The $2,500 Question - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Answer a Question with a Question game Jenna Jokes, Humor & Music 2132 07-08-2017 04:24 AM
Silly question + shotgun question for a shotgun newbie robfindlay Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 12-22-2014 10:57 PM
Question about Washington law and youtube question bennetfox Firearms General Discussion 18 03-03-2014 01:51 AM
Economic collapse question and quarter question. beastmode986 General Discussion 16 11-15-2012 09:19 AM
AR-15 Question WILL Military Weapons Forum 15 07-23-2009 10:03 PM
The one question cyber-hazard General Discussion 5 06-29-2009 08:34 PM
AK question Shogunn Military Weapons Forum 6 06-10-2009 02:06 PM

Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 PM

Advertise Here

good list,well thought out.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Fuel Miner

15 month old thread. wonder how OP is doing?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Token Hippy Academic

Well, in your situation I'd suggest preparing to bug in for a while, not bug out yet- you've got little kids and no land yet, and most disasters tend to be shorter scale, so to take care of the most common 80% (windstorms knock down power lines, local utility problems, etc), you need some food, some water, and ways to handle sanitation, hygene, and cooking without grid power.

Here is what I would do/have done:

I'd say get a used hot tub and/or above ground pool delivered. I still need to get a liner for mine (about $300), and then I'll have several thousand gallons of water innocuously stored in my back yard. Craigslist is a good source for the pool or hot tub. Especially in the south, where it's so hot, water is CRITICAL. I'm endlessly astonished by the people on here who have a three year food supply and three day water supply. Pool chemicals are also amazingly useful, and if you have a pool it's no big deal to buy them and store them. All you need at that point is a decent water filter, and you'll be set.

I would also get the rack and the hand washer from here: http://www.bestdryingrack.com/ and a hell of a lot of soap. In my pantry right now I have a little over a two year supply of soap I made, and I make my own laundry detergent from that soap. The only thing my handmade soap isn't great for is the dishes, so I stock up on dish soap as well. With your kids ages, I'd also grab a few large jugs of hand santizer. Having clean socks and underwear will be an amazing morale booster, on top of the health/hygene benefits.

Being able to stay clean is going to be key to keeping everyone sane, and it's not a bad thing to have anyway.

After that, I'd get a lovable loo or two- http://humanurehandbook.com/store/LO...co-Toilet.html

If the lights and water go out, it's only a matter of time before someone has to go, and using your clean drinking water to flush a toilet seems beyond stupid to me- near suicidal to waste that kind of water in a survival situation. Get a decent sawdust toilet, because you're still going to need to go potty, and having a way to do it while keeping everyone healthy is going to be important. It's cheap and easy to stock a few buckets of sawdust.

On a similar note, I stockpile toilet paper. Lots of it. I'm going to be CRANKY when that runs out. If you plant some comfrey, on top of it's other fantastic medicinal uses, it's a decent toilet paper. I still prefer my Scott.

After that, it'd be a solar oven. I built a solar oven for under $10 and it's awesome- http://www.allseasoncooker.com/All_S...ar_Cooker.html if we have no fuel and no infrastructure, I can still cook and pasteurize water. I already had coroplast sheets, so all I had to pay for was some tape and the bolts. It makes an AMAZING lasagna and meatloaf, and creates no strong smells of wood burning or anything else to bring people to your door on day 15 demanding things.

One of the solar water heaters might also be a good idea- either a larger version or a bag from the camping store. You can get some black garden hose and coil it on the top of a little shed next to the pool for a shower- it's amazing what a hot shower will do for your mood.

At that point you can use the bathroom, wash yourself, wash your clothes, have sufficient water to drink- you have the infrastructure you will need to stay healthy and happy while staying put.

With the rest, I'd either get decent shelving for the basement from Sam's Club, or fruit trees. One Straw Rob (http://onestrawrob.com/) has some fantastic information about turning your yard into a food-producing garden, even if he is in a different climate than we are.

Since the best plants for low-maintenence food production are trees, and they take a while to get ready to set, I'd start getting those NOW, or order them now for fall delivery, depending on if theheat of summer would kill them as new transplants. If you think you'll be able to afford them later, then I'd just get the shelving for the basement.

I'm planning on getting about a dozen mullberry trees (on top of mullberries being edible, rabbits and other livestock can live off mullberry leaves, and you can force the branches to blossom inside in the winter to provide fresh fodder), some southern apples, southern blueberries, paw paws, and a few others. I already have 6 old pecan trees on my land, so I don't have to worry about THAT part of it too much.

If there's any left over for the month, I would spend that on canned prep food at the local mormon cannery, and a hand crank grain grinder. Two hundred dollars there will get you a LOT of food, and start laying down some serious food storage in the basement.

As a note: with kids, store way more peanut butter than you ever think you will need. When I lived of my preps for a month, I thought I had 6 months of peanut butter stored. It almost didn't last. Get. LOTS.

I also stockpile books, decks of cards, and board games that I pick up at thrift stores or garage sales/craigslist. I go through the dollar clearance rack at the local used book store often, and i shop for number of pages- I'll get a 400 page book over a 200 page book, just because I know my family and if we're all stuck inside during the heat of the day with nothing to do, we'll drive each other insane. With no electricity, you've got no TV or electronic entertainment for the kids- get some board games, some card games, some books, to keep them quiet and occupied.

With two little ones, bugging out with no place to go isn't a good option, in my opinion. Until we finish our rural location, we plan to bug in, and we've GOT land, just no infrastructure on it yet, AND my kids are older than yours. Also, most disasters are less than a month, so if we can stay put and stay healthy here at the house for a month, I'd rather do that.

In the long term I'm prepping for 10+ years and total collapse of civilization, but making sure we can go a month in our house if there's a local emergency is a really critical first step.
The Following User Says Thank You to Token For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 AM
Worn out

Agreed 100%, water purification is really important. Some sort of gravity system like the Berkey for staying put or their "sport" bottle for the BOB. Boiling works but can become really effort intensive. Prefiltering can extend purifier cartridge life considerably.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:21 AM
Worn out

The Berkey can be incorporated into everyday life to provide quality great tasting water from your common tap water. Where I live the city water comes from Louisville Kentucky where they have gained notariety for how good the water is, being a traveler I appreciate it but I keep the Berkey filled in the kitchen and take my sport model on the road.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,009 Times in 3,842 Posts

By the same token you can make the poor man's version of the Berkey. Instead of stainless steel containers you can use a couple 5 gallon buckets. The purchase a few ceramic candles or the Sawyer .1 filter. For about $50 you can make very similar water.

http://www.monolithic.com/stories/a-...g-water-filter
http://www.sawyer.com/water.html
Old 09-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,994 Times in 4,540 Posts

didnt notice this thread was really old. deleted my reply