Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prelude to Darkness: Part 6 9mmMike Books, Movies & Stories 387 04-29-2019 10:52 PM
Prelude to Darkness: Part 4 9mmMike Books, Movies & Stories 6 08-18-2017 09:44 PM
Darkness Reigns bilmac Books, Movies & Stories 4 10-24-2013 06:27 PM
Day of Darkness - Hussen korbas Political News and Discussion 2 12-11-2011 12:12 AM
Edge of Darkness SOSOnline General Discussion 2 06-10-2010 11:05 PM
From Darkness to Light ActionJackson Religious Discussion 22 09-05-2009 05:49 PM
Lights in the Darkness h00t74 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 05-11-2009 11:05 AM

Old 02-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Does not play well

Thanked 3,741 Times in 945 Posts

Advertise Here

Definite thumbs UP!

Pure white light always drives away darkness.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Trapper

Thanked 9,204 Times in 716 Posts
Cool Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

It was three days after the duel. The Tuatha De’Dannan had summoned several of the Kindred- in short, all the Kindred that carried their blood- including me. They’d also specifically requested that Pretty and Modok be there too. I was making my way to the meeting in some haste, when I was hailed by a big hairy humanoid.

“Hail Light-Breaker”, He said.

“Howdy.”

“All the Remnant were not supporting your brother. It pains us that that no one tried to solicit our aid.”

“Sorry, what can I say? It was a tense time.”

“It also pains us that the Kindred have stayed out of touch for so long.”

“Two years ago, I didn’t know the Kindred existed. Eighteen months ago, I became a sub-clan leader. Two weeks ago, I was elected war chief of the Kindred by unanimous acclaim. Y’all done been estranged for over a thousand years. Cain’t lay that rap on me.”

“No, but you can preside over the reconciliation.”

“Cool dude, get in touch with me. Don’t mean to be rude; but I’ve got a prior appointment.”

“You’re on the way to talk to the ancient ones, aren’t you? How can you bear it? Those dudes weird me out.”

Yes, a remarkable statement to come from what- to all intents and purposes- was a talking Yeti. I mumbled an ambiguous reply and hurried on.

“I never introduced myself. My name is ‘Brian’ “, the chief spokesman of the Tuatha De’Dannon began. “We’re all going to get much better acquainted as time goes on.”

He paused to let that sink in.

“The eyeless gene was something we unintentionally inflicted on ourselves eons ago. We thought we’d long since eradicated the root of the evil. Like many evils, it was merely biding its time. When we decided to graft our branches onto the Kindred, we inadvertently passed the blight on to your people. We’re sorry. It was unintentional.”

“What is the deal, with the cross-pollination? What is the point?” I asked.

“You see the last of us before you. Is there a woman among us? We are very long-lived, even by Kindred standards; yet we lose fertility; and die out. We’ve been dying since before the recorded history of mankind. Long, long ago, we created the Hellspawn to carry our traditions after we were gone. They had a brief day; but although they lacked much of our power and wisdom; they shared our infertility from their beginning.”

“Am I sterile then?” Pretty asked.

“No. It is a good thing that you throw the last of your created genes into the mix, for the new Tuatha De’Dannan”

“Pretty’s race is artificially created?” I asked.

“Yes.”

After a long pause, he added, “We called you here today; because we hold it within our power to cancel the eyeless gene. It is our liability; and our wrong to right.”

The tent was filled with a blue healing light. The bone sloughed away from Lemuel’s missing right eye. He dug at the cavity with his right fist; and within a few moments he had a right eye. Laura grew eyes. Apparently they were a bit weak at first; because as she looked at Modok, her new eyes filled with tears.

I had about three-dozen cousins who shared the Tuatha De’Dannon heritage. Eight of them were missing eyes- some like Lemuel- had one good eye. Some had none. All of us carried the eyeless gene, manifest, or not. When it was over, all my cousins had two good eyes- and the blight had been burned from our DNA. I could feel the healing in the air.

Brian shifted his gaze to Modok.

“Modok, is it truly your desire to dwell among the Kindred?”

“Yes.”

“You have the strength and determination; but why do things the hard way? It will be easier if you truly are Kindred.”

And what they did to Modok passed my understanding; but somehow they rewove every strand of his DNA- right there on the spot- right in front of God, and everyone. Modok stood altered, a hybrid Kindred/Tuatha De’Dannan- just like the rest of us.

“You’ll find all your adopted Kindred similarly transformed”, Brian said. “And all of your kin will start to take on some of our power; wisdom; and longevity- some more than others; but all will have a worthwhile transformation. Before the end, all of you will have the full measure of our power.”

“There’s one more thing that we have to correct. We can’t heal you, Light-Breaker; until you see your deficiency.”

His words chilled and frightened me like nothing else that I’d ever experienced.

“NO!” I wailed piteously. There was only darkness there- the darkness that had claimed my brother. My brother has no eyes.

“My brother has no eye!” I screamed defiantly.

Suddenly the mood had changed- the whole ambience. I’d been grooving on sunshine; and hope; and feeling in the midst of a bright fairy-tale. All at once, everything had turned grim; and gothic; and Noir. I had the drowning; sinking feeling that I’d stumbled into an Eldritch nightmare- the only slender hope that I had; to keep from losing my sanity forever- from being cast into a bottomless abyss of darkness; and madness; and nightmare- was to wake up. But there could be no awakening from this shrieking night horror. It was the one and only reality.

“My brother has no eyes! My brother has no eyes; but I can see!”

“No one disputes that you can see. You see very well indeed”, Brian stated.

“My brother has no eyes. He was claimed by the darkness.”

“You resisted that call, didn’t you? And in the end, you even freed your brother.”

“God freed him.”

“But you forgave him. That took courage- and goodness.”

“Why would no one have told me?”

“You have been told- many times. Pretty has told you. Modok has told you. Lemuel; and your brother; and your father; and your mother have told you. Not only do they fail to convince you; but you blank out the very memory of their words.”

“Then my brother has no eyes- AND NEITHER DO I!?!”

I fell to my knees; and cradled my ugly misshapen head in my arms.

“Damn you all to hell Brian! You’ve destroyed me! Now all that’s left is death. How do I walk the streets without everyone knowing?” I asked weakly.

“Wrap-around sunglasses. You wear them everywhere you go. Even now, you can’t consciously feel them on your face- can you? You selectively block much of your reality.”

There was only one thing left to do. I knelt on the floor. I started to partially remove my jacket; and to kneel on the sleeves. My Bowie was sharp enough for Seppuku. I drew the Bowie back with both hands; and prepared to thrust it into my abdomen. I was no better than my brother- an eyeless; evil mutant that should be hunted down and exterminated without the slightest hint of mercy or forbearance.

Then my skull rolled down off my eye sockets; and eyes emerged.

“Damn you Brian! Changing what I am; can’t alter what I was.”

“Maybe you’re right- though it seems at odds with your Christian doctrine of forgiveness. Yet, maybe it’s your geas to live on; even when you’d very much prefer to blot out your shame in death. Maybe you haven’t yet suffered enough for what you were. The Kindred have need of your leadership.”

So maybe Brian was right. It has been a very long time since we last spoke- though I have every confidence we’ll meet again. Brian said we would; and his word is gold. Pretty waits in vain, for me to take her to wife. I am evil; and deserve no wife. My touch would defile one of God’s own angels. Modok tries to be a friend; but I deserve no friend. The Luftwaffe waits in vain, for me to don the cloak; and call an airstrike.

Pretty raises Bloodhounds. Sometimes they try to lick my hands; and be my buddies- but although they pull at my heartstrings; I ignore them. It would defile them to be my dog.

I strive to lead my people, and cut out anything and everything that might bring me pleasure. I deserve no pleasure. I have even given up the greatest joy known to mankind- I no longer carry a Gun. Sometimes I think that my geas is more than I can bear. A human lifetime, I could tolerate. A Kindred lifetime I could stand; but I am Tuatha De’Dannan.

My brother has no eyes; neither do I. How I wish that I’d stayed in the Mental Hospital. That would have been better than this.

.....RVM45
Old 05-29-2009, 10:00 AM

I would look at the pictures of "Big Mamma" form the Movie with the comedian in a fat suit for that. I think it is Martian Lawarance in the suit.
The Following User Says Thank You to DEMON EYES For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Unlocked and loaded

Default WOW,

I never saw that comeing, I normally don't read sci-fi per say, this was one great story. Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irishwarlord For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Hiker

interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to faif2d For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Chuckin' rocks!

Really liked this one. Thanks RVM45!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockchuck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2014, 02:20 AM
Mitakuye Oyasin!

Thanked 2,265 Times in 598 Posts

RVM45 - - Another great story. I love sci-fi and fantasy fiction. This one had me thinking all the way through the story. Well done.

Thank you for sharing your talents with us once again.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2medicine woman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2015, 02:32 PM

I have read more books over the years than I can count or remember. This is one of the best. Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to dallanta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 04:00 PM
Trapper

Thanked 9,204 Times in 716 Posts
Cool

Friend,

I wrote "Darkness" some years ago while taking care of my invalid mother. I rarely got in an hour of uninterrupted writing. When I re-read it the tone and mood of the story takes me back.

Having someone tell me that they really enjoyed the story so many years after I posted it turns my story into A Gift That Keeps On Giving on both ends—to me and others.

Thank you very much.

…..RVM45
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RVM45 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 07:04 AM

This was a great story.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:29 PM

I'm 77 years old-too old to be reading this kind of crap!
I don't like sci-fi, and never did.
BUT
This is one of the best stories I have ever read. I have mixed feelings about the end, but its not your fault.(I just like happier endings I guess)

I read everything I can find that you write, but this is the best yet.

Do it again, please.
Mourning After
Old 04-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Safety before not after

thank you...
Old 07-28-2019, 04:50 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,170 Times in 833 Posts

RVM,

A another great story....

Now, the ending was not a ending, but the continuation of the next part of the Light-Breaker".....

Texican....