WONDER WHAT a generator with a can of gas is going for? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 08-09-2020, 03:05 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 9,507 Times in 3,611 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
Heck, I carry a manual can opener in my pocket at all times (P-38) and we don't even own an electric one.
Same here. Have multiple "Swingaway" manual can openers, as well as numerous P-38s (had gotten a 100-pack) I put one under the plastic lid of each and every can of the LTS storage items; 1 on my key ring; another on my purse; 1 in each BOB; and STILL have quite a few left over in the bag. Might go ahead and order another 100-pack, just because.

And yeah, I don't have an electric can opener, either.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 03:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza killer View Post
I believe at least some of the parts are made in Japan. I know at least one model is assembled in North Carolina. I have read some reviews that were less than favorable on some cheap chinese gen,s. I would say that if you find a cheap chinese gen. that in every way is as good as a Honda, it would be an exception. The proof is in the running. After a few thousand hours of running you may find that your gen is indeed as good as a Honda. But then again you may not. I,m not suggesting everyone should buy one but they do have their place. On generator forums they seem to be the most highly thought of machines which translates into easier to sell and higher resale value. Not every one needs or wants a $200 chefs knife. The same applies to a $2000 gen, but they seem to be favored by commercial users like festival vendors who run them for long hours. daily
I'm not saying they aren't good...Hondas. But at $2k for a single 2kW 120 volt generator that will generally not run any longer than a good brand x. It doesn't make sense to me. I HATE Honda carburetors. The slightest bit of varnish screws them up big time. Most of the electronics are not Japanese now. I just sold a 10 year old Husky 5kW...ran fine. And just sold a 20 year old Craftsman...ran fine. Neither were Hondas.

To get a large enough Honda to run my well, I can get a 10kW water cooled 1800 rpm diesel generator with 65 gallon fuel tank. https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...2520-%25205699

Hondas just don't make sense to me.

Added: Looks like I mis-quoted the Honda price in my comment above. The 3kW Honda is $2k...not the 2kW model.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 76,113 Times in 23,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thess02 View Post
There are other generators out there besides Honda that are quite reliable and more capable for less money. I currently have an 8kw Dewalt (Generac) with idle down, a 5.5kW Generac fixed rpm, and an 1.8kW Wen inverter. All 3 cost less than a single 2kW Honda. The first 2 will power my well pump and the Wen will sip fuel like a Honda. Just like Honda autos, their gennys aren't what they used to be...not even made in Japan now. I personally can't see paying what Honda wants for their gennys.
I have 2 honda eu200i's which I bought for a couple reasons:

1.lifespan. The cheap ones are designed for occasional use, not tens of thousands of hours.

2. The cheap ones might wear out when parts/service/replacement might be problematic.

3. Pure sine wave power.the cheap geny's aren't so cheap when the dirty power kills your electronics.

4. Fuel conservation. Just like how ammo is more expensive than the gun if you actually shoot: the gas consumption costs more than the geny.
(I get 6.5 hours to a gal of fuel under load)

Also: specific to my situation at the time:
I got them when I was using my mainstream as my moble command center for floor work. I can hook the 2 together and have 4KW, (2 wasn't enough to run my AC) but I could run one to conserve fuel for all other use and they were small enough not to be a PITA moving them all the time.

I prefer to buy quality, and have Good kit I can rely on.

for YEARS I bought cheap junker cars and worked on them all the time.
Now I prefer to buy low millage older vehicles that just need the occasional alternator (last work I did) or other minor repair.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 07:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,120 Times in 6,125 Posts

If you are having to run the generator to run the refrigerator , here is a tip.
1. make all the ice you can while the generator is running the frige.
place the ice in the fridge while the generator is off, and only start the frige when the ice in the frige begins to melt.
2. Run a battery charger on a bank while the generator is driving the frige. this way the lights don't require the generator.
3. Tape the refrigerator door shut so it is not opened hap hazzardly as you might under normal circumstances.
You can use a wired indoor outdoor thermometer to monitor the refrigerator's interrior.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 08:37 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I have 2 honda eu200i's which I bought for a couple reasons:

1.lifespan. The cheap ones are designed for occasional use, not tens of thousands of hours.

2. The cheap ones might wear out when parts/service/replacement might be problematic.

3. Pure sine wave power.the cheap geny's aren't so cheap when the dirty power kills your electronics.

4. Fuel conservation. Just like how ammo is more expensive than the gun if you actually shoot: the gas consumption costs more than the geny.
(I get 6.5 hours to a gal of fuel under load)

Also: specific to my situation at the time:
I got them when I was using my mainstream as my moble command center for floor work. I can hook the 2 together and have 4KW, (2 wasn't enough to run my AC) but I could run one to conserve fuel for all other use and they were small enough not to be a PITA moving them all the time.

I prefer to buy quality, and have Good kit I can rely on.

for YEARS I bought cheap junker cars and worked on them all the time.
Now I prefer to buy low millage older vehicles that just need the occasional alternator (last work I did) or other minor repair.
The Hondas aren't designed for prime power just like most small generators. They use splash lubrication just like most. They are designed for occasional or emergency use.

One doesn't need pure sinewave power for modern electronics. I'm not aware of any generator actually producing that clean of power. Honda doesn't claim this....but if I'm wrong it should state this in your owners manual. If a small generator has an AVR for voltage regulation it will be fine. Most any small portable generator creates some electrical "noise" but most modern electrical devices have power regulation built in to correct and clean up power. Most generator problems creating power issues have been with REALLY low end Chinese units....or poorly maintained machines. Frequent oil changes and annual valve adjustments are the key for all of them not failing and of course ethanol free gasoline. At least this has been my experience.

I work with a lot of generators. All of the portables are throwaways even Hondas. If the power producing alternator end fails...they are all too expensive to repair. I've owned a few generators over the years and recently sold a 20 year old Craftsman 2.5kW...worked fine and wasn't a Honda. Also recently sold a 10 year old Husky 5kW...worked fine. Once any of these small air cooled splash lubricated portable generators get to the 10 year point, it's probably better to retire it to spare status or sell it.

Hondas are Japanese designed, not Japanese built. Many are made in Vietnam because labor is cheaper than in Japan or even China.

I'm not critical of Honda except the price. When I can buy two of different brand for the same cost...I prefer to have a backup. And the choices I've made so far seem to work for me. I currently have 3 portable gennys with one being an inverter. Two of these can run my well pump. The inverter unit is a Wen and sips fuel...2 months old and I picked it up for $275 from a family leaving the country. Ask me in a year if I like Wen since the jury is out...quality wise.

An 1800 rpm water cooled diesel will be my last generator purchase...this year some time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thess02 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 08:41 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If you are having to run the generator to run the refrigerator , here is a tip.
1. make all the ice you can while the generator is running the frige.
place the ice in the fridge while the generator is off, and only start the frige when the ice in the frige begins to melt.
2. Run a battery charger on a bank while the generator is driving the frige. this way the lights don't require the generator.
3. Tape the refrigerator door shut so it is not opened hap hazzardly as you might under normal circumstances.
You can use a wired indoor outdoor thermometer to monitor the refrigerator's interrior.
I put wireless temp sensors in my freezer and garage fridge and put the monitor on the inside of my garage door at eye level.
The Following User Says Thank You to thess02 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 11:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 29,823 Times in 11,060 Posts

Quote:
I put wireless temp sensors in my freezer and garage fridge and put the monitor on the inside of my garage door at eye level.
I need to do that also. Our garage freezer claimed that it would stay frozen for up to 72 hours without power, I'm skeptical.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:51 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,352 Times in 646 Posts

I picked up my MEP-003A for $500 with under 800hrs on it. It had been sitting for years. After ~$150 in parts.. its running like a top and will run off a lot of different fuels.

Its rated at 10k by the military... many have load tested them to over 15k without issue. Its a low RPM unit that is designed to run 10k+hrs between overhauls.

2 55 gallon drums of fuel sitting by.... treated and sealed along with 2k gallons of waste oil that I can centrifuge and run it.

I'm a big fan of old school military surplus equipment.. that is if you can find them still.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr4btTahoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 04:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,966 Times in 1,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Yes, thatís the good way to do it. Seems not everyone has that mindset. We had a friend message after the storm started that he was going out to get 20 gallons of gas after the tornado warnings were up. Messaged back a bit later he couldnít get off his road, trees down in both directions.

The sis-in-law previously mentioned needs the generator for the well, or they are using lake water with no way to process it. I gave them a bunch of water yesterday.

Another friend of the hubs couldnít get his canned food open, only had an electric opener, so gave them an opener.

Times like these shows just who you know for sure you can not count on.

Did find out the neighbor has a network he didnít mention, it showed up on available networks last night! I knew I liked him for more than one reason!
No axe~~~~~?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mule Skinner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 09:45 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 15,158 Times in 6,468 Posts

Power came on a few hours ago, just 2 hours short of seven full days without power.
Our old 5K generator was used a bit over 7 hours per day. We got along OK but had no significant heat until today so we dodged that bullet. Used about 12 gal of gas.
Home depot sold the 50 units they had in stock in 20 min. Also the small engine repair guys have been inundated with non working units. I will never understand the priorities of the average person.
A new unit is on our list but prices have spiked around here not unlike what has been experienced in the firearms market.
Two towns bordering ours had 99% outages. Ours was 80.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 06:18 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
I picked up my MEP-003A for $500 with under 800hrs on it. It had been sitting for years. After ~$150 in parts.. its running like a top and will run off a lot of different fuels.

Its rated at 10k by the military... many have load tested them to over 15k without issue. Its a low RPM unit that is designed to run 10k+hrs between overhauls.

2 55 gallon drums of fuel sitting by.... treated and sealed along with 2k gallons of waste oil that I can centrifuge and run it.

I'm a big fan of old school military surplus equipment.. that is if you can find them still.
A serious problem with the former military generators from my research is they were run 24/7 without periodic maintenance. Oil and filter changes were done far exceeding normal schedules in really hot dusty conditions. They just couldn't be shut down. If you get one from a guard or reserve unit the generator may have been serviced properly. And folks want too much for all of these now.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,827 Times in 979 Posts

Quote:
A serious problem with the former military generators from my research is they were run 24/7 without periodic maintenance. Oil and filter changes were done far exceeding normal schedules in really hot dusty conditions. They just couldn't be shut down. If you get one from a guard or reserve unit the generator may have been serviced properly. And folks want too much for all of these now.
I think $500 is a pretty darn good deal considering a consumer grade 10k even on the used pre covid market would be nearly 2x the price.

I was actually buying 802/803 generators from the base years ago. I bought about 5-6 and kept the best 802 for my needs. I agree that for what there selling for now there not worth it. Your are touching the price of a new cummins or kubota until and these machines are nearly 20yrs old. With that being said I like my mep802 and would gladly pay another $1200 for it. It currently has 250hrs. I did once own a mep802 with 3 hrs, non reset. It was a very clean machine.

In the last 3 years I have seen even the used market for generators skyrocket to the point it's not really worth getting a used one unless it's not running.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:59 PM
Trapper

Quote:
That depends on the unit. I've seen many on the auction block with under 100 original hours. I've seen plenty fresh remans with no run time. Most of these units were rebuilt after each deployment and are tagged as such. Just have to know what to look for.

Mine has a registered 755 hour run time. I can eat of the under side of the valve covers (just did a valve adjustment).
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr4btTahoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 02:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,109 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote:
You would be wrong.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,109 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
No generators available, sis-in-law has been out daily, told her to head tp Rhode Island..they missed the brunt of the storm.

Gas stations that are pumping are starting to report that the only have super left. Ice is a challenge to get as well.
Same across a wide swath of Iowa/Ill this week. Not only gensets and chainsaws unavailable but gas cans. I don't understand not owning a genset or chainsaw but how do you go thru life not owning gas can(s)?

The urban stupidity is astounding. Running your car in garage with the overhead door cracked so you can charge your dang cell phones (5x people hospitalized). Emergency release your overhead door so you can get out but then not manually lock it when you leave (garage bandits trolling for unlocked garage doors). Let you woman light her dang candles and she sets the house on fire (many fire calls). Run the genset in the garage (or next to the house) multiple CO calls. Don't lock your genset to a fixed object (there are large trees laying EVERYWHERE) and it's stolen. Cleaning out an dumping the contents of your ref/freezer within 12hr or so. What?? how long do idiots think it takes a closed ref/freezer to thaw? NO food on hand to eat/starving 24hr after the wind storm. MORONS. Perhaps SOME will learn something from being with out power for a week (very uncommon in Iowa).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 04:48 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
You would be wrong.
Not from my personal experiences when deployed. Many deployed power farms in the desert were operated by contractors. Those contracts required very high power uptimes for the generators....or the contractors lost money. Most diesel gensets require 100-200 hour oil and filter changes in severe service applications. Rarely would the contractors shut the units down for this and only very large units have extended run additional oil tanks from my experience. They would drain and fill oil on the fly without filter changes....if possible. Filters are always bypass types so eventually stop filtering and just bypass oil to keep oil moving.

We have 4 large Cat diesels in use in a municipality set up for prime power if needed. Two are 1.7 megawatt and two are 1.5 megawatt units with two more 1.5 megawatt units on order...all Cats. These are for backup power at a large water plant, 2 waste water plants, and 2 large pump stations. They can't be operated during the oil and filter changes.

These have been my experiences. I may assume small military units when deployed don't need 24/7 power. However, where I was deployed we worked 24/7 in 12 hour shifts and power was always needed.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:55 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
That depends on the unit. I've seen many on the auction block with under 100 original hours. I've seen plenty fresh remans with no run time. Most of these units were rebuilt after each deployment and are tagged as such. Just have to know what to look for.

Mine has a registered 755 hour run time. I can eat of the under side of the valve covers (just did a valve adjustment).
The generators used on deployments I was involved with stayed in theater like most of the equipment. Units would rotate in and out but the equipment remained. Contractors maintained the generators and facilities and didn't care so much for periodic maintenance. the generator sizes ran the gamut from 3kW and up. The prices now on these surplus units are just too high in my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to thess02 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 05:00 AM
SI vis pacem,para bellum

Default ////////////

[QUOTE=SkyKid;20504696]When I lived in NH
I had a gen and plenty of fuel on hand
Heck if needed I could always raid my truck it has a 36 gallon tank
In 08 we went 10 days without electric power
No big deal with a genny[/QUOTE

I tried that once in a black out, to find out modern vehicles. Have a block
in the fuel filler can't siphon like back in the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to surfcast For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 05:18 AM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 86,962 Times in 24,922 Posts

The one that impressed me was the NYC power outage around 2003 or so.
All of the fancy high rise buildings had updated their bathroom fixtures to be all electrically operated. the power outage meant they could not flush the toilets or use the sinks.
I guess it was quite the mess.

And traffic lights were out all over NJ and NY.

I happened to be sitting on my sailboat having just anchored at sunset and opened a bottle of wine and turned on the stereo. didn't impact me at all other than deciding to stay out on the boat overnight and head back the next morning.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...03-42524739711

The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 11:52 AM
Trapper

Quote:
The generators used on deployments I was involved with stayed in theater like most of the equipment. Units would rotate in and out but the equipment remained. Contractors maintained the generators and facilities and didn't care so much for periodic maintenance. the generator sizes ran the gamut from 3kW and up. The prices now on these surplus units are just too high in my opinion.
I for sure wouldn't pay top dollar for one unless it was a fresh unit (either NOS or rebuilt before pulled from service). Mine was only $500.. couldn't pass on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr4btTahoe For This Useful Post: