Home Biogas Toilet - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-19-2020, 07:09 PM
This is a great survival forum

Default Home Biogas Toilet

Advertise Here

I have been thinking about Ordering the Bio Gas Toilet.
The advantages would be free cooking gas, reducing time and energy of gathering twigs and sticks for cooking fires and propane use on rainy or cold days.
Could use greywater to flush, 1.2 liters per. They say 99.9% of pathogens are killed during the process, the effluent can be diluted with water and used to fertilize trees or flowers.
Plus it is more like a real toilet. With this system I would not have to install a high dollar septic system and dig a water well. The digester holds 343 gallons of effluent and 185 gallons of methane.
I don't enjoy my composting toilet. I don't like the smell inside my shack. Family and friends don't want to use it and it's 20 miles to a flush toilet. I know people will start telling me they don't smell, but it does. Yes I have read the humanure handbook and followed the instructions. I want a real toilet.
Some disadvantages are maybe one person not keeping it full enough to produce enough gas and keeping it warm enough in winter. Maybe a fish tank heater or something like a green house would help keep it warm. Also if I got a couple of pigs then I might have more than enough manure, to make enough gas.
I forgot that it comes with a cookstove and tubing for the gas. I could get this delivered for $1300.
Does anyone have any experience with a methane digester or a system of this type? Am I crazy for thinking about this? I like the idea of not installing a septic or digging a well, and not buying propane for cooking. Also just going to a liquid fertilizer and compost instead of just humanure compost.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2020, 08:04 PM
Dog

I read this as a bodega toilet! Haha.

I don't have any implementation information on this subject but I've been interested in reusing sewage for fuel and will be watching this space.

I like the idea of using livestock manure to ensure enough fuel.

I read an article about a low pressure village type collector in Africa. It was considered a source of wealth because it was used for cooking, freeing up manpower from firewood gathering.

At the time I considered a possible process:

Sewage, manure and food waste are put in the digestor which produces methane for cooking and power generation.

That process also produces a post-methane sludge.

That sludge has the water evaporated from it to be used for irrigation.

The sludge, after the water was removed would be burned to heat water or maybe used as fertilizer.

Something like that.

Some people see sludge, others see a hot shower.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grizzlylabs For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 PM

I can just imagine having 185 gallons of free methane. I don't think I would use much for cooking, I mean it doesn't take long to make pancakes or grilled cheese. I was thinking of the possibility of running a generator off of methane. I would love to buy a Honda 2000 and see if a propane kit could be adapted to run the methane gas, I dream of a 5000 btu air conditioner during the heat of summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 09:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,524 Times in 2,457 Posts

Methane has no odor but sewer gas sure does. I would worry about smell especially if you use for cooking. That said i have no experience with this. I have worked on building waste water treatment plants. They are very smelly places even when testing just running ground water. Very corrosive environment, even stainless steel fittings rust right away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 10:32 PM

dmas I was worried about the smell myself but they say it isn't that bad. I could put it in a small greenhouse by itself possibly. I can cook outside if I had to. During winter I cook inside on the woodstove. I'm really just thinking about if I could get enough methane to cook in the summer when it's hot instead of over a fire. And if possible enough methane to run a small generator for a few hours of air-condition during the hottest part of the day, while taking care of my waste, saving myself money.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:38 AM
US Army Veteran

Here are some links you might find useful....

https://www.motherearthnews.com/rene...r-zm0z14aszrob

https://www.motherearthnews.com/rene...steps-zbcz1410

https://chesterenergyandpolicy.com/2...-the-bio-resy/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zambodia For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 02:59 AM
Prepared

I saw a documentary about China that covered how they used human and animal feces to generate methane for cooking and heating. You might want to do some research about how the Chinese design and implement their systems. Millions of Chinese use this system, so if anyone has worked the bugs out it would be them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clingmansdome For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 04:10 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,375 Times in 9,999 Posts

Interesting concept. Mother Earth news back in the day had methane digester stuff. I recall a 55 gallon barrel unit with a truck tube on the outside to store and pressurize the natural gas. I think it made enough gas to sort of cook on, but not enough to do any space or water heating to speak of.

The next model up was a 300 gallon home heating tank conversion. I think they also collected animal waste from cows, horses and pigs to help get up production.

The good news is the systems produce good fertilizer.

I can cook for myself for nearly a year on a 5 gallon propane tank. A 100 gallon tank would be a life time supply. I actually have 3 nearly full 20 gallon tanks.

I would just build/make a septic tank and leach field for your flush toilet and shower plus perhaps the kitchen sink.

Are you the guy making ice with a solar panel?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 04:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,524 Times in 2,457 Posts

You will also need to provide pressurization.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 05:43 PM

Charliemeyer007, Yes I got a small counter top ice maker. It works on a single 100 watt panel. The only problem is it's a very soft ice and the ice cube is round with a hole all the way through it. So a small piece of ice with the largest surface area it could have. It melts so fast that your ice is gone when you finish your drink. Better than nothing on a bot day.
I recently purchased a alpicool c15 car fridge and have been running it off my panel. It is very small but keeps a few drinks cold 24/7.

I looked into a septic and legally it has to be done by a licensed person and the cheapest of two estimates was $11000 dollars. I have heavy clay and they use a system of two tanks with treatment chemicals and a pump that sprinkles the treated water back on your lawn. The system must be inspected every year at your cost by a licensed person.
Plus I don't have electric to run a pump or the water pressure to push the water for the sprinkler. I would have to drill a well, get electric power, plus have the septic installed. I bet it would take 20 to 25 thousand that I don't have. That's a lot of money for a poor guy to sink into a $12000 piece of junky land.The Bio gas toilet system can be delivered for under $1500 so that's why I was thinking about it.

Zambodia, thanks for the good links.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,703 Times in 1,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clingmansdome View Post
Chinese . has worked the bugs out it would be them.
Don't see that often. Certainly since a big part of the population recently has found a clue.
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 03:14 AM
US Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Guy View Post
Zambodia, thanks for the good links.
You're welcome.

As I remember, they said they could run a generator with the gas, and maybe a larger motor, but they had to pressurize the gas.

How would you pressurize the gas?
The Following User Says Thank You to Zambodia For This Useful Post: