What are your favourite survival games? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 05-18-2020, 04:37 AM

Arrow What are your favourite survival games?

Advertise Here

Hello, as a gamer and a survivalist, I like to play survival computer games. I find it fun to hunt and craft and so in in a virtual world. Hey, we all need our downtime right?

I recently made an article on survival games, and I was wondering which survival games you play and why you like them??
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Aquilius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 09:46 AM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,332 Times in 4,370 Posts

"The Long Dark" is my favorite, especially in Survival Mode. Game ends only when you die. If you do die, REALLY game over. You start from scratch again. It's also the best one out there for the PC. Not an easy game.

"The Last of Us", is another one for the PS4, and is probably the best video game ever created. Very sad beginning. Very thought provoking.

I also play "This War of Mine". VERY depressing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 10:36 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 61,097 Times in 20,728 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
"The Long Dark" is my favorite, especially in Survival Mode. Game ends only when you die. If you do die, REALLY game over. You start from scratch again. It's also the best one out there for the PC. Not an easy game.

"The Last of Us", is another one for the PS4, and is probably the best video game ever created. Very sad beginning. Very thought provoking.

I also play "This War of Mine". VERY depressing.

I tried the "Long Dark." I gave up almost as soon as I started because I couldn't figure out how to leave the cave after the crash. I have very bad night vision (even in video game mode) so I was unable to proceed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 12:23 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquilius View Post
Hello, as a gamer and a survivalist, I like to play survival computer games. I find it fun to hunt and craft and so in in a virtual world. Hey, we all need our downtime right?

I recently made an article on survival games, and I was wondering which survival games you play and why you like them??
I play a lot of video games but I don't think any of them could be specifically designated as "survival" games. Elder Scrolls Online: Unlimited. The "Life is Strange 2" series has a hint at survival when two brothers have to find ways to survive after a mishap in Seattle, WA.

I've also played some of the hunting games which take you into the wilderness but they're not specifically survival games. If I ever come across a good one, I'm sure I'll give it a try.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:51 PM
TEXAS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
I tried the "Long Dark." I gave up almost as soon as I started because I couldn't figure out how to leave the cave after the crash. I have very bad night vision (even in video game mode) so I was unable to proceed.
If you play "Survival mode", start in "Mystery Lake", enable "spawn indoors", "Start at noon", and "x2 Day multiplier", from the "custom" setup option, you should be fine. However, the "custom" setup is kinda' tricky. I can give you the settings for "Ultra N00B", if you like, or something more difficult. Let me know. the game, once you get the hang of it, is HIGHLY addictive! I've been playing it almost daily for the last, four years.

"The Long Dark"? Is a true, survival game, and probably the best one out there. Nothing real fancy, Just Bears that will tear you apart, Wolves that will tear you apart, Moose that will stomp your guts out, ravines, tree crossings, rickety bridges, and cliffs to fall from, and die, dysentery, infection, food poisoning, intestinal parasites, burns, electrocution under some circumstances, Hypothermia, deadly blizzards that you have NO chance of surviving, unless you're very clever, etc. You'll need to know how to read the games weather, in order to survive.... And that's the EASY stuff. Try it in "Interloper" mode! If you're not used to playing, you won't make it half a game day.

No "Undead", no "Zombies", or "Infected". Reality is much more harsh in the Canadian wilderness in the winter, than "Zombies", or the "Undead".

Want a real hunting experience?, make your own bow/arrows, and go hunt a deer with it. (Oh, WAIT, You have to find the stuff to craft your bow, and arrows from FIRST). HOURS (game hours) of tracking, following a blood trail, and maybe you'll find it, or maybe not. Look for crows cawing, and circling. Don't forget to pick up the feathers to fletch your arrows! Want a REAL TREAT? Try killing a moose or bear with a bow. You'd better have some skill level built up! There are places you can fish to survive, but 000PS!, you need to craft your own tackle.

Even on the EASIEST settings, this game can easily kill you VERY quickly, if you have no common sense, or take unnecessary risks.

Oh, BTW. Once you DIE, you're DEAD! No coming back from it (well, there IS a way, but I'll let YOU figure that one out for yourself).
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 09:16 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Thanks Dragunov. I play games through the Xbox One X console so probably can't do the custom set up. But I'm going to give it another try. I get impatient with games sometimes and don't give them a chance if things don't go my way -- right away. One of my many character flaws.
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 12:46 PM
TEXAS!!!

Quote:
Thanks Dragunov. I play games through the Xbox One X console so probably can't do the custom set up. But I'm going to give it another try. I get impatient with games sometimes and don't give them a chance if things don't go my way -- right away. One of my many character flaws.
Yeah, impatience will kill you in this game. You have to go about it as if you were actually there, trying to survive.

I've stalked moose, all night (take brewed coffee), and all day. trying to find a safe place to shoot them from. Moose meat, skin, and gut, are the "grail" in the game, and is even harder than bear to get. Bears, deer, and wolves will "bleed out" after being shot. Moose do not, and they'll charge you and stomp the livin' lovin' SNOT out of you, causing you at LEAST 120 gaming hours of injury. CARRY PAINKILLERS, and TWO BANDAGES!

