Chicken Tractor Design You Like That's Varmit Prooof? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-04-2020, 05:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,286 Times in 1,282 Posts
Default Chicken Tractor Design You Like That's Varmit Prooof?

Advertise Here

Who uses them? Got a design you like? Varmit proof? Easy to move? Have allot of ground and lots of insects.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to saln For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 07:13 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 26,509 Times in 7,814 Posts
Default CAW!

Tried em, didn't like the hassle of moving it around with birds inside and sure is inconvenient to collect eggs.

this is a for sure ymmv item
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 03:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,416 Times in 2,506 Posts

This is what I started with and it was cheap and it was conveinent somewhat. If its light enough for you to move it by hand...its not varmint proof or too small, I assure you! Collecting eggs is a pain for sure even as a teenager! Walk in coop and hen house is the way to go, despite the cost if this is a long term investment. Use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire when you build it!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2020, 09:32 PM
Free Born

Thanked 4,774 Times in 1,284 Posts

From just about every source and person I know that has chickens with predators around will tell you that anything portable will not be predator proof.
The Following User Says Thank You to chaosofcreation For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 07:45 AM
VIP Member

I tried them, found out needed to be varmint proof, put extensions on all 4 corners to hold a hot wire about 3" out from the 'tractor' and 3" up from the ground. Used an extension cord to bring 'power' to this wire (all of my pastures are 100' wide (may be up to 2000' long), all have hot wire, so never more than 50' from a energizer source.

THAT worked.

Used a hand truck to pick up one end and drag forward... though about making some set of wheels for the back end but never did. Decided that if I ever did this again, it would EITHER be on wheels with a wire bottom, and some system to raise and lower and raise it up (? better for raising fryers ?) OR it would just be a 4-wheel trailer that that was roost / nest box's / feeder with auto doors that close at night time and a little fold up ramp for them to go up and down (for laying hen's?).

What I am currently using is a solid predator tight (on concrete slab) well insulated (but well ventilated) house with a lot of South glass, and an automatic door that opens into a very small pen on a slab. This small pen has little doors that open out into 4 different 'mini-chicken-paddocks' OR I can leave the main door open for a 5th grazing area. I leave them in one paddock until dirt is just showing, move to the next and scatted some fast growing seed and water the one they left.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertSWMissouri For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 09:55 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,520 Times in 769 Posts

I built mine with large caster wheels under 2x6 pressure treated lumber. I had 2x4 woven wire down to the ground and a door to go in and out. I built a coop at waist height running down the center. It was heavy. I would put my back to a corner, lift, and drive with my legs to move the thing.

I think chicken tractors are best used with lots of help and young hands. Oh, and no young children in the house. It got to be too much work for me.

I did lose a lot of weight while I used chicken tractors though.
The Following User Says Thank You to da_wanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,241 Times in 517 Posts

Chicken tractor... use people tractor to move it. Wrap the whole thing in chain link, including the bottom. That way predators can't dig under and come up inside. You also have to line the bottom and about 3' up the sides with hardware cloth to keep snakes out. They WILL find your chickens, chicks and eggs.
The Following User Says Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 02:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,286 Times in 1,282 Posts

Ya, it's beginning to look like a losing proposition. I have a nice coop and a decent predator proof run for them but the number of animals I have to kill around here just to stay ahead of the predator curve is nuts.

I was thinking about a 8 or 10 foot, small a frame w/ hardware cloth on half and weather shelter on the other half, light enough to pull along but heavy enough to keep coons, foxes, etc from lifting off the ground, cinder block weights...

Guess if they want em bad enough, a coon or two could dig under it in a night and wipe em out, especially if the thing sits up off the ground at all, on fresh lofted cuttings. Seems like a good idea, save food, kill ticks, work the ground, etc but still thinking about the varmit issue, not wanting to risk my meals.

Sounds to me like the way to go is to build a little light tractor like above, then cover the whole thing in a custom shaped chain link overall, staked to the ground, then pull stakes and re-do after moving. At least that give 2 barriers to get through and takes time... Still thinking on this one, thanks everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to saln For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 02:59 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,241 Times in 517 Posts

No reason to stake it... Here is my plan. Of course I have a couple other projects on-going.

Frame welded up with 2" pipe ( I have access to a bunch). Chain link wrapped under bottom lengthwise (for when I drag it). Hardware cloth three feet up the sides (stop most if not all snakes). Chain link and shade cloth across top. I guess I'd make the coop itself about 5 foot deep with external access to the egg boxes on each side. Room for about 6 chickens per side I guess. I'll have a man gate on one end and a chicken door (automatic I guess) from the coop to the run. I'd weld a good chain to the base and just drag it a length or two with the tractor every few days.
The Following User Says Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post: