Survivalist Forum banner

Moderator Applications

96K views 65 replies 48 participants last post by  MTShawn 
#1 ·
We are accepting applications for moderators. If someone wishes to apply post a reply to this thread.

Please include why you think you would make a good moderator.

#2 ·
I will help out as needed.

My credentials:

Current Administrator for a few VW websites: Olydubs (now on Tapatalk) and BugsWest (links on request) as well as some smaller VW club websites.

I am very familiar with activating accounts, adjusting permissions, and general board maintenance. I understand and can use/manipulate HTML and to a lesser extent, JAVA.

I am fairly conservative with my speech and generally non-confrontational. I think my history trail here will support that.

However, in the spirit of full disclosure, I did earn my self a pair of infractions that are also in my history trail.

Thanks
CF

#3 ·
Well, I'm not the most computer savvy individual on this board, but I'm not stupid. I would think I would be most helpful in the Firearms/Knives/ Military sections, but I am well versed in Orienteering, Wilderness Survival and Urban Survival.

One thing I don't do well with, is people who give out wrong information or try to boost their credibility by inflating their accomplishments or outright lies.

If you need assistance I'll help out. If you can put up with me. If it isn't working out, don't worry, I'll pull the plug.

Jim

#6 · (Edited)
I have been a moderator on several forums in the past but i also have been given time outs on this forum... a couple times deservedly so and a couple times because of the vindictiveness of others. I have been a moderator on the Social Security Disability Facts Forum which is still an an active forum and also the now defunct Carvin Audio Forum. I am not worried whether I am picked or not to serve but just know living in Hungary I can cover hours that most of the US moderators are sleeping.

Withdraw me from consideration, I just got a new major remodeling project at my house and will not have adequate time.

#9 ·
Nada
Nothing
Zero
Zilch

All staff and mods are unpaid volunteers.

:thumb:

#20 ·
Until this thread (and seeing my name mentioned here), I never dreamed I could possibly have the opportunity to be an asset to this forum.

Because of extensive experience and passion in these subjects, I feel like I would be a strong asset to three subforums: Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum (and its own subforum: Edible and Non-Edible Plants) and also the Farming, Gardening & Homesteading forum. (For a little more on my background, see the biography in the “about me” section of my profile on this board.)

I have also had experience in forum moderating and enjoyed contributing to their success while I was there. That was a long time ago, but the principles of growing a good community remain the same.

If I was honored with the position of moderating those three forums, it could be an excellent opportunity for me to put to work a few ideas that I have been chewing on to help increase interest and participation in those areas.

#25 ·
Uh oh… In the past few days, an unforeseen event threw some unexpected changes my way. I may not have enough wiggle room to take care of my existing responsibilities, plus moderating SB, plus dealing with recent new stuff.

Now there is just too much stuff that I need to take care of, so be fair to this board, I better withdraw my moderator application. As of this writing, there is so much on my plate that I don’t think I would be able to spend the time and attention that the good people of this board deserve.

I want to thank those of you who vouched for me as your moderator. I’m not leaving, though! I'm staying on here until the SHTF and all of our devices have melted into lumps of plastic, lol.

>>hat tip to y’all<<

#26 ·
I trust that the new moderator will be named publicly here. I know moderators police the board, however I don't know specifically what moderators do, but are the duties delegated? Example: If I have issue "A" do I need to go through a specific moderator to solve my problem with issue "A"?

Can you give me a 'behind the scenes' explanations as to what the moderators do? I have a long standing problem, but don't want to be a pain in the @$$ to get it resolved. If I know what happens back stage maybe I can get a better idea as to how to solve it.

#27 ·
I trust that the new moderator will be named publicly here. I know moderators police the board, however I don't know specifically what moderators do, but are the duties delegated? Example: If I have issue "A" do I need to go through a specific moderator to solve my problem with issue "A"?

Can you give me a 'behind the scenes' explanations as to what the moderators do? I have a long standing problem, but don't want to be a pain in the ass to get it resolved. If I know what happens back stage maybe I can get a better idea as to how to solve it.
Moderators have a little tag below their name that says moderator (staff have staff) and you can contact us through pm's or post a thread in https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

All threads started in that section are only visible to the person starting the thread and the mods/staff/admins

If you or anyone see's a post or thread you feel violates a rule just click the red and white triangle at the top right corner of every post. It will send an email to every mod and we will deal with it as soon as we can.

You can view a list of all the admins, mods and staff here... (skip the first section called moderators, those are the approved merchants and they only have access to their specific section where they advertise, the forum moderators are listed as super moderators) https://www.survivalistboards.com/showgroups.php

also... just type curse words out like they are spelled and let the word filter do it's job.

#30 ·
I'll throw my hat into the ring, if you still need moderators.

- I have never put anyone on "ignore," because, even when I disagree with someone's opinion, I believe they should always be given the benefit of the doubt that their next contribution might be worthwhile.

- I have no nemeses. In fact, I try to objectively give credit where it's due, thanking posts that deserve it by people with whom I have disagreed in other threads.

- For someone who has been a member here for a decade and made tens of thousands of posts, I have very few infractions.

- I like to imagine that my posts contribute to maintaining the expected decorum on this site.

If you still need moderators, and you believe I have the correct temperament, I am available.

#33 ·
It’s an ongoing process, we look at post history, infractions, etc of each person and Kev contacts them to see if they really want it. So far just one has made the cut but it’s not because the others aren’t still in the running, it’s because some of us are old and slow....

#34 ·
I have to confess that I have considered tossing my hat in the ring here. I've had some experience with the job before but it's been several years ago. Though it can be stressful when things get controversial, I enjoyed being a part of it.
I have not offered here for a couple of reasons that I feel disqualify me. First, I almost never use my laptop or any machine other than my phone anymore. I access the forum through Tapatalk and so would not be able to access Mod functions without changing my M.O.. Second, I am concerned about whether I could detach myself enough from some topics that get me spun up occasionally. Thirdly, there are times when I need to focus my attention on business, though less and less as time goes on. None probably insurmountable but they are what has kept me away from offering to help out.
If you are considering but are on the fence for your own reasons, think some more and maybe offer yourself. You are probably more qualified than you think you are.
It is a thankless job, for sure, but in it's own way can be rewarding. It's pretty cool to be part of something like this at this level.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.