Survivalist Forum banner

Tanto blades; yes or no?

12K views 59 replies 43 participants last post by  Damascus7 
#1 ·
It's nice to have the right tool for the job, and knives are no exception. The Tanto blade, or Tanto style knife has it's roots in Japan, and it's actually considered a sword, not a knife.

Now the American version is a little different, the blade tends to be straight with no belly on the USA style of Tanto blades.

Question is; where do Tanto blades shine (if at all), and where are the weak? What are your thoughts on the Tanto style of knives? Like em, hate em? Own any?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I say yes to tantos as well! A tanto is for you want a little bit of crow bar, self defense and utility all in one tool! Very handy and thick strong blade design.

Of course, the looks of Tanto blades is also interesting. It looks so strong and tough, badass so to speak :) Got to have at least a couple Tanto knives in the collection.

That mtech MT-113 shown above, I got it off amazon for $10 including shipping! I never worry about breaking the tip on that thing. It's a nice thick chunk of cheap steel :)

Looks striking and it's great for puncturing metal with.

#4 ·
I don't know where they shine really. ive butchered tons of animals, never said hey a tanto style blade would work better.

my gpa butchered tons of animals and all of the knives I have from him are more like a skinning or boning profile.

the only metal I need to puncture in the top of a can of peaches.my old timer does that fine.

if you like the tanto thats great .in the real worldl I don't see a need for them.

however this is merica and if you like them then yu shud have some.

#6 ·
I love a tanto style blade - carry one or two everyday - the only drawback i have seen a tanto not be good at is accurate skinning - ifn im huntn i have knives for that an do not have to use a tanto - the tanto blade carriers more material to the tip an dose not lend to snapping off the tips as dose the clip point an other style blades

#7 ·
I guess the shape was developed for stabbing opponents that are wearing chain mail armor.

Since I don't plan to be doing that in my future, I have no use for a tanto blade.

But enough people like the style that they sell them.

Perhaps they would be a decent gasket scraper with the flattish part in front? But I have gasket scrapers and seldom need to scrape gaskets without being in front of a big tool box. :)

But if I had an emergency gasket scraping situation arise, and all I had on me was my normal style drop or clip point with some belly, I might wish for a tanto for a moment. :)

#10 ·
I mostly use a folder for cutting tasks.

And so would see a tanto as a fixed blade that I could dig, penetrate or pry with. Rather than another larger fine cutting tool.

I have a super short axe for motorcycle camping that splits kindling that invariably have to buy at any motorcycle camp ground.

I could have used a tanto to baton wood on the same sort of theory.

Otherwise it could be useful in a dig your way through a roof if there was a flood kind of thing.

#11 ·
The whole "penetration" blade design of the tanto has been debunked numerous times. A good quality drop point will penetrate just as well. I'm indifferent. I have a few traditional and American designed tanto blades. I do like the more traditional designs with more pronounced belly; however even the American designs like the Cold Steel Recon Tanto are more than capable as a bushcraft blade. It's a sharpened pieced of steel and it's the skill of the user that determines it's effectiveness. While a tanto design wouldn't be my first choice, I wouldn't feel destined to failure if that's all I had. I did numerous bushcraft tasks with that tanto blade; feather sticks, made a bow drill set, carved out the divots, carved a few figure-4 trap designs, etc. It wasn't the most comfortable design, but fully capable.

I know blade design is important, but so is the steel type, grind profile, heat-treatment, handling comfort, sheath system, etc. If the knife handle is comfortable, it's from a reputable makers/manufacturer made from quality materials and heat-treated properly, the design is more a user preference than a use-specific function. Depending on your requirements, a general purpose-use field knife doesn't necessarily need to follow strict design guidelines. There will be some advantages and disadvantages depending on the design and blade profile, but the important part is the user's skill and ability with said blade.

Carry and use what appeals to you. Learn how to handle it for all the various tasks, be they bushcraft, woodcraft, or fish/game cleaning. While the associated experience and skill of knife is far more important than looks, the look of a blade and the enjoyment it gives goes a long way to using it and using it often.

ROCK6

#13 ·
It's nice to have the right tool for the job, and knives are no exception. The Tanto blade, or Tanto style knife has it's roots in Japan,

and it's actually considered a sword, not a knife.
wat?

Now the American version is a little different, the blade tends to be straight with no belly on the USA style of Tanto blades.

Question is; where do Tanto blades shine (if at all), and where are the weak? What are your thoughts on the Tanto style of knives? Like em, hate em? Own any?
Own one, thought they were cool as a kid.
doesn't do anything that other points don't do better.

#24 ·
Just remove the secondary point out by rounding and thinning on the stone, it makes for easier sharpening. Take your time grind out the second point. You should be able to sweep the blade from tip to heal.

I love the tanto, I love working the blades on the stone, I love using the blade thinned down polished up. It's an honest knife. Grind a little belly into it, just a little.

#26 ·
I don't like tanto blades at all. I really don't see what purpose they serve and they make sharpening more of a challenge than it's worth. I have a couple of tantos in my collection of 300 (approx.) knives but I won't buy another and I don't use them at all.

Reactions: Rett
#30 ·
I move a lot and tote them around with me every where I go. They take up two whole drawers and are very heavy. I've come to realize which of my knives are my favorites so I'm keeping them. My fixed blade knives MUST be full tang and have heavy spines (3/16" is good). My folders have to have strong locking mechanisms and have no play at the hinge. I'm also getting rid of all knives made in China. I only want American made and some European brands.

Reactions: Damascus7
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.