Someone spain the farming/recipe for smokeless tobacoo - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you make your own smokeless powder? birddseedd Military Weapons Forum 23 03-23-2019 02:23 PM
Temperature sensitive smokeless powders BigSeanStudd Firearms General Discussion 10 08-26-2014 08:58 PM
Smokeless gunpowder shortage thelaststand Firearms General Discussion 1 10-21-2013 10:40 PM
Smokeless Powder //// ????????? surfcast Pistol and Revolver Forum 6 08-16-2013 04:06 PM
grimbo;s smokeless scout shelter fire.. REM Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 11-07-2012 03:44 PM
Smokeless fire?? peter martin Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 27 10-03-2012 04:37 PM
universal smokeless powder (reloading) Sloth Firearms General Discussion 29 03-04-2012 12:45 PM
DIY Smokeless Powder? Hammerhead6814 DIY - Do It Yourself 5 03-15-2010 12:31 PM
savage smokeless muzzleloader snowblind Firearms General Discussion 2 02-17-2008 05:30 AM

Old 09-07-2010, 05:43 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts
Default Someone spain the farming/recipe for smokeless tobacoo

Advertise Here

I'm familiar with growing/harvesting of burley which is used in the production of cigarettes. I'm also familiar enough to know it's not as easy as putting some dried burley in your mouth and getting any enjoyment from it (unless you like turning green and throwing up)

Does anyone here know what variety of tobacco is typically used for the smokeless, preferably dip, but chewing is fine also. Also, what is done during the growing, aging or processing as far as added flavoring or anything else that needs to be done to get similar results that you get from that bought in stores.

A side note. I've used the twist type tobacco like Mammoth Cave/King Bee and some others and while it will do, I would like something I won't have to use a knife to separate portions. Twist IMO is just a slight improvement from straight out of the field non improved gut wrenching tobacco. Not to offend those who like this type. It's just not for me.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Good questions...i dip...and would'nt like running out if my local 7/11 no long was "open for buisness"...lol!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 26,557 Times in 10,485 Posts

id say try delgold but i think that the use is primarily determined by how you cure it but i may be mistaken

check these guys out
http://www.coffinails.com/index.html
The Following User Says Thank You to FarmerJohn For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 10:31 AM
LASSIE! (I did it again)

Slightly off the original post, but when you mentioned "twist" I thought back to my dad and his brothers. My uncles would take us on a tour of the farm on the Missouri River bottom land, point out witness trees, old school houses and other landmarks. Uncle Paul always wore bib overalls with a twist at the ready in one of the front pockets. One day while on one of these tours my older brother, he was 17 at the time, thought he was grown up enough to try chewing tobacco. Dad let him have a bite off of Uncle Paul's twist. My brother turned 3 shades of green and it took him several days to recover. His suffering aside, it was one of the funniest things I can remember.
The Following User Says Thank You to timmyzinthewell For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2010, 06:24 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyzinthewell View Post
Slightly off the original post, but when you mentioned "twist" I thought back to my dad and his brothers. My uncles would take us on a tour of the farm on the Missouri River bottom land, point out witness trees, old school houses and other landmarks. Uncle Paul always wore bib overalls with a twist at the ready in one of the front pockets. One day while on one of these tours my older brother, he was 17 at the time, thought he was grown up enough to try chewing tobacco. Dad let him have a bite off of Uncle Paul's twist. My brother turned 3 shades of green and it took him several days to recover. His suffering aside, it was one of the funniest things I can remember.
I'd been using chewing tobacco and dip for years before I got the urge to try some twist tobacco and I had a difficult time with it.

I remember taking a bit early in the morning while gearing up for a day on the tractor. It took about 30 min for it to soften up enough to be bearable and I spit black until I took it out for lunch. Stoutest, longest lasting stuff I've ever tried.

Didn't enjoy it enough to swap over though.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:59 AM
drive a stake thru Islam

Thanked 1,253 Times in 505 Posts

You can also make a chewing tobacco referred to as plug, you take cured leafs one at a time layered flat, drizzle honey or molasses’s in between each layer of leafs until it is about two inches thick with the cured leaves, then press it flat, chewing tobacco contains a large amount of sugars, made it when i was younger but have since given up chewing. Here's a link to a recipe I just found, it seems right for twist.

http://tribes.tribe.net/tobaccopatch...b-ba696c8a6631
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scrappy1343 For This Useful Post: