Survivalist Forum banner

Yaesu FT-4XR ??

10K views 52 replies 16 participants last post by  Lagnar 
#1 ·
I will be taking the Technician exam next week. Assuming I pass, I was thinking of a Yaesu FT-4XR VHF/UHF transceiver for my first rig.

I've never had a ham license before. But I do know a little about the subject as my Dad was a ham for many years. I studied the subject back then but never got around to taking the exam.

Any of you use the FT-4XR? If so, what do you find to be it's strengths and weaknesses?

#6 ·
i would get a 2 meter rig with 50 watts , you will be able to work a lot more repeaters and simplex transmission. i bought a yaesu vx 7 as my first rig, worked some satellites with it but the 2 meter rig has been used 10 times more than the HT.

this weekend i was out with the local ares group and used both my yaesu and my baofeng, still the 2 meter rig in the car was used a lot also.

better order your baofengs quick as they will not be legal to be sold next month. for a 27 dollar radio what do you want, i liked using mine , lots of accessories like throat mikes,speaker mikes, antennas, batteries are inexpensive.

alex

#7 ·
The Baofengs are cheap radios sure, but they work. and I've got three of them for what a good radio cost and can give them to my neighbors to use in a SHTF event and not be out much money if they get broken. At 28 bucks each its a cheap way for a newby to get into Ham without spending a lot of money up front, face it some people get into ham radio and never really do anything with it, why spend hundreds of dollars for a hobbie you may not enjoy or get much use from. one can always upgrade later

#11 ·
I am not familiar with the ft-4xr. It looks like a great rig for the money.

I own two Yaesu VFH-UHF transceivers. My HT is an FT-60r. It is much higher quality than the Bao Feng. It has been dropped, slid across concrete like a hockey puck, and otherwise abused. It has never missed a lick. I also have a ft-7900 mobile transceiver that I use as a VHF-UHF base station. Both radios are rock solid.

I own a UV-5r and a similar Bao Feng that is slightly more powerful. They are OK, but are not as rugged and reliable. Most hams in my local club own one or two, but Yaesu, Icom, Alinco, Kenwood, etc are much better rigs.

Be aware that Yaesu has been subcontracting some of their HTs to BaoFeng factory in China. Those radios are nothing more than repackaged BaoFeng junk. You can remove the battery on the Yaesu and look inside the battery well. There should be a little sticker in there that says Made in Japan or Made in China. You want the Japanese one.

Hope this helps.

#12 ·
Congratulations on your license and your new purchase. As somebody who has had lots of experience with both Baofengs and Yaesus, I'm quite confident in saying that you will be much happier with the Yaesu because of their build quality. The PTT switch angle can be annoying at times, but I'm sure you will get used to it. You might want to look into the program called CHIRP:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

It's free, and they have a program for the FT-4XR. CHIRP can be a little finicky at times, but with some time involved you will get the hang of it. You can get a programming cable on E-Bay, but be careful of cheap knockoffs. Enjoy. Just my 2 cents. 73

#13 ·
I did a little research on the Yaesu FT-4Xr HT. It seems to be either a Yaesu - Bao Feng hybrid abomination or simply repackaged Bao Feng. Either way it seems to be manufactured in China at the Bao Feng factory.

I used to trust Yaesu completely, but I am becoming very wary of their products.

I am so glad we have the internet.

#37 ·
It was my understanding that the FT-4XR was Yaesu's answer to the cheap Baofengs flooding the market, and made in China. Despite the low price point, the reviewers over at Eham.net seem to like, so hard to say if it is more chinese junk. An FT-60R is also another solid choice and probably what I should have bought for my first radio (I bought the now discontinued VX-7R). Someone said the FT-60R is discontinued, but I see they are still listed on the Yaesu website, and you can buy them new from dealers.

Congratulations on your license and your new purchase. As somebody who has had lots of experience with both Baofengs and Yaesus, I'm quite confident in saying that you will be much happier with the Yaesu because of their build quality. The PTT switch angle can be annoying at times, but I'm sure you will get used to it. You might want to look into the program called CHIRP:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

It's free, and they have a program for the FT-4XR. CHIRP can be a little finicky at times, but with some time involved you will get the hang of it. You can get a programming cable on E-Bay, but be careful of cheap knockoffs. Enjoy. Just my 2 cents. 73
I would say that whatever radio you buy, it would be REALLY nice if it works with CHIRP. I have a TERA and have to use their free software...and it sucks. I use CHIRP for my 2 Yaesu's. I have considered getting the software from RT Systems (link) for my radios. I hear the software is very nice, but they make the software very specific to the individual radio model...so you end up dropping a decent amount of cash on software.

I don't have experience with any of the other big names, but I've been pleased with Yaesu customer support. The filters went bad in my VX-7R; a phone call later plus a few dollars, I had new parts on the way.

#14 ·
I will be taking the Technician exam next week. Assuming I pass, I was thinking of a Yaesu FT-4XR VHF/UHF transceiver for my first rig.
Here's a tip: check the "Extra Class" box on the exam application. One exam or three, it's the same price, and after you pass the Technician you can take the General, and who knows?

Any of you use the FT-4XR? If so, what do you find to be it's strengths and weaknesses?
I'm not familiar with the rig, but it's probably a good rig to use to get your feet wet. I suggest, though, that you join your local ham radio club and learn from the older ham about the wide variety of modes, equipment, and techniques which might interest you in the future. You can find your local ARRL (American Radio Relay League) Affiliated club at http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club.

I recommend joining a club because it's easy to "plateau" at the license class you're using now: I assume you have a family, and there'll always be lots of other demands on your time, so it's a good idea IMHO to find out about other parts of the hobby that might justify the time needed to move up to Extra class. Remember, once you're there, it's done forever, so it's best to get it done while you're young.

HTH.

William Warren

#15 ·
Great News! I passed the Technician exam Saturday morning. As soon as my call sign is up on the FCC's website, I can commence transmitting.

I got the Yaesu and am using it to receive for now. There's been a fair number of hams using the 2 meter band, especially on the local repeater's frequency. I haven't heard much on the 70 cm band.

The Yaesu FT-4xr appears to be a solid receiver. We'll see about the transmitter. The programming, especially for the memory, is confusing as hell.

#19 ·
I'm in business! My call sign showed up on the FCC's website last Tuesday night and I've been communicating with other hams on 2 meters quite a bit. I have been able to access a couple of different repeaters.

The programming of the Memory is confusing and the manual is confusing as well. They tell you how to enter a tone code for a repeater but they don't tell you very well how to turn on the tones, or that you need to turn them on. I think the author of the manual is someone whose native language is not American English.

The transmitter and receiver appear to function well and the repeater offset works well and is automatic. Transmitter doesn't do very well for the closest repeater (about 15 miles), I think mostly because my house is surrounded by tall oak trees and their leaves have yet to drop. For the long term I will get some type of mobile VHF transceiver for use at home with a DC power supply. And use this Yaesu HT for when I'm away from home.

#21 ·
Well done getting your ticket. I have a couple of UV-5R+ with better antennas, speaker mikes, extra battery packs, one even takes AA's, car chargers. They work. CHIRP works, PIA getting the proper driver to load for the programming cable.

I had a Icom V-8000 but I gave it back to the guy that gave it to me. I now have 2 Yaesu FT-2980 and the good programming software from RT systems. At home I have a small battery bank with solar panels, plus a power supply. I have some 10-30 VDC LED's to light my radio area. With the flick of a switch I can go from AC to DC, and a second switch changes from bank A to B. Have an MFJ at 30', a yagi at 25' and a J pole at 20'.

#35 ·
I've been on a shopping spree

Did a lot of research, read a lot of reviews, checked a lot of specs.

Bought the Yaesu FT-8900 because I have no use for digital now and would have even less in a SHTF situation. The internet is NOT radio. I upgraded all my feed lines to LMR-240 equivalent. Found a happy spot for my Diamond x200 and my 13B2 is getting an overhaul.

I researched all the main brands of mobiles and HTs. The latest generations are based on the direct conversion radio on a chip. The FT-4XR is nothing more than a warmed over baofeng in Yaesu clothing.

My next purchase is going to be the Yaesu FT-60R because it's no longer being made, it has a dual conversion superhet receiver and I need to get while the getting is good. Yaesu used to make the FT-277 which is a 440 version of the FT-270 which is an updated VX-170. I want a dual-band HT that is NOT a baofeng or a baofeng clone.

