Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-16-2020, 02:29 AM

Default Hospital recon

Advertise Here

I keep hearing about hospital crisiss and worker shortages. Decided to have a look. Went to 3 hospitals in north central ky today and they are ghost towns. Granted they are all in smaller towns but amid large populations. These 3 service about a half million people. Ers are empty, parking lots empty.

Whats the status in your area? First hand eyes on comments only please. The point of this thread is a legit status, good or bad, not to support whether covid is "real" or "fake" or a conspiracy.... just personal knowledge, not what your cosin or Myrtle down at the walmart said.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chronic the Hashhog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 02:48 AM
Not John Wick

Thanked 1,487 Times in 444 Posts

Same where I am. Normally the casualties is busy. It is like a ghost town.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pol For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 03:28 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,534 Times in 6,487 Posts

I would say 'dead' in Western Montana

But that could means something else in these times.

Empty. Wife just got furloughed at her job in one of the largest in this area. First time. Usually they are continuously overwhelmed in normal times.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2020, 03:45 AM

Thats the feedback im getting from freinds in Ok, Mass, Va beach, Texas also. Its strange. The furlough is weird also. Especially since uncle sugar picking up tabs everywhere but the local pot dealer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chronic the Hashhog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 07:29 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,670 Times in 1,178 Posts

My guess is less people are being hurt less, less sick, or just plain scared to go to the ER.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 07:43 AM
never tell me the odds

Thanked 1,684 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
My guess is less people are being hurt less, less sick, or just plain scared to go to the ER.
I work in very a busy ems system and this is absolutely true. I have responded to many incidents where people are straight out refusing transport to the hospital for any number of conditions. People are scared of catching the virus and would rather suffer at home than seek help. Our call numbers are actually down right now even with an increase is covid cases. The er's are busy with covid but not over run... but the trend here is they are slowly filling up with covid and nothing else as are our ems calls.

This may be the calm before the storm or we are seeing a positive result from social distancing... only time will tell.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:09 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,763 Times in 13,990 Posts

Why on earth would anyone want to go to a local rural ER? On the best days, all they will do for a trauma or person who needs a respirator or ICU is call in the chopper for your 60K ride into the city. Rural hosptials are useless for anything more than a broken leg, having a baby or dying.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 03:10 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Why on earth would anyone want to go to a local rural ER? On the best days, all they will do for a trauma or person who needs a respirator or ICU is call in the chopper for your 60K ride into the city. Rural hosptials are useless for anything more than a broken leg, having a baby or dying.
Someone I knew used to describe them as "Over grown first aid tents." Which is pretty accurate.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to phil74501 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 07:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,615 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule4 View Post
This may be the calm before the storm or we are seeing a positive result from social distancing... only time will tell.
I think it's both.

Less people hurt from traffic accidents and being stupid in general.
Also people do not go to see doctor as soon as something happens, since they are afraid of getting infected.

Last edited by KLF; 04-17-2020 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: do -> do not (duh)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 08:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,437 Times in 6,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
the two nearest rural hospitals to me have long term care facilities as part of the physical building ER doc sleeps at home and 10 minutes out. the ER nurse on overnights is working the LTC unless they get a call that they have incoming.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 08:44 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,596 Times in 9,861 Posts

Last week the ambulance came in 5 minutes (first time seizure) and he said the hospital was quiet (I wasn't allowed). Today we went to the big family practice and they were very quiet, only a few staff (he had to have labs).

The Starbucks nearby had a bustling drive through.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:25 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 62,978 Times in 21,443 Posts

Hospitals are more empty now.

Why? Second line medical staff is being sent home.

Basically they are building up a "junior varsity team" of the non primary medical staff. Dermatologists, podiatrists, and other medical trades where there are actual full doctors, but front line medicine isn't their usual gig. Send them home and keep them healthy in case the front line doctors start dropping like in Spain and Italy. When the front line line doctors get too sick or simply worn out they can call in the fresh JV team.

Note how lots of elective surgery is cancelled? If this turns real bad later you'll be seeing knee surgeons and boob doctors on the front lines trying to jam a tube down throats. All of these second line doctors have staff in normal times. You send one doctor home and 15 cars leave the parking lot. So a lot less normal medical staff is at work right now.

Pile on top of that people generally staying home, being careful, and staying extra clean, you have less call for sudden services.

That doesn't mean the staff that is on hand is watching soaps on the job all day. Every patient requires more prep time and the crews that are still on the job are busting butt.

A floor charge nurse or internal medicine doctor is working every hour they they can squeeze them for. Some don't even go home. They are camping in the spare patient rooms set aside for overflow capacity.

Just see this sign they don't look busy as an indicator they haven't been overwhelmed yet. This is a good thing. It would be a bummer if your life depended on the ER skills of a wart cutter.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 04:34 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Pile on top of that people generally staying home, being careful, and staying extra clean, you have less call for sudden services.
This has made a dramatic difference for me. As an EMT all my work is 'emergency' services...although what people consider an emergency is....variable...

But in the last month its been dead. No car wrecks, no house fires, no fights, no shootings, no suicides, no heart attacks, day after day of people managing to not hurt themselves where before they seemed bent on self destruction.

From the EMS viewpoint its like the human race suddenly got a lot smarter and healthier.

That 'economy' that some people treasure so much seems to come with a hell of a lot of death and suffering in normal times. I wouldn't be shocked if more lives are being saved by the lockdown for secondary reasons than our being lost to corona.

I actually noticed the same thing in 2008. When people are scared and unemployed it seems they have a lot less desire to screw themselves up.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 04:42 AM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,341 Times in 3,393 Posts

While it depends where you are, i'm pretty sure you won't see many people outside the hospital itself. Visitors aren't allowed, elective surgeries aren't being done. That cuts down on a lot of "busy".

That doesn't mean that they're calm inside the actual wards where you're not allowed, as anyone who ever worked in a hospital can tell you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 04:47 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
While it depends where you are, i'm pretty sure you won't see many people outside the hospital itself. Visitors aren't allowed, elective surgeries aren't being done. That cuts down on a lot of "busy".

That doesn't mean that they're calm inside the actual wards where you're not allowed, as anyone who ever worked in a hospital can tell you.
But thats just it, we ARE working in the hospitals.....and I will tell you at least the ones here, are almost empty. No corona patients here, and very few of any other kind either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 05:09 AM
Perspective provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
But thats just it, we ARE working in the hospitals.....and I will tell you at least the ones here, are almost empty. No corona patients here, and very few of any other kind either.
Was more in response to those who "go recon" to the hospital entrance, see the parking lot and decide this is all a hoax .

But as said, it'll depend where you are. Doubt it's like that around New York or New Jersey?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 05:18 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Was more in response to those who "go recon" to the hospital entrance, see the parking lot and decide this is all a hoax .

But as said, it'll depend where you are. Doubt it's like that around New York or New Jersey?
No doubt. My state is low population and locked down early. I think we will be spared most of this as long as we stay locked down long enough.

As should most places preppers choose to live. Corona is striking all the exact some places we talked about avoiding for years before it actually happened. High population density is just never going to be on your side.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 05:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,136 Times in 2,095 Posts

Had to go do my 6 month checkup on the pace maker/defib combo yesterday at a large clinic. First time I've ever parked on front row of the first level. Side note: gal there told me they could no longer wear "home made" cloth masks even with a filter in them. Somehow, I think that's a better option than just a regular surgical mask.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 05:38 AM
Perspective provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
No doubt. My state is low population and locked down early. I think we will be spared most of this as long as we stay locked down long enough.

As should most places preppers choose to live. Corona is striking all the exact some places we talked about avoiding for years before it actually happened. High population density is just never going to be on your side.
Ironically, locally, i notice that the stores are better stocked in the city. And it isn't that packed without most of the students/tourists. I can get whatever i want from the supermarket close by, where in the outskirts the supermarkets were pretty limited in their selection and had some supply issues.

Though cities over here can't be compared to a US city. Brussels is most populous, at 1,2 million or something like that. The entirety of Belgium is less people than just New York state. Hell, New York city has about 2 mil people less than Belgium in total.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 06:06 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 62,978 Times in 21,443 Posts

Quote:
Ironically, locally, i notice that the stores are better stocked in the city. And it isn't that packed without most of the students/tourists. I can get whatever i want from the supermarket close by, where in the outskirts the supermarkets were pretty limited in their selection and had some supply issues.

Though cities over here can't be compared to a US city. Brussels is most populous, at 1,2 million or something like that. The entirety of Belgium is less people than just New York state. Hell, New York city has about 2 mil people less than Belgium in total.
Yup. Toilet paper is back in the big city. So is bleach and some disinfectant sprays. Milk and eggs too. Still rationing but stock is back now.

Only things still on the missing list is alcohol and hand sanitizer.

I haven't been checking ammo though and I hear it is still short.

But the trucks are hitting the cities and with rationing stopping shelf clearing there are supplies to go around.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post: