Dressing up rice so we don't get bored during the long haul - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-16-2020, 08:06 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

my dad use to eat it with cinnamon sugar and a splash of milk.

you could also just put some gravy on top
I believe that was on a list of popular depression era foods I saw once
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anno lynke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 08:36 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,170 Posts

For meals... so many of you are pretty elaborate with your recipes.... If we are in a tough situation....

I will cook rice, add a couple of bouillon cubes.. and to that, I hope to add canned chicken, Spam, canned Tuna... or maybe wild game.

Thats about all I hope to expect from a crappy economic situation.

Early in a ****ty situation, half the rice can have sugar added to it for desert or breakfast.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 08:42 PM
Prepared

I really like the fried rice seasoning packets for $1 in the Asian food aisle. Simple cheap tasty and long shelf life.

Also, rice pudding (also helps use up the extra eggs from your hens), used as a filler in any soup or stew you make, fried rice balls/imitation hash browns, and you can even make homemade puffed rice to make something similar to a traditional rice crispy treat although in normal times it is a bit of a hassle when you can buy a big box of them for a few bucks
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martial Lawyer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 09:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 36,446 Times in 8,589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anno lynke View Post
my dad use to eat it with cinnamon sugar and a splash of milk.

you could also just put some gravy on top
I believe that was on a list of popular depression era foods I saw once
Both of those I remember very very well growing up.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 12:48 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,204 Times in 13,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
For meals... so many of you are pretty elaborate with your recipes.... If we are in a tough situation....

I will cook rice, add a couple of bouillon cubes.. and to that, I hope to add canned chicken, Spam, canned Tuna... or maybe wild game.

Thats about all I hope to expect from a crappy economic situation.

Early in a ****ty situation, half the rice can have sugar added to it for desert or breakfast.

This was about not getting bored, not as cheap or easy as possible. My recipe has a lot of spices, but I trade out the yogurt for a little oil and have done it over the campfire.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 12:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,161 Times in 5,471 Posts

I made Spanish rice a few days back. Ripped off part of a Betty Crocker recipe and made some adjustments. Added garlic, scallions I had, chopped carrot, a can of Rotele, worchestershire sauce, hot sauce, cumin and chili powder. And Goya sazon for the flavor and color.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 03:22 PM
Indefatigable

Basil Pesto & Roasted Corn Rice
3 ears of corn
1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup walnuts
2 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp salt and pepper each
3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil divided
2 cups cooked white rice

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Trim the husks on the ears of corn and place directly on the oven rack. Roast for 30 minutes. Cool and then remove from the cob.
Meanwhile, make the pesto. Combine the basil, parmesan, walnuts, garlic, salt, pepper, and 2 Tbsp olive oil in a food processor.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add the corn, rice and pesto. Stir to combine.

I have also made this with couscous and quinoa. All work well. It becomes super easy if you use pesto from a jar and canned corn. Not as tasty, but still good.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 05:13 PM
Master Mason

Thanked 6,971 Times in 1,960 Posts

My old standby and favorite is cooked rice with a hamburger patty on top with a can of Cream of Mushroom soup poured over it.

Or, cooked rice. Brown Gravy and a can of Black eyed Peas. Prepare rice, heat gravy then add drained can of Black eyed Peas. Cook for a few minutes and pour over rice.

Both are good. To me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 05:22 PM

My favorite recipes:
Hot cooked, buttery seasoned white rice with 1-2 soft fried or overeasy eggs on top, add small, cooked veggies or normandy veggies, then cooked patty or link breakfast sausages, cut up scallions, crunchy fried jalapeno topping and/or crunchy fried onion topping. Drizzle sriracha over top. Shredded cheeze, optional. YUM!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wondering For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 09:41 PM
Prepared

Cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup add extra meat from leftovers or canned chicken and dump on rice. I stocked up on some for the "non cookers" to make. For the real lazy people any canned soup mixed with rice will fill them up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zebra007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 09:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,418 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
Great recipes so far. I almost never think to use rice as a desert. Need to get on that.
rice pudding is the greatest thing EVER invented.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 10:04 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 4,212 Times in 1,501 Posts

Glorified rice was one of my faves as a kid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Fashioned Glorified Rice.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	299760  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 12:17 AM
Indefatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilla View Post
Glorified rice was one of my faves as a kid.
Reminds me of pot luck after church. It was the one thing you could always count on being there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 10:59 AM
Master Mason

Thanked 6,971 Times in 1,960 Posts

I try to eat Basmati Rice due to health. 2 cups Basmati Rice, 1/2 cup Ghee Butter and a can of rinsed Peas and Carrots is a good side dish or as a main dish with canned Calamari.

I’ve even made it in camp. Very popular.

Edit: This works at home with Cauliflower Rice too. At home. Also, if going to camp, freeze the Ghee. It will be fine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 08:43 AM

I use three main variations.
Boil it. Drain it and add whatever you like. Meat, veg, fish, beans. Then add a sauce to it. Tomato, BBQ, garlic, chili, anything. The different sauce makes it taste like a different meal.

Fry it. The oil or butter it is fried in makes it taste different as does the change in texture. Again add other ingredients but also a sauce. The different flavour of the sauce is the key.

Sweeten it. Sugar and milk or cream. Yum!
The Following User Says Thank You to down under For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 05:06 PM

I ate so much rice pudding as a kid that I swore I'd never eat it again as an adult and I haven't. The only part I ever liked was the raisins.

I love rice with gravy, with butter, or fried in sesame oil with a scrambled egg. And chili beans, rice, and cheese. Or for a really fast meal add a can of corn to a can of chili and eat over rice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emmajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 05:32 PM
NO QUARTER GIVEN

Take left over rice. Heat in skillet. season to taste. Add eggs that have been stirred. Scramble. Enjoy.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sniper9ez For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 07:36 PM
Transplant

Cajun "Dirty" Rice...

The real stuff uses chicken gizzards and livers, minced & cooked. But we make a good version with breakfast sausage or ground beef/venison/turkey as well. Add chopped onions, celery, green bell pepper and garlic. Season with Chachere's, black pepper, paprika (smoked is good), cayenne and some thyme. brown and drain the meat and veg, add broth or bouillon and water and rice, simmer 15-20 minutes, turn off heat and leave to steam for 5 minutes before stirring it all up.

JoJo - I love it when you share your recipes & "what's for dinner"s! Always such a great variety!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haleigh8 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 07:45 PM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 8,479 Times in 2,856 Posts

GABA DABBA DOO

Brown rice can be sprouted to make Gaba Rice.

Sprouted brown rice is also called GABA brown rice (for the amino acid GABA is created during the sprouting), or hatsuga genmai in Japanese. (Beware, after 30 - 48 hours of sprouting in warm water, it is "stinky" rice)

The most touted health benefit to GBR is the amino acid GABA, or gamma-aminobutyric acid, that is created during germination. GBR apparently has twice the GABA of regular brown rice, and ten times the GABA of white rice, from 6 to 40 mg of GABA per 100 grams of rice. GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter that seems to have the following benefits: promotes fat loss by the stimulation of the production of Human Growth Hormone; increases the sleep cycle giving deeper rest; boosts the immune system; lowers blood pressure; inhibits development of cancer cells; assists the treatment of anxiety disorders.

Although people around the world have probably been eating GBR for thousands of years, what we now call GBR or GABA rice was 'discovered' in 2004, the United Nation's Year of Rice, as part of their research into rice. Since then it's become a health craze in some parts of the world.

GBR is made by soaking brown rice in warm water (30-40 C, 86-104 F) for up to three days.

I use a primitive method - I put the brown rice in a sprouting jar - fill with hot water and immerse in a hot water bath inside an insulated jug. Swap out the water every 4-6 hours. By day three, it will stink, but that's good. When cooked, the stink is no more.

{ There is now an easier way to make GBR. Rinse and soak at 27-30 degrees (80 -86F) for 12-18 hours. Then take 1 cup~1 liter of the soak water, and keep it in the fridge. Drain the rest of the water, rinse the rice, and keep soaking for 1-2 more days, changing the water before it gets stinky.

The next time you make GBR, rinse the rice and then begin soaking with the water you saved from last time (and add more water to cover the rice). Then save water after 12-18 hours, and keep cycling. This will give you a bioactive acidic starter that gives very good results! }
: : : : : : : : :
GABA rice - http://www.instructables.com/id/HOWT...ed-brown-rice/

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...itions-wisdom/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 08:22 PM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 8,479 Times in 2,856 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra007 View Post
Cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup...
If you can't afford $1 / can Campbell's, you can probably make a close approximation.

It's simple to make a "Cream of" soup, freeze into portions, and thaw as needed.
. . .
The recipe is a basic roux (fat + flour), with a bit of added corn starch thickener (as needed) to make a simulation of "pot pie gravy".
Roux is roux: the ratio is 1 part flour, 1 part butter (or other fat) and that doesn't change. As with all of the Mother sauces, roux is the thickener used in sauces and gravies and how much of it you use depends upon how thick you want the end product to be.
Alton Brown's show "GOOD EATS" covered some of the 'tricks' to making roux without winding up with 'brick' (burned roux). Don't turn away! Look for tell tale darkening along the pan sides, etc. Take off the heat if it looks like it may become too dark. You can blend the dark and light, and it will still work fine.

When you're cooking the fat and flour to get rid of the raw flour taste, the color changes from white to light brown and darker. You can fuss with the temperatures to control the change. As the flour darkens it gets a nuttier flavor, but it also loses ability to absorb liquid and thicken. A dark "red" brown roux is great in a soup, but won't make a good gravy.

Adding liquid - the amount depends on your judgment of the thickness of the roux... start off with a cup or so. Whisk / stir and note the transformation. Add and whisk and wait.

If your gravy is too thin because the roux got too dark, you can patch it with corn starch.
For each cup of liquid, you want to thicken, start with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in a small bowl. Add an equal amount of cold liquid and stir until smooth paste forms. This is your slurry. Whisk the slurry into the hot, simmering liquid that you want to thicken. (not all at once - just enough to thicken)
*you can add soy sauce to the cold liquid, too - making it a great sauce for chinese stir fry*
And remember, most gravies thicken up as they set and cool, so a fresh "thin" gravy may become a thick gravy upon reheating.

Have fun adding whatever you want to your "Cream of" soup base... mushrooms, celery, beef, chicken, potatoes, onions (*sweet vidalia), etc.
Pour over rice, meats, mashed taters, toast, hard tack, etc.

: : : : :
LIQUIDS: water, milk, cream, stock, bone stock, liquids from canned vegetables, etc.

What ingredients are in Campbell's cream of mushroom soup?
INGREDIENTS: WATER, VEGETABLE OIL (CORN, CANOLA, AND/OR SOYBEAN), MUSHROOMS, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, WHEAT FLOUR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: SALT, CREAM (MILK), SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, YEAST EXTRACT, DEHYDRATED WHEY, FLAVORING, DEHYDRATED GARLIC.

The key players are roux (fat + flour) and food starch / corn starch.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post: