My Survival Homestead Adventures with Pictures - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-02-2020, 04:29 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 2,047 Times in 393 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout Survivor View Post
Good advice regarding the wood stove/pellet stove issues.

Best guess is previous home owner was fairly old and not in the best physical shape which is why I think she sold the property. As far as I know there is zero restrictions on what I can use for pellet stove, fireplace, or wood stove. I partially picked this house because there was no home owners association or restrictive ordinances by the county.

I would like to get this pellet stove fixed if it is a cheap or stupid reason why it is not working since it is maybe 3 years old. I have an uncle that is coming out later on who uses a pellet stove for years. He said he could probably fix it. But he is tied up with his own stuff and taking care of all my grandmas errands so she stays at home. That is a pretty good excuse why he is to busy in my opinion so buying propane is the only choice right now.

The pellet stove only burns pellets from what the St Croix distributing website told me.

-----------------

I am getting a 1000 gallon propane tank to heat my warehouse (horse shed I am converting) for my business I will look into upgrading the house tank also. I am all in favor of buying in bulk and a head of time to save money.
Lol, you seriously made it all the way through that pellet stove brain dump I did? WELL I CAN'T HAVE THAT. TIME TO BURY YOU WITH MORE ARCANE PELLET STOVE TUTORIALS. THERE WILL BE A QUIZ. LOL.

Ok, seriously, hit up the pellet forum on Hearth.com. Seriously good, knowledgeable folks. They walked me through all sorts of stuff at the beginning of my learning curve, obviously. Also just a fun group as well. Lots of good humor about learning to heat with alternative sources.

First and most essential piece of equipment in any homesteading/remote adventure: A ROBUST SENSE OF HUMOR. You'll need it!

It is probably a simple issue that you can fix with a cleaning or a part swap.

For parts, gaskets, etc. I preferred Mountain View Hearth Products,
www.stove-parts-unlimited.com
Super nice people, excellent customer service, quick turn around on parts/shipping.

We never had to replace our igniter element but we did have to replace the circuit board that controlled the auger motor. Folks on hearth.com helped us figure out what was wrong and gave us a road map for swapping out the part. Easy peasy.

Replacing an igniter is not unheard of. They do wear out. Three years is a little early but it does happen.

I don't blame you for keeping both stoves plus the propane furnace, plus propane. As long as you know how to use and maintain each of these tools in its best and most efficient application, why not? Redundancy is the name of the game!

NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT THAT WOOD STOVE. Tell us about the wood stove!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSoul For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 05:00 PM
Target Shooter

@Eagle Scout Survivor:

This just occurred to me! (Sorry, I haven't thought about pellet stoves in a few years now.)

The ignition elements are on a timer, to keep them from burning out prematurely.

There should be a little hole in the lower rear wall of your burn pot, through which you will see the igniter element glowing, if it is still viable and working.

If you start up the stove and you can look through this little hole in your burn pot and see the element glowing, that's not your problem.

You say that the stove ran out of pellets, the bin was empty? Your auger may need to be 'primed,' i.e. it's going to take a few cycles to feed enough pellets into the auger such that it's sending enough pellets to the top of the chute, to fill your burn pot adequately, such that the igniter element has enough fuel to catch on fire.

If your auger is 'primed' and delivering enough pellets, and the pot overfills, and you don't see any smoke coming off of the pot, or, if the pot is empty-ish, and you don't see the glowing igniter element, then your igniter might be kaput.

If you see the igniter element glowing through the little hole in your burn pot, but the auger isn't turning, and there are no pellets dropping into the burn pot, then the circuit board that controls the auger motor could be kaput, or the auger motor is burned out. If the auger motor is burned out, you won't hear it cutting in and out at intervals. If the bin is empty, you'll see that the auger isn't turning at all.

If you see the little glowing igniter element through the hole in the burn pot, and you hear the auger motor cutting in and out, but the auger is squealing (might be subtle, might not be subtle) turn the stove off, empty the pellet bin, look at the auger. Could be a jammed auger. Use your ash vacuum, or a shop vac ON THIS END OF THE PELLET STOVE, WHERE THERE IS NO FLAME NOR EMBERS NOR SPARKS NOR FIRE to vacuum the soul out of the area around that exposed auger, to see if you can get that pellet dust out of there. You may have to poke a long screw driver carefully but insistently up the pellet chute to help clear the jam from that side.

Long story short- the igniter element has a timer on it. If it's working but there's not enough pellets in the pot to catch fire, the igniter element's timer will shut it down before it lights the too few pellets.

If the pellet stove bin ran empty, then the auger ran empty. Even with more pellets, it's going to take a few cycles to fill the auger back up, and thus start putting enough pellets into the pot consistently.

If you hear the auger motor running at intervals, if the auger is turning cleanly and without complaint, if pellets are dropping, if you can see the igniter element glowing through the hole in the burn pot-

you just need enough pellets in the pot to catch before the igniter element times out.

Try putting a handful of pellets in the pot manually then starting it back up again.

Sorry to be so late coming out with this problem shooting tree- I haven't thought about pellet stoves in a while.

Also, before you do any of this- it's a good time to clean your stove.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,962 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSoul View Post
Lol, you seriously made it all the way through that pellet stove brain dump I did? WELL I CAN'T HAVE THAT. TIME TO BURY YOU WITH MORE ARCANE PELLET STOVE TUTORIALS. THERE WILL BE A QUIZ. LOL.

Ok, seriously, hit up the pellet forum on Hearth.com. Seriously good, knowledgeable folks. They walked me through all sorts of stuff at the beginning of my learning curve, obviously. Also just a fun group as well. Lots of good humor about learning to heat with alternative sources.

First and most essential piece of equipment in any homesteading/remote adventure: A ROBUST SENSE OF HUMOR. You'll need it!

It is probably a simple issue that you can fix with a cleaning or a part swap.

For parts, gaskets, etc. I preferred Mountain View Hearth Products,
www.stove-parts-unlimited.com
Super nice people, excellent customer service, quick turn around on parts/shipping.

We never had to replace our igniter element but we did have to replace the circuit board that controlled the auger motor. Folks on hearth.com helped us figure out what was wrong and gave us a road map for swapping out the part. Easy peasy.

Replacing an igniter is not unheard of. They do wear out. Three years is a little early but it does happen.

I don't blame you for keeping both stoves plus the propane furnace, plus propane. As long as you know how to use and maintain each of these tools in its best and most efficient application, why not? Redundancy is the name of the game!

NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT THAT WOOD STOVE. Tell us about the wood stove!
Well since you have been so helpful. It is a woodstock soapstone wood stove and of course it has problems also. Off the bat I would say the damper broke on it (I think that is the correct term). There is a broken piece of concrete or stone inside the fireplace and the handle that adjust the flow of smoke to the chimney is all loose.

Also looks like I need to replace a few gaskets and the chimney pipe has a bit of rust on it so guess that needs to be painted.

I pulled the back plate off so you could see the broken piece.

YAY! Another broken item I have to fix. I will say though they had expensive taste when buying heating products. The wood stove and pellet stove where not the cheap options.

I spent my whole childhood helping my dad saw and split firewood to heat a 2,000 sq foot ranch so I am at least an expert cutter, splitter, and stacker of firewood. I think he used up the last of what I helped cut a year ago (almost 8 years since I helped). Funny that he now thinks he can only heat the house halfway with wood now that he is the only one cutting it.

I don't think I want to heat my house with just wood again. I don't have the time or the wood on my land to do it. But it would be nice to have as a backup.

Atleast my wife thinks the stove is very pretty and adds character to the room. She would prefer it to never work/be used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200502_164624.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	303044   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200502_164634.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	303046   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200502_164714.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	303048   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200502_165100.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	303050  

Last edited by Eagle Scout Survivor; 05-02-2020 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: More problems with the stove to add
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2020, 05:16 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSoul View Post
@Eagle Scout Survivor:

This just occurred to me! (Sorry, I haven't thought about pellet stoves in a few years now.)

The ignition elements are on a timer, to keep them from burning out prematurely.

There should be a little hole in the lower rear wall of your burn pot, through which you will see the igniter element glowing, if it is still viable and working.

If you start up the stove and you can look through this little hole in your burn pot and see the element glowing, that's not your problem.

You say that the stove ran out of pellets, the bin was empty? Your auger may need to be 'primed,' i.e. it's going to take a few cycles to feed enough pellets into the auger such that it's sending enough pellets to the top of the chute, to fill your burn pot adequately, such that the igniter element has enough fuel to catch on fire.

If your auger is 'primed' and delivering enough pellets, and the pot overfills, and you don't see any smoke coming off of the pot, or, if the pot is empty-ish, and you don't see the glowing igniter element, then your igniter might be kaput.

If you see the igniter element glowing through the little hole in your burn pot, but the auger isn't turning, and there are no pellets dropping into the burn pot, then the circuit board that controls the auger motor could be kaput, or the auger motor is burned out. If the auger motor is burned out, you won't hear it cutting in and out at intervals. If the bin is empty, you'll see that the auger isn't turning at all.

If you see the little glowing igniter element through the hole in the burn pot, and you hear the auger motor cutting in and out, but the auger is squealing (might be subtle, might not be subtle) turn the stove off, empty the pellet bin, look at the auger. Could be a jammed auger. Use your ash vacuum, or a shop vac ON THIS END OF THE PELLET STOVE, WHERE THERE IS NO FLAME NOR EMBERS NOR SPARKS NOR FIRE to vacuum the soul out of the area around that exposed auger, to see if you can get that pellet dust out of there. You may have to poke a long screw driver carefully but insistently up the pellet chute to help clear the jam from that side.

Long story short- the igniter element has a timer on it. If it's working but there's not enough pellets in the pot to catch fire, the igniter element's timer will shut it down before it lights the too few pellets.

If the pellet stove bin ran empty, then the auger ran empty. Even with more pellets, it's going to take a few cycles to fill the auger back up, and thus start putting enough pellets into the pot consistently.

If you hear the auger motor running at intervals, if the auger is turning cleanly and without complaint, if pellets are dropping, if you can see the igniter element glowing through the hole in the burn pot-

you just need enough pellets in the pot to catch before the igniter element times out.

Try putting a handful of pellets in the pot manually then starting it back up again.

Sorry to be so late coming out with this problem shooting tree- I haven't thought about pellet stoves in a while.

Also, before you do any of this- it's a good time to clean your stove.
Thanks pretty certain I narrowed the problem down to the igniter. Pellets drop just fine. The hopper overflows if I let it since none are burning. I see no red glow, smoke, or flame.

I did give the stove a really really deep cleaning. Never seems to end where there is a nook to gather more more ash. Wife claimed I looked like a chimney sweep when I was all done. She also was not happy I used her vacuum to clean the stove. I am just going to wait for my uncle to give me an in person teaching session on how to properly take care of the pellet stove. Way more complicated than the wood stove I used as a kid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 05:55 PM
Target Shooter

DUDE. DUDE.
THAT WOODSTOCK SOAPSTONE WOOD STOVE IS WORTH THE PURCHASE OF THE ENTIRE PROPERTY.

Color me jealous!

I'm so excited for you!

Woodstock was on our *very short list* of choices for this house.

It just so happened that as we were in the market for the wood stove for this house, Popular Mechanics sponsored a wood stove challenge on The Mall in Washington, D.C. It drew manufacturers, innovators, companies from all over the world. They constructed a series of big huge tents on the mall, with wood stove chimneys poking out of the top. It was open to the public. Several members and forum moderators from Hearth.com and industry reps were in attendance, as well as manufacturers who brought their stoves for demonstrations and display and to answer questions.

The crew from Woodstock was there. Super, super nice folks, totally approachable.

At that time we were considering the classic Woodstock soap stones, or the Ideal Steel- I *loved* their cooktops and the customizable options. We talked extensively with them at the wood stove challenge.

I'm telling you- super nice folks at Woodstock. Please get in touch with them with your pictures and your issues- they *will* help you. I've never heard one complaint about Woodstock's customer service- they stand solidly behind their products. There are many Woodstock owners on the Hearth.com forums as well.

We ended up going with another provider mostly because our homeowner's insurance mandated a professional installation. With Woodstock, IIRC, you can go pick up your stove or they can ship it, but you have to install it yourself or you have to hire a local contractor. Since we aren't certified we couldn't install it ourselves, and we didn't know of anyone out here who was available and with certifications who could install it.

We went with a Blaze King stove and paid a certified installer a travel fee for a 300 mile round trip to install the stove. For us, it was worth it. Blaze King and Woodstock were our top two choices. A certified Blaze King dealer and installer were available for a professional installation to satisfy our homeowner's insurance company. This worked for us.

Bonus round, we got professional advice and support for our installation. Using Blaze King's brand rear heat shields we were able to have a tighter installation than we anticipated, and we have confidence in it, because the dealer/installer is appropriately credentialed.

Our Blaze King Princess is Ugly Betty compared to the Woodstock Soapstones but she works fine with our decor, and it's a darned near idiot proof stove. I mean, I'm sure you could overfire it if you tried, but you'd have to try. It starts up like a dream and it burns so very efficiently on a low setting thanks to the CAT. And, she's a work horse. She heats this just under 2000 sq.ft. house like she's not even trying. I love, love, love it. There's just nothing like wood stove heat- nothing.

Getting your Woodstock up and running is an *excellent* opportunity to bring your wife up to speed on how this whole wood stove thing works, and the safety provisions built into a good stove and a good installation. Get her involved, listen to her concerns, build her confidence. <3

I too was in a house fire as a small child- completely unrelated to a wood burning appliance of any type- so I do understand.

But once she understands how it works, when to recognize when everything is OK vs. when there's a problem, she'll feel better about it.

Now, picture your wife, on Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve, curled up next to that gentle heat from the Woodstock wood stove with a glass of wine in her hand...

... OH YEAH DUDE WE GOTTA GET THAT WOODSTOCK UP AND RUNNING PROPERLY.

I guarantee you, she'll LOVE that wood stove! <3

Get in touch with Woodstock- they *will* help you! <3

WE ARE SO EXCITED FOR YOU!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSoul For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 06:14 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout Survivor View Post
Thanks pretty certain I narrowed the problem down to the igniter. Pellets drop just fine. The hopper overflows if I let it since none are burning. I see no red glow, smoke, or flame.

I did give the stove a really really deep cleaning. Never seems to end where there is a nook to gather more more ash. Wife claimed I looked like a chimney sweep when I was all done. She also was not happy I used her vacuum to clean the stove. I am just going to wait for my uncle to give me an in person teaching session on how to properly take care of the pellet stove. Way more complicated than the wood stove I used as a kid.
Ok, you need to buy your wife a new vacuum cleaner. Please do not refer to said vacuum cleaner as any sort of "present." I personally will find you and slap you if you give your wife a vacuum cleaner as a "present." LOL. (Take a wee bit of marital advice from a woman married for almost 40 years. <3)

Likely your wife will smell fly ash every time she vacuums from now on. LOL. YOU DO NOT WANT THIS. It'll be like a pebble in your wife's shoe- let me repeat this- A PEBBLE IN YOUR WIFE'S SHOE. YOU DO NOT WANT THIS.

A shop vac WITH A FILTER BAG is the minimum for cleaning A COLD PELLET STOVE- emphasis on COLD PELLET STOVE. COLD. COLD. AS STONE COLD AS MY STONE COLD HEART.

There are legion stories of people pushing the envelope with a "warm" pellet stove and ending up with a smoking shop vac, or a shop vac on fire. THIS WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR WIFE'S CONFIDENCE. Also, hella bad smell. Ugh. YOU DO NOT WANT THIS INDOORS, FOR SAFETY REASONS AND FOR AESTHETICS.

We bought a Power Smith ash vacuum on sale at Fleet Farm online so I did not have to shut our pellet stove down for *hours* every couple of days to clean it. I could get away with 'warm' (NOT HOT) with a bona fide ash vac.

Check around for Power Smith ash vacuums. We liked ours so much we bought one for our wood stove, although honestly, we use it mostly to vacuum up around the outside of the wood stove after we load it. At the end of the season, we vacuum out the wood stove's ice cold fire box just to get it good and clean for the next year. Buy a couple of fire resistant filters for it to keep on hand when you buy the ash vac.

It's all a learning curve. You are doing great. Keep on keeping on. <3
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OldSoul For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 09:16 PM
Survivor

Little progress on the actual homestead part of the new property but got a lot done.

Was able to fix the pellet stove. Turns out the igniter cracked and was no longer working. I picked up one from the local stove/fireplace shop for way to much but quick is sometimes worth paying more. Ran another 2 bags through it without issue. Hopefully that will be the last time we need till fall since this weeks weather is suppose to be in the 70s for a high.

Planted some tomatoes that would be used in my hanging garden but a frost came and killed them. Luckily the raspberries and apple trees seem to be ok. So I am out 8 dollars. I did see the frost warning and moved them inside the machine shed but it was not enough to protect them.

Made a trip to Menards so I have materials to knock out a handful of projects. Almost a 2 hour trip there and back so there went my Sunday. Bought 3 carts full of stuff and a trailer load of lumber. It took an hour waiting in line to even enter the lumber yard. Of course the minute I got home I realize I forgot the wire fencing for the chicken run. Guess I will pay a bit more and just get it from the local hardware store that is closer.

Did a lot of repairs on the farm house.
-Installed a 2nd bathroom (washtub and toilet)
-Replaced a bunch of ceiling fans and light fixtures
-Got a walk in closet built
-Built shelving in the older machine shed

Then I painted the inside of the house in town that I hope to have on the market next week. Market has been pretty hot and most houses reasonably priced sell in a few weeks. Could really use the money from the sale. I am down to my last couple thousand of project money. After that is gone I am back to just paying bills and slowly saving money for homestead projects.

Finally I knocked out Mothers Day. I got her a vacuum just like you told me @OldSoul ok I am not that dumb I got her a hammock as shown to go with my hammock chair that I hung the tree in the background.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	303644  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 09:32 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 14,460 Times in 6,224 Posts

+1 on Mountain View Hearth Products.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 09:56 AM
Survivor

Well plans for progress keep hitting road bumps. Renter called and told me the basement flooded yesterday afternoon. 3 hours later and 200 dollars for cleaning stuff and a sump pump I got the 4 inches of sewage out of the basement. Plumber came by this morning and said the grinder pump the town uses is bad so on the bright side the big repair bill is not my responsibility. Bad news is it will probably backup again before they replace the grinder. Luckily the basement was unfinished and did not damage anything to valuable.

Needed to relieve some stress/frustration but can't shoot on my property since the berm is not in place yet. So I decided to try ax throwing again. It is just as fun as I remember from the Boy Scouts.

I got plans for a throwing target from online which fell apart after 30 hits. Then switch over to an old fence post which worked much better but is a lot harder to hit since it is only 8 inches wide.

Was pretty good considering I was using 3 cheap 5 dollar hatchets made in China.

Finally figured out how to insert pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200514_092556.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	303708   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200514_092551.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	303712  

Last edited by Eagle Scout Survivor; 05-14-2020 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: spelling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 08:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,260 Times in 2,014 Posts

+10 for getting some trees in the ground already.

I started my rural project in late 90s. #1 piece of quick/cheap advice is to plant LOTS of trees year #1 (fall is a good time). Don't delay thinkin about best place. Plant a bunch in a small plot. Some will die anyhow. The seedlings you can easily dig/move for several years to just the right spot (she will tell you where this is). Later on if needed hire a tree spade.

No matter WHAT she tells/offers you, do NOT allow any dang willows in the ground within 1/2mi of your pond.

Live Christmas trees are coming back and right now a shortage (so in 10yr may again be a huge surplus/who knows). Profitable cash with minimal effort.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 01:48 PM
Survivor

Well finally got some work done on the homestead again this weekend. Had slow progress from injuring my wrist last weekend moving a gun safe out of my basement. My parents came over to check out the new property and give me a hand with some 2 plus people projects. Really need 3 people for 2 man projects. 2 to do the work and 1 to watch my daughter.

I finally got the chicken run framed out and the first row of wire attached to it. The run is 8x16 feet and roughly 6 feet high although the height varies do to the slight slope of the hill it sits on. Ran out of wire before we got halfway done. My wife did the grocery shopping and offered to pick up the wire but she missed the quantity needed.

My wife found a deal on a new in box chicken coop off facebook market for 100 dollars so she decided that was what we where going to use instead of building a coop from scratch. It is smaller than I wanted but it only took 45 minutes to assemble. By end of the week we will have the baby chicks.

Next to the chicken run I built a clothes line that will do 3 things. 1 drys clothes, hanging garden, and I will run wire between the post to support grapes/other plants. Each frame of the clothes line can hold 8 buckets. Less bending over and the plants suffer less from rot/bugs.

Each bucket is roughly 8 inches tall and 6 inches in diameter. I have a variety of tomatoes and peppers in the pots. The pots where not what I had in mind but the store no longer had what I used in the past. I am debating about using other container next year. Maybe reuse ice cream buckets or paint cans.

Garden between the clothes line post. Roughly 6'x20' which I will use the post of the clothes line for fence post to keep the chickens from pecking the plants. Also will keep the neighbors horse from getting at them. It came down to visit last week when it broke through the electric fence.

All 10 of the apple trees that I had shipped to my house and the 1 tree I transplant are budding and have good size leaves on them. Very happy about this since I had major doubts when I first opened the box anything would grow.

Behind my machine shed was a half blown over tree that was barley connected to the rest of the trunk. This was the main reason I wanted my dad's help (ok really I wanted access to a 2nd chainsaw I was afraid of getting my saw stuck in the trunk). I could see my daughter in a year trying to climb up the part that we removed. Picture shows the tree after we removed the damaged section. Hauled away 3 truck loads of good firewood. Probably another 2 beds worth. Really need the burn ban to be lifted in WI so I can clean up the brush.

The older machine shed had 2 snapped trusses and 1 truss that was cracked. We sandwiched the broken truss with 2x6 boards on each side and screwed them together.

Finally we assembled a kit swing set that I got from a friend. I tore it down over a year ago. Amazingly we still had all the pieces even after moving it twice. Was not easy to assemble without instructions or even pictures of what it originally looked like. We did decide to skip the monkey bars since the wood that supports one end was in bad shape and I did not trust it to hold up.

Don't have a picture but we also planted 90-100 baby pine trees for a windbreak and to someday block the neighbors house from view.

My wife and I keep going back and forth of what we want to do and to what scale we should be doing something. For example I wanted to get 6 55 gallon drums and fill them with gas when it was cheap. She did not want that much flammable stuff on the property so we ended up with 10 5 gallon gas cans. She is coming around to some ideas that I am shocked that she suggested. Yesterday she was talking about getting sheep to keep the 1-2 acre pasture mowed down. It will probably have to wait till next year. Since the pasture needs new fence and a shelter.

The old house we lived in town should be on the market within the week so hopefully it sells fast so I can buy a loader tractor. Would of been handy for so many projects.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 06:26 PM
Hiker

I do a bunch of my gardening in containers. I just head over to the local bakery and buy a bunch of five gallon frosting and jelly buckets. If you are in NE WI Uncle Mikes Bakery Is a good source.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jandlms For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 06:56 PM
Survivor

A house within a few minutes was foreclosed on by the bank and my neighbor got contracted to clean up all the junk around the place. He offered me first dibs on anything that was going to be tossed. Pretty sure he just wanted free labor and less dumpster fees but it is a win/win situation.

Got two plastic garden sheds. This was the bigger of the two. Dirty and a bit worn but still usable after knocking out a couple wasp nest.

Was a ton of random concrete blocks in the brush. I took about 80 of them. Used some to build a 7' diameter fire ring. I have some regular blocks that I also got that I was planning on using for planters base.

Dug up 25ish rail road ties. Not in great shape with rot and some badly cut for shape. Using some around the chicken run to help stop animals digging under the fence. Rest will be used for a small retaining wall on a hill that is a bit steep to mow.

Finally got a bunch of nice steel roofing. So I splurged and used it for the chicken run roof. 2 pieces where 16' long and there was enough shorter pieces to fill in the rest. I had to install a few more 2x4 boards to support it.

I have 10 baby chicks that are being delivered tomorrow so I just got the chicken run done in time.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 04:08 PM

Awesome work!

Might I suggest getting a couple goats instead of sheep. Goats will walk over perfectly good bermuda grass to eat a weed!

*Edited to say....I hate sheep.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheLemonadeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 04:14 PM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 6,303 Times in 2,396 Posts

Great scrounging! That's a good haul you got.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 09:28 PM
Survivor

Great news I listed my house in town for sale and I got an almost full offer so it is pending sold. Got a little over a month to get everything else moved. Not much left in the house besides the 55 gallon water barrels but the garage is packed full. By the way if you have or think about getting water barrels for storage make sure you have a way to drain them that is lower than the barrels such as a floor drain or the yard. Huge pain emptying them otherwise.

Once the check from selling the house clears I will be buying a small front end loader tractor plus some attachments. I am thinking brush hog, some sort of blade to plow with, and a disc/plow.

Got the concrete poured in my large machine shed. Looks so much better now. Just have to let it dry a bit more before I can start building and then move all the garage stuff into it. Can't wait to have my workshop put back together. It sucks doing a 10 minute project and wasting 20 minutes tracking down the tools and parts.

We had to remove about 4 inches of sand before pouring the concrete so I have a nice shooting berm. Behind the sandpile is 20 plus foot hill so about as safe as possible. Shot a couple hundred rounds of 22lr so far. Having a private range is as nice as I imagined. No complaints from the neighbors.

Got two truck and trailer loads of free old hay. Using some as bedding for the chickens and the rest is being used for compost in a raised garden bed that I will mix with some horse droppings that the former owner left behind.

The trailer has been the most used piece of equipment on the homestead so far. Just wish I bought a 10' long one instead of the 8'. Would of made a few loads easier to haul.

Finally all 10 baby chicks are doing well. Chicken run seems to be predator proof so far. Plus my dog seems to be a better mother to the chicks than her litter of puppies she had in the past. When I let her out of the house she runs back to the pen to check on them. She seems very interested in them but not in I want to eat them way.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 08:00 AM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 6,303 Times in 2,396 Posts

Congratulations on the sale! That's a big check mark. It will be great once you get your shop set back up so you can find stuff. Wasting time looking for things is really aggravating!
The Following User Says Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 07:48 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,580 Times in 838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
Awesome. I'm not a fan of pellet stoves - too much to go wrong with most of them.

Can you get the schematic's for the stove? Sniff test the circuit board and motors - look for burnt places on the board. Limit switches for temp control.
I'm with Charley on this one. Way to much to go wrong with pellet stoves.

I had one for one winter. It was loud, always breaking and a electric hog. I went back to a metal box you build a fire in the next year...a wood stove. A good quality wood stove can really make a dif in how people see them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 08:24 PM
Survivor

Hope everyone had a good 4th of July.

We planted a bunch of sunflowers that we will eventually use to supplement the chicken feed.

Garden is doing good. We have at least 20 small tomatoes that formed.

Progress has been slow on projects. Heavy rain every day or it is very hot and humid so can't work long.

Last week I finally got the materials delivered to finish my machine shed. 13 pallets of lumber or insulation was dropped off. Took a week longer that I wanted for it to be delivered but still quicker than the 30 trailer loads I would need to haul it myself.

My wife helped me frame the walls. Got it all the walls in the 60x40 shed except the garage door opening framed out in 10 hours. Felt like we where making quick progress.

Then I started hanging the ceiling joist and progress slowed to a snails crawl. I spent 8 hours and only have a sixth of it done. Just tedious with lots of moving the ladder. I considered scaffolding but none that was in my budget/available to borrow was big enough for my needs. So would still need to move it multiple times.

Did not have any spare money for fireworks so shot some guns instead. Pretty sure all my neighbors where thinking the same thoughts. Atleast now I know no one will complain about my target practice.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 10:43 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,191 Times in 10,558 Posts

Sorry I'm late, just noticed this thread.

I am also building a homestead. We are located in the Ozark area of Eastern Oklahoma. Built a new house and we installed a Hearthstone brand soapstone wood stove.

Since most of my property is heavily timbered, this lets me cut all my own fuel. Hope you can get your stove repaired. I have a wood stove dealer near me, who installed my Hearthstone, and is willing to do housecalls.

A compact tractor is an incredibly helpfull piece of equipment, but so is our Honda Rancher ATV. Dont know how I would get stuff done without them.

My best advise is to get started early. I wish I had moved to my ranch 30 yrs earlier.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post: