Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-24-2020, 05:34 PM

Default Ruger gsr556 vs ruger American

Advertise Here

Looking to get a bolt gun in 223 because i have stocked about 4500 223. Already have an AR.

Dumb question, i can shoot 223 or 556 ammo through the GSR correct?

Thoughts on which gun to buy.?

I know the gsr has 10 round mags
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2020, 08:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,015 Times in 4,068 Posts

I recommend you handle both in person.

I didn't do that and bought a Left Hand Ruger Gunsite Scout 308 off Gunbroker. The action is horrible tons of side to side movement of the bolt with action open. Making a quick second shot from the shoulder is just about impossible.

Once the pandemic cools down a bit I plan to go to Bass Pro and compare the action of my Ruger to other Rugers on the rack. Wondering if I got lemon or are they all are that way?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2020, 08:42 AM
I'M READY!!

Thanked 10,532 Times in 3,335 Posts

I've handled a Ruger American in .223 at Cabela's a while back. It was ok for a budget gun. Bolt "feel" was a little sloppy and unrefined but not bad at all. Stock was cheap feeling but serviceable.

I ended up buying a Savage Axis with iron sights installed instead.

That being said, the Ruger was better fit and finish but was almost $200cad more than the Savage because of Savages rebate promotion at the time. For my purposes as a rarely used, lightweight varmint gun, the cheaper option made more sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elliott264 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2020, 02:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,799 Times in 3,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastforme View Post
Looking to get a bolt gun in 223 because i have stocked about 4500 223. Already have an AR.

Dumb question, i can shoot 223 or 556 ammo through the GSR correct?

Thoughts on which gun to buy.?

I know the gsr has 10 round mags

It will chamber and fire both 223 and 5.56mm. Look at your receiver markings.

GSR sports iron sights, controlled round feed, left/ right hand versions, stainless steel, and threaded muzzle with a flash hider.

Depending on the model, the American has some of these features, and can be had for less money.

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2020, 03:03 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
I recommend you handle both in person.

I didn't do that and bought a Left Hand Ruger Gunsite Scout 308 off Gunbroker. The action is horrible tons of side to side movement of the bolt with action open. Making a quick second shot from the shoulder is just about impossible.

Once the pandemic cools down a bit I plan to go to Bass Pro and compare the action of my Ruger to other Rugers on the rack. Wondering if I got lemon or are they all are that way?
Mine is a 308 LH 18in bbl stainless, and has similar issues, but part of the problem stemmed from the magazines. Once I found better quality mags, the issue is not near as bad. Same with 2 other GSR rifles.

https://alphaindmfg.com/products.html

Was also interested in the Mossberg MVP 308, as it accepts M14 / AR308 mags. ( Have 100s of M14 mags already). Irons sights and threaded tube with a better flash hider than that found on the GSR.

Among other issues, it only fed well using the factory mag.

Im fairly certain that thier version chambered in 5.56mm/ 223 will accept AR mags, but I dont know how well/ bad they feed from them personally. Op might be interested since he owns an AR already, and especially if his priority is a bolt gun that simply fires his " AR" ammo.

Much more money, but look here if you want your bolt action accurate, reliable, and " silky smooth".......

https://www.gaprecision.net/

Absolute " best of the best"in my experience.

11B
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2020, 04:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,015 Times in 4,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Mine is a 308 LH 18in bbl stainless, and has similar issues, but part of the problem stemmed from the magazines. Once I found better quality mags, the issue is not near as bad. Same with 2 other GSR rifles.

https://alphaindmfg.com/products.html

Was also interested in the Mossberg MVP 308, as it accepts M14 / AR308 mags. ( Have 100s of M14 mags already). Irons sights and threaded tube with a better flash hider than that found on the GSR.

Among other issues, it only fed well using the factory mag.

Im fairly certain that thier version chambered in 5.56mm/ 223 will accept AR mags, but I dont know how well/ bad they feed from them personally. Op might be interested since he owns an AR already, and especially if his priority is a bolt gun that simply fires his " AR" ammo.

Much more money, but look here if you want your bolt action accurate, reliable, and " silky smooth".......

https://www.gaprecision.net/

Absolute " best of the best"in my experience.

11B

I'm having Savage build me a "custom" Desert Left Hand 110 Scout. They will use the action, tan stock, Accu-Trigger off a Left Hand 110 Tactical:

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57524

And the barrel, iron sights, and rail off a Right Hand 110 Scout.
https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57026

They quoted me MSRP $1110. My dealer is selling it to me for $1050.

Plan to put a DeadAir Nomad-L, once approved - in the distant future.
Plus have a Leupold VXR Scout scope.

Will hold on to the Ruger till then at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2020, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the replies
Old 04-27-2020, 11:03 PM
Target Shooter

If you want a benchrest .223, get a CZ 527. They also make tactical version as well. I personally like my Mossberg Patrol in 5.56. It goes very well with my PSA braced pistol. Had my braced pistol been shorter, I would have forego the sidearm and carry additional AR mags that go into both firearms. Currently, I have scope on my Patrol but only iron sights on my braced pistol. But as my AR has 12” barrel, 2 of which is the flash can, I carry my G17 or G34 and 5 additional mags. Overall, my load out is 12 AR mags, 5 33-rd glock mags, 1 60-rd Surefire AR mag, and 1 17-rds glock mag with +2 baseplate.

It may sound like a lot but I tried a simulate wood walk before and it only lasted 45 mins of engagement at the fastest pace and 100 minutes if I really tried to conserve ammo. Remember that ammo is no good if you are shot because you didn’t return fire sufficiently and your attacker(s) turned your cover into poor concealment. the best bet is always using effective stealth defensive position to snipe or avoid the confrontation altogether.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redneck007 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 01:41 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 15,834 Times in 4,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck007 View Post
If you want a benchrest .223, get a CZ 527. They also make tactical version as well. I personally like my Mossberg Patrol in 5.56. It goes very well with my PSA braced pistol. Had my braced pistol been shorter, I would have forego the sidearm and carry additional AR mags that go into both firearms. Currently, I have scope on my Patrol but only iron sights on my braced pistol. But as my AR has 12Ē barrel, 2 of which is the flash can, I carry my G17 or G34 and 5 additional mags. Overall, my load out is 12 AR mags, 5 33-rd glock mags, 1 60-rd Surefire AR mag, and 1 17-rds glock mag with +2 baseplate.

It may sound like a lot but I tried a simulate wood walk before and it only lasted 45 mins of engagement at the fastest pace and 100 minutes if I really tried to conserve ammo. Remember that ammo is no good if you are shot because you didnít return fire sufficiently and your attacker(s) turned your cover into poor concealment. the best bet is always using effective stealth defensive position to snipe or avoid the confrontation altogether.
That's a LOT of weight.

If you run into a situation that requires that much volume of fire against multiple attackers you are going to DIE. Also a 45 min fire fight is a LONG time to dodge bullets.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:58 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,132 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Quote:
If you want a benchrest .223, get a CZ 527. They also make tactical version as well. I personally like my Mossberg Patrol in 5.56. It goes very well with my PSA braced pistol. Had my braced pistol been shorter, I would have forego the sidearm and carry additional AR mags that go into both firearms. Currently, I have scope on my Patrol but only iron sights on my braced pistol. But as my AR has 12” barrel, 2 of which is the flash can, I carry my G17 or G34 and 5 additional mags. Overall, my load out is 12 AR mags, 5 33-rd glock mags, 1 60-rd Surefire AR mag, and 1 17-rds glock mag with +2 baseplate.

It may sound like a lot but I tried a simulate wood walk before and it only lasted 45 mins of engagement at the fastest pace and 100 minutes if I really tried to conserve ammo. Remember that ammo is no good if you are shot because you didn’t return fire sufficiently and your attacker(s) turned your cover into poor concealment. the best bet is always using effective stealth defensive position to snipe or avoid the confrontation altogether.
That's a LOT of weight.

If you run into a situation that requires that much volume of fire against multiple attackers you are going to DIE. Also a 45 min fire fight is a LONG time to dodge bullets.
I wouldn’t trust my life to a 60 round SureFire. Drum at mags are jam o Matics.

I think I’m most cases 10 rounds for the ar and 3 for the pistol is more than adequate. Unless you KNOW you are getting in a gun fight. If you know you are going to have a gun fight, I recommend to stay home if possible.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:21 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 18,358 Times in 4,051 Posts

Quote:

First off, I have to agree with the others. 12 AR mags is a lot of weight. I know first hand. On my last deployment to Iraq we were given double basic load, so we had 14... I had one in the gun, one more on it in a buttstock pouch (provided by the unit) and 12 on my body armor. Never went through it.

Second... the real question(s)...
What kind of scenario did you play out in those woods that the firefight lasted 45 minutes long?

Did you have any team mates with you, or were on some solo patrol?

Were you being overrun in Banzai attacks, and Korea style chinese human waves?

Did you move to E&E, of just sit in one static position, and bang away?

If so, was it a prepared, or hasty position. Either can be easily over come by the way, (if you're on your own, or by air) don't care how much ammo you have.

What I'm getting at is you do NOT EVER want to get in a damn 45 minute long firefight... unless you're part of a uniformed Army, with access to all the assets that come with.
The Following User Says Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 03:26 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
I wouldn’t trust my life to a 60 round SureFire. Drum at mags are jam o Matics.

I think I’m most cases 10 rounds for the ar and 3 for the pistol is more than adequate. Unless you KNOW you are getting in a gun fight. If you know you are going to have a gun fight, I recommend to stay home if possible.
The Surefire mags (60 and 100rds) aren't drums. They are quad-stack stick mags.

The 60rd Magpul is a drum and VERY reliable. It is pretty compact but quite pricey compared to just clamping 2 30rd mags together.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:17 AM
Survivor

Quote:

Good post above. ( Although the 45minute engagement time is speculative)

At least you are putting first hand effort into carrying your chosen loadout to find out for yourself if that loadout fills your requirements. ( More important.....your putting your LBE to the test.)

As for weight:

12 loaded aluminum 30rd AR magazines = 230.4 ounces.

1 loaded Surefire 60rd magazine = 32.32 ounces.

5 loaded Glock 9mm 33rd magazines = 105 ounces.

1 loaded Glock 17 ( plus 2) magazine = 10.5 ounces

1 unloaded ( no magazine) Glock 17 = 22 ounces.

Weigh your " long gun" , and you will have an exact overall weight in weapons/ ammo carried.

Totals in ammo/ mag weight:

AR = 16.42 lbs
9mm = 7.22 lbs

Grand total = 23.64 lbs

Note: The above gives you 420 rds of 5.56mm and 284 rds of 9mm.

A few suggestions :

1. Swap 4 of those 33rd Glock mags for 4 30rd AR mags.

2. Weight is increased once your LBE is completely soaked, and especially if you deal with mud. Add this in your evals if there is a chance of rain in your future.

3. Nobody in thier right mind prays to thier gods to end up in gunfights. ( Pray for the best.... prepare for the worst). A few things to consider in regards to security.....Have friends you can count on that are willing to train with you iot form a cohesive team of sorts. A few more hints......defense in depth, early warning, passive defensive measures, counter mobility, counter recon.
( Just a few here to get them juices flowin)

4. Incorporate a cache program.

5. As always.....the number 1 most important rule any " prepper " should live by applies. ( Top physical conditioning/ medical and dental readiness.)

11B
Old 05-02-2020, 09:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,039 Times in 2,534 Posts

I picked up a couple of Ruger Americans in the past year. One in 22-250 and one in 7mm-08. One for hunting deer and one for varmints. mounted scope and sighted them in. Both function well. I have a fantasy of a week long varmint hunt this summer. I'll take the 22-250 and a hornet. maybe a 22 mag. We shall see how this pans out if the virus ever opens things up
Old 05-05-2020, 05:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,703 Times in 1,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
First off, I have to agree with the others. 12 AR mags is a lot of weight. I know first hand. On my last deployment to Iraq we were given double basic load, so we had 14... I had one in the gun, one more on it in a buttstock pouch (provided by the unit) and 12 on my body armor. Never went through it.
The Army never runs out of new generations of clueless PL/Co Cdr that do not understand "A Soldiers Load".
Old 05-09-2020, 11:40 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
The thing is you never need that ammo...until you NEED it.

Those Rangers in Mogadishu sure wouldn't have minded the extra ammo. Ditto for the two SF guys at the crash site.

Same for that Army unit in Iraq(might have been Afghanistan) that had to have helos fly low and toss out body bags of ammo. It was one of the instances where the M4 was exceeding its designed sustained rate of fire and having issues.

Quote:
Second... the real question(s)...
What kind of scenario did you play out in those woods that the firefight lasted 45 minutes long?

Did you have any team mates with you, or were on some solo patrol?

Were you being overrun in Banzai attacks, and Korea style chinese human waves?

Did you move to E&E, of just sit in one static position, and bang away?

If so, was it a prepared, or hasty position. Either can be easily over come by the way, (if you're on your own, or by air) don't care how much ammo you have.

What I'm getting at is you do NOT EVER want to get in a damn 45 minute long firefight... unless you're part of a uniformed Army, with access to all the assets that come with.
Totally agree. Unlike COD where some of these people seem to get their ideas, there is no "saved game" to come back to in real life.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:43 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
The Army never runs out of new generations of clueless PL/Co Cdr that do not understand "A Soldiers Load".
Iirc I believe the Army's new chest rig setup has 8 mags on it. With 1 in the rifle and another on the buttstock that's 10 mags to roll out with.