Pizza delivery places - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 03-21-2020, 07:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,418 Times in 611 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ_Grappler View Post
If food makers become vectors of transmission, a whole lot of people are going to get sick.
Which is why I am not about to risk any fast food any time soon.

How many pizzas get out the door before the person making them comes up sick?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 07:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 33,296 Times in 8,053 Posts

I will miss pizza but why take the risk? We have one delivery service in our area but I don't think I'll buy, We can make kind of a pizza so there is that. Too bad, they make a great pie.
The Following User Says Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 08:10 PM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 8,479 Times in 2,856 Posts

PIZZA
If you have a decent oven, and want to make great pizza - - -
You need a “Baking Iron” or “Baking Steel”
Forget pizza stones (waste of $$$)
The key to perfection is the heat transfer from the hefty slab of metal into the dough, which is vital in home ovens that cannot operate at super hot temperatures used by commercial pizzerias.
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...ron-pizza.html
And if you can find a steel dealer who will cut a slab of 1/4" steel for you, you can save $$$.
(Depending on your source of flour, etc, you can make a pizza from scratch, for $0.49 to $0.89 per 12" - 14" pie.)
https://youtu.be/ldo56hGAzHA

To deal with rocket hot baking steel, you will need a pizza peel to slide the pie on and off. (Dust with corn meal)
__ Pizza Peel :
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/...222/p7443.aspx
(probably cheaper to find a local restaurant supply house and save on shipping)
https://www.chefmaxstores.com/
Check out “Bed, Bath and Beyond,” too.
: : : :
NO OVEN? OR TOO HOT TO USE?
STOVETOP PIZZA
"Southern Fried Pizza"

You can make a homemade pizza (10"-12") for around $0.75 in raw materials. (If you buy in bulk!)
=>> take a #10 can of crushed tomatoes, add chopped onions, garlic, jalapeno peppers, salt, basil, spices, etc., and store it (I use a recycled gallon pickle jar) in the refrigerator. Can be used for spaghetti or salsa, too.

I buy flour by the sack. I make up a batch of dough, divide it, freeze in convenient sizes. Takes about a day to thaw in the refrigerator.

You don't even need an oven - For "12 minute Southern Fried Pizza", put dough on cold cast iron skillet (well seasoned), let rise - as much as you want. (I like 2 - 3 hours - ethereal texture)

When ready - turn heat to high. First time, you'll need to keep watch until you get the timing. If you see / smell wisps of smoke, don't wait - time to flip!

My stove and pan cooks one side in 5:30 minutes.

Flip. Cook 1:10 minute. Turn off heat. Flip.

While still in the pan, sprinkle crust with shredded mozzarella cheese, cover and let melt (3 - 4 minutes).
Top with warm sauce. (If you use cold sauce it hardens the cheese).

>> You may also finish melting the cheese in your broiler <<

{Oiling the skillet may give a "fried bread" flavor and a crunchy crust. Experiment. Have fun.}

Alternately, if you have a flat cast iron griddle, you can preheat it like the PIZZA STEEL and get pretty close to the perfect pizza.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 08:24 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 13,462 Times in 5,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
[ . . .Alternately, if you have a flat cast iron griddle, you can preheat it like the PIZZA STEEL and get pretty close to the perfect pizza.
Lodge makes a crepe pan that works well for this and many other things.
Make the thin dough, seen above, heat the pan on a gas burner letting it brown on the bottom while you quickly add the sauce and topping. Then put it under the broiler for about 2 min and you are ready to eat.

If you don't want to make the dough, use a extra large flour tortilla. Sometimes I put olive oil and fresh crushed garlic to the pan first, then the dough or tortilla.

You can also double stack the tortillas, filling the insides with Parmesan cheese and garlic butter.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Log...8NG3/376465614
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 09:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,588 Times in 3,843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
In Tulsa Walmart and delivery services of all types, especially pizza places are hiring up laid off workers. We had a free pizza from Dominos and when we ordered they asked if we would like "clean delivery" it just means the driver comes and sits the pizza down on a table or chair outside your house, without seeing you. We paid with a card and added the tip when we ordered.
That's actually a cool idea.

I haven't quite decided yet about getting take out (well, I mostly have, but I guess I'm looking for an excuse to allow it). No place will deliver to me, of course, but most places are still open for pick up. One pizza place has a deal every day on pizza or wings. One of those days I almost always would get their boneless wings as my once a week treat. But I haven't gotten that in a good month. And boy has it been hard! Thursday you can get a large pizza for $9, and after work this Thursday I sat in my car for a good 5 minutes debating before I finally told myself no and went home.

While the likelihood of me getting the virus from that is low, as the weeks go on I think that likelihood is going up as the virus spreads.

I've seen several places locally offer their dough for you to take home to cook. Though I think that would be more unsafe than getting it cooked - I would assume that if say the cook had the virus, any that fell onto the hot pizza would die. Whereas if they had it while handling the dough, the dough could carry it and then you could potentially get it on your hands/counter when you made the pizza.

I saw a local grocery store had posted pictures online and were offering their donuts individually bagged, which is also a good idea but what if the person making them/bagging them had it?

Many of the workers in restaurants are young adults - many who think they can't get the virus or it won't hurt them if they do. Which makes me wonder... before/after work, do they go home and stay home, or do they go out and party and socialize? I've seen many, many people at my workplace (young and old) who as of Wednesday/Thursday/Friday still thought this was funny/a joke/nothing to worry about/just the flu. I think I would be safe assuming that same viewpoint is common elsewhere. So it would be very naive to assume that the person making the pizza is just going home after work and practicing social distancing.

So while I appreciate the extra steps these places are doing and the hoops they are trying to jump through, ultimately I don't think it's enough - there's just too many variables.
The Following User Says Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 03:13 AM
Wildlife Proctologist

Thanked 6,052 Times in 1,531 Posts

I have decided against someone else making my food but made just one exception. In WV restaurants are shut down except to-go orders and people hurting.

Went by a small place I like where they work hard but don't make much. I just ordered a coke, gave her a $20 and wished her luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to beaner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 04:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,242 Times in 2,005 Posts

I grew up on mini-pizzas.Toasted english muffins,leftover spaghetti sauce,whatever cheese we had.Still make them,but love a gooddeep dish once in a while.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 04:23 AM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 27,973 Times in 7,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge912 View Post
Very simple Pizza dough. Best as thin Crust.
2 cups flour,
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbl. baking powder,
1Tbl. olive oil. One packet of quick rise yeast mixed with 3/4 cup 110 degree water and a 1/2 tsp of sugar.
Let yeast and sugar rest in the hot water for 8 min. Mix into 1/2 the flour, salt and baking powder,
Add the oil, mix in the rest of the flour until you have a soft dough.

Let sit for a couple of minutes. Makes about 4-5 thin crust pizzas (10")
I substitute club soda for the water and it gives you a fluffier dough.

I also use these to bake them on.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Creek Walker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 11:56 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,204 Times in 13,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealfinder500 View Post
it would be very naive to assume that the person making the pizza is just going home after work and practicing social distancing. So while I appreciate the extra steps these places are doing and the hoops they are trying to jump through, ultimately I don't think it's enough - there's just too many variables
Are you buying ANY products or food at all? How are you sanitizing it before bringing it into your house? The people who grow, manufacture, pick, bake, deliver and stock those products might be sick. They might be going home and having orgies, you are correct, we don't know.
As it stands now I am am going to give the people who ARE still working through this crisis the benefit of the doubt. I believe most of them take it seriously and do not want to give it to their customers anymore than they want to get it FROM their customers.

*Another pizza dough tip. I consider myself an accomplished cook and baker. I can't make a crust to save my life. But I can make flat bread or pita bread and one of those makes a great crust!
Old 03-22-2020, 08:10 PM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 8,479 Times in 2,856 Posts

NO OVEN?
Worried about running out of bread?
If you have an old 1 lb size coffee can, you can use a pressure cooker to make bread.
Steam baked bread is not unlike a bagel in texture.
The round shape fits well with round cold cuts.
[Search on YouTube for videos showing it being done]