Survivalist Forum banner

Tools

6K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  country_boy 
#1 ·
Opinions on good budget hand tools, sockets wrenches etc. To get my son for Xmas?

#13 ·
I also have a lot of craftsman and snapon tools but I have a much different opinion. The wrenches and ratchets and sockets are definitely not the same quality.
30 years ago they were closer and if you weren’t earning a living with them Craftsman was the better value. In recent years Snapon has slipped some but not nearly as much as Craftsman. IMO

#3 ·
I use the budget Husky brand from Home Depot.

It's pretty much hit and miss though. I find that the Husky screwdrivers are great. They have good grips on them and seem very durable.

However I have a bunch of different size pliers I got from a Husky multi-pack. Everyone of them immediately rusted even though they were stored away in a tool box. I put a bit of oil on them and they are usable now, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone else.

So far I have no issue with Husky sockets/wrenches, they seem fine.

#7 ·
My main tools when making a living were always Snap-On. Hand tools at home were Craftsman when they were considered well made.

Over the last decade, I have realized that Cobalt and Husky tools are worth having. Also both brands have the swivel head ratchet wrench sets, that were originally made by Gearwrench. These are very useful along with standard wrench sets.

For screwdriver sets, there are some chinese clones of Snap-On that are great. But plenty of other cheap copies that are garbage. I used these sets often and lost plenty that they were cheap enough to keep replacing occasionally as needed.

The really good clones used to be about $7 for the complete set. The bad sets were not completely full size compared to original Snap-On screwdrivers. These are 8 different sizes in these particular sets. Any of the real large sets I have seen were mostly garbage and very few were really useful.

Channel lock and vicegrip are always good to go for most of their specific use tools.

#9 ·
Is he going to use them often or just in case. Good tools will last lifetimes, crappy tools not so much.

When I worked aviation back in the 70's, there were often recessed bolts. A Snap On socket would fit, an SK Wayne wouldn't fit in the hole. Cheaper material/quality control on things like heat treatment requires thicker stock. S&W vs Ruger is sort of the same thing.

#10 ·
Craftsman screwdrivers are ok if you are going to abuse them and use for prying and pounding. But Klein and some other cheap brand i can't remember have hardened tips, you can see the different metal. These are best for actual screwing and not damaging anything and give a much better bite. Square drive or equivalent are best for power driving. Harbor freight has a set of socket holders you can chuck into a drill motor for a few bucks. Sockets can wiggle a little so you don't have to be exactly 90*.
Some name brand tools are better, channel lock for pump pliers though some like the expensive german ones, klien for lineman pliers get the ones with hardened cutters, crescent for adjustable wrenches.

#18 ·
Get him some higher quality tools than HF. Those HF tools really have no value, and won't be treated as if they do.

The suggestion above regarding Channellock pliers is a great one.

Also, these Knipex smooth jaw pliers in 6 inch and 10 inch are wonderful tools. As the jaws close in a parallel manner, they are exceedingly useful for all sorts of tasks that require a careful squeeze or grab.

Another thought is also a soldering station but throw out the lead-free solder and instead include a roll of Kester 44 solder.

Yellow handled Wiss straight cut shears will cut just about anything tough and can cut sheet metal with ease, such as when trying to gain access to something inside a metal box.

#19 ·
Tried and true Craftsman fan here, that is until they started cutting corners and using plastic parts, eventually moving production overseas. I love my Snap-On tools, but Craftsman just fits better in my hand, which in my mind is most important when fitting a tool. I have shortish fingers and large palms, wear a Cadet Large glove. If I were to decide to get a set of tools for my rug rat, I would give her/him a gift card to go to a brick and morter, find the tool that fits his/her had the best and then go from there. Sad what happened to Craftsman, that brand will be gone in ten years.

#22 ·
Tried and true Craftsman fan here, that is until they started cutting corners and using plastic parts, eventually moving production overseas. ....
The problem ISN'T "overseas". The problem is production of most of the tools was moved to chicomland. Yes with intensive Western supervision of the PLA factory it is possible to get decent quality goods but it is a rare company that will make the expenditure. Most just (marketer driven) take whatever cr_p the commies ship.

#20 ·
Well, he asked for BUDGET tools, so I think that leaves out Knipex, Klein and Snapon. :)

Making a blanket statement that all HF tools are junk is just wrong. They do sell some junk, and they sell some good stuff. LIke I said, their Pittsburgh line of hand tools is decent quality.

Their Earthquake 1/2" battery impact wrench is just about the most powerful battery powered impact wrench on the market.
Their floor jacks pretty much own the market.
Wrenches, socket sets, breaker bars, impact tools, pry bars, chisels, hammers are just fine.

For a 3/8 inch battery powered ratchet, I bought some off brand name $70 thing off Amazon and it is the favorite tool I own. "Von Haus" or something was the name. I bet it has double the torq of a Milwaukee power ratchet and like 1/3 the price. :)

I have to be careful it doesn't break smaller bolts off.

Looks like it is not sold by Amazon anymore.

Here is something that might be the same.
https://www.amazon.com/Cordless-Ele...=power+ratchet+von+haus&qid=1574445005&sr=8-1

I like Kobalt a lot more, but HF works for budget tools.

tools not to buy at HF

#23 ·
You know you're getting old when....

You can remember reaching into a tool box and seeing Made in Japan on the tool and thinking "Man, these are total crap.."

Now adays, you reach into a tool box and pull out a tool that has Made in Japan stamped on it and think to yourself "Well, at least it's not that Chinese crap.."

I picked a yard sale a few years ago and the lady had two boxes of Craftsman sockets.. I looked at both boxes, one had rust on all the tools.. She was selling those sockets for .50 a piece and I ended up buying those for the whole box at $5.00. I also bought the non-rusted box of Craftsman sockets for another $8.00.

I left there, went to Sears and traded all the rusty ones in on brand new shiny Craftsman sockets..

You have to be careful when you run across Craftsman sockets as before Sears shut down, they were getting them made in China. I split a 7/8" deep well socket with nothing but my half inch drive ratchet.. That never would have happened years ago and I still have some of my original box of Craftsman tools I bought back in 1980 for working at a gas station running a tow truck.

#25 ·
I stay way from Harbor Freight tools. It is "what you pay for" and you aren't going to get much value from them. Buy good tools and your son will be using them long after you have passed.

I bought good tools and they didn't let me down. I am am 75 years old and my three grown sons want my tools when I pass.

Teach him to take care of his tools....

#28 ·
I hear you there brother.. My wife likes to go to HF and I usually sit in the truck. I'd rather go into Michaels and look at Nifty Knitters than ever think about buying HF tools..

Fortunately I find all my Knifty Knitters at yard sales along with garbage bags full of yarn for a couple of bucks a bag..

Yes, I'm a man, I knit but, I still don't know what "Knit one, purl 2" means or what on earth women carry in those big purses..

I have plenty of "man bags" made of leather along with back packs of all sizes.. My wife calls them my "murses"..

The knitting is just something I'll do while sitting in my shop smoking a fine cigar. I usually give the hats away to friends. If anyone insists on paying me for one, I take the money and donate it to an animal shelter.

#31 ·
My Mom always had some type of needle and thread in her hands. She was always making something. I can still remember sitting in the living room and we'd be talking and I'd look over and she was sound asleep, still sitting up in her chair, her hands doing some project while she slept.. Then you'd see her frown and hear her say "Aw shoot." and then her hands would go to pulling out the 2 or 3 rows of work she had done on her dream project..

I'm sure she's been making blankets for babies up in heaven where she's been for 10 years now..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.