My Mother Is Gonna Drive Me Crazy Or Kill Me Yet - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 04-05-2020, 11:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,440 Times in 5,447 Posts

Advertise Here

I am Zeke, my Father went from being a poor and hungry depression child to being successful, moderately wealthy, and raised 6 kids while he was doing it. Also he is a WW2 vet.

You can TRY to "reset his expectations", we have all tried it, but I do not think that you will succeed any better than we have. He simply decides what he will do next and then he does it.

His (somewhat) older brother is almost as determined. Being long-lived and highly independent appears to be hereditary in his family
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 11:36 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 62,285 Times in 21,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Terri View Post
I am Zeke, my Father went from being a poor and hungry depression child to being successful, moderately wealthy, and raised 6 kids while he was doing it. Also he is a WW2 vet.

You can TRY to "reset his expectations", we have all tried it, but I do not think that you will succeed any better than we have. He simply decides what he will do next and then he does it.

His (somewhat) older brother is almost as determined. Being long-lived and highly independent appears to be hereditary in his family
Only humor their eccentricities if it pays to honor it. Cleaning up after a parent dies is serious work. They made a choice in having you.

If you succeeded in getting off your dependency of them when you came of age then your debt is paid.

Those that fall into your dependency or leave you with the cleanup likely will need to be put to heel.

Otherwise you will resent them for their late abuse of you. Dying isn't an out for their leftover mess.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:51 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 3,159 Times in 897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Only humor their eccentricities if it pays to honor it. Cleaning up after a parent dies is serious work. They made a choice in having you.

If you succeeded in getting off your dependency of them when you came of age then your debt is paid.

Those that fall into your dependency or leave you with the cleanup likely will need to be put to heel.

Otherwise you will resent them for their late abuse of you. Dying isn't an out for their leftover mess.

Oh how I wish that were true! But I guess to them, being deceased and gone on to better things, their mess is behind them.

But yeah, being the one to help clean up their estate can be a nightmare. You find things you wish you hadn't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 02:01 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 26,807 Times in 9,539 Posts

MY husband likely has dementia. I don't resent him I am angry at the man who gave him the brain damage.

He tried to wander the other day when I was gone but only got as far as the garage. That is a gift to me because the last thing I need is him getting run over again.

So I can relate. Happily he is happy to stay home during this he is pretty much a "bed bug" before this wanting to spend every minute in bed.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:52 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,154 Times in 3,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXplowgirl View Post
Ohhhh, I am sooo ticked off at her right now. Finally talked her into staying home like we have all been told to do. I thought she finally understood, no going on cruises, no going to town every day, no going anywhere, just stay at home. Thought she finally had that understood.

Take a wild guess what she's done now?

Last time I happened to look outside yesterday about noon her car was still in her driveway, Didn't look out today but she called me about an hour ago and i'm still fuming.

She went to Texas to visit my brother, his girlfriend and her 3 youngun's. She left out yesterday about 1pm. Got there about 6pm. She's staying until Tuesday or Wednesday before coming back home and while there she's planning on going around and visiting old friends and her 2 granddaughters and 1 great granddaughter.

She will not be allowed to visit over here for another 2 weeks once she gets home and now I may make that a month.
Wouldn't wish the following situation on anyone in any real situation, but someone like that will understand when 1 thing happens:

She gets home and shows symptoms, just as she gets home. Gets tested, is revealed to have been sick for weeks. Has spread the disease to your brother, his girlfriend and their 3 kids, who are in the hospital in 2 weeks too. Same with the old friends and granddaughter/greatgranddaughter. She herself being responsible for putting everyone she knows in the hospital and spreading it MIGHT wake her up.

Edit: i wrote this in another thread too, but it's relevant here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
Sometimes i think people are just doing it out of spite. Just out of principle. Tell them they can't get together, and against all common sense, they'll get together. Tell someone it's best for them and those around them that they stay inside, and they'll go out just to show their principles and that "the man can't keep them down". They'll use whatever loophole, to get around a law or regulation or rule anyone sets on them, even if they know is in their best interest and they would normally just do.

Reminds me of kids sometimes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,440 Times in 5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post

Dependent? IamZeke, my family does not DO dependent. Nor do we humor our Dad. My relatives can be a quarellsome lot at times, but nobody is dependent and they will spit in your eye if you say that they are!

I think that you live in a very different world than we do. In the world that we live in, age and experience makes a person MORE clever, not less.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 06:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,722 Times in 1,443 Posts

Tx plowgirl----------------
This may not be, what you want to hear.....
I lost my mother in 2001...
She was the only one I'd ever have.....
And yours, can't hold a candle to my crazy....
But, I'd do almost anything, to hug her, just one more time.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 06:39 PM
Possum Lover

Sailor, not all mothers are a gift to their children. Mine disabled me before birth, neglected me so bad she lost custody, and couldn't be bothered to show when she did have visitation.

She died alone just the way she wanted. Homeless, too.

Last I talked to my sister she was trying to follow in our mother's footsteps and be a hot emotional mess having meltdowns every 5 minutes and making everyone clean up after her. So I cut off contact with her, too.

My uncle doesn't see how I could do it, but there was no way I could have her in my life. Her stated goal was to break up my marriage so I would move in with her and be the caregiver. 24/7, for room and board.

I found that a hellish prospect.

Just saying not all families are great.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:46 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 34,750 Times in 9,893 Posts

Well, something happened. She was planning on spending a week down there. She just came home. She says she changed her mind. Called little brother and asked him what happened and he said that she called a few old friends and everyone told her to stay away and it sounded like they all chewed her out.

He was pretty ticked off that they treated her thataway and then got even more ticked when I told him "Well, someone needed to." He is still in the "It's just the flu" stage of denial.

Whew, I can relax now.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 06:59 PM
Survivor

PKitty-------------
Was I talking to you ?
open your own wo-is-me thread...……..
Nor, was I addressing your mother problems...……..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 11:41 PM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Thanked 34,667 Times in 9,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehryk View Post
yeah, but only a 0.01% chance of that.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...4-872Zvtmkw5NY
In deference to Real Clear Politics, there are currently 337,278 confirmed cases of COVID-19 within the United States, with 9,637 deaths associated with such. That comes to 0.02857286867%. While RCP may choose to water the numbers down a bit due to the lagged data with respect to positive results, that is still a fairly high number.

There are roughly 330 million within the United States. Even if the RCP speculation is accurate with a .01% death toll, COVID-19 still could potentially result in 3 million deaths in America.

Over 70% of people hospitalized with COVID-19 and almost 80% of those admitted to an ICU, had a preexisting conditions or risk factors that placed them at risk, with those histories being a 1.Current smoker, 2.Hepatic disease/disorder, 3.DM, 4.Immunocompromised, or 5.Respiratory histories (COPD, Asthma, etc.) being the largest populations to be admitted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 11:43 PM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
PKitty-------------
Was I talking to you ?
open your own wo-is-me thread.....
Nor, was I addressing your mother problems.....
If you don't want to see what she contributes, please just block her.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 01:20 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sockpuppet View Post
If you don't want to see what she contributes, please just block her.
I like her,....sock...
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 02:30 AM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 8,479 Times in 2,856 Posts

Asymptomatic people can spread havoc.

Ask them if it's worth making other people sick and die just because they are unwilling to quarantine themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 04:49 AM
Possum Lover

Well, she's home now.

Hopefully she learned her lesson about wandering, my aunt has been really bad, just doing the letter of the law but not the spirit, taking long walks every day and "happening" to run into neighbors so they can "visit", etc. Having a big family gathering a few weeks ago, etc., upset her sons are keeping their kids home now.

We go to work, bank (cash deposits), and home and that is it. I go out to Walmart 1 x a week and I had to go to the vet last week, but I stayed outside and they treated the cat in their facility.

I wonder if it would work to disable her car somehow...
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 05:25 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 9,693 Times in 2,465 Posts

RE- ALL the old "irresponsible" people in this thread under discussion..

Simply put, a lot of these folks have reached a point where they really are OK with dying. Have lived a long life and well past most folks in their age bracket and after that a certain fatality mentality sets in that says, "I made it this far, so if it is my time, I am ready for it."

It makes them kinda fearless. I saw it a LOT in the ghetto duty. Old black guys in their 70 were absolutely fearless. They never imagined living that long and so they were all living in bonus time and just weren't afraid. They were the most dangerous people we had to deal with.

Maybe if the relatives you are worried about catch the bug their minds will change, but up until then, they have the rest of their lives to live and not much short of a nuke will change their minds.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:23 AM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Asymptomatic people can spread havoc.

Ask them if it's worth making other people sick and die just because they are unwilling to quarantine themselves.
Actually, both symptomatic and asymptomatic people can spread havoc.

If they are that self-absorbed, then it wouldn't do any good asking them anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 02:56 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 60,831 Times in 20,651 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXplowgirl View Post
Ohhhh, I am sooo ticked off at her right now. Finally talked her into staying home like we have all been told to do. I thought she finally understood, no going on cruises, no going to town every day, no going anywhere, just stay at home. Thought she finally had that understood.

Take a wild guess what she's done now?

Last time I happened to look outside yesterday about noon her car was still in her driveway, Didn't look out today but she called me about an hour ago and i'm still fuming.

She went to Texas to visit my brother, his girlfriend and her 3 youngun's. She left out yesterday about 1pm. Got there about 6pm. She's staying until Tuesday or Wednesday before coming back home and while there she's planning on going around and visiting old friends and her 2 granddaughters and 1 great granddaughter.

She will not be allowed to visit over here for another 2 weeks once she gets home and now I may make that a month.

Boy ... I love your mom's free spirit. Sounds like she's not fond of being "told what to do."

104-year-old grandmother survives C-19: https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/the-10...ronavirus-ass/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 03:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,018 Posts

So? She's big girl and can do what she wants. Why are people always wanting to control others and get angry when they cannot control others?

What ever happened to liberty and freedom?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PatrioticAmerican For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 03:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,586 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducts View Post
Ya'll just need to stay indoors to stop the spread. Why don't people get that?
You don't have to stay indoors. You have to stays AWAY from people. Preferably on your own property,
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post: