing exposure to others. I plan on using something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0KPCGV8S&psc=1 to provide power into the house.

Is this ideal. No. However, for the needs as of now, without spending huge amounts of money for a transfer switch, this seems like a reasonable compromise.

I live in a very conservative state with very religious people. Not to suggest this will provide a false sense of security, but I do believe that these factors will minimize the need for hardened security measures.

There has literally been, at no time, any length of time where the power has been out long enough to even need to power items. However, recent world events, and even a 5.7 earthquake here, it has given way for me to become much more prepared.

So, the hunt for a unit still continues. My requirements for a genset is: 1) Must be manual choke 2) electric start would be nice, but not necessary. 3) at lest 3k running watts (main items to power are fridge and freezer) Perhaps that is a little narrow sighted, but noise and easy of moment of the generator are factors. So far, this guy is leading the way: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion...0302/300576762
I would add the wheel kit and minus the electric start, it seems to fit the bill. But, I am researching like crazy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IYAPYSNF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 09:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,155 Times in 2,173 Posts

Washed out +100 qt canning jars emptied since November. Wife has me on lockdown in the house currently. My 75 yo MIL seems to be determined to join my departed FIL wherever he ended up, so the farm garden is still under black plastic from last Fall instead of re-tilled and sprouting potatoes, sweet corn and onions. OTOH, our property is buffed up to a rediculous degree. Ugh. Spring with usual rainfall = Spring gardening
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 01:36 PM

Ordered compass, tent stakes, and book on how to make various types of shelters.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mk15ciws For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Using an inverter generator is the way to do it. You can place it in an area and use shields to dampen and direct the noise straight up. Inverters are much quieter than standard generators and they can be daisy chained if you want to start off with one unit and expand your wattage. This is the route I went.

For today, I ordered some more long term #10 cans, some more ammo, and finished planting the garden.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Matherson For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 04:00 PM

I took a mental health day.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to R3bauer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 04:16 PM

Bought 6 Cubic Feet of Miracle Grow garden soil for the containers. Managed to recycle most of the soil I had in the containers with leaves and cow manure added but I added a few more 5 gallon buckets.

Also started hardening the pepper, tomato, kale and broccoli plants today.

My local Ag. Supply and Hardware store (Umbergers of Fontana) was abnormally busy due to places like Wal Mart not selling "non-essential" items. They had a run on seeds and things like soil and garden implements. I'm glad to see a small business surviving right now. I plan on purchasing whatever vegetable plants they get in in another few weeks - They have been very good to me in the past.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bellerophon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 04:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,602 Times in 1,916 Posts

My main storage room had gotten to a very unorganized state over the past year. Partly from my wife digging out something she needs and not putting things back in place. Partly from me bringing new things in and setting them down without taking the time to organize it. And my little tinkering projects that leave bits of hardware or kit components on the table.
There were stacks and piles of things, ammo that had not been transferred to cans and some older, unwise choices in storage food that needed weeding out.
I have done a hit-or-miss job of it over the last couple weeks but not made a lot of headway. Since my schedule has gotten turned around and I've been sleeping by day and working or reading all night, I set my energies last night to getting it done.
I enjoyed it and found a few cool things I'd forgotten about like a couple of butane jet lighters hidden under a pile of other stuff. It's all arranged in a sensible manor now.
I was glad to find that there wasn't much that needed to be tossed. Just a few of my wifes gluten-free, healthy snack foods that don't lend themselves to long term packaging and some UHT boxed milks that got way past their use-by. Interesting thing with those. When I open them, there is some separation but they smell just like they do when new.
Anyway, I'm glad that's done. I feel better when things are organized. Now I can finally get the new heavy duty shelving I want since my old plastic ones are sagging a bit from the weight of canned goods. When I do that transfer I know there are probably some acidic canned fruits and tomatoes that have to be looked at and maybe tossed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 06:18 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 13,653 Times in 3,624 Posts

Well, finished the wall repairs in the smokehouse, hung the door, need to plane/sand it to fit properly. Need to fishing casing in the door then build the smoke furnace. I got the concrete block for the steps, but I am thinking more about the design and may need more.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9mmMike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 07:12 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 8,067 Times in 2,265 Posts

DOD is required to wear cloth masks now when we can't maintain 6' of separation, so I made some more because I don't want to depend on one or two; they get stinky over time. Got my designs dialed in and I like the ones I have now. Plenty to share with the family, and everybody has extra so they can wash one while they wear another if necessary. Even sent some to my son's girlfriend's family, since he'll end up with it if they get it.

A friend is 3D printing five sets of filter cartridges for the 3M Half-Facepiece Respirators I've had for several years; started last night and should be in the mail tomorrow. Preliminary lab tests show that blue shop towels are about as effective as N95 masks, and these cartridges can use blue towels as filter material. Someone is trying to raise money to fund a lab test to see how effective these are against coronavirus specifically; that will be good info.
Cartridge design: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/gadget/filter-cassette

Also sent some N95 masks to a nurse friend. She was given one N95 and told to make it last two weeks. She's in one of the hotspots and her daughter is in a vulnerable population. I can't imagine how I'd feel if she brought it home to her daughter, knowing I had some NIOSH-certified masks sitting in the garage.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 07:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,932 Times in 2,503 Posts

chased the neighbor's cows home three times today. Called neighbor threatened to shoot cows. Was told they have no idea who owns the cows? They have not leased the land in years? worked on fences. cows came over the fences. Moved 30-06 from house to barn.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 07:21 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 8,067 Times in 2,265 Posts

Maybe check for a brand first? I'm sure the owners would be thrilled to get their valuable property back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 08:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,213 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
chased the neighbor's cows home three times today. Called neighbor threatened to shoot cows. Was told they have no idea who owns the cows? They have not leased the land in years? worked on fences. cows came over the fences. Moved 30-06 from house to barn.
I wish I had the problem of wild cows wandering onto my property. It's not one that I would have for long.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 12:43 AM
VIP Member

Old 04-10-2020, 01:30 AM
VIP Member

A couple years back a few family members laughed about the box full of swim goggles I bought at a goodwill store for very little money.

They aren't laughing about it now.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:41 AM
VIP Member

Bought 100 clean room compatible inexpensive disposable hair nets.

eBay search words
"Penn Safety - 100 pcs Disposable Hair Net Bouffant Cap (Non Woven Head Cover)"