Advertise Here

Old 03-13-2020, 11:12 AM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 8,477 Times in 2,855 Posts
Default Don't Panic

Advertise Here

DON'T PANIC
. . . .
The 1918 influenza pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920; colloquially known as the Spanish flu) was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic, the first of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus, with the second being the swine flu in 2009. It infected 500 million people around the world, or about 27% of the then world population of between 1.8 and 1.9 billion, including people on isolated Pacific islands and in the Arctic. The death toll is estimated to have been anywhere from 17 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million, making it one of the deadliest epidemics in human history.
. . .
Most influenza outbreaks disproportionately kill the very young and the very old, with a higher survival rate for those in between, but the Spanish flu pandemic resulted in a higher than expected mortality rate for young adults.
. . .
In a 2007 analysis of medical journals from the period of the pandemic found that the viral infection was no more aggressive than previous influenza strains. Instead, malnourishment, overcrowded medical camps and hospitals, and poor hygiene promoted bacterial superinfection. This superinfection killed most of the victims, typically after a somewhat prolonged death bed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

PREPPERS should fare well, if they have sufficient stocks of nourishing food, avoid concentrated populations, and promptly treat bacterial infections.
PNEUMONIA - An acute or chronic disease marked by inflammation of the lungs, usually caused by a bacterium, virus, or other infectious agent.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320881

The most common symptoms of pneumonia include:
• cough
• shortness of breath
• chest pain
• fever
• chills
• fatigue and muscle aches

Sometimes, additional symptoms can occur, such as a persistent cough that causes a headache.

There are two rules to remember when recovering from pneumonia:

• Proper rest: A sick body needs plenty of downtime to heal. Refraining from physical activity and getting enough bed rest allows the body to focus on repairing itself, rather than using energy to power the muscles.
• Proper diet: Eating a varied diet rich in whole-food choices may help the body heal, and adequate liquid intake is essential. Water, herbal teas, soups, and broths are all easy ways to increase the liquid intake while recovering from pneumonia.

*Cough*
1. Peppermint, eucalyptus, and fenugreek tea
2. Saltwater gargle
*Shortness of breath*
3. Caffeine
4. Warm, damp air
5. Rest
*Chest pain*
6. Ginger or turmeric tea
*Fever*
7. Hydration
8. Fenugreek tea
9. Over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers
10. Lukewarm bath or compress
*Chills*
11. Warm liquids
*General symptoms*
12. Additional natural compounds

These at-home products contain compounds that help fight off bacteria, viruses, or fungi and can include the following:
• garlic
• raw honey
• cayenne pepper
• tea tree oil
• echinacea
. . . .

Hope this helps.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 06:14 PM
Gumpherhooberpelt

For those in need of a comfortable bed that's portable, consider a Hennessy Hammock. Great for relaxing outside when convalescing.

Unlike most hammocks, his were designed for ease of entrance. His bottom opening entrance is as easy as duck into the opening, turn around, and sit down. You're off the ground, and not in any danger of flipping it over. *(the opening has a Velcro seal that closes up once you're in)

Ideal for those who have arthritis and back troubles, too. The largest has a weight capacity of 350 lbs.

https://hennessyhammock.com/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 09:45 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 22,849 Times in 7,538 Posts

I'm disappointed. I hoped this would be the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2020, 09:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,191 Times in 2,190 Posts

It is.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2020, 09:01 PM
Gumpherhooberpelt

NOTE: Corona virus pneumonia is identified by a dry cough with no runny nose.

The new Corona virus may not show signs of infection for days. So how can one know if he/she is infected? By the time an infected person has contracted a fever and/or cough and needs hospital attention, the lung is usually in a state of 50% Fibrosis and it's too late to take preventive measures. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that can be performed each morning. Take a deep breath and hold it. If you can do that successfully for more than 10 seconds without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it indicates there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, and basically indicates no infection. It would be a good idea to perform this self-check every morning in an environment of clean air.

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafr...pinion-1491797
Having looked a little deeper, the MSM failed to inform us of the real medical issue - fibrosis in the lungs. Fatalities are one thing, but this virus involves a dry cough instead of a typical phlegm filled wet cough. In some, this does damage to the lungs, leaving scars and reduced lung function for the rest of your life.
Okay, quarantine sounds reasonable.
This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 79 to 82°F (26-27°C). It is susceptible to direct sunlight. So this should be a short term event.

Hope this helps
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2020, 09:09 PM
Gumpherhooberpelt

https://nypost.com/2020/03/13/corona...lung-function/
Dr. Owen Tsang Tak-yin, medical director of the authority’s Infectious Disease Centre at Princess Margaret Hospital in Kwai Chung, said that of about a dozen discharged patients examined, two or three were unable to function as they had previously.
“They gasp if they walk a bit more quickly,” Tsang told reporters Thursday, according to the news outlet. “Some patients might have around a drop of 20 to 30 percent in lung function [after recovery].
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 05:13 AM
Gumpherhooberpelt

SOAP SAVVY

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-disinfectants

___So why does soap work so well on the Sars-CoV-2, the coronavirus and indeed most viruses? The short story: because the virus is a self-assembled nanoparticle in which the weakest link is the lipid (fatty) bilayer. Soap dissolves the fat membrane and the virus falls apart like a house of cards and dies – or rather, we should say it becomes inactive as viruses aren’t really alive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 06:51 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 26,802 Times in 9,536 Posts

Coach, you want me to go Vogon and start posting poetry?

The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
https://nypost.com/2020/03/13/corona...lung-function/
Dr. Owen Tsang Tak-yin, medical director of the authority’s Infectious Disease Centre at Princess Margaret Hospital in Kwai Chung, said that of about a dozen discharged patients examined, two or three were unable to function as they had previously.
“They gasp if they walk a bit more quickly,” Tsang told reporters Thursday, according to the news outlet. “Some patients might have around a drop of 20 to 30 percent in lung function [after recovery].
What does "after recovery" mean? Have you ever had pneumonia, or even a bad case of bronchitis? It can take months and months to fully get over. I had it a few years ago and I was short of breath just walking up one flight of stairs (to the point where I purchased canned sports oxygen) for months after symptoms were gone.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:48 AM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 20,966 Times in 7,589 Posts

Quote:
NOTE: Corona virus pneumonia is identified by a dry cough with no runny nose.

The new Corona virus may not show signs of infection for days. So how can one know if he/she is infected? By the time an infected person has contracted a fever and/or cough and needs hospital attention, the lung is usually in a state of 50% Fibrosis and it's too late to take preventive measures. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that can be performed each morning. Take a deep breath and hold it. If you can do that successfully for more than 10 seconds without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it indicates there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, and basically indicates no infection. It would be a good idea to perform this self-check every morning in an environment of clean air.

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafr...pinion-1491797
Having looked a little deeper, the MSM failed to inform us of the real medical issue - fibrosis in the lungs. Fatalities are one thing, but this virus involves a dry cough instead of a typical phlegm filled wet cough. In some, this does damage to the lungs, leaving scars and reduced lung function for the rest of your life.
Okay, quarantine sounds reasonable.
This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 79 to 82°F (26-27°C). It is susceptible to direct sunlight. So this should be a short term event.

Hope this helps
I want a bit more defination on the highlighted things. I'm old,. Everything I've got is tighter, stiffer, or more uncomfortable than it used to be. Except for the things that are looser and limper than they should be. Are we talking "This is irritating, I hope this ends soon" levels of discomfort, or "OMG I THINK I BROKE SOMETHING!!!"

Not to mention, when I hold my breath, my body starts talking to me saying "Hey. Stupid. You're not breathing. If you're dead, lie down. If you're alive, stop playing games and BREATHE, knucklehead." My body's as cranky as I am.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 12:46 AM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
I want a bit more defination on the highlighted things.
Turns out that the advice is bogus.
My apologies.
. . .

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ta...ts-self-check/
Old 03-20-2020, 01:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,077 Times in 5,050 Posts

Quote:
Turns out that the advice is bogus.
My apologies.
. . .

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ta...ts-self-check/
Darn. I was kind of proud I could pass that test.