Survivalist Forum banner

The Link Between Nightshades, Chronic Pain and Inflammation

4K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Cranberry 
#1 · (Edited)
If you have some form of arthritis this might be interesting to some of you. If you are having problems then keep reading at the link to learn how to take them out of your system. It I eat more than 2 potato products in a month I start to hurt.

"Nightshades belong to the Solanaceae family which includes over 2,000 species. They also include some of the most popular foods consumed today; such as tomatoes, potatoes, all types of peppers, and eggplant. Although not truly nightshades, blueberries, huckleberries, goji berries and ashwaganda all share the same alkaloids which may have inflammation-inducing properties.

The Solanaceae family contains cholinesterase inhibiting glycoalkaloids and steroid alkaloids including, among others, solanine in potato and eggplant, tomatine in tomato, nicotine in tobacco, and capsaicin in garden peppers. The glycoalkaloids in potatoes are known to contribute to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and negatively affect intestinal permeability. (1,2) According to Dr. Marvin Childers, "When these inhibitors accumulate in the body, alone or with other cholinesterase inhibitors such as caffeine or food impurities containing systemic cholinesterase inhibiting pesticides, the result may be a paralytic-like muscle spasm, aches, pains, tenderness, inflammation, and stiff body movements." (3) These symptoms may dissipate in a few hours or days if ingestion is stopped, based on the sensitivity of the individual, the amount of nightshades consumed on a regular basis and their level of inflammation. However for some heavy consumers of nightshades the process of inflammation and pain reduction can take up to 3 months."

https://www.greenmedinfo.health/blog/link-between-nightshades-chronic-pain-and-inflammation

See less See more
#3 ·
Just so you know tomatoes if they are cooked into a sauce will have eliminated the effects of the tomatine. Cooking the tomatoes into the sauce changes the tomatine into non-harmful alkaloids. I have told people for years not to eat Night Shades because of this effect on the Joints.

Purple potatoes also are safe to eat.

#5 ·
^^^ Hot Peppers are part of the Night Shade family. I was terribly disappointed when I was on the Macrobiotic Diet and they were one of the NO NO to eat for that reason. that is where I learned a lot about which foods are OK and or not.

Reactions: arleigh
#9 ·
In my experience.... Those hot peppers help reduce the pain... Rather than add to it...

What they say... Sugar lowers your pain threshold... (makes you hurt)

Hot peppers and coffee raise your pain threshold... (you don't hurt as much).

Different people have different experiences, and when I tried eliminating nightshade from my diet... It didn't help... When I reintroduced nightshade into my diet, it didn't hurt...

So I'm gonna stick with the white sugar is bad theory, and any home grown produce is good...

The neat thing about home grown.... You are forced to get exercise... Even when it hurts... Stop moving, and see how quickly you stop being able to move....
Another thing about home grown.... You know that there were no poisons used... That you won't be making things worse by taking in additional toxins...

#11 ·
Capsaicin. That is the pain relieving chemical and I believe all peppers have it. They even make lotions with it.

#12 ·
Not nightshade family avoidance, but thought to quickly bring up what I've been doing. Other food avoidance can bring about pain relief.

Many aches and pains have gone away for me since I've been avoiding beef and dairy products. I began this diet the first of the month. (I work on my diet due to a GI condition) Today is a good example of that. Yesterday I did 40 pushups and a good number of dumbbell weight lifting. I was also on my feet for a good portion yesterday. This morning I'm not feeling sore. My muscles feel good. My joints are not sore.

If I was still eating beef and dairy products I'd be in a considerable amount of pain right now. I'm am tired but that seems to be the worst of it.

#13 ·
Yesterday I did 40 pushups and a good number of dumbbell weight lifting. I was also on my feet for a good portion yesterday. This morning I'm not feeling sore. My muscles feel good. My joints are not sore.

