Fill in the contents of this $800 survival cache - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Altoid tin survival kit... what contents? bigbmc Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 46 10-28-2013 10:00 PM
Cleaned out the survival library and cache today paramilusmc General Discussion 4 10-08-2012 10:40 PM
Survival cache tubes ! MMAFighter British Isles and ROI 21 08-28-2012 09:40 PM
My first underground survival cache (large pictures) Tom Joad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 64 01-16-2012 08:22 AM
Survival Kit (belt worn) suggestions for contents? Psyclops Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 65 12-23-2011 08:27 PM
Cache contents/organization Marlowe Urban Survival 13 01-08-2011 12:00 PM
survival cache 8valve Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 05-24-2010 07:42 AM
PVC Survival Cache (video) Leif the Lucky Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 53 03-10-2009 12:21 AM
Survival Cache Sp!der Urban Survival 28 02-12-2009 08:55 PM
my survival supply cache trixie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 12-25-2008 09:57 AM

Old 02-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,199 Posts
Default Excellent Answers Already Given

Advertise Here

You need to consider more dry warm IMMEDIATELY available clothing, footware, water, food, rain gear and several good back packs already packed up with the formentioned stuff. The need to quickly move on and not linger at the cache site may be compelling. Buried shovels? Make each cache site the same.

Thank you. Plastic doesn't work. Be utterly amazed what a critter can chew through, INCLUDING heavy steel drums INCLUDING steel G.I. ammo cans. Don't ask how I know this---embarrassing. Anybody make a truly animal proof metal containment vessel? Dunno. HB of CJ (embarrassed old coot)
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VekTor View Post
The mix mentioned by "ArmyVet" earlier is one that seems to me to have a philosophy of "hit and git"... where the contents seem optimized to allow a user of the cache to load up the entire contents in short order and then high-tail it away from the cache location, headed no doubt for some other goal location.
That's a pretty fair assessment of the items I put down. My thinking behind it was more or less a cache that would serve as a resupply location for a BOB after a few days or even to replace a BOB and firearm that I may become separated from in a bug-out type scanario.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmyVet For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,155 Posts

Well I don't nearly see the need for two 55 gallon drums. Packed right and secured from rodents correctly, I only think I would need but one barrel. But for sake of this project I will go with two and provide another alternative. So with that being said here are my options.

So in one barrel I store say six Jerry cans full of diesel fuel.
First barrel:
-Jerry cans x6 http://www.expeditionexchange.com/wedco/ =$300.00
-30 gallons of fuel =(give or take) $90.00
total=$390.00
I might need fuel in route, or if I get driven out maybe I am going by truck and not foot. I have vehicle escape routes from my BOL, so why not? With stabilizer.

Second barrel:
-SKS (give or take) $300.00
-100rounds of ammunition =$23.00 http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2TLUL076201BX-1.html lets say this is an item you can pick up from a local gun fire
-Cleaning kit http://usarmorment.com/otis-professi...em-p-1860.html =$60.00
Total=$383.00

So that's $773.00. Incorporating shipping your about maxed out.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP185-1.html $10.00

Totaling $783.00

But with that being said, an extra set of warm wool clothing can be taken from my dresser, and an extra tarp and sleeping bag can come from the shed.

I would also include a few water bottles that can be taken form anywhere.

Bu then again I have a surplus of extra gear so this would be for me particularly. If you already had a weapon for the barrel then that opens up room for a better and more extensive 72 hour kit to include MREs, lights, boots, some washing items you get the idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to paramilusmc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 07:08 AM
Hardcore survival

Thanked 1,081 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB of CJ View Post
Thank you. Plastic doesn't work. Be utterly amazed what a critter can chew through, INCLUDING heavy steel drums INCLUDING steel G.I. ammo cans. Don't ask how I know this---embarrassing. Anybody make a truly animal proof metal containment vessel? Dunno. HB of CJ (embarrassed old coot)
Welllll... that "critter" would have to be bigger than that squirrell that did the number on the plastic drums in the pictures above...

AND -a squirrell chewed on this cast aluminum electrical box:

But in the 15 years since 1997 when I did my first cache, I never ran into any critter damage to a 55 gallon steel drum.

I've seen an ammo box punctured by a grizzly tooth, but he couldn't tear it open.

Yes, to answer your question... here's some bear-proof containers:

http://www.bearicuda.com/enclosures/bear_proof_box.php

But a 55 gal steel drum is cheap... I get all I want for free.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Hiker

My father had a squirrel chew the battery posts off of the battery on his dump trailer. Apparently they like the taste of lead.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Long Trump

Thanked 10,213 Times in 3,336 Posts

One thing to think about is your fingerprints on anything you are burying off your property. If this cache is found with unregistered weapons and ammo you don't want it traced back to you. Weird things happen and nothing is completely safe from discovery.

Use very fine weave light weight form fitting gloves to handle everything from point of purchase to burial, including the drum. If there is someone you want to get even with, grab their coffee cup or other items they handled and put it in the barrel. Screw'em. Let them take the fall if it's found. That will ease the pain of loosing your stuff.

I'd like to hear what others have to say about caching on others secluded property, roadside dead zones, etc. and what constitutes a good location. My thinking is easy access, not a place anyone goes for any reason, and out of sight with multiple ways in and out that would not be looked at as unusual if spotted. I'm looking at a location that is "hit and git" with the option of low impact couple of day camping under camo netting, which would be in the barrel.

Any thoughts?

Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
- Sun Tzu - The Art of War
The Following User Says Thank You to Lono For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direman View Post
Glad to see a Campmor link. I'm fortunate to live about 15 minutes from their retail store - great prices and knowledgeable staff... a really great resource. Nothing else to add, just digging the topic.
Now I know how others feel on here when I tell them I live 5 minutes from Palmetto State Armory. Being that close to Campmor would be detrimental to my savings account for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmyVet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,190 Times in 2,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVet View Post
Now I know how others feel on here when I tell them I live 5 minutes from Palmetto State Armory. Being that close to Campmor would be detrimental to my savings account for sure.
You should attend some of the SC get-togethers we have and we definitely need to do some shooting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gallo Pazzesco For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 12:08 PM

Given the scenario in the OP of it being a back up in case of getting pushed out of my bug-in-location. I would assume that I probably have my BOB and primary weapon with me. Therefore I would place a cheap .22 rifle, .22 ammo, plenty ammo for my primary and side arm, a first aid kit, back up water purification, back up fire starting kit, and plenty of freeze dried food and some MREs. Maybe a "cheap" SKS if the budget would allow as well.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,864 Times in 8,232 Posts

I love these threads where someone with a budget who doesn't have a clue gets the most gullible members of SB to tell them what they need instead of figuring it out themselves. The height of laziness and guile all wrapped in one. Must be an engineer.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ_Grappler View Post
I love these threads where someone with a budget who doesn't have a clue gets the most gullible members of SB to tell them what they need instead of figuring it out themselves. The height of laziness and guile all wrapped in one. Must be an engineer.
Nice negative attitude. Lots of preppers might enjoy threads like this and use them as thought exercises. You never know when you lose everything you have and have to restart with...$800.
The Following User Says Thank You to QueechoFeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,864 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueechoFeecho View Post
Nice negative attitude. Lots of preppers might enjoy threads like this and use them as thought exercises. You never know when you lose everything you have and have to restart with...$800.
I won't lose everything because everything is not sitting in one place. It's called redundancy. Yes it is a thought exercise for everyone else aside from the OP, which just proves my point that those who start these threads are looking for free mental labor.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ_Grappler View Post
I love these drive-by comments from people who clearly can't be bothered to contribute something useful to a discussion, so instead they just sneer from the sidelines... and can't bothered to actually look at the thread to see that the OP provided a highly detailed breakout of what they had already "figured out for themselves" before anyone else had offered a single comment on the thread.

Yeah, that must be a sign of someone who doesn't want to do any thinking for themselves, and just have other people tell them what to do. How utterly lazy! Damn those engineers!

Thanks for your "contribution" to the thread, BJJ_Grappler. Clearly, it has helped quite a bit to make this community a better place.
The Following User Says Thank You to VekTor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 06:30 PM
"Old" is a state of mind

Earlier in the thread someone asked for a replacement for a sheath knife.

Try the Colonial Mark 1 US Navy Deck Knife. I highly recommend it.

http://www.colonialknifecorp.com/Mil...eck_knife.html

I have a genuine World War Two Mark 1 that I've had for many years. As far as I know it has never been sharpened and I can shave with it.

If I had one handy, I'd squeeze in an AR-7 survival rifle and at least 100 rounds of .22LR. Then I'd take care of that squirrel.

Doug