Shelter On the Go: Natural Shelter, or Modern Equipment - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-22-2019, 02:00 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 26,562 Times in 8,610 Posts

Advertise Here

When you go mobile, most of the time you can sleep on the ground with a poncho liner draped over you. Most of us who served in Viet Nam did that for months on end. When the Monsoon season hit, then you needed a light shelter which would be some tarps or ponchos tied together to deflect large amounts of water.

You can put up a tarp shelter in a few minutes if you have some paracord, string or light rope. If you are about 6 feet tall you should probably get a tarp about 12 feet long or double your length. This gives you enough room for one person to comfortably shelter under a tarp. If you try to put a tarp or poncho over a tree limb, expect that tarp or poncho to sway when that limb moves around because of the wind. That's why so many of us used steel rods, engineers stakes and log poles instead of tree limbs for holding our tarps or ponchos.

You angle the tarp or poncho down so that the water immediately runs off of it. Also figure which direction the rain will be coming from and angle the tarp so that the rain hits the tarp flat from that direction. You fix your rucksack off to one side or the other so that, if need be, you can use it for cover and shoot from behind it.

With a poncho and poncho liner, you can tie the liner into the poncho and have an instant kind of sleeping bag for use on cooler weather nights. So right up until the really cold snowy nights you can pretty much sleep on the ground without actually putting up a poncho or tarp shelter.

Travelling light has always pretty much been how Americans have moved across the U.S. over the years. Early pioneers did it. Hobos did it. Rodger's Rangers did it. When you look at it, it's almost a custom or tradition for us to travel light.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 05:18 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,934 Times in 881 Posts

If I am truely on the go and want to stay natural I would do a tarp/vapor barrier and a debris hut (pile of leaves on you in a shallow hole). Easy to make, keeps you warm and mostly dry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 06:01 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 12,158 Times in 3,954 Posts

Quote:
Early pioneers did it
Early pioneers had wagon trains, boats, carts and horses. Nobody pioneered anything with just their backpack.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 06:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,917 Times in 6,432 Posts

All about the tent/tarp. It’s 5 minutes to put up, can be used just as a wrap, and weighs 3.5 lbs, and doesn’t rely on anything that may or may not be available in the landscape.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 06:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,602 Times in 8,260 Posts

Nice videos by the way. First time I have seen a Tracker do anything useful as well.

To the question it would be a combination. I mean if I found a tarp or some corrugated iron. I am not going to leave it on the ground and not use it.

And I also would have to sleep somewhere while I am building that.

https://youtu.be/aC-A6SP3EsQ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,596 Times in 3,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringCaveman View Post
Scenario: it's time to bug out and you need to stay mobile for a while. I mean roughing it. What is your preference when it comes to keeping yourself dry and generally out of the weather? Modern equipment or natural shelter?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm partial to making stuff from things from the landscape. It has its pros and cons. Here are a couple of examples of (long term) natural shelters that I've done. They work like a charm and blend in with the landscape much better than a tent.

Your thoughts.

This one was built in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey.

Awesome Survival Cement Cabin (Hogan) w/ Cedar Bark Roof and Dakota Fire Pit - YouTube

This one I just finished a month ago in Europe.

Amazing Long-Term Survival Hut, Rammed-Earth Walls, Debris Roof - YouTube
You aren't "stating mobile" if you have time to build those structures in your video.

Obvious answer is thus, modern equipment. Though such can be a simple as a tarp.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgar View Post
my bigger concern is how did you get away with practicing "bushcraft" in the pine barrens? I've been there, its in the republic of nj and I thought it was protected land and they would treat you worse than a murderer in newark if caught for disturbing it.
Thanks for all that. I was on private land.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
Nice videos by the way. First time I have seen a Tracker do anything useful as well.https://youtu.be/aC-A6SP3EsQ
That cracked me up. Did you mean the people or the knife?
Old 07-25-2019, 10:15 PM

Depends on the climate your in.

With that said an old school military poncho and some cord go a long way in many different environments and are light weight. Easy enough to put up a low laying shelter in the woods or a sun shade in the open. Plus it's a poncho and can be used as such for movement during rain to keep you partially dry.

If its super cold you're going to need to take a little more time to ensure you have a shelter that will keep you alive.

If your in a jungle you're going to have to take some time to ensure you have a place to sleep off the ground.

Regardless of where you are at staying dry and conserving energy for required tasks is super important.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cracked Cranium For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 04:59 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 7,998 Times in 3,039 Posts

I like my modern tent... keeps the bugs and snakes and rodents out., and the cat in. Most improvised shelters won't do these things as well. Also better at keeping rain and groundwater out than some improvised shelters.

As far as speed... I can be in a pine/fir/spruce with a few extra branches very, very quickly. But it's more camouflage and rudimentary shelter, and won't prevent the cat/dog from wandering off/chasing something.

In winter, I like igloos, and secondarily snow caves. Good camouflage and when constructed/used properly with a moss burner, you won't freeze to death There is still the issue of cat/dog wandering/chasing. No snakes or bugs to worry about, but other critters can be a problem. Not too much time invested if you know what you're doing.

Pine barrons… the biggest thing when I was there was no smoking, no fires, and it was jail and a huge fine if you threw a cigarette out the window while driving through (70 was a prime example). They did levy both civil and criminal charges/penalties on people that started grassfires, forestfires, etc. I wish Kommiefornia and some other places were half as conscientious about preventing fires and prosecuting people that were responsible for them as NJ
Old 08-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Nothing to see here...

Tarps/ponchos are one item that are nearly indispensable for most regions in my book. Same with a poncho liner/woobies...

Even with a tent we will often use 1 or more tarps either under the tent or as an additional rainfly or "dry" space outside of the tent. I've only done a few debris shelters as a learning opportunity and found (for me anyway) that having a small tarp or sheet of plastic directly over my and under the debris helped ensure that the sleeping space was water resistant. One of the things I noticed on the TV series Alone is that many of them used their tarps in a similar manner.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,961 Times in 3,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringCaveman View Post
Yes, I wanted to show my stuff off, but the question was still genuine nonetheless.
So, my question to you is, how long did it take to make those shelters and how many calories did you burn? As a semi-permanent (say 3-6 months), I think they are awesome. If you're trying to stay mobile and travel 10+miles a day, they are counterproductive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
Movement is your primary focus.
Keep it light.

Tarp
I think there is a balance. The minimum "mobile" shelter kit should be a tarp and insulation. The key of a tarp is to keep off precipitation, extreme sun exposure and block wind. You still need good ground insulation and top insulation depending on the weather conditions.

While I have built a debris hut and small A-frame or lean-to shelters, they take time and calories, both of which are valuable assets that need to be maximized. A tarp as the basis of a shelter will save hours and hundreds of calories; a tent would be even better.

I like a balance of having shelter ready to go immediately, but if I have the time, it's good to practice the skill of building a natural shelter. If you have to hunker down for a several weeks in cold weather, a natural shelter that is insulated with a fire is going to beat tent for longer term shelter needs. Additionally, tents will eventually fail and tarps can be torn by strong winds or falling branches. While a trap of some type is my primary, knowing how to efficiently build a waterproof, windproof, and even insulated shelter is a good skill to have.

ROCK6