Will your shoes and legs be contaminated with CV from walking around? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-24-2020, 08:20 AM
Survivor

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 4,342 Times in 1,380 Posts
Default Will your shoes and legs be contaminated with CV from walking around?

Advertise Here

Per the BBC paraphrased from audio...

In the winter when you see smoke from your breathing that is tiny droplets of moisture from your body. It can contain the virus.

In humid weather the air is more saturated with water and breath moisture (with any virus in it) joins with existing moisture in the air, is heavier and drops to the ground quicker.

-----------------------

Now, when the virus hits the ground will your shoes and legs be contaminated just from walking around?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 09:31 AM

The best answer we have right now is, we don't know, but it's probably not a big concern. There really isn't good research yet on how long the virus can survive on every surface, how long it can survive in the air, or other information that would completely answer this question.

What we do know is:
  • The virus spreads really damn easily, that's part of the reason we're having this problem right now.
  • It's likely that the sun does help kill virus particles in the air
  • Even droplets still in the air probably aren't mostly hanging around your leg level
  • In general hair is not a good surface for virus particles, so if you have hairy legs you might be a little safer
  • The virus can't get into you through your legs or shoes, and probably won't last long on these surfaces. As long as you're regularly washing your hands, not touching your face, and avoiding breathing in any virus particles, anything on your legs or shoes is a really small worry.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gedrevn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 09:47 AM
The river flows

Thanked 1,511 Times in 595 Posts

As long as spitting in public is seen as a cool activity (as witnessed multiple times in the UK and Canada) by certain, typically urban individuals of all sizes and colours (who usually want to indicate their urban tribe out by wearing pants around their knees, oversized caps and oversized puffer jackets even in mild weather), the virus will spread by everybody's shoes when walking over the freshly spewed viral load. Don't even get me started on the amount of times I have seen Chinese elderly spitting at the floor whilst waiting for a flight in Vancouver or Toronto.

Spitting in public used to be a fine-carrying offence in most western countries (and is in several Asian countries, like Singapore and, I believe, Hong Kong), as we have known for centuries that spit is a good disease carrier. But it's as if, for some reason, we forgot that this is unsanitary behaviour and we don't care anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackriver For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2020, 11:44 AM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 2,180 Times in 542 Posts

>Will your shoes and legs be contaminated with CV from walking around?

It's not a bad idea to behave as if they will. We don't allow outside shoes inside the house for this reason.

If I leave the house, when I return I spray the shoe uppers and my lower pants leg around the shoe with disinfectant, and dip the shoe soles in liquid disinfectant. Then I bag my clothes for washing and leave the shoes outside to air dry. My housemate does the same. Of course I'm not talking about any expensive clothes, these are just an old pair of Brooks running shoes and jeans or yoga pants.

When we come back from walking the dogs we wash their feet in hot soapy water before they go into the house. Later on in the summer when it gets hot, the dogs will wear all-weather booties on their walks and we'll use the same disinfection procedure for their booties that we do for our shoes.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 12:26 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 60,345 Times in 13,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Per the BBC paraphrased from audio...

In the winter when you see smoke from your breathing that is tiny droplets of moisture from your body. It can contain the virus.

In humid weather the air is more saturated with water and breath moisture (with any virus in it) joins with existing moisture in the air, is heavier and drops to the ground quicker.

-----------------------

Now, when the virus hits the ground will your shoes and legs be contaminated just from walking around?
I'm not dissing the OP, but the BBC is spewing utter garbage.

You don't expel water droplets by breathing. Water vapor in the air doesn't drop to the ground. It contributes to what is called humidity.

Water vapor ISN'T droplets! When water vapor condenses into fog or clouds or your breath when it's cold outside, then it becomes droplets. Your breath instantly dissipates back into water vapor and disperses in the air. Do clouds drop to the ground? Maybe when it rains. Stay out of the rain, it might contain the kung flu.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:31 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 4,611 Times in 2,390 Posts

Floors of labs and hospitals have been implicated in the transfer of pathogens so possible but if your kicking your shoes off when you enter your home and washing your hands afterwards I would not worry about it.
Keep an area outside of common travel indoors to keep boots and jackets.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:45 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,753 Times in 13,988 Posts

Normally this time of year I would have switched to a skirt and sandals. Nope, still wearing jeans and boots and I don't plan to switch anytime soon.
We take off our shoes at the door but now that means the garage door. In another thread someone mentioned a disinfectant mat and we have one. Step on that, spray down the boots and rack them to dry. Every time ONE of us goes out, everything gets dropped in the mud room. The person that went out, drops the clothes and items purchased and the other one takes care off those and wiping down the car and doorknobs, while the first person gets in the shower.
We've got it down now, it takes very little time and I can't see us deviating from that SOP in the near future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 12:48 PM
What... me worry??

This alleged BBC quote is suspect right from the start... “ when you see smoke from your breathing“, is total BS. Smoke is the byproduct of unburnt carbon during combustion. More than enough other have explained the water vapor part.

I would discount the whole thing as “fake news”.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:13 PM
Golden Cockroach

When I go to a store lately, I just wear an old pair of Crocs (no socks). I wipe them (the Crocs) down with Clorox wipes before I get back in my car. I've been doing this for several weeks.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
You don't expel water droplets by breathing. Water vapor in the air doesn't drop to the ground. It contributes to what is called humidity.

Water vapor ISN'T droplets! When water vapor condenses into fog or clouds or your breath when it's cold outside, then it becomes droplets.
Just to clarify, using the word droplet is correct in this case, you do expel water droplets just by breathing as well when sneezing, coughing or talking.

These droplets are tiny combinations of water with things like shed cells, saliva, mucous, and any infectious agents that can be spread in bodily fluid, like the current coronavirus.

These aren't rain size drops like we might generally think of when talking about droplets, but they're still called droplets. The larger ones are about 5 nanometers which is about 1/15 the width of a human hair. These can hang in the air for about 6 feet. Smaller particles are still droplets or droplet nuclei which can be even smaller and hang in the air for much longer periods of time.

Keeping track of the science around breath droplets is pretty important in the healthcare setting because of how it affects disease transmission.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143281/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10168531
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gedrevn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 01:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,255 Times in 610 Posts

Watching on the Animal Channel 1 show called the Aquarium and the other called the Zoo A lot of times when the animal caretakers enter an animals enclosure they will step in a flat tray of liquid to disinfect their shoes before entering. How hard would it be to keep a cookie sheet at your door with some watered down bleach to step in before entering your home?
Back in the day when I would have to work in some old nasty apartments I would use a spray bottle with straight bleach to spray my work boots before getting in my work van- same concept.
The Following User Says Thank You to browningv308 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 02:37 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,753 Times in 13,988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by browningv308 View Post
Watching on the Animal Channel 1 show called the Aquarium and the other called the Zoo A lot of times when the animal caretakers enter an animals enclosure they will step in a flat tray of liquid to disinfect their shoes before entering. How hard would it be to keep a cookie sheet at your door with some watered down bleach to step in before entering your home?
Back in the day when I would have to work in some old nasty apartments I would use a spray bottle with straight bleach to spray my work boots before getting in my work van- same concept.
Good plan if you don't mind bleaching the carpet in your home or truck or cracking the leather on those $$ boots. We use SaniStride or Novlasan (both avail at feed stores and vet supplies) but liquid lysol would do the trick too.
Lord knows it would be like searching for a needle in a haystack but someone posted a thread bout this very subject this week. Maybe someone here has a link.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 03:15 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 60,345 Times in 13,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrevn View Post
Just to clarify, using the word droplet is correct in this case, you do expel water droplets just by breathing as well when sneezing, coughing or talking.

These droplets are tiny combinations of water with things like shed cells, saliva, mucous, and any infectious agents that can be spread in bodily fluid, like the current coronavirus.

These aren't rain size drops like we might generally think of when talking about droplets, but they're still called droplets. The larger ones are about 5 nanometers which is about 1/15 the width of a human hair. These can hang in the air for about 6 feet. Smaller particles are still droplets or droplet nuclei which can be even smaller and hang in the air for much longer periods of time.

Keeping track of the science around breath droplets is pretty important in the healthcare setting because of how it affects disease transmission.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143281/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10168531
And when walking outside in the fresh air, the slightest breeze will blow it all away within seconds.

And the UV spectrum of sunlight will kill what's left.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:00 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 6,465 Times in 1,485 Posts

Some weeks ago, I read how the virus can be easily picked up on your shoes and remain viable for days (I think five, need to Google it and don't have the time right now).

It makes sense to me because in some cases, the virus may NOT be just a matter of settled droplets or even fomites. It could be a case of a buggery sneeze hitting the ground inside a store or wherever. Even after it has dried to a nearly invisible layer of ick, my shoes can pick up a good-sized load of the virus after stepping in it. I figure that it would not be a huge stretch of the imagination to realize the virus can ride inside the crevices on the bottom of my shoes.

If I don't spray the bottom of my shoes before getting in my vehicle, it will also be on my floorboard...and in my house.

I keep a small, pocket-sized spray bottle of 70% alcohol handy when I leave the house. It is small enough to fit in a pocket or purse. I spray my hands, before handling my keys or opening the door, then spray the top and bottom of my shoes and lower third of my pants. When I leave my vehicle for the day, I spray down the floorboard and my vehicle seat, the steering wheel, etc. for extra insurance.

It only takes a mere few minutes of my time and I suspect this may be a habit worth getting into from here on out.

When I get home, I kick off my shoes before going in, and change into my "house shoes."

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following User Says Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 04:15 PM
Awesome

Thanked 25,847 Times in 8,453 Posts

Quote:
I'm not dissing the OP, but the BBC is spewing utter garbage.

Water vapor ISN'T droplets! When water vapor condenses into fog or clouds or your breath when it's cold outside, then it becomes droplets. Your breath instantly dissipates back into water vapor and disperses in the air. Do clouds drop to the ground? Maybe when it rains. Stay out of the rain, it might contain the kung flu.
Yup, and people who don't know **** about any of this will think they're getting advice from some kind of expert, and more fear and panic spreads amongst the flock.

BBC is fear mongering. Wake up people.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:17 PM
Target Shooter

I am pretty sure you can probably get it on your feet, but how often do you touch the bottom of your foot then rub your eyes or stick your fingers in your mouth? It is probably very low risk.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:27 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilychan View Post
I am pretty sure you can probably get it on your feet, but how often do you touch the bottom of your foot then rub your eyes or stick your fingers in your mouth? It is probably very low risk.

Apparently, you totally missed the principle behind the idea of limiting the spread of a deadly pathogen and keeping it out of your home or vehicle. Surely you must realize the nature of viruses, and how easily contamination occurs?

This is not the common cold coronavirus here, lol.

There's a reason health care workers around the world are dressed in full PPE (when they can get it) when dealing with this deadly and highly contagious virus. You know, those hazmat-style suits and shoe coverings? Lab workers are dressed similarly when handling pathogens. Certainly not because they might touch the bottom of their shoes and rub their eyes.

Of course, the general public is not going to wear that level of PPE, but a small amount due diligence can go a long way to avoid potential infection in our vehicles and homes.

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams

Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 04-25-2020 at 12:11 AM..
Old 04-24-2020, 11:47 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
Yup, and people who don't know **** about any of this will think they're getting advice from some kind of expert, and more fear and panic spreads amongst the flock.

BBC is fear mongering. Wake up people.
Not just BBC... https://www.google.com/search?q=coro...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Scientists are taking a hard look into the possibility that the virus is more easily spread than commonly thought.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00974-w

Until they reach a solid conclusion, or until a remedy is found, I (along with many on this board) will not live in fear but will take reasonable precautions not to expose ourselves to something that could ruin our day.

What is sad: more than a few nay-sayers are making the news. They are being taken out by the virus they claimed to be so hyped up. Here's hoping that the nay-sayers here don't end up the same way.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:06 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

*** MODERATORíS NOTICE ***

If you people want to refute something, try to back it up with a civil response. Drive-by troll posts like these will not be tolerated and have been deleted.

Quote:
I'll worry about stepping in dog crap, but somehow getting winnie the flu on my shoes or legs from the sidewalk? Don't make me laugh.

FUD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtx rudy View Post
Fearmongering
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81eagle View Post
LOL

Wow, the fear is strong with you.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:00 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
Apparently, you totally missed the principle behind the idea of limiting the spread of a deadly pathogen and keeping it out of your home or vehicle. Surely you must realize the nature of viruses, and how easily contamination occurs?

This is not the common cold coronavirus here, lol.

There's a reason health care workers around the world are dressed in full PPE (when they can get it) when dealing with this deadly and highly contagious virus. You know, those hazmat-style suits and shoe coverings? Lab workers are dressed similarly when handling pathogens. Certainly not because they might touch the bottom of their shoes and rub their eyes.

Of course, the general public is not going to wear that level of PPE, but a small amount due diligence can go a long way to avoid potential infection in our vehicles and homes.
I bet you none of those health cares workers are wearing all that stuff when just walking down the street outside though. That is a hospital environment, we are talking more about just people being out and about. I understand how easily contamination can occur, but realistically, how much of a virus is going to be on the ground outside in the first place? Then it has to survive on the bottom of your shoe until it transfers some where else, and some how ends up in your mouth or something.