Survivalist Forum banner

Alexa Hacked

7K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  Dude111 
#1 ·
Saw a news report this morning on Alexa and it seems a team of researchers have found that Alexa can be hacked using a laser and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Somehow they are sending voice commands over the laser and it's inaudible, though Alexa can hear it. They can use the technique to make Alexa unlock doors, start cars, open garage doors, change the thermostat and a variety of other things that you may have Alexa set up to do, including bank and credit card transactions, should you have it. Going beyond that they've found that they can hack into any voice activated device using the technique. They said it's only a matter of time before more sophisticated hackers start doing this, so be warned. They said the only thing you can do is to make sure your Alexa (or other device) is not in the line of sight of a window, though that will not necessarily prevent it from being hacked.

Reason number 1000 for not having an Alexa or smart home..

#5 ·
Alexa hacked?

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you!
My exact reaction upon reading the thread title.

Anyone who wires their lives to the internet has traded personal security for convenience.

If you can access any physical functions via wireless/internet, somebody else can. And sooner or later, will.

#8 ·
Check out the story of James Bates, charged with murder. Not only did they get transcripts from his Alexa device, they used his water heater against him. He had a “smart” water heater, they pulled the info from it and determined he used a lot of water in the time just after the murder is thought to have taken place. They said the water consumption in the time just after the murder exceeded the amount of water he used in the 12 hours before the murder, they say that indicates he was cleaning the scene of the crime.

As several said in this post, anyone who puts one of those devices in their house needs their head examined.

#11 ·
Saw a news report this morning on Alexa and it seems a team of researchers have found that Alexa can be hacked using a laser and there's nothing you can do to stop it.
It is not just Alexa…
They can now use lasers to silently "speak" to any computer that receives voice commands—including smartphones, Amazon Echo speakers, Google Homes, and Facebook's Portal video chat devices.

True, but they did say that it was still possible for Alexa (and other devices) to pick it up if it was in the vicinity of a window.
The window allows line of sight to the device, line of sight is the key.

It is an interesting technique, but since I don't see the sky falling when I look up I don't think I will worry about it too much and continue happily using my Google Home Mini.

-ws

#17 ·
I just installed a Amazon smart plug and drove a couple of blocks away and turned on a lamp with the phone app. My Alexa itself is so stupid that all it can do is turn the tv on and off by voice control. I asked it to turn on plug one and it asked me if I wanted the tv on. This article makes it sound like every kid in town who has a laser pointer will be able to hack your Alexa. Maybe if the mob found out about my safe full of gold bars they might try to hack my security system otherwise I keep reading where the average thug isn't very bright. The town I live in is so small that we would notice if the Russian mob starts prowling around with lasers.

#18 ·
Another myth thought up by some junior high school kid who was bored. There are certain things that you should watch out for like somebody crowding against you to read you credit cards with a scanner. Carry them with foil wrapped around them. Street predators are dangerous and they hone their skills at learning how to ambush victims. The thug you run into will have learned how to have the odds in his favor but he won't be a genius and if you learn how you can protect yourself.

#25 ·
I have an Alexa, mostly use it for music outside on the deck in summer. In the house, my girlfriend puts it on when she cooks, otherwise I have a suitable pot over it on the counter. I do not have it hooked up to anything.

I live mostly alone with 2 cats, what I have to say is exciting. Your main privacy threat is the smart phone as well as any other smart device. If I'm talking with friends, I park my phone under my thigh or it sits in another room, also leave it in the car.

#26 ·
We are truly in "1984" territory and it's pretty terrifying really. All candy coated in "convenience."

If you have ANY smartphone, it probably comes with a "voice activated assistant" similar to Alexa. Go into your settings and disable it and remove it if you can. At minimum disable the settings and deny access to the microphone and other permissions.

Probably not over-the-top to store it in a drawer, pocket, or something that muffles conversation when not in immediate use.

Google, Samsung, Apple, etc. all have this spyware that listens and surely records and stores your conversations. They might deny it, but they lie.

I would never own one on purpose, and do my best to disable anything on a phone.

#29 ·
I would never own one on purpose, and do my best to disable anything on a phone.
For me... the convenience is worth it. I call on Alexa and Siri 20 times a day... but I almost never plot a bank robbery in the kitchen.

I have traded some privacy for having nearly every song ever recorded ready to go with a word and being able to turn on the porch light without getting out of bed. I don't know if Apple and Amazon are spying on me... but I do know that if they are they are more bored than I am.

#39 ·
Yeah, I just looked it up. Interestingly, it said it’s on Samsung phones 8 and newer, but my phone has it and it’s a Samsung 7. Did a search in settings and when I tried to deny its permissions I got a pop up that said my phone “may” not function as intended. I think that might just be clever wording to stop people from doing it. I’ll do some research today and figure out how to disable it. Like I said though, I’ve never activated it. Apparently on newer devices the phones come with it preactivated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.