I made an S9 simplex contact with my buddy over the mountains and through the woods with my existing 2m base/mobile rig. 40 miles as the crow flies. Both using omnidirectional antennas and 50 watts.

#41 ·
An Update

An Update:

I got my Yaesu FT-4XR and my Tech license about one month ago. The HT has worked well for me on the whole and is generally solid and reliable.

There are several 2 meter and 440 MHz repeaters in my metro area. Most have antennas 200+ feet above ground. My Yaesu usually does quite well with them. I've made several new friends among the hams in my area, talking on the repeaters. But the little rubber ducky antenna can give mixed results when big buildings or trees are present. I have found 440 MHz often works better in such conditions than 2 meters.

I'm learning that 5 watt HTs with rubber ducky antennas are not so great in simplex mode. My friend with a Baofeng HT and I tested our radios in simplex where I drove various distances down an interstate, got out of the car, and tested the line-of-sight range. HTs are useful somewhere between 1 to 2 miles at 2 meters and less than one mile at 440 MHz.

But, if one of the participants has a base station with a taller antenna and a more powerful (50+ watt) transmitter, the useful contact range can go out to 20 - 30 miles in simplex. I found this to be the case with a couple of contacts I met on the repeaters, and then we went to simplex.

The Yaesu is a solid, dependable HT. But the programming can be quirky. For some reason it was automatically doing a repeater offset for every simplex frequency we tried in the 440 MHz band. I couldn't figure out how to turn off the offset until I got home and looked it up in the manual.

I have ordered a Diamond MR73SJ mobile antenna for use when I am in my car and also for a better antenna when at home. When I get a chance to test it, I will post the results here.

#43 ·
I have ordered a Diamond MR73SJ mobile antenna for use when I am in my car and also for a better antenna when at home. When I get a chance to test it, I will post the results here.
Yes, a good antenna is everything. The SMA connection on the newer HTs is a bit fragile for something like an end-fed half wave that REALLY gets you out compared to the rubber attenuator that comes on these things.

For a mobile look for a 5/8 wave or 1/2 wave and not a 1/4 wave on 2m. Granted the MR73SJ is much better than the rubber duck, but not optimal.

You want to look at the gain numbers.

https://www.diamondantenna.net/Product_Catalog/mobile.html

dBi is gain compared to a point in space. dBd is gain compared to a reference dipole.

https://www.m2inc.com/blog/dbi-vs-dbd/

====

I can work my friend 40 miles away over 9000 foot mountains, on 2m simplex running 5 watts and a Diamond X200 antenna. He says my signal is S7 or better.

===

I bought the ANLI AL-800 for my old FT-530 which I no longer have.

http://www.advancedspecialties.net/amateurantennas.htm

Then a BNC to SMA adapter to work with my new radios. 3.2/5.6 dBi.

#44 ·
The mobile antenna is giving me good results when I'm in my car, communicating on the 2 meter & 70 cm repeaters. My contacts have told me that my signal is strong and clear. I haven't tried it on simplex mode yet.

Lagnar, I can definitely see your points about using a 5/8 wave antenna on 2 meters instead of just a 1/4 wave. But for me the new Diamond is a considerable improvement, especially on 70 cm. It really helps just to get the antenna out of the car.

#46 ·
Lagnar is right on two points; a good antenna system outweighs equipment IMO and "it" is never enough, LOL.

I have radios from three manufacturers. Although I miss my boat anchors, ran out of space/time, I don't really because I can focus on other things that are more important to me. My 'newest' HF rig is almost 20 years old, currently tuned to an AM radio station in Nebraska KRVN (which ain't nowhere's around here LOL) but they have pretty good news. No, not going anywhere NEAR that place because its currently 22 degrees LOL. Whatever radio you settle on for other things, learn to use it. Most these days are a bit complicated with their endless menu choices and with Icom on this truck, Yaesu in THAT truck, Icom handheld, Yaesu handheld (several different models LOL) a Kenwood next to the Icom on the desk....LOL. Keep the manuals handy but the best way to get good at it is to USE them!

#47 ·
Whatever radio you settle on for other things, learn to use it. Most these days are a bit complicated with their endless menu choices and with Icom on this truck, Yaesu in THAT truck, Icom handheld, Yaesu handheld (several different models LOL) a Kenwood next to the Icom on the desk....LOL. Keep the manuals handy but the best way to get good at it is to USE them!
Truth!

Back when I first got my license (we got them together) me and all my friends were very active. We had the same radios, the same antennas; we talked endlessly about radio, antennas, propagation, joined the nets and so forth.

We LEARNED our radios and learned from each other because we had the same radios. The old Yaesu FT-530 did everything including X-band repeat. I made cheat sheets for many functions.

Today's radios do so much that I doubt I'll ever use all their capabilities. I mean who's going to fill 1000 memories? The more they do, the more complicated their operation.

It's a great hobby and there's some great used equipment out there. Some of the best stuff is no longer made unfortunately. Remember the Radio Shack HTX-202?

Look at the speaker on that thing. Three knobs. On/off-volume, squelch, tune.

#48 ·
Oh yes. I might still have one of those stashed away LOL along with some other RS goodies in sealed tins.. I remember Radio Shack very well. There was a time I bought all my radio stuff from them, Allied Radio, Lafayette Radio and Heathkit. Been going through some old paperwork looking for my DD-214 so I can update my DL to one of those stupid travel IDs....found my mom's first CB license...and mine, circa 1970-something LOL.

The new radios are certainly capable. My Icom 756Pro is still my favorite. The ProII and III had updated filters, the original 756 and Pro had some ringing to the filters but I'm getting so deaf it doesn't bother me much. Its still a wonderful radio. One of my good friends works at the HRO and in addition to old home week LOL, he's a wealth of info and I really have to limit my visits otherwise I'd have more new radios LOL. Some of the new stuff is really cool.

I'm still a fan of older gear. My first love was a Kenwood 830S. Second was a 180S which was similar but with solid state finals. Same excellent receiver. The one I have is #3 I think, had one back when, that went to pay bills instead of the 830, bought another at a hamfest later, sold that one, don't remember what I got with the money now I have this one. Had it probably fifteen years, sent it to Burkhardt's for an alignment and servicing and its done solid duty. Have the SP-180, VFO-180 and an SM-220 that is in the feedlines to all the rigs of course. Over the years I've had Drakes, a Swan and tinkered with others but I pretty much got that boat anchor stuff out of my system LOL.

#49 ·
Oh yes. I might still have one of those stashed away LOL along with some other RS goodies in sealed tins.. I remember Radio Shack very well. There was a time I bought all my radio stuff from them, Allied Radio, Lafayette Radio and Heathkit. Been going through some old paperwork looking for my DD-214 so I can update my DL to one of those stupid travel IDs....found my mom's first CB license...and mine, circa 1970-something LOL.
Oh my. Allied Radio, Lafayette Radio and Heathkit. I used to get all those catalogs. My CB license was KY*7*71. My buddy's was KNE0160. We used to have the most hilarious skunk hunts where the skunk would hide, give clues over the radio and everybody else would try to find them. Whoever found them got to be "it".

I didn't want to learn code so I didn't go the ham route back in the 70s.

I still have a couple of CBs and my 108" whip - just because I can't throw stuff away. I also have a one tube "heater" that used to live under my car seat. :eek:

Those were fun years. Everybody had a "handle". Betty Ford was "First Mama".

#50 ·
A stint with the Lost Boyz, couple overseas tours, a nice career after that got in the way for me LOL. Been a ham a little over 20 years now. Didn't get to take the 20WPM test for code. They 86'd that when I got my extra.

CB was cool back then. Not so much these days, every once in a while I tund in to see but its certainly not what it was. Had a hell of a lot of fun with it when it was though.

#52 ·
Four? LOL, I'da joined the Navy too! Of course, that didn't work out too well for a coupla guys I know, one ran PBR's on the river, the other got tangled up with some helicopter outfit working the same areas but a little to the left....lol.

The 5 wpm was like learning a new language. I choked on the one minute perfect copy, missed two friggin letters. I made it on the multiple choice test after though. The hardest hump was busting 10wpm. After that 13 came easy it seemed and I was almost up to 20 when they did away with code completely. Don't disagree with that.

I got into PSK for a while when it was first popular and had a raving good time with that. Keyboard code just wasn't fun. I've fallen out of practice though, been having way more fun on V/UHF and SSB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.