Survivalist Forum banner

Bread & Baking Out of Sight!

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  eyepal 
#1 ·
While Amazon isn't completely out of bread or baking needs...their prices are staggering :eek: and the local stores ARE out of bread, have been for days. Good thing I have 1+ loaf left because I can't get the baking supplies until after the 1st-7th, i.e., baking powder, b'ing soda, cream of tartar. Meanwhile, I have plenty of waffles, crackers and baking mix on hand :D:. Can't buy yeast either unless I want to pay 5x the price or more. So much for keeping the prices down like the said they would. Yeah, right...in a pig's eye :rolleyes:.

You woud NOT believe how many are on FB searching for bread, diapers, TP and anything else they didn't get in time before the pandemic hit :xeye:. Fortunately, there's a lady in town that just happens to have bakery shop, loves to bake bread and they're already runny her ragged...for free. She's not charging them, but after 60+ loaves in 2 days time, she welcomed donations of supplies. No, I didn't ask for bread, I'll make my own. Speaking of which, did know bread can be made in a crock pot in 7 minutes? I didn't. I got thinking about it, didn't really figure it was possible till I research it. Learn something new everyday, lol :thumb:..

#6 ·
The people who are screaming shortages aren't seeking alternative sources.
There are no masks, gloves, cleaning supplies or TP at HD or Lowes - try that mom and pop lumber yard.
Walgreens is out of alcohol, aloe vera gel, soap, sanitizers - try barber and beauty supply stores
Walmart is out of TP, flour, meat...DRIVE. There is plenty to be found but you have to go out of your way to do it. You can't just stop at one Walmart and claim there is none to be had. The tiny hispanic mkt AND the $ store on the edge of Tulsa have meat and produce.

#8 ·
I agree, but I don't have the option of driving now. My fault for not realizing the need for b. soda, b. powder and crème of tartar. I haven't used any of this stuff for YEARS! However, I still got it...on order :D:.
One thing I like about Amazon, is they let you know right up front when something is OUT, none of this BS about, "We're Sorry and (blah, blah, blah) we're out, try again later."
Anyway, I'm getting a new freezer and filling it with bread :D::thumb:.

#9 ·
I just made banana bread in the crockpot yesterday. It turned out really good, however I would use about half the sugar the recipe calls for. If I get bananas in the near future...my recommendation if baking bread items in crock pot is to check sooner than a recipe calls for if they are baked, as some bake faster than others especially if you have a bigger crock, etc. https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a25937151/crock-pot-banana-bread/
I did without the cinnamon, chocolate chips and vanilla it was still very good.

#10 ·
I'm looking forward to trying out the recipe. I'm not keen on banana bread, but with less sugar, I'll try this one :thumb:.
BTW, if you saw my thread on fruitcakes, I never did get around to making them, lol. No oven :xeye:. I have a toaster over that bakes well and now, the crock pot of course :D:.

#11 ·
I wimped out years ago and bought a bread machine. I got it mainly because fresh bread tastes so much better than the stuff in stores. I've got enough white and wheat flour to lasts months, and when that runs out I'll be making corn bread.
If you haven't tried one, you just throw the ingredients in there, push the start button, and a few hours later you smell fresh bread. You can even set a timer so the loaf is ready first thing in the morning when you get out of bed.
It is truly the lazy person's easiest way to make bread.

#14 ·
I just went to local restaurant supply, plenty of bread and yeast though flour, cornmeal, and dried beans (usually in 25-50 lb sacks) were cleaned out. Thats a lot of product if you can buy it but the per pound price is good. Bread prices and tortillas are about the same as grocery, sometimes even higher.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.