Anyone seeing new "Prepper" stores popping up? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Rent to own" stores prey on low income Americans Angry Cow Financial Forum 107 10-24-2014 03:51 PM
How do "storefront stores" stay open? Nomad, 2nd General Discussion 59 06-24-2014 09:03 PM
FBI Arrests "Doomsday Prepper" Martin Winters, Held Without Bail Unbelievable General Discussion 43 06-23-2014 05:02 PM
"Legalizing/decriminalize" drugs (sold regulated - like state stores) - Pro's & Con's tankman1989 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 14 08-20-2013 11:18 PM
Lanza's mother is a "doomsday Prepper" "Official Thread" willow General Discussion 429 12-20-2012 05:53 PM
A "Doomsday Prepper" has a story to tell about stopping prepping. Come listen to it. Libertarianism 4 All General Discussion 14 11-19-2012 05:20 AM
"The Christian Prepper's Handbook" by: Zion Prepper paramilusmc Book Reviews 0 08-25-2012 08:21 AM
Creating a job/career on stores/industries "junk"/trash tankman1989 General Discussion 3 10-17-2011 05:44 AM
Police Begin "Guns Drawn" Raids on Organic Food Stores in California george4inflationus General Discussion 43 11-24-2010 10:08 AM

Old 04-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Closed for the Season.

Thanked 30,702 Times in 10,730 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFenix View Post
... People are lazy. They would rather sit in front of their computer in their pajamas and buy stuff than actually get dressed and go out to a store.

It is not just laziness. For me it simply is much less expensive than going to town and not even finding what I want to get. You can thank gas prices for some of this. Though I agree the B&M stores have a cost disadvantage over Internet retailers.

The Internet shopping experience has really changed things. It is amazing to me that I can get so many things for cheaper than going to stores and many times the shipping is free. It costs me at minimum to go to the nearest town $20 in gas. If I could get my fresh food supplies from the 'net I might never leave home.

Besides I do not wear pajamas, I do my Internet shopping in the nude.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,173 Times in 460 Posts

My friend converted his computer shop to a firework shop from oct1999-jan 2000. no joke he made a fortune with bonfire night and the millenium celebrations .He has done the same for every bonfire night since.I dare say he will be keeping it running right up to the new year this year as well ,guaranteed some people will want to celebrate 22nd of decembers arrival.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Libertarian

Thanked 3,357 Times in 1,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermosaRyan View Post
I live in Southern California and there doesn't seem to be much as far as prepper stores. I would think some new ones would have popped up with all the mainstream media coverage but that doesn't appear to be the case, at least here.

Checked out a military surplus store today that was big but mostly had clothes and camping equipment. It did have a good amount of MREs and freeze dried foods, some 55 gallon water barrels for $80-$100 a piece, knives and a bunch of other stuff.

There is a SOS Survival store in Van Nuys that I have seen on two different news stations in the past week. I still want to check that out as well.

Anyone see some good prepper stores in their area?
There are prepper stores all over the U.S.A.-they're called Walmart!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 AM

They are popping up like crazy in AZ. Saw a couple of new ones just within the last couple of months. Same with the Walmart, carrys food grade buckets and lids and #10 cans.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Interesting stuff. I wasn't sure if there were stores opening because of all that hype. But with so much available on the internet it is understandable that new physical stores have several major hurdles to overcome.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFenix View Post
You're not factoring in the established competition from the internet sellers of prep and survival items.

The net has already forced a lot of the bricks-and-boards sellers of various types out of business. People are lazy. They would rather sit in front of their computer in their pajamas and buy stuff than actually get dressed and go out to a store.

There are also huge start-up expenses involved in starting a retail store of any size. Those expenses go on, day after day........regardless of whether you sold anything that day, or not. And if you specialize in just one niche area.......that only makes it that much harder to succeed. Big box stores (like Waldo World, etc.) can do okay adding prep items to their established inventory. They already have lots of shoppers coming in to their location, every day. But, if you are a small business......starting from Square One is tough under any circumstances. This is a primary reason why most new business start-ups fail within the first two years.

I've got a lot of retail experience, from owning my own store for years. I closed down and opted for early retirement when the economy started to tank. Opening another retail store is just about the last thing I would consider doing for income in this anemic economy.

To add another level to this, B&M stores have to purchase inventory outright and then mark up to cover purchase and shipping costs as well as adding sales tax, etc. Internet retailers can often get away with being a middle man, and having no other costs than taking your order and money (with markup) and then placing that order for you with the company who makes the product, who then ships it to you. That retailer doesn't have to have a warehouse full of inventory, just has to take your money, take their cut off the top, then send the order along its way for someone else to finish the heavy lifting. That's really hard to compete with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 12:02 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 9,958 Times in 3,785 Posts

previous similar thread wi good info

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=223971