I wear them when I have to. 106 60.57%
Yes! Everyone should be wearing masks! How dare you!! 29 16.57%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2020, 10:23 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 21,712 Times in 5,574 Posts
Default Mask wearing?

Advertise Here

Just curious, who here has not worn a mask a single time during this "pandemic?"

I've worn one at work (the OR), but that's nothing new. Haven't worn one once outside of an OR. Nor will I.
My wife has only worn one once, when she went back to her school to close out her classroom for the summer. And only because her district made her. She knows they're useless as teats on a boar hog too.

Maybe give a general location as explanation? Would like to see if there are any trends.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:31 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,787 Times in 863 Posts

Your poll options sound pretty skewed. How about a choice for 'yes, I wear one in public places for my safety' in between the 'have to' and make everyone do what I want choices.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 10:34 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 21,712 Times in 5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpals View Post
Your poll options sound pretty skewed. How about a choice for 'yes, I wear one in public places for my safety' in between the 'have to' and make everyone do what I want choices.
I guess you could just think of it as, "I have to for my safety."
I admit, I have a bias on the whole thing, but every opinion is welcome and appreciated!
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 10:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 73,328 Times in 22,605 Posts

I will be wearing One Tuesday when I go to town for the first time in over 3 months.

I'll feel dumb, but I'll also feel dumb if I have a full face P100 and don't use it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 11:16 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,144 Times in 237 Posts

Hmm, those poll options sure make it sound like this thread will be a place for well-reasoned and rational discussion. /sarcasm

What exactly is the point of this thread? Are you looking for pats on the back because you haven't been wearing a mask?

I'm pretty sure a large majority of people here don't really care. I know I sure don't. I wear one when I go to out in public but I really don't care if you do or don't. It's not my problem.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ALprepper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 11:21 PM

Thanked 7,606 Times in 2,050 Posts

I wear one when Required! as in when I had to go to a DR office in the waiting room and next Tue when I go to get a haircut. But those are just while in the waiting rooms, once out of the waiting rooms the masks come off as needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob3rd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 11:49 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,528 Times in 6,485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I will be wearing One Tuesday when I go to town for the first time in over 3 months.

I'll feel dumb, but I'll also feel dumb if I have a full face P100 and don't use it.
Getting over feeling dumb is something we all have to get over. Normalcy bias is no joke. I felt weird as heck the first time I did costco in a p100. My wife really had a hard time with it. We both cut the trip short. But the next time we went a month later it was a lot easier.

You have to power through the feeling dumb until you get used to it and remember that its not your job to be normal.

Even just being semi-isolated like me it still does not feel good to be back in town. Don't be surprised if you get some weird feelings going back.

"When the going gets weird, the weird get going".
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 11:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 73,328 Times in 22,605 Posts

Not worried about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 12:07 AM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,341 Times in 3,393 Posts

The unlisted option of: i wear one when i "have" to. As in, when i'm in close proximity to others or in closed rooms with others where i don't want to infect others. Been doing that before Covid too though. Nothing to do with government mandates or stuff like that.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 12:14 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 17,128 Times in 5,256 Posts

Voted "haven't had to".

Bought masks/respirators in case this turned into something really killer but haven't used any yet. Would wear one if required to enter a business I needed something from.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 12:35 AM
Prepared

Wearing a mask doesn't protect you as fully as possible. It protects, to a degree, the people who either have to or want to be around you. The respiratory droplets that carry the virus are generally emitted by the nose or mouth. Wearing eye protection along with a mask and gloves can protect you since the virus can infect you via your eyes, nose and mouth.
Wouldn't matter to me if people wore a mask if there were a way of knowing if they were carriers and emitters. Unfortunately, since the US is run like a third world banana republic, testing and contact tracing isn't available, so the default safe position is to assume that everyone is infected. I don't think that wearing a mask, gloves, and eye protection is an imposition, considering that a long hospital stay can set me back $100,000. It's just a risk vs benefit decision. Thirty seconds to put on PPE, vs a hospital trying to take my home to cover medical bills. One of the main reasons people go bankrupt is that they can't pay medical bills. I wear a seatbelt when I drive, and a helmet when I ride my motorcycle.
Funny that the gooberment will fine you if you don't wear a seatbelt or helmet, but you not wearing a seatbelt or helmet isn't going to kill anyone else. Not wearing a mask can kill someone else, but gooberment just "advises" you to wear a mask. Of course, people don't have to manufacture their seatbelts and helmets.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to clingmansdome For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 02:29 AM
His Disciple

Thanked 9,353 Times in 3,659 Posts

My opinion, masks give a false sense of security.
I see so many people wearing masks wrong or half-assed.
And if they are wearing masks, they aren't wearing gloves??!!
If you wear a mask and not gloves at the store, do you wash/sanitize everything you buy when you get home? Oh, but of course the CDC now says you are least likely to get COVID from surfaces.
And what about the droplet thing and 6-feet social distancing...has anyone heard of something called "the wind"? Does everyone carry with them a kestrel wind meter?
If 6-feet is the standard, what happens if you are standing downwind from someone with a 10kt wind? Does that 6-feet now become 60 feet?
Sorry, I don't buy any of it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to esheldon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 02:48 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 12,418 Times in 3,969 Posts

I wear a mask in indoor retail spaces because I believe that those confined spaces are where I'm most likely to cross paths with the airborn coronavirus.

I think most people are being careful to not get the virus and then carry it to more people but not everyone on the street is capable of making rational choices. I was in a small chain grocery store the other day in the socially distanced checkout line and an older female customer who was wearing PPE tried to pay for her groceries with Asian currency. She spoke English perfectly and wasn't Asian so that doesn't offer an explanation. Crazy as a bed bug or off her meds I don't know but obviously not rational.

There's no way that you can trust people in public to be self aware or rational.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 03:28 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,893 Times in 4,183 Posts

Only when required by the business I am entering. Keeps my visit short cause I canít wait to get outside the door and take that damn thing off.
Iím in Massachusetts and the businesses here all require it.

I think itís pretty useless to wear.... it is just so everyone feels all warm and comfortable because they see you wearing a mask 😷. Then the useless wearing of gloves.... what purpose do they serve?
I have several boxes of latex gloves 🧤 .....only use them when doing some mechanic work. Like to keep my hands fairly clean.
Wearing gloves....pickup or touch something that has the virus 🦠 on it.... virus is now on glove.... touch another surface....virus is now on that surface. ... how is wearing a glove helping the person wearing it ?

And before everyone goes all bat**** crazy and starts to flame 🔥 me for being ill responsible. Yes I have had the virus. Yes I wore a mask 😷. No I donít wear gloves. Yes I have the antibodies.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 03:30 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

What just makes me laugh and shake my head is when I see people driving ALONE in their car......wearing a mask 😷.
Someone want to explain that idiocy
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 03:40 AM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 36,348 Times in 15,413 Posts

I haven't worn them when out and about. But now I have to wear them at work. I can't breathe thru them so I got a face shield and will start using that today when I go to work
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 03:49 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Got a flight to Orlando next week for work. Delta is requiring a mask on the flight.
I bought a box of cheap paper Chinese masks from Amazon ... there is no way I can sit on a flight with that cloth mask I have. Too hard to breath through
The following week...long flight to Portland....same thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 03:55 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 12,418 Times in 3,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
What just makes me laugh and shake my head is when I see people driving ALONE in their car......wearing a mask 😷.

When you have more than one stop to make around town and you don't want to keep taking the mask on and off, it's just best to leave it on until you're done with your errands.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 03:56 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,528 Times in 6,485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Thats simple. It's easier and safer to just leave it on rather than to take it on and off, touching it and your face each time you do. If you are say, going to four or five stores, its best practice to gear up before the first store, and stay that way until the last store and you can then come home and decon. Trying to decon after every store would get pretty tedious.

Gloves are equally easy to explain. It far easier to take off a pair of gloves than it it is to really thoroughly clean your hands. They also an excellent reminder not to touch your face, something most people do frequently and unconsciously. Most likely, you became infected through contact rather than direct inhalation.

I do agree that wearing a mask without gloves make little sense. In the hierarchy of PPE, gloves are the first and most effective line of defense.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 05:01 AM
Wildlife Proctologist

Thanked 6,439 Times in 1,618 Posts

Wore one the first time yesterday. Our church resumed services in person and they asked everyone to wear a mask.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beaner For This Useful Post: