Survivalist Forum banner

Fire starting ~ Good old Zippo

14K views 64 replies 32 participants last post by  teddyearp 
#1 ·
Yeah, we've got fatwood, char, striking sticks, bows, etc.

Who has and uses a good old Zippo? If you don't know this, they will last almost forever. I've had some that my grandfather used. What is survival about them?

I spent the $4 for a bottle of Rosonol about twenty years ago. I've never paid for flints. You can get those from old Bic lighters, usually found discarded on the ground, everywhere. Most times, you have to cut them in half to fit and they last gosh, I lost count; maybe a month, two? For each half. The fluid? Go to your local hardware store and buy some pure Naptha and refill that Rosonol bottle for convenience. Maybe $3-4/quart. I had a partial gallon I found in my dad's stuff that he bought probably thirty+ years before (I didn't start using it until he had been dead for over twenty years) last me years and years, my last quart has lasted me maybe four five years.

As long as you never let it go dry, the wick lasts, well for me, forever; all this time at the very least.

So, just sayin', don't discount the good ole Zippo from your preps.

#23 ·
I've tried to love them, but this is my exact issue.

I purchased one a year ago. Ever so often, I pull it out and can't get it to flame. I then fill it up with fuel again and it works. Then a month later... its dry and won't work again.

I even made sure it is stored, standing up-right. Didn't matter.

I'm all ears... what am I doing wrong? I'm not a smoker, so it will never be used unless I need it in an emergency and need to light a fire.

#3 ·
With Zippos most of the fuel is wasted through evaporation and unless you top them off frequently, so what you have left is a flint-wheel striker.

I field strip old Zippos and replace the packing with petroleum jelly infused cotton balls, a couple extra flints, pack a few more PJCBs in the cap, and I always have fire and fuel which won't evaporate.

#11 ·
With Zippos most of the fuel is wasted through evaporation
I love Zippo's! They have faithfully served me without fail in 40 years of backpacking in high altitude and high wind. Bics never function in such conditions.

Yes, there is a price to pay for such high performance. High maintenance. Yes, "most" of the fuel is wasted through evaporation - a fraction of a teaspoon a day. I simply plan on adding the teaspoon in the AM before breakfast and the PM before dinner (and cigars). I have several gallons of White Fuel and take a pint with me for my backpacking stove. Never had a problem.

I admit a Bic is easier IF it does not crack or run out of fuel - and you are not at high wind conditions. One other disadvantage of Bics is that they are not made to light for more than 30 seconds. Zippo's can stay lit while having both hands free.

#6 ·
It "helps" some, but is not fail-safe. I have used bicycle inner tube AND wrapped electrical tape on top. If you pack the lighter away in your gear for several months and come back later you will find that the evaporating fuel eats the inner tube and also dissolves the goo on the tape, making a mess.

Gearward Ranger bands are more fuel resistant and work a bit better, but you still need to top off fuel monthly.

Most evaporation-resistant lighter I have found is the Maratec stainless steel Peanut XL from CountyComm which has a fuel-resistant neopreyne O-ring.

#7 ·
Sounds more like ways to make something with a serious flaw less terrible rather than an actual solution.

I do like the sound they make flicking them open and closed, but that is about it.

Sorry, but I do totally discount them for survival. I can't even think of any other kind of gear that is less reliable than a zippo.

#13 ·
When I was in the army I practiced and perfected the sling the Zippo open and snap my fingers to spin the striker wheel trick. I guess I thought it was cool.

Now I don't smoke so I occasionally sling my Silver Falcon folding knife open, the sound is similar and people think I have a switchblade. The things we do for amusement.

#15 ·
Zippos suck, because the fuel evaporates rapidly.

There are flint wheel type lighters out there that the fuel cannot evaporate from. The one pictured below was stored 11 months & lit like the day I stored it away.

There are also vintage Ronson flint wheel lighters, that if double ranger banded will hold fuel far more than a month, without the fuel evaporating dry.

#16 ·
I use to carry Zippos all the time, but I stopped smoking back in April so I don't even carry a lighter on me anymore. For SHTF though, I would leave my Zippos at home. You'd have to carry the lighter and the fuel for it which would take up room in your pack which could be used to store other stuff. In my bag, I have a couple of BICs. They are good for hundreds of lights each, are lightweight, small, and they work pretty much every time. As much as I love my Zippos, They would be left behind in a SHTF situation.

#17 ·
I guess I'd like to add, yeah sure they dry out. But check it. Say the supply really dries out and 5-10 years later, there isn't a BIC/butane lighter to be had. At the bottom of a drawer is a Zippo all dried out. In the Garage is that quart of Naptha. The flint is probably still good in the Zippo and in a few seconds, you have a working lighter. And fortunately, you were in the habit of saving the flints from all those disposable butane lighters along the way so you almost have a lifetime supply. To have enough BIC lighters to outlast a quart of Naptha, you would need quite a few. Maybe hundreds.

Now how about that space?

#25 ·
I have a couple Zippo's and knock-offs. And one of the tighter sealing vintage lighters that Bunkerbuster sometimes shows. I don't carry or use them on a daily basis. One of my Zippo's has a butane insert (still have the original insert set aside) because the butane jet is better for toasting the foot of my occasional cigar. The Zippo type lighters are just another tool in the toolbox that can be pressed into service should the need arise. If SHTF, I figure I might have more need of a flame more often than I do now.
I also have several peanut lighters. One in my pocket every day. One on my EDC bag. One in each BoB. I also have a few of the Zippo hand warmers and somewhere an original Jon-E handwarmer that run on lighter fluid. Those things are great and will be much appreciated once the disposable warmers are gone.
Because of that I have several cans of lighter fluid and plenty of naphtha. Also, secure, leakproof, portable ways to carry fluid, including Stanley flasks from Walmart (one in each BoB), Zippo fuel canisters (one in my pocket and one on my EDC).
I have a bunch of ways to start a fire. Tons of matches, both strike anywhere and on box, in large and small sizes. God knows how many ferro rods/strikers. All shapes and sizes of butane lighters and torches and cans of butane to refill them. Naturally, lots of disposable Bic lighters (they are everywhere, too). PotPerm/Glycerin. Homemade and store bought tinder's too many to count.
Probably more.
I don't know which I might need when. So Zippo's and the necessary fluid are part of it all.
Plus, it's fun!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#26 ·
I say again for those who glossed over my earlier post getting into thread drift.

I pick up old Zippos and knockoffs cheap at yard sales. I then "field strip" them to remove the inner packing, and then stuff the body with petroleum jelly infused cotton balls, put an extra flint on top of the PJCB stack, and also tuck a couple more PJCBs inside the folding cover.

This makes a great compact fire kit carrier for tinder and reliable flint wheel striker you can always have with you. It contains tinder and flint for making 6-10 fires in your pocket. I put one in a pocket of EVERY outer garment.

The petroleum jelly will never, ever evaporate! and I don't waste my fire by lighting tobbacco...

#30 ·
I still carry a zippo, a couple of knock offs from the 60's with marijuana leaves on them and some metal matches. Part of my fall deer season ritual is to fill all of them with fuel. I don't smoke so the only use they get is fire starting during deer season. I really like the metal matches. extra flints last a really long time if you don't smoke. i put metal matches on my packs for zipper pulls

#34 ·
Some vintage flint wheel lighter fluid fueled lighters SEAL much tighter that Zippo’s.
Which GREATLY slows down fuel evaporation, which Zippo’s are well known for.

For instance, vintage Ronson Typhoon lighters are a good example:

They have a protruding ridge around the top of the insert, that the lower case & upper lid seal fairly tightly against. Once ranger banded, that seal area is that much tighter.

SEE BELOW:

Smaller compact No 4, 5 & 6 brass pull top lighters also seal tightly
(because of the way the case is constructed)

Both can be found on eBay cheap, with careful patient shopping.

#35 ·
Man if you guys put half this much energy and effort into maintaining your equipment there wouldn’t be any issues or questions about if a zippo will work for you or not!

I’ve never smoked and yet carry a Zippo every winter and have for years! It’s a piece of gear that will work in pretty much any temperature and at any altitude. It is also very unlikely to rupture on you since it’s not sealed!

It’s made out of real stuff in this country and designed to last for a very long time!

You “pay” for these advantages with regular fueling and minimal maintenance.

SD

#36 ·
Kind of funny that we have an argument going on about the merits of a cheap disposable, non refillable, non repairable, vs. a multi-fuel, serviceable, that could be passed on to the next generation...

Bic are okay. Much like the cheap clear body pens, they do a good job of non critical work. I'll say that it is somewhat less common to get a dud, but it happens. Seals fail, or a seam leaks, and that is the end of it. Not wind proof in the slightest, and challenging to keep going due to ergonomic restraints, while adding material or getting the flame in the right spot occasionally.

Found that Zippo style lighters are much more forgiving in the wind, and when it's challenging to get a fire going. I don't believe that I have any Zippo brand lighters, but the Star lighters are very similar and work well. Adding fuel isn't really a draw back, more of a maintenance. Just like flashlight batteries. Melting a little candle wax around the edge of the insert seems to help. When I go out, I usually have a little extra fuel. It's easy to carry a small UTS(?) vial. Or a small lighter fluid dispenser.

I also like the small peanut style lighters that look like a large stainless pill. They aren't quite as wind proof, but with the o-ring top, they are water proof, and have used one to start a fire, having not filled it for about 4 months.

I always have lighter fluid in the door pockets of my vehicles, but if I am in the vehicle, I can use gas, or other fluids, or a mixture of fluids in a pinch.

I used to think pretty highly of a piezo sparked micro torch that I carried hunting, camping, and exploring. I would also carry a spare Ronson style lighter as a refill for it as well. It was a good tool, but I recognized that it could quit. A little moisture in the wrong spot could mess it up for while. Finally the ignition quit, and that was it. Also carried a few refillable jet lighters, but eventually they seem to quit, or leak.

Read an article on a survival Zippo in Backwoodsman, and I did kind of dismiss it at the time. I've come to realize that I took the simplicity and durability of these lighters for granted. Now, more often than not I'll find that I tend to slip a Star into my watch pocket as part of EDC.

#37 ·
Resolves the ZIPPO weather, moisture proofing & fuel evaporation issues

Housing accepts standard Zippo lighter & similar clone lighter inserts including both fluid and butane torch models

O-ring seal keeps the elements out and minimizes evaporation

Low-profile MOLLE/PALS webbing clip

Spring loaded cap for one-handed operation

Made of rugged, heat-resistant reinforced polymer

LINK
(I am not affiliated)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-U...var=602145239460&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

If (by chance) you want a wholesale deal on a 100 or more, I have a link - PM me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.