Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FINALLY! A Quality Pistol Caliber Carbine! Ruger PC 9MM hanzy4200 Firearms General Discussion 104 03-01-2018 07:21 PM
A Town Like This Mudwall Books, Movies & Stories 18 12-27-2017 05:50 PM
Finally Debt Free. Woohoo!!! TXplowgirl Financial Forum 15 05-26-2017 08:05 AM
Good news- the wife finally got her ASUs InfScout General Discussion 7 04-06-2017 05:52 PM
Benelli M4...finally a viable weapon light mount Unobtanium Military Weapons Forum 0 02-06-2017 11:59 PM

Old 01-10-2018, 03:51 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,448 Times in 4,657 Posts
Default Ok, I finally ponied up ...

Advertise Here

And put a freeze dryer in layaway. This one:

https://harvestright.com/product/medium-freeze-dryer/

I love my Excalibur but some things just aren't the same once they are dehydrated. I'm really interested in how chicken, quail, duck and rabbit meat do because my freezer isn't gonna be big enough to hold all the meat I'm gonna have, and canned meat has it's limitations unless you are really into casseroles.

So ... Happy Birthday to me! I'll get it outta jail just about the time the fall harvest fires up. I can hardly wait!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 04:50 PM

I think you're going to love it.

We have not used ours too creatively with fancy recipes and stuff, but we've done loads of ground beef and chicken. I love the way freeze dried meat reconstitutes perfectly.

So long, crappy TVP "meat"!
The Following User Says Thank You to AGreyMan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 11:04 PM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
And put a freeze dryer in layaway. This one:

https://harvestright.com/product/medium-freeze-dryer/

I love my Excalibur but some things just aren't the same once they are dehydrated. I'm really interested in how chicken, quail, duck and rabbit meat do because my freezer isn't gonna be big enough to hold all the meat I'm gonna have, and canned meat has it's limitations unless you are really into casseroles.

So ... Happy Birthday to me! I'll get it outta jail just about the time the fall harvest fires up. I can hardly wait!
When do you get it and how much power does it use?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2018, 07:41 AM
I ain't doing that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc508abn View Post
When do you get it and how much power does it use?
I did the layaway plan because I just couldn't bring myself to take that much money out of the bank all at once and there is no finance charge. Seems like every time I make a big ticket purchase that is discretionary something breaks and I'm kicking myself for spending that money. Lol

The plan is to have it by the mid- to end of September.

Not sure about the cost of electricity. I joined a few FB groups dedicated to freeze drying and just started reading but the general consensus seems to be that the increase is somewhere between $8-10.00 a month.

Given the fact that I love avocados -- and don't care for frozen and thawed avocado -- this seems like a reasonable purchase. Kinda like the old man's reloading stuff is "reasonable" to him.

The thing I'm most concerned about is the noise. Our house isn't that big and I'm gonna be devastated if I wind up having to move it from the garage (which is convenient) out to the shed (which is not so convenient). We shall see ...

I'm back to trying to talk the old man into moving to an acreage closer to where I grew up (Duncan). I don't hold much hope I'll be able to get him to budge but I can nag ... maybe I can catch him in a weak moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:51 AM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
I did the layaway plan because I just couldn't bring myself to take that much money out of the bank all at once and there is no finance charge. Seems like every time I make a big ticket purchase that is discretionary something breaks and I'm kicking myself for spending that money. Lol

The plan is to have it by the mid- to end of September.

Not sure about the cost of electricity. I joined a few FB groups dedicated to freeze drying and just started reading but the general consensus seems to be that the increase is somewhere between $8-10.00 a month.

Given the fact that I love avocados -- and don't care for frozen and thawed avocado -- this seems like a reasonable purchase. Kinda like the old man's reloading stuff is "reasonable" to him.

The thing I'm most concerned about is the noise. Our house isn't that big and I'm gonna be devastated if I wind up having to move it from the garage (which is convenient) out to the shed (which is not so convenient). We shall see ...

I'm back to trying to talk the old man into moving to an acreage closer to where I grew up (Duncan). I don't hold much hope I'll be able to get him to budge but I can nag ... maybe I can catch him in a weak moment.
Would be good to see ya at more FGST lunches
The Following User Says Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:58 AM
I ain't doing that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc508abn View Post
Would be good to see ya at more FGST lunches
I hear ya! I told Grumpy last night I was gonna get with D.'s Household 6 about property prices down there so I could get a feel for what I need to get accomplished in the next year or so. Gotta work on the old man HARD first. He's not real keen on "country living".
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post: