3D Printer preps? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 05-11-2020, 09:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,729 Times in 763 Posts
Question 3D Printer preps?

Advertise Here

So we got a 3D printer a week ago and have literally been printing non-stop. I mostly use thingiverse and have not toyed with doing my own stuff yet as I don't fully understand CAD and I'm currently working from home and doing college stuff. I've printed some small netting shuttles, a two piece one, some Altoids card cutlery items, whistles and mostly cool stuff for the kids. I am curious to see what others on here have printed in the way of preps and if they are willing to share files or how tos for what they've done. If you do have one or are getting one the "cute octopus" is one of the coolest things ever on thingiverse.

I have a 150mm cube(5.9 inch) printer, the FlashForge Adventurer 3 and have messed with both ABS and PLA, I have glow in the dark ABS and some other stuff as well. I also got a cheap 3d Pen for my daughters, it's more a niche things, but neat for them. I did print up a couple of simple slide cipher decoder rings for my 9 year old to start sending letters to her friend who moved last year so they can have a little fun. There are so many possibilities out there and filament is inexpensive as can be, but it takes forever to print stuff. A simple spork knife a toothpick Altoids card took 55 minutes to print, and that is the fast side of printing, though I can print a whistle in 30 mintues. They have some fishing and camping stuff on there as well, arrowheads that all fit in Altoids cans, I've moved on from the Altoid can phase of prepping and am looking for more useful items like the whistle. I printed a north star refernce card as well and am looking at printing some reference cards like knot tying just for the hell of it.

I'll get some of my stuff together this week and take some pictures and put times to print, material once I get some free time, but I really wanted to see what others have tried and are doing. I don't get on here very often anymore, been working on college stuff and video/photo stuff a lot of drone stuff before we went to a stay at home order, living life. I've hit that point where I've been prepping and learning for so long I'm ready for any short term(3-6 month) stuff like this COVID junk and have the preps to last long term, but being Military in Hawaii I can only prep so much here without ending up wasting money when it comes time to go back to the mainland so I've been focusing on adventures and outside time with the family more than building up.

On side not I talked from Hawaii to Japan, Korea, Alaska and Arizona on a 20 watt HF radio with a simple 100 foot long wire antenna with both voice and data after being told we couldn't do it without some serious power, I told them it was all antenna theory not power so all that Ham Radio training paid off.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfSpring For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 10:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,591 Times in 817 Posts

First practical thing that comes to mind is... you could print spare parts for your gear in general. No need to print them right now, except for test purposes, but save all the models locally on your own drives.

And figure out a working library system for the files now, when you don't already have hundreds of them

Another one: https://www.prusa3d.com/covid19/
You can get those face shields and straps, store them somewhere. Print rest of the stuff if you need a face shield for whatever might want to do at home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 12:59 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,729 Times in 763 Posts

I've actually been looking at things like sliders and clips for my backpacks and thinking of random stuff I could print. We also do a lot of geocaching and there are container designs that I can print up that would work just as well for containers in BOBs, vehicles, etc... My wife's been making COVID masks for family and I did print up a bunch of the ear savers, but 5,9 inches is a little short for them. I looked at your link and have seen similar on thingiverse, might have to check out making some of those masks, if for no other reason to see if I can do it with my printer. Yeah I started with a folder called 3D printer and already had to make a sub folder called zips and have another called toys, slowly filling them all as I go. I've been doing a lot of filing to hard drives lately with videos, pictures, old downloads and you are right once you get to many it is harder to start than if you just go into starting, I have 4 TBs just of GoPro footage from 2017-present and it's on 3 drives right now and of course some of it is doubles lol, don't wanna get like that with a 1,000 3D files.

Thanks for the input.
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfSpring For This Useful Post: