Survivalist Forum banner

Elbow punch instead of knuckle punch? for short people too?

11K views 46 replies 31 participants last post by  Skynet17 
#1 ·
I've heard many arguments against knuckles in a fight, Joe Rogan says they really need to be conditioned (for example by punching bricks without glove, but he admits any such conditioning causes future health problems). that you can easily break your wrist, that mistakenly punching the teeth or forehead can cause you more pain than the enemy etc.

Joe Rogan says the solution is elbow punches.

i kind of like that idea, but everytime I practise it on the speed ball I'm unimpressed, it's very difficult to reach targets and getting a good solid connect. and they telegraph like crazy.

do you think elbows are good?
Could it be that perhaps they are more suitable for tall people, that shorter people should stay very clear from this technique?

#42 ·
Elbows were banned from an MMA league called Pride back in early 2000's. Why? Because an elbow is dangerous. When i trained (like 2 years) in TKD, elbows were used when Jamming (staying in close so your opponent cant get a got shot) someone. Worked well. I could hang with black and brown belts pretty well as an orange.

#44 ·
Bas Rutten is one of the amazing pioneers of MMA. He fought in the Pancrase circuit which didn't allow closed fist strikes to the head at the time so he got really good at using the palm heel.

Now Pancrase is a regular MMA promotion and probably the 2nd-largest Asian MMA promotion behind One Championship.

As far as elbows & MMA, most states ban them at the amateur level but allow them in the pros.

#45 ·
in 7th grade we were playing a game that combinded football and soccer. i forgot the name. i had the ball and was trying to pass it but was surrounded and someone behing was trying to punch the ball out but kept hitting me in the ribs. i came around with an elbow and spread his nose all over his face. no one tried to punch the ball out from behind me after that.

#46 ·
When I first started studying martial arts many years ago I bought the fantasy that I could toughen up my knuckles by beating on things with them. So I worked out a lot with a heavy bag and I broke boards with my knuckles (but it didn't take long to figure out that I didn't want to do that anymore). After awhile though I came to the realization that I was turning my hands into clubs made out of dead flesh.

This of course is counterproductive, since hands that do what God designed them to do make the best weapons. How does a club made out of dead flesh compare to a hand that can manipulate a gun, or a knife, or a cigarette lighter, or a thousand other things, for example.

So I went to palm heel and hammerfist strikes instead. These work very well on my tire dummy, and can penetrate into it about as well as a baseball bat, so they are capable of substantial power.

I don't like to use any joint for striking, but would use elbow or knee strikes in the right situation.

The best martial art is probably the one that uses anything that's illegal in MMA competition as its basis. I remember seeing an MMA match once where two guys beat the hell out of each other round after round and just kept going. I was impressed with how tough they were. Then one of them threw out a light jab and didn't make a fist and his finger accidently hit his opponent in the eye; the opponent dropped to the ground instantly and was out of the fight (thank God his eye was not injured seriously).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.