Survivalist Forum banner

***Ladies Section***Corsets for Back Pain?

5K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Mazarine33 
#1 ·
Feminists please hit the back button, what follows may trigger you.

I've had several women tell me that wearing corsets throughout the day reinforced their posture and and did wonders for their back pain. They didn't pull them super tight, just snug, and suggested I try one. Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

#2 ·
My Mother wore them all the time and lost the strength in her core, got problems with acid reflux, weird stomach problems etc. from being squished in all the time. Her Dr. Told her to stop and go to the gym so she did. She is doing much better now.

If you only wear it for a week or so I'm sure it would be fine but over the course of years not so much.

#4 ·
Find a chart of the muscles in the back. They are kind of "layered", which makes me believe that strengthening them is a good way to relieve stress on the spine. So far, it seems to be working for me. Stretching exercises help, too, if I could just get in the habit of *doing* them. I think anything that helps with posture should be used short term as it will substitute for the muscles allowing them to weaken in the long term.

#7 ·
One (1) simple exercise will fix the problem unless your doctor says otherwise.
Get on the floor, bend your knees and do 5-10 sit-ups twice a day. No need to do more, but this routine will strengthen the spine and the stomach muscles at the same time.
I was in a car accident where my spine took the hit. My therapist instructed me to do this exercise. It's amazingly easy.

#9 ·
I broke my back in three places when I was young, so I know there are a dozen different kinds of back braces out there, though none as pretty as a lacy corset/bustier. Probably better for you therapy-wise though. But it's true you'd be best off with good exercises. If you don't ask your doc for a good physical therapist at least cruise around online to see what some choices might be. Remember, you are not in a competition for Mrs. Universe. Don't listen to "no pain no gain". If it hurts more than the least bit, quit it and find another.

#14 ·
I have an AS in physical therapist assistant.
I also gave a bulging disc between L5 and S1.
Back pain typically originates behind the spine from pinched nerves.
The sit ups with bent knees are great. Any exercise that flexes you forward, opening the back of th he vertebral spaces, will relieve pressure.
Mi loo d self traction can be good too, ie chair pushups with twisting, hanging from overhead bar or door top, again with twisting. The weight if your body helps separate the vertebrae, the twisting helps reslign.
If pain is severe, please be evaluated by an MD or DC. Chiropractors have been helpful for me, but I only go if I am totally out of Comission due to doing something stupid, bending instead of squatting. lifting too much....

#16 ·
I was shown another execise that might help too. On your back still, raise your bent knees up, up close to your chest, keeping your arms straight out to the side. Don't move arms, then shift/swing your raised/bent knees over to one side...then to the other side. This enables you to pop your own lower back. You might want to do this a few times till you get the hang of it, but it's generally not necessary. Once the lower back has popped into place, you'll know it, but sometimes it's only one side, not both.
Usually I do this first before the situps. Sorry I didn't mention this before now, but it's automatic with me. Not required for the situps. My chiropractor did this first thing during the visits, then showed me how to do it on my own :D:.

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks to all of you. :) I started the bent knee pull-ups exercise, and didn't realize I was so weak. I could barely do one! Oh, and the dogs thought the idea of me on the floor exercising was the best idea yet. Now they go outside while I exercise. :eek::

A chiropractor told me that drinking plenty of water could help, because if you're dehydrated your discs aren't as poofy as if you're well hydrated. I've tried it and this helps some, too.

#21 ·
Just my 2 cents but corset probably isn't a good solution. Earlier this year, I took a hard fall and X-rays shows a broken rib, some cracked ribs and bruised ribs. I was told to not move around much and would be in serious pain for 4 weeks. I asked about a tight Ace bandage or rib brace to make sure the broken one didn't relocate. I was told to use a brace as little as possible because I needed to keep my lungs expanded or risk developing pneumonia. Seems constricted torso (AKA brace or corset) makes pneumonia more likely.

#22 ·
This might sound silly, but....

A few years ago we adopted a dachshund who had been dropped over a 9 foot fence. His back was wacked and the vet wanted to do disc surgery on him. But the prognosis was still not great, so we hunted up another solution ---- a corset.

There is a woman that invented a dog corset to help them heal disc injuries. We bought one and strapped the little guy in it right away. Within a week, he was feeling better and now only wears it if he has a relapse (usually comes from traveling because he has ramps and assists at home). The site ---https://wiggleless.com/

So if a corset helped our little guy, I don't see why it wouldn't help us as well!

And fwiw, we use an inversion table ourselves and love it.

#23 ·
Prayer
Swimming
Massage therapy/trigger point release
Theracane
Theracane with pain relieving cream/rub/ointment/essential oil
Stretching and isometrics
Yoga (the gentle kind without all the philosophical stuff)
Ice and/or heat, whatever makes it feel better (different parts of the bcak may need different heat/cold at different times)
Walking at YOUR speed, not the dog's speed :rolleyes:
Make sure your shoes fit properly and are good repair (or go barefoot)
Barefoot in the sand :) :) :)
Chiropractor and/or accupunturist
GET ENOUGH SLEEP (uninterrupted, long enough, on a firm mattress, with the right kind of pillow for how you sleep, with comfortable sheets/blanket(s), in a room that's the right temperature and hunidity FOR YOU).

If you've been injured, multiple small/short excercise/stretching sessions a day are better than one big one/

If you're not injured, or are healed, and really need to build back up in a hurry...

1 regular push up (2 minute limit)
1 diamond push up (another 2-minute limit)
1 fist push-up (another 2-minute limit)
1 fist push-up with the fists pointed 90 degrees different than the other ones) (another 2-minute time limit)
1 sit-up (another 2-minute limit) (firm surface, keep hands interlaced behind the head, and keep heels on the ground; feet flat on the ground can cause injury to the achilles tendon and other things :eek:
1 2-count flutter kick (another 2-minute limit)
1 2-count laying-down jumping jack with the arms at the sides (simply a laying down leg splitter and putting back together). Try to keep the heels from touching the floor (another 2-minute time limit)
Do the above 2 different times in a day.

On day two, increase to two reps of each in the same 2-minute limits.
On day three, increase to three reps of each in the same 2-minute limits.
On day four, increase to four reps of each in the same 2-minute limits.
Etc.

If you finish an exercise before the end of its 2-minute time limit, wait until the time is finished before starting the next exercise. This is especially critical in the beginning. The key is not to rush things, but every day you get measurably better/stronger.

In 100 days, you *should* be able to do 100 push-ups in 2 minutes and 100 sit-ups in 2 minutes.

At the same time, walk 2 miles once a day, and as the days pass, add short periods of running interspersed with the walking, until you are able to run the whole 2 miles all at once. You build up both speed and endurance this way, but don't hurt yourself pushing too much too fast. Doing this with a dog is more fun and more motivational :)

#24 ·
I had the same problem. The pain in my back was unbearable. My doctor didn't understand what was wrong with my back, in the pictures it was absolutely normal. I suffered so much for six months, and then I signed up for a massage, it helped me a lot. My back doesn't hurt anymore

#29 ·
Haven't tried corsets. I've got a pinched nerve that I've been told is permanent, due to slipping on ice in 2013. It "yells at me" when I sit too long. I've tried lots of stuff. Lidocaine helps somewhat. Aleve has been the most useful OTC for me. There are a few yoga stretches that help, but won't cure it. Planks, downward dog, bridge stretch, child's pose, sphinx, and also butterfly stretch helps. And no, you don't have to say "om" or anything else while doing yoga if you don't want to. I just breathe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.