Build or Buy 20x16 Shed? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-09-2020, 03:38 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,556 Times in 506 Posts
Default Build or Buy 20x16 Shed?

Advertise Here

Ok folks I'm kind of on the fence here. I am considering putting a small 320sq foot shed on my rural property.

I'm making no bones about it.....I'm concerned where the economy is going to go in the coming months.

I plan to build this out...so in an absolute worst case scenario it can be lived in.

So.....a new 320' shed.....delivered and set up...$8200. It's made out of 2x4's and I could finish it for about $6K. So about $15K all in.

I'm trying to balance my time to build vs how much money I can save.

The advantage that I could get out of building I could customize it to be better suited to a tiny home layout.

Considering the same plan and same square footage how much money could I potentially save by builiding it myself in terms of material cost?

HK
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2020, 03:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,133 Posts

I just built a shed, albeit smaller than that. I compared it to a pre built shed in my area. The pre built on a skid would have been more economical. I went with what I have because I needed a taller peak height inside and terrain does not allow access. I put 6x6 piers in and built up the deck on it.

If you have level access and can put in a compacted stone pad the prebuilt is a good deal n most cases.

You want to finish it to stay in? Consider septic and hvac. Power is not cheap either. Mine has water and power. I just buried #6 and #10 direct bury lines out to it along with a run of pex pipe. It just has a sink so the drain daylights do the bank in the woods. Luckily my neighbor has a small backhoe ND did the burying for me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hound Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 04:21 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,375 Times in 9,999 Posts

Does it get cold where you are? How about snow? I think you could build a nicer unit for the same money as a kit, but get better stuff like windows, doors, insulation, 2x6 walls, metal roof, concrete siding. Larger eves can provide outside storage or a dry working space. Make use of the attic space for storage by having a good supported floor.

I would also wire it for 12 vdc LED lighting and have a regular air tight wood stove with a flat top and a big door. Straight vertical stainless steel chimney exiting the the roof at the peak.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2020, 04:37 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 21,070 Times in 6,160 Posts

You could halve that, at least, by doing it yourself.

At least half, if you get creative, you could save even more.

If you had one other person to help you, finished in a month.

Obviously, if you start having to install sewer lines, nice flooring, etc you can blow your budget to hell.

But just for an insulated, closed in building with a wood stove and water tank? No problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 04:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,238 Posts

I am finishing up a big shed I built. 12 x 16 with a 19' peak roof. I have a large loft area and rafters above it for additional storage. With the exception of a few times to have help lift up wall and roof framing sections, I have done all the work myself. Other than the roofing nails for the felt paper there are no nails in construction. It is all done with decking screws.

If you can do it yourself, you can customize it as you see fit, like I did. and its a great feeling of pride showing it off. Also you know no corners were cut or inferior supplies used. If a tornado is bearing down on my home, I am getting in my shed!!
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 05:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,861 Times in 1,338 Posts

Depending on your county you may need a building permit. Most counties the rule is if it is less than 80sq ft sometimes less than 120sq ft you don't need a permit.

The prebuilt structures that are brought in on skids sometimes get around the permit since it has no foundation. So that might be a plus for a prebuilt shed.

However quality on those usually sucks/subpar at best. If you have a month of free weekends and a helper you could probably knock one out that is better quality.

What ever you do I would only choose the path that you can accomplish without taking out a loan or putting it on credit cards.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:17 PM

No idea on costs but I would build it myself simply because I like doing things like that. But also consider the time factor. Having a shed prebuilt means you have a lot more time to do other projects. It may also be quicker to buy one than build one.

Good luck. It is a great idea.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:50 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,556 Times in 506 Posts

Thanks for the input folks......yes I do have power and septic already in place.

Minimum square footage for my county to build without permit is 120'

The attraction to builing my own is that I can use 2x10's for the exterior walls.....then recess cabinets in the walls to maximize space. I can also make it taller for a loft.

The big question here is the time to build.

I'm still on the fence about all of this.

HK
Old 05-10-2020, 06:59 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,138 Times in 456 Posts

If time is an issue, what about a Conex? Wouldn't give you the width(unless you got more than one and started welding). Last one I bought was $2,250 for a 40' high cube, delivered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cavedweller For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrykjr View Post
The attraction to builing my own is that I can use 2x10's for the exterior walls.....then recess cabinets in the walls to maximize space. I can also make it taller for a loft.
Get a quote from a couple of companies for the design you want. Some will be willing to do custom jobs.
Or use one of their standard sheds as a starting point and say "can you do this shed with 2x10 walls and taller?". Let them know you will build if you need to and this might help to keep the price down.
The Following User Says Thank You to down under For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 07:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,133 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the input folks......yes I do have power and septic already in place.

HK
You are certainly not maximizing space by using 2x10s. You are just bringing the walls in and killing any space around the cabinets. In addition,a 2 x 10 x 8 is 4 times more each than a 2 x 4 x 8. You still need to insulate behind the cabinets. So less space and 4 times the cost does not add up.

Consider what you put on the exterior. LP makes an OSB that looks like wood grain T-111. It is supposed to hold up great. Regular T-111 kind of sucks. Hardie makes some too it is a little costly though. Don't skip on the exterior materials and flashing as water is your worst enemy for longevity.

Really, for living space, a 10x12 shed just does not seem practical.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hound Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 10:31 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 37,555 Times in 10,400 Posts

I built something similar a few yrs back. I already owned the property. Already had power and a well.
I owned a nice 30ft 5th wheel camp trailer, and I needed dry storage, and a way to winterize the trailer.

So I designed and built a 32ft long polebarn, with a 16ft high roof height, parked the trailer just inches from the polebarn, and added a shed roof over the trailer roof. The trailer door opens into the barn, and I installed a wood stove in the barn, right next to the trailer door.

The completed building is 24ft x 32ft, plus 12ft x 32ft for shed, and cost arround $8k
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_162326.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	303470  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 10:44 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,185 Times in 1,320 Posts

Quote:

HK
Where I live it is 120 Sq FT. But I can have three without a permit. What a joke that is. So in the back yard, I could line 3 up side by side. If I was sneaky I could cut a doorway and tie the three together. Would never see it behind my house.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:47 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 9,701 Times in 3,033 Posts

There is a 10' x 24' prefabricated building here
It was finished with Styrofoam insulation and Luan wall covering
Has a both back and front porches
Double 3/4" plywood flooring
100 amp service
I think it is dandy
I would not have taken the time to build it
My main issue with it is nails and staples and brads
I only use screws when I build something
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 11:30 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,286 Times in 1,282 Posts

For that kind of scratch, I'd build it and twice as big.
The Following User Says Thank You to saln For This Useful Post: