Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-05-2020, 03:14 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 26,826 Times in 9,545 Posts

Advertise Here

Noah only had his sons, their wives, and HIS wife on the ark. He was the first prepper of record. I'm sure at the end everyone wanted "in" but God shut the door.

It is right there in Genesis for anyone who wants to read.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:15 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,154 Times in 3,336 Posts

So, rather than being laughed at, you've made yourself a target by sharing that you have prepared to people you don't consider friends and wouldn't consider helping, and actually refused to give them any aid. He asked for help, and you just said no and put the phone down? Least you could do is give him some information. But guess you're the one laughing now?

You're avoiding using your card to pay, paper's still king? It's also a great vector for virus transmission. You should know the stuff that's on paper money on a good day if you're lucky.

Good luck, sounds like you might need it if things turn south.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:20 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,341 Times in 3,960 Posts

OP....you should practice opsec.
You should not be advertising
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:22 PM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 21,009 Times in 7,597 Posts

"They laughed at me! They called me mad! MAD, DO YOU HEAR?!? But now I'll show them! I'll show them ALL! BWAH-HA-HA-HA!!!!"
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:23 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts

`

So you told everyone you are a prepper, then when someone gave you a mea culpa & asked for a bit of help, you told him to pound sand, does that sound about right? Your 1st mistake was telling everyone you are a prepper. Now that guy & whoever else will blab that spriritb has lots of stuff he's "hoarding" & if the govt. doesn't come take it sooner, hungry people will come take it later. Good job! It reminds me of that Nat Geo show American Blackout, when the guys daughter brings along her boy friend to the dads location & the BF proceeds to start handing out food to people & telling them they've got lots of food, even though the dad was TRYING to practice good opsec. Of course a bunch of raiders showed up & took everything.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:33 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,087 Times in 637 Posts

When Y2K came around people at my job were asking me for a list of what to have on hand.
I almost got written up because one of the supervisors who saw the list thought I was threatening them.

It was simply a list.

After that, I pretty much kept myself very low key. Even sold a lot of the older stuff I accumulated because I simply didn't need them anymore.

I have not really been approached as of late mostly because the folks who thought I was nuts are mostly out of state now. But I approach it now in a much more pragmatic way, and no longer see things as "save yourself".
I live in an old Spanish community and the history and traditions here work off of a quasi-communal aspect. We really do need to work as a community INCLUDING survivalest/prepper work.
But displayed in a way that doesn't make me look like a radical version of Burt Gummer.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to soocom1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,167 Times in 4,552 Posts

I pointed out to A LOT of people they should get prepared in January. Everybody either laughed at me, or just kind of looked at me with pity , like I was weird and told me they are not worried about it, it's just the flu, and media hype, or just in China whatever.

Now, I don't even want to say ITYS. There is no happiness in me being right. I wished I had been wrong
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:47 PM
I love this Forum.

`

Old 04-05-2020, 03:57 PM
Possum Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
"They laughed at me! They called me mad! MAD, DO YOU HEAR?!? But now I'll show them! I'll show them ALL! BWAH-HA-HA-HA!!!!"
Until they take it by force.

I shut the **** up about my preps aside from one person who helped me with rice... he called recently but we were "too busy to talk".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 04:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,140 Times in 3,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
I pointed out to A LOT of people they should get prepared in January. Everybody either laughed at me, or just kind of looked at me with pity , like I was weird and told me they are not worried about it, it's just the flu, and media hype, or just in China whatever.

Now, I don't even want to say ITYS. There is no happiness in me being right. I wished I had been wrong
When I talked to family, I felt like the guy in Jurassic Park when he was the only one who saw the future problem.

I still get texts asking what was that mask I should have? Oh, I thought so, I can't find that anywhere...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 04:09 PM
I love this Forum.

Old 04-05-2020, 04:11 PM
Possum Lover

I actually made my parents a disaster kit with a shopping list. They didn't buy anything and gave away what I had given them "We are minimalists now!"

And of course now they are struggling to get groceries. They are thousands of miles away so I can't help. I did tell them to try Walmart as mine has done pretty well (she was "too good" for Walmart but has changed her tune).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 04:12 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,271 Times in 412 Posts

Well I hate to pile on but, personally, I wouldn't have ever told him. I would bring up about how you should probably have a few things on hand... but I don't let my buddies in on the hundreds of pounds of food I have.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:16 PM
Prepared

I never had anyone laugh at me, but then I don't really talk to people about this stuff all that much either. Not because I am hiding anything but because I am a private introvert sort of person.

Anyway, rather than saying I am a prepper, if I was talking to someone about the issue I would say the government suggests that everyone stores a week worth of food and water and have basic supplies like a first aid kid and rain clothing and what not. The actual suggestion is like 3 days worth of stuff, but I would round it up to a week.

At that point, I don't think anyone is going to look at you weird for saying you follow government guidelines on being prepared for an emergency. If you wanted to talk to someone about even more than that, I would instead frame it as a hobby rather than say you are doing it to prepare for the end of the world. If you say it is just a hobby then people are far more accepting of those sort of things. Like even if someone stamp collects and others think that is a weird hobby, most people are not going to make fun of a person for it. They will just say, "Oh that is an odd hobby" and then move on.

If you say you are preparing for the end of the world though, then of course some people will think that is really weird. Because the end of the world is an extremely unlikely event. Even a lot of preppers are not concerned about stuff like. A lot of preppers are more concerned about the US ending up in a Venezuela type situation, not a Somalia type situation. Though a madmax type situation is probably the most extreme and if you say that is what you expect a lot of people will look at you weird.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lilychan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 04:19 PM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 8,497 Times in 2,861 Posts

Loose hips link dritz?
Old 04-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
I actually made my parents a disaster kit with a shopping list. They didn't buy anything and gave away what I had given them "We are minimalists now!"

And of course now they are struggling to get groceries. They are thousands of miles away so I can't help. I did tell them to try Walmart as mine has done pretty well (she was "too good" for Walmart but has changed her tune).
Minimalist, gave you stuffs away, didnít prepare, too good for Wally. All the liberal extremist boxes are check. Make sure you are in the will and are getting stuffs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redneck007 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 04:48 PM
Sam Adams was right....

Thanked 20,656 Times in 5,853 Posts

For the whole thread...

Old 04-05-2020, 04:57 PM
Awesome

Thanked 25,454 Times in 8,356 Posts

Is that why some of you have such a hard on for the panic? You're getting on in years and this is your last chance to show your family and neighbors that you're not crazy? That might actually make you crazy.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:10 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,447 Times in 452 Posts

Why do people feel the need to blab Blab blab their private business to people? I could care less if others do not prep, not my business and I am not going to be telling others to prep or that I do etc.

I prefer being the Gray man and living in peace.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:19 PM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 21,009 Times in 7,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Until they take it by force.

I shut the **** up about my preps aside from one person who helped me with rice... he called recently but we were "too busy to talk".
A proper mad scientist would be prepared for force! Admittedly it would be with a guy in a clumsy robot suit, or a cat army, or a ray gun that would destroy everything, including himself; but he'd be PREPARED!

You've got to go with these idioms...

(Tell him the water leak destroyed all your preps and you're struggling to get by)
The Following User Says Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post: