Survivalist Forum banner

Very Low Cost SHTF BOL's for Europeans

186K views 1K replies 97 participants last post by  FerFAL 
#1 ·
If your are from UK or another part of Europe and are concerned about not having a good bol, there's a solution of sorts.

I live in Bulgaria and there are many many inexpensive places here, in very pretty locations.

I've lived here since 2006 and really really love it here. I think many people don't realize how nice it is.

In my village alone there are houses from 5,000 leva (approx 2,500 Euro) to about 30,000 leva (15,000 Euro). Most houses have at least 1/4 acre, which people here use for their vegetable gardens.

If you want to raise goats/dairy, not a problem. You don't need extra land for that because the shepherd/goatherd comes to take your animals every day, cost 2.50 leva per month per animal. I think the cows might be a bit more.

Most houses have their own boreholes for water (for the garden) as well as regular mains water.

In numerous villages there is great drinking water piped from the mountain aquifers into the village and this water is free.

The cost of living is the lowest in Europe.

The land is fertile and the weather/climate is good, there is a huge range of fruit and veg that grows here from figs, pomegranites, grapes to walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, peaches, cherries, apples and truffles, sunflowers, wheat, corn, potatoes, etc.

The country's agriculture is not advanced like many nations, which is actually beneficial. There are lots of small farms with small plots, so there's a lot of biodiversity.

The Villagers are friendly, although quite set in their ways. They always "know better! ;) They are also extremely hospitable.

There are several mountain ranges, with plains in between and we have the black sea coast. Nothing is very far away. In the summer you can enjoy the mountains and the coast, in the winter, if you feel like it, you can go skiing at Bansko.

It's a very beautiful country, sparse population, LOTS of nature and an abundance of wild life.

If you need help, let me know, I will do my best and help you find something you'll be happy with. I don't need money for this, I would love for others to come and enjoy it here as well, and it will also be great for a bunch of like minded people to form "loose" communities and pool some of their resources.

You can also look at Ebay UK, they often have low cost properties listed there. (Don't buy one without having seen it for yourself!!!) These will give you an indication of what's available.

You can either PM me or write your questions on this thread, I will answer honestly.

In the next day or so I will make a post on what you'd need to do to get a property here.

And after that I will write a post about the pitfalls to avoid and things of extra benefit, to look out for.

See less See more
#1,255 ·
I would very much like to visit Bulgaria some day. I've seen a number of pictures and would like to experience it in person. We went to Serbia 4 years ago and we really enjoyed it. We did the math and found we could probably live quite comfortably there.

#1,261 ·
As to the original premise of this thread, "SHTF bug out locations" it will be quite the slog to try to get to Hungary, Bulgaria, etc from the UK or even Germany if the S really did HTF.

They are more like cheap vacation home spots for normal times.

Reactions: Nomad 2nd
#1,262 ·
The premise of the thread was to bug out ahead of time not slog from other countries after the SHTF. They would be good vacation spots or homes for normal times though.

The reason I looked up this thread again was that Daisy just started another thread so she is alright. Kind of surprised she hasn't responded on this one.

#1,266 ·
Hi to the people who have been following the thread and wondering what happened.

All is good here :) I'll kind of update on the happenings for the last year or so, bit by bit. And I'll do me best to make some pictures here and there as well.

Mainly I've a friend who has been helping with structural projects over the last year or so, so didn't have as much time for garden, although this year I did make a really good dent in the back field.

I've been reading about the bad weather in USA and parts of Europe and sometimes it does seem a bit extreme.

We did have dry July and August, but we've not had ANY frost here yet, looks like maybe second week of December will be our first day we get some frost. So garden still quite green. This is not normal for here, Usually frost happens in October, sometimes as late as early november. I'm not complaining though, Two months of fuel I didn't use :)

I'm still incredibly pleased I live here and delighted 3 dogs is in Hungary, It's a similar kind of environment in many ways, maybe a bit more civilised ;)

I've spoken to about 3 or 4 Bulgarians recently, who moved abroad and really really want to come back. The main reason they moved was for more money, but they desperately miss the way of life they are used to and are working at coming back here. One woman who had moved to UK has already moved back.

I do have one Bulgarian friend who moved to UK who absolutely loves it htere, bought a house and brought her family from bulgaria over. She would never come back here, she loves the (business) opportunities there, and how neat and organized everything is by comparison to here.

It just goes to show, we're all different and have different viewpoints.

I'd kind of sluffed off on prepping the last year or two but am stepping up again now because the world just seems to be getting crazier and crazier. I love having my pantries and garden and stocks and supplies, what a feeling of comfort!

Hoping you all are doing the same and found your "places"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.