Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here

Old 03-18-2020, 04:02 PM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 8,497 Times in 2,861 Posts

Advertise Here

YOU AIN'T GONNA CASH OUT

The U.S. retirement market was valued at $27.2 trillion at the end of the third quarter this year (2019), according to the Investment Company Institute.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12773.htm
Q: How much U.S. currency is in circulation?

A: There was approximately $1.70 trillion in circulation as of January 31, 2019. This figure includes Federal Reserve notes ($1,655.2 billion), U.S. notes ($0.2 billion), currency no longer issued ($0.2 billion), and coins outstanding ($47.2 billion).
A: update -As of January 8, 2020 there was $1.75 trillion worth of Federal Reserve notes in circulation.

U.S. Population = 329,217,343
Estimated $5,042.26 per capita in circulation (2019)
Estimated $5,315.63 per capita in circulation (2020)

Your odds of cashing out are slim to none.

But the joke is that even if you got it all out, it's entirely worthless notes (federal reserve notes). When (not if) that system implodes for whatever reason, billionaires become zero-aires overnight. Remember, notes are debt - they are not fiat. And if you are an obligated party on those notes (via FICA), the creditor has a legal claim upon your labor and property.

I can't predict how "Muricans" will take the news when the creditor's goons start "collections" but preppers take heed.

"Investments" in land, housing, tools, food, and fuel will be of real value. But if you're in debt, it may be a repeat of the Great Depression, where many folks lost everything to the banks (usurers).
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 04:02 PM
Golfer

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,670 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude View Post
We sold most stocks months ago because they were at all time highs...
Amusing. So many geniuses here - Dixie, Palm, Falcon, Mere, Clovis, others.. Why are we just now hearing about how you sold all your stock just before the big crash? Why now?
Old 03-18-2020, 04:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,555 Times in 782 Posts

I'm late to the party but at this point I would buy if I had money. I think it's starting to balance out. When this thing passes in a few weeks (or if this becomes out new normal) the djia will soar to 30k within months. If you need the money before that, cash out some and buy silver.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:26 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 40,822 Times in 6,467 Posts

Old 03-18-2020, 05:35 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 39,993 Times in 9,300 Posts

Government is talking $1 Trillion bailouts. I'm feeling ill...

The Fed already pumped hundreds of billions, maybe a trillion, and cut rates to 0% - .25% this week. Markets still collapsing...
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 09:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,179 Times in 5,479 Posts

Usually with any crisis, oil prices soar and gas at the pump spikes. This time oil is $20 a barrel and Trump moved to top off our reserves. Prices are dropping day to day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 10:27 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktide View Post
I'm late to the party but at this point I would buy if I had money. I think it's starting to balance out. When this thing passes in a few weeks (or if this becomes out new normal) the djia will soar to 30k within months. If you need the money before that, cash out some and buy silver.
That feeling, like it's going to spring back again, it's called denial.

Watch for bull traps, folks.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to velacreations For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 11:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,477 Times in 830 Posts

Of financial investimemts ( IRA, 401(k), 529, brokerage) I’m 85% stocks and 15 percent cash. Paid off all debt and years from retirement. Own real estate worth 70%, and PMs worth 15% of what’s in financial investimemts.

I’m OK where where I am. Of course, in a perfect world I would have sold PMs at the peak, put it in the stock market, till it topped and moved to cash. Of course if I knew the future I’d just buy a lottery ticket. Or have invested in TP.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:07 AM
Survivor

My 401k funds are in limbo right now, will be handing off a fat check to a messenger from where it is going by noon today.

I at retiring soon and have changed to another investment house that will take better care of it for me. I did take a bath, but only had so much in the stock market.

EDIT: My 401k is now in a new home and I was notified late yesterday by email. From what the close-out was at the old place and the balance at the new place, I essentially made $31k overnight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 05:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,224 Times in 2,201 Posts

At peaks I cash out and keep funds open at 10%, then wait for the trough, like this is getting to be. Did that for dot.com, for 2008, for the election, then last summer. Its not complicated but I track human nature and act against herd movement.

Cash out on the way down if you please, I'll buy in when it starts creeping up. Thats how an average guy makes money in these times. Do what you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 09:45 PM
Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Buckeye Guy View Post
At peaks I cash out and keep funds open at 10%, then wait for the trough, like this is getting to be. Did that for dot.com, for 2008, for the election, then last summer. Its not complicated but I track human nature and act against herd movement.

Cash out on the way down if you please, I'll buy in when it starts creeping up. Thats how an average guy makes money in these times. Do what you want.
Give us a bull**** break. Your explanation for selling on this peak is crap, the market has hit a record just about every month for the last six years. Where were you last year and the year before?
You people claiming your fantasies are real are what makes the internet suck.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:33 PM

I learned an very very very expensive lesson in 2008
get your money out while you still have any left.
The Following User Says Thank You to vtx rudy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 10:39 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 39,993 Times in 9,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Possibly. I think the panic has settled, and people are realizing what needs to be done and will adjust, and businesses will adjust.

There's going to be more pain but there are opportunities for investors. I got in yesterday, carefully. I did very well today.

Day started pretty rough, and I lost money on a few stocks, like Boeing. But looks like since it's a strategic resource the Feds are going to "bail" Boeing. IMO no chance Boeing is allowed to fail. It's a huge % comparative in the Dow as well as being a critical American company with very important strategic advantages. So I'm not worried at all on BA. The two things causing it to fall from 440 pts to 120 pts are the problem with the 737, which will be resolved, and the lack of current flights and demand along with supply chain issues; that will also be resolved very soon. I can think of few individual companies that are more critical to this nation than Boeing, given its specialized and strategic importance for travel and national defense reasons. I think that stock is set to 'take off' and I didn't want to miss the fast recovery.
Quote:
Well that was a painful day on the markets... ugh... closed out a lot of positions as some losses (thankfully some gains) with stop limit orders. Thankfully limiting further bloodletting. Yikes...
Well, I got the wool pulled over my eyes by the corrupt shell game called the stock market. I should have stood my ground on Boeing. I so much despise the fraudulent trading game.

Got in, took a beating, stock triggered a low stop loss, and now it's up 70 ****** points or almost 60% in a couple days. I knew it was gonna happen but I could not stomach the bleeding and the hints of what should have happened was a stock sale... All you can do is laugh at this point at the shell game called the stock market. Total stock manipulation continues. They're gonna drive the price up, and then yank the floor out again. So aggravating.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 10:49 AM
Golfer

IDK if the market is a shell game but it is a hard game to win. You think you have a 50/50 chance but that never seems to pan out.

I saw a guy on TV who was an expert in scissors-paper-rock. Seems crazy, seems like it should be 50-50 but he could defeat anyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to puttster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 10:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,752 Times in 7,664 Posts

Quote:
Well, I got the wool pulled over my eyes by the corrupt shell game called the stock market. I should have stood my ground on Boeing. I so much despise the fraudulent trading game.

Got in, took a beating, stock triggered a low stop loss, and now it's up 70 ****** points or almost 60% in a couple days. I knew it was gonna happen but I could not stomach the bleeding and the hints of what should have happened was a stock sale... All you can do is laugh at this point at the shell game called the stock market. Total stock manipulation continues. They're gonna drive the price up, and then yank the floor out again. So aggravating.
Sounds just like the metals market fiasco.
The Following User Says Thank You to sierra skier For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 11:04 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,331 Times in 453 Posts
Default Only stupid

Only stupid people Buy high and sell low.

If I was going to do anything in the market right now, I would buy.

There are incredible values there right now.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:33 AM
Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post

LOL, compared to what? What it used to be ?
Old 03-25-2020, 11:33 AM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 6,389 Times in 1,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
Amusing. So many geniuses here - Dixie, Palm, Falcon, Mere, Clovis, others.. Why are we just now hearing about how you sold all your stock just before the big crash? Why now?
Since I was named here, I will go ahead and tell you that I've moved 75% of my 401k funds from the "cash" fund to various domestic stock mutual funds/etf(s) available from my 401k provider. I'm still not comfortable moving any money into international stocks yet but that's why i still have 25% in cash. There are good deals out there folks and you may want to buy before the stimulus kicks in and brings them back up in price. (hopefully I'm not to too early)
Old 03-25-2020, 11:35 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post

Gomez Addams was the only one who made money selling low and buying high.

I agree that there are values to be had for the savvy investor. The average Joe on the street will do better with lotto scratch-off games. You have to be ready to play the short game, get in... watch it like a hawk... get out.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,134 Times in 8,038 Posts

Quote:

Sounds like you are blaming others for your misjudgments.

I do not think anyone that was in the market that has not been hurt by this virus market.

IMO Market ETF, sector, ETF and the like hurt good individual stocks during a sell off. That is the 401k model. It is easy enough to find stock in the top half of the market or sector which I am sure you and I have done. Now to see them fall for no logical reason other than a market or sector sell off is hard to take.

To be somewhat hypocritical in my criticism of you. I will never own a stock that suspends its dividend because it takes a government loan. Earn money and distribute some of those profits back to shareholder is what companies are supposed to do. I have never been a fan of stock buybacks in general. In essence a stock buyback is saying we have a lot of cash now but management does not believe it can maintain that cash flow. So to me it is a bad sign, a sign of surrender.
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post: