Survivalist Forum banner

I'm Moving To Utah!

14K views 90 replies 24 participants last post by  ActionJackson 
#1 ·
I've made a decision. I've been in Colorado for about 19 years and it has continually gone downhill ever since. (I hope that's not my fault! :D:) Ever since they legalized pot, the druggies from around the nation have swarmed in. That's what the Dems wanted. They recently voted a queer to be the State's Governor and he's as left as you can get. They just passed a new law legalizing hallucinogenic mushrooms or "Magic Mushrooms" which is a psychedelic drug that renders a person unpredictable and potentially dangerous.

They also passed Trump's "Red Flag Law" which allows law enforcement to steal a person's guns without due process. King George would be proud!

So ... I'm getting the hell out of here and am currently planning on moving to St. George, UT in mid-August.

My question to you Utahans: Is St. George a decent area to live in? I chose it because of its natural beauty; warm (hot) climate; and Utah's conservative values (especially where guns are concerned). Am I missing anything?

#52 ·
I keep hearing "poor planning." The planning wasn't actually that bad. I couldn't help the fact that the day I went to pick up my U-Haul trailer that they acted as if they didn't know what I was talking about. I had a printout of the confirmation yet they didn't have a trailer. That was the key to much of my current issues. Had I been able to take my safe with me ... I would have had my vital paperwork.

I also found from one of the locals (the guy who's going to fix my transmission) that the employers in this area are trying to discourage folks from out of town moving into their city. They're going out of their way to hire locals or other Utahans before hiring folks from other states. Kind of hard to plan for that. This guy seems like an honest guy so I have no reason to doubt him.

Anyway ... I can't think of a time in my life when anything went as "planned." Sometimes you just have to have the pioneer spirit and head into a situation with faith, self-confidence, and courage and expect the best. Having lived in 9 states (including Utah in the early 80s) I can't think of a time when I ran into the brick walls I did in this case. Live and learn. I learned some things. Hopefully others did as well. Simply put ... we're not as free as we used to be. I was born in the wrong era. Pioneers don't fit in today's bureaucratic climate.

#54 ·
I can sympathize, I really can. I had a very similar negative experience. But it worked out. Let me share.

About 20 years ago, I made a similar radical life change and took a gamble. I had applied to several law schools and took a gamble on moving 2000 miles to my top choice.

Mind you, this was pre-information age like we have now. This was essentially telephone calls and letters and old-school paper maps. I might have had a computer but no internet. I sold most everything and moved all my possessions in a sport coup car with a roof bag full of stuff. If it didn't fit it was sold or left behind.

I expected to enroll full time with my early 20s peers in this law school. It was important to me and I asked and was expressly told the law school was on the main school campus. I wanted this for the social aspect. I did not want to go to a commuter campus. I was to be given lodging in the dorms (on the MAIN campus - aka social aspect again). I alerted the school lodging folks I would be arriving late at night and they gave me after-hours instructions.

After a 20 hour drive, I arrived to the college campus late at night, near midnight. I could not locate the law school, any landmarks or buildings, etc. I drove around for a long time. I called the lodging number and was informed the law school campus was a satelite campus, 15 miles on the other side of the city. Strike ONE. Major blow. I had been lied to on a material piece of information. It took hours to get the "on call" person to get to my residence and let me in, and hours more to unpack my car and move into the 3rd floor.

First day of classes, I learned that the school had "over-booked" basically like an airline and since I was a late-show (last to arrive) I was bumped to the new part time evening law program for an older class of working professionals getting their law degrees. So instead of my peers and getting done in 3 years, I would be with 40-somethings and getting done in 4 years.
Strike TWO, another major blow.

It was devastating news. I almost dis-enrolled to either get back on the road and get to my 2nd choice, another 1200 miles away, or wait another year and enroll in the full time program. I weighed my options and none were good. So I stayed and made the best of it and it all turned out okay. I often wonder though what would have happened. There were surely some missed opportunities... but also, I met some professionals and got a great job and made good money, was able to buy a new car and home, great working experience etc. So, in truth, and in hindsight, it probably actually worked out better for me in spite of the aggravation at the time.

Like you I thought I tried to plan but life throws big curve balls at you sometime and you have to stay in the batters box and hit them.

#53 ·
Sorry your move didn't work out. I've been wanting to head somewhere for a long time. Haven't left my home state in 20 years but I have seen the same kind of issues. It's not Mayberry USA anymore. Oh, and closest big city just passed first reading of red flag and hate crime laws last night. I wish we all had a place to go to get away from this new world for the time we have left.

#55 ·
If you ate still in Cedar you now know how to establish residency to get your first job.
Take about any job j you find, lots of local places have there hiring signs out now, I have seen several the past couple days. It's always easier to find a job when you already have one.
Try Walmart, Home Depot, GenPac, Cal Ranch, IFA, get a job then talk to people and you will find another, better job.

#59 ·
Update:

I got my truck out of the shop yesterday afternoon. $3188.00 for the transmission rebuilt. Ouch!

I finally gave up trying to get on with that welding supply company and went to a temp agency. I was hired today for a factoring machine operator. Ten minutes after I left the agency, I saw the delivery truck for that welding supply company and we ended up parked next to each other at the intersection. We rolled down our windows and said "hi." It was the branch manager driving. He said, "I'm still working on getting you on here." I told him that I had just gotten hired but if he could get me on I choose his branch over the factory job. 45 minutes later he called and I was hired. I start next Tuesday. Yahoo!!

So I rented a local storage unit and put the stuff that was in my pickup into storage. I just rented a U-Haul trailer (I swore I wouldn't do business with them again but they're the only pony show is town). I'm picking up a 4'x8' first thing in the morning and driving back to Denver to get the rest of my stuff. I'm going to try to avoid the cost of another hotel.

California still hasn't sent a copy of my birth certificate so this trip to Denver will remedy that problem. I'll be able to get all of my vital paperwork. The next step is to get a place to live (which I'll be working on in a few moments) and my Utah driver's license. Anyway, things are looking good.

I appreciate all of your good ideas, good advice, constructive criticism, and prayers.

#65 ·
Okay ... here's what's likely to be my final update on the move to Utah:

I ended up around Cedar City instead of St. George or Hurricane. It's a bit smaller and the surrounding geography is much nicer to look at. It's also colder during the winter which is one of the things I wanted to avoid but, for the most part, it's a good move and I'm generally happy with it. Thanks to the local University's push for "diversity," it's a bit more liberal than I had hoped for but still much better than Denver, CO.

I did get the job I wanted and upper management is already discussing the possibility of making me the branch manager based on my experience in this industry and experience as a branch manager in the past. The current manager (although I personally like him) is young, inexperienced, and generally angry with life. In all honesty, he's not really a good fit for a management position. However, he does seem to try most of the time and I do all I can to support him.

I found a large, two-bedroom apartment 3 minutes from work. It's only $650.00 per month compared to the studio apartment in Denver which was $1300.00 per month. The utilities are about one-quarter what I was paying in Denver. It's clean and has lots of parking. The kitchen his very big which is a plus! It came with washer/dryer hookups so I got a new set of appliances from the local Home Depot.

I passed all the Utah driving tests and have my temporary Utah Commercial Driver's License. I just got a letter from the TSA today stating that I passed my background check and am free to get a CDL in this state. That's good news. I also registered my personal truck as well and have the Utah plates installed. Not only did registration cost a fraction of what it would have in Colorado but I'm not required to get a "smog test" like I was in Colorado. Money in the bank!!!

I am registered to vote in Utah (Constitution Party) and feel like a real citizen of the state at this point.

Also, as a means to bolster my income, I became a plasma donor. I stop in once a week at $50.00 a pop. That's an additional $200.00 per month which helps. Once I get my Utah CDL I'll get a $1.00 per hour raise from my current employer.

So ... for the most part ... I'm very happy and content with the move and look forward to buying some off grid property down the road. It can be pretty cheap in some places.

The only negatives: 1) The winters will be about as bad as Denver had to offer. 2) The University is inviting diverse, SJW Libtards to move here. I'm seeing too many California plates for my comfort.

Interesting side note: There are lots of "FLDS" folks here. FLDS stands for "Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints." They all follow a specific dress code no matter what day it is or what public location they frequent. The women wear their hair in a sort of old-fashioned, French braid style and they all wear similar dresses although the colors can vary. The men always wear jeans and long sleeved shirts. It's sorta cool to see them in Walmart or the local grocery store but they keep very much to themselves and seem to have an air of arrogance or haughtiness. But they aren't mean or horribly unfriendly.

#70 ·
I love the geographical aspect of Cedar. The temps have been in the mid 60s for almost all of the month of November. It was mid 40s today with spots of rain. Very nice so far.

I'm disappointed that it's University is moving towards the SJW mentality but it's still better than Denver.

#71 ·
Parowan isn't too bad but I would move to Panguitch if I could. It's on my list of future moves (perhaps). Cedar is drawing a lot of out-of-staters just like St. George and Hurricane. Panguitch has more of a cowboy feel to it.

#72 ·
There were some pretty tough downs during the journey but everything worked out. I'm mostly happy with the results. I'm secretly looking for a job that pays more though. I'm at a beginning wage in an industry that I have 25 years worth of experience.

#74 ·
I worked in the Flaming Gorge one summer. Utah is an interesting state. We were treated well there. The sheriff of the county owned the theater, one of the bars and the restaurant where we ate most of our meals. The little town had only one paved road, the road in from Wyoming. I imagine the dam changed all that and their lives forever.

#77 ·
Glad it finally worked out for you. Seems like the Lord wanted you there, just didn't want to make it too easy, or forgive me, maybe for some reason he wanted you to make it harder on yourself for a bit?

I've got some stories of my two moves to Arizona where I didn't have any jobs or family. The first move was REALLY something. The second one, I planned a bit better, but it still had its moments. We can thank the Patriot Act for making the DL thing a bit more difficult than it used to be.

Maybe I'll relate them sometime.

#82 ·
One more update:

My branch manager and his wife were both fired on Friday (the 13th). As a result, I was immediately given a $2.00 per hour raise then offered the branch manager position (I sorta knew this was coming). I will remain the driver until we can hire two new workers. Our sales rep will be the interim manager until we get these guys trained. Once I take the manager position, I will get another $3.75 per hour increase but will go from an hourly rate to a set salary. For this area of the state and country, I will be making some really good cash.

#89 ·
Thanks Eddie. He truly IS!!!

By the way everyone ... I met a fellow board member and survivalist the other day. We had a nice chat over coffee at the local IHOP. Good to know there are some like-minded folks in the area.

Reactions: Eddie_T
#91 ·
Wow ... I'm super late responding to you. I sorta forgot about this thread.

Anyway, now that I'm settled in, I've had a chance to see what this town is really like. It's much better than L.A. and a lot better than Denver but it's still too big (and a bit too liberal) for my liking. There's a University here so it goes without saying that there's a considerable Libtard presence. But there are a lot of good, Conservatives in the area too. At least we didn't have to hide in our homes during the Chinese Cold debacle. Nobody around here (for the most part) took it very seriously. We just continued living life as usual.

I'm still looking for a place in the hills but it'll likely be a couple of years before I can afford to buy a place.

Thanks for asking. How are things with you? Still planning on moving?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.