Cold Steel Wakizashi - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 07-20-2020, 12:08 PM
What would Mal do

Thanked 8,169 Times in 2,728 Posts

Advertise Here

yard work...so, Saturday heat index pegged at 105. I was out there with a powered brush cutter getting into a hill, saplings etc..old Uncle Sam issued boots due to snake concerns and long jeans to help protect me from debry.

2 hours of that and I was happy to make it back to put the tools in the garage and get to the back deck to sit and cool down.. 63 yrs old is crawling all over this ol boy..and 2 hours mid day in that heat...naw...even with a good power cutter I was spent..can't imagine hand cutting with any kind of blade these days...there.. I confess (grin)

my old days of karate didn't include a lot of weapons (tang soo do).

my son (now 40) got into more of blade stuff and in fact he did the bokken mods for me...we occassionally spar in the front yard..well...no..that's not correct...he occassionally kicks my butt..but at least we both have learned how to take a fall (grin)
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bighanded For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 12:21 PM
What hell, pay attention

Thanked 12,970 Times in 5,237 Posts

Yard work (of all sorts) for me "was" work. 10-12 hour days, and a lot of physical labor, and they dont care what the temps are. -5 to 105, its all the same.

Im 65 now and said screw it this year, with the plague thing going on, and all they got going on just to get back to work, I didnt go back this year. Another good choice too it seems.

I still like being outside and doing things, and that lifelong lifestyle has not waned a bit. The longer you can stay fit and keep at it, the longer youll be able to. Thats what I keep telling myself anyway.

You can try and lie to your body all you want, and it just laughs and laughs.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 12:41 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 11,249 Times in 4,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighanded View Post
yard work...so, Saturday heat index pegged at 105. I was out there with a powered brush cutter getting into a hill, saplings etc..old Uncle Sam issued boots due to snake concerns and long jeans to help protect me from debry.

2 hours of that and I was happy to make it back to put the tools in the garage and get to the back deck to sit and cool down.. 63 yrs old is crawling all over this ol boy..and 2 hours mid day in that heat...naw...even with a good power cutter I was spent..can't imagine hand cutting with any kind of blade these days...there.. I confess (grin)

Same age. I've been clearing the yaupon with a brush blade on the string trimmer. Been over 100 with humidity running in the upper 80% range. In the morning it is an hour outside/hour in the AC. The afternoons have been half hour out working/ hour and a half in the AC.

Hands are just too sweaty to try to hold on to the machete.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:38 AM

I think you should try this place https://katanaswords.net/wakizashi-swords/ because this is better choice.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:19 PM

I own antique Japanese swords from each of the last eight centuries but none are for play. There are businesses that produce swords structurally as good as the upper level authentic swords for people who do martial arts and tamagashiri but they can run expensive. Manufacturers in China have been making fakes so long they are getting pretty good. You could pick up a layered wakizashi with a good differential heat treatment for under $100 that would likely perform almost as well as a $800 tamagashiri sword and way better than the commercial stuff but you would need to be careful about fittings and hardware. If I wanted something like that I would buy the bare blade and make the saya, handle and hardware. That’s still a lot of money and work just to whack saplings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shannonh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 07:42 PM
Lacks social filter

I own a cold steel chisa katana. It’s a tank. Would purchase again.
Good luck on your decision.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shotgunut For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 09:22 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,045 Times in 3,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
Thanks ROCK6 I have looked at the Condor knives before. I really like the Parang machete. I had forgot about it but I also have a Cold Steel Kukri, an 18" and 13" willow leak bladed machete and several Hawks and hatchets and short axe. The Cold Steel machetes I have are the bargain versions that are not fancy. But they seem to have decently hard steel. At least they took some work to make them sharp.

I think maybe my fascination with swords started when I did a lot of reading on the American/Filipino war and read how devastating the Moros were with their short swords and machete's against the American troops and before that the French troops. They did have firearms but not many.
I have the Condor Parang and I can recommend it but, it is not a sword as far as being able to wield. Definitely a machete.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:58 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,527 Times in 638 Posts

A week ago I watched a movie called Hotel Rwanda about the war between the Tutsi's and Hutu's and in one part a wooden box was dropped and out spilled what must have been hundreds of Machetes. The warehouse owner said they were cheap Chinese made Machetes he paid $.50 cents for and would sell to the Hutus for $5 apeice. These were used to slauter a large number of Tutsi people.

I guess it doesn't take much of an edged weapon to do in another person.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
A week ago I watched a movie called Hotel Rwanda about the war between the Tutsi's and Hutu's and in one part a wooden box was dropped and out spilled what must have been hundreds of Machetes. The warehouse owner said they were cheap Chinese made Machetes he paid $.50 cents for and would sell to the Hutus for $5 apeice. These were used to slauter a large number of Tutsi people.

I guess it doesn't take much of an edged weapon to do in another person.
Yea, those were animals not humans. They setup checkpoints and if they want to keep you for questioning they would just cut their Achiles heel so they can't run away.
Bam, at $5 a piece the guy made a fortune. I think one of the bankers who is being accused of planning the war, and was providing the machetes,
he ordered the machetes by weight !!! something like tens of tons of machetes, each delivery. Talking about brutality and misconduct.