If I was still eating beef and dairy products I'd be in a considerable amount of pain right now. I'm am tired but that seems to be the worst of it.
Yeah, I eat waaaaay less meat than I used to... and it helps me too.
Not sure that I'm ready to give up eating cheese, though...

40 pushups and you don't hurt the next day? good on you!

I was recently working doing pullups... got up to 10 at a time and had to stop... hit a wall... as they say...

I'm on my feet most of each day too... and the bottoms of my feet hurt... thought it was my boots... but... even buying expensive quality boots doesn't seem to help...

#15 ·
I stopped eating meat except for the occasional fish in the 1980's. Since I didn't have any pain then, I don't know if this would help, but a doctor told me that my abnormal blood test results were actually marked as abnormal because they were healthier than what would be expected for someone my age, and that that is pretty normal for vegetarians. I don't really call myself vegetarian because I do eat dairy, eggs, and some fish, but don't really care about the label. It's about trying to stay healthy.

#16 ·
"Growing pains" that are common in kids that will likely be tall when they're done is most often a shortage of calcium and/or potassium. My #5 son (now 6 foot 4 inches) had terrible achy pains in his thighs and arms and knee joints starting when he was pre-teen.

Doc said pasteurizing milk seals the calcium and potassium molecules together so they can't be fully used. Most bodies can separate enough of it to get what it needs, but those with higher needs can't. Take a tablespoon of Mylanta (stomach ant-acid) twice a day and that does it for you. Sounds strange, but it worked.

He drank a gallon of milk a day all by himself by the time he was 14, so it's not a case of he didn't drink enough. Without the Mylanta he ached, with it he didn't.

#17 ·
Lol, well, that's definitely not me, I am only 5 ft 1 and a half inches tall. But I can remember wishing I could be 6 ft. I think I am past growing anymore at the age of 55.

But to your thought on the Mylanta, i'd heard that too and tried it several years ago. Didn't do anything for me, I still had the stomach pain until I kicked several things out of my diet that I had sensitivities to.

#19 ·
I'm starting today with avoiding the nightshade family. That's due to some muscle cramping I've been experiencing in my legs and back for the last two weeks.

I suspect I've narrowed down a meal I ate that brought about the muscle cramping. It's was a home made pizza most likely. Pizza is of course made up of many different food items, spices, tomato sauce, meats, cheese, wheat, etc. I'm slowly going through the different items, testing and seeing how the cramping feels.

I've learned that if I avoid all the items that make up a pizza the muscle cramping improves.

#23 ·
I'm off to a decent start with avoiding nightshades. The pains subsided yesterday. This is the second time for doing this of late, since the painful muscle cramping happened.

The first time I avoided I decided to test spices out. Of course spices and nightshade overlap with each other, red peppers are often considered and labeled as a spice I believe. I was testing garlic mainly in mind, as I made a pizza without spices. Soon after I ate the spice free tasteless pizza the muscle cramping came back.

Sometime today I'll eat some cheese and bread together and see how the muscles feel afterwards.

Overall though to me success depends upon long term success of being free of the muscle pains.

I've always had these muscle pains, just something they can be worse than other times, as is what happened when I ate pizzas a few weeks ago.

#26 ·
Well, the diet of avoiding nightshade and I'm still avoiding spices is working I suspect. My muscles are feeling much better. Of course it is hard to say with certainty that diet is responsible for the muscle cramping. It will take long term success to say with certainty that diet has been responsible.

It was frightening to experience the severe muscle pains though. It became tought to get around for about a week. Doing chores was difficulty too as lifting items was overly painful.

I had a grandmother and a great grandmother that developed severe muscle issues. Doctors never could figure out what was causing the problem. Physicians theorized what was happening but never were able to help my grandmothers, who went onto become invalids needing to use wheel chairs to get around.

I'll of course never know what caused my grandmothers health muscle issues as both have passed on, but it does make me wonder if they had issues with nightshade or possibly spices. Anyway, all speculation on my part. I'm happy though to be free, mostly, of the muscle pains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.