Animal attacks will destroy random items of clothing also, so find, repair, and store various higher warmth clothing items (Wool Toques/Balaclavas, ski jackets, military clothing, climbing socks, running shoes, etc.) for those kinds of emergencies. I learned to do this the hard way!

I try to run deer in the path of a Wolf. The wolf will kill the deer, and you chase the wolf off, and harvest the deer. I save many bullets, and arrows that way. Works with rabbits too.

TIP: Once you chase off the wolf, build a fire next to the carcass that will burn for at least two hours, and the wolf PROBABLY won't attack you. !WARNING! Carrying raw meat will attract wolves and bears!

TIP: Try and find a good balance between warmth, and mobility. It does no good to wear the heaviest clothing, and have the mobility of a suite of armor. You'll fall through weak ice, or won't be able to climb ropes with anything much, because you're too slow, and encumbered..... JUST like real life.

Your "Warmth", should be between 35-45, and mobility no lower than 80-85%. You start the game with a warmth between 5, and 11, with excellent mobility. You need to find shelter, and clothing FAST. Use common sense. Most man-made shelter, is located around low areas, or near water. Just like you'd do in real life, navigate DOWN hill.

TIP: PLAN your outings, JUST as you would in real life. You can ALWAYS get water. Sometimes from basins, or toilets, or you can build a fire, and boil it. Don't take any more water than necessary. Don't carry ANY unnecessary tools/items.

FIRE: Carry matches, one accelerant, and tender (if you require tender). Save the accelerant for a quick, emergency fire. Make sure you gather sticks, and/or wood BEFORE you build a fire.

MEDS: Carry no meds other than AB's Pain killers, or their equivalent teas, and two bandages (for moose attacks), or Old Man's Beard dressings you crafted (for Bear attacks).

CLOTHING: As I said, just keep in mind for journeys, Warmth = 35-45 Mobility = 80-90. For shorter trips, on a CLEAR day and no blizzard (RISKY), a "warmth" of 20, is ok for short trips.

FOOD/WATER: I generally carry 0.40 gal/water. Any more and it can be cumbersome. I carry the *ZAP* energy bars, as they're VERY light, and have a walloping, 500 calories per bar. "Standard Fare" crackers carry 750 calories per box, and VERY light, but they make you thirsty. MRE's have 1750 calories, and are only 1.10 pounds. Smallmouth Bass (cooked) can carry up to 1400 calories, and up to 7lbs. Coho Salmon (cooked) can have 1700 calories, and up to 7lbs. Be careful how much food you're carrying. You can always gather cattails around water resources, in emergencies. Peanut butter at 900 calories is good, but kind of heavy. Save the canned goods for use at base camp.

EQUIPMENT: I carry only what I need, for what I'm going to be doing. Hatchet, Knife, Crowbar, bed roll (You ALWAYS carry a crowbar, knife, hatchet, or hacksaw, and a BEDROLL!) A partial sewing kit, and weapon of choice (Rifle, or bow and arrow). If I'm going where I know I'll be fishing, I'll carry three, crafted, fishing tackle.

MATERIAL: I always carry three, or four cloth, and two leather, in case I need to make clothing repairs.

ONE LAST TIP!: IF you feel you may be caught out in a blizzard, IF you're carrying at least FIVE cloths, and FIFTEEN sticks, you can make an emergency shelter that will keep you from freezing to death, AND.... Tool wear, so use them with a lot of thought, and sparingly.

'Nuff Sed! Have fun!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 01:20 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,375 Times in 9,999 Posts

Actual hide and seek. I have got a lot of ideas online on how to make/fix things but actually doing provides the learning.

First person shooter games are fun but I don't think they actually help with marksmanship.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I play a lot of video games but I don't think any of them could be specifically designated as "survival" games. Elder Scrolls Online: Unlimited. The "Life is Strange 2" series has a hint at survival when two brothers have to find ways to survive after a mishap in Seattle, WA.

I've also played some of the hunting games which take you into the wilderness but they're not specifically survival games. If I ever come across a good one, I'm sure I'll give it a try.
I guess the line defining what is a survival game can be a bit blurry. For instance I play the fallout series, that is post-apoc survival i think, but its not strictly survival per se. By the way I recommend the fallout series (except for fallout 76)
Old 05-25-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
Actual hide and seek. I have got a lot of ideas online on how to make/fix things but actually doing provides the learning.

First person shooter games are fun but I don't think they actually help with marksmanship.
Well maybe they help a little:

>> In a study by the University of Rochester, researchers found that playing video games was effective training for speeding up reactions in many types of real-life situations.

>> According to papers published in Psychological Science, playing action-based video games can boost the players’ visuomotor-control skills.

>> The U.S. military has even encouraged its troops to play first-person shooter style games as a way to maintain combat readiness, when not on active duty.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,591 Times in 817 Posts

Windows Minesweeper and Solitaire are great ways to covertly teach "older" people how to handle mouse/hand/eye coordination. Older in this case means those who won't be persuaded to play battlefield or similar.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:37 AM
TEXAS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLF View Post
Windows Minesweeper and Solitaire are great ways to covertly teach "older" people how to handle mouse/hand/eye coordination. Older in this case means those who won't be persuaded to play battlefield or similar.
That is exactly why Solitaire and Minesweeper were included in Windows 3.0. To get people familiar with mouse manipulation.