Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-20-2020, 11:37 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,264 Times in 685 Posts

Advertise Here

Deposited the stimulus check made out to my dead relative in their estate account...hoping for another round of checks to dead people...my relative's beneficiaries (not me) could use it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ncbill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 12:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,319 Times in 10,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Deposited the stimulus check made out to my dead relative in their estate account...hoping for another round of checks to dead people...my relative's beneficiaries (not me) could use it.
If that is true, the IRS will want it back. If you receive your SS check and die afterwards, your estate is required to pay back the amount of days until your next check.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 01:18 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 62,377 Times in 21,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
Campaign propaganda and hopefully it was paid for by the RNC otherwise we are looking at another investigation.
Franking privileges are a thing. I'm not sure how broad they are, but in general, the government gets free mail if it isn't clearly political.

I've gotten letters from my Congresscritters regale me on the work "done on my behalf", so I guess if they don't openly state to vote for them or the party then I guess it passes muster with the franking regs.

Gotta hand it to Trump. He definitely got you to read his mail. If it passes as legal then it was clever as hell.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 08:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 27,319 Times in 10,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Franking privileges are a thing. I'm not sure how broad they are, but in general, the government gets free mail if it isn't clearly political.

I've gotten letters from my Congresscritters regale me on the work "done on my behalf", so I guess if they don't openly state to vote for them or the party then I guess it passes muster with the franking regs.

Gotta hand it to Trump. He definitely got you to read his mail. If it passes as legal then it was clever as hell.
We never got it as far as I know.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,212 Times in 5,490 Posts

I got the letter and it said I was getting like $729... but my direct deposit was $994. Wasn't sure if the letter was a scam. I spent about a third of the stimulus on 9mm ammo.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,264 Times in 685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
If that is true, the IRS will want it back. If you receive your SS check and die afterwards, your estate is required to pay back the amount of days until your next check.
They can "want it back" all they want but the stimulus payments are not SS retirement. IIRC they're legally advance tax credits.

Short of additional legislation (which would have to be passed before the end of the year) there's no legal authority to reclaim it from estates.

I doubt that will happen as the feds never did so with the stimulus payments to the dead back in the Great Recession.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:15 PM
Tinfoil Hat Connoisseur

OP, I had the same problem. We got our money via direct deposit. Then came the letter from the IRS. I hate the IRS. Went right in the bin after I opened it and saw what it was.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:46 PM
read more, post less

Having been a tax professional in a previous life, I paid attention to the notice number under the return address. I have that USPS service that notifies you via email of your mail that day, most times with scans of the outside of the envelopes. Letters from the IRS almost always have "Notice No. _____" under the return address. Can't remember the number, but I googled it and found out what it was before opening.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:38 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,311 Posts

I bought a new printer for working from home since the old one was kaput to the point I had to fight with it for an hour for 5 pages. Think take out/reinsert paper tray and clean paper roller messages multiple times even after you did it 3 times already. I recycled it at Office Depot. The rest is going to savings.