Can one survive without smartphone in todays world as a civilian? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-16-2020, 10:47 AM
Survivor

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,362 Posts

Advertise Here

I don't have smartphone. I got a $85 a year non-smart TracFone from Walmart and seldom use it. I got a laptop. I can use the libraries internet in the parking lot for free. If I hit the lotto I will buy a smartphone.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthwayne View Post
Apple & Google are planning to use covid as an excuse to have 'built-in' tracing feature in their phones to track all humans and report to government. They are not even hiding anymore. using fear to control you and watch you every second.

Everything is done on a smartphone these days..calling cab, ordering food, paying someone, receiving text messages etc minus the actual voice calls.

If we had to completely reject these tech overlords from existing in our life and live without a smartphone, is it possible?

We could still use internet for banking, shopping, emails etc...but when it comes to 'mobile lifestyle', can one survive without a smartphone day-to-day life?

By "survive" i mean have the ability to live a normal life, be employed, have a family, have friends etc, but without the spying tool in your pocket.

I do it every day!
Old 04-16-2020, 12:27 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,341 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
I miss those phones. Had each model at one point in time in the early 90s. Really liked both. Especially the bag phone.
Wasn't that the early to mid-'80s as in 1989 Motorola came out with the Startac semi flip phone. I was working in a Mobile store early 90's and the first Digital came out in 93. Then all the phones tried to become smaller than a pencil not really but there was a craze for who had the best smallest phone.
https://www.androidauthority.com/mot...phones-980732/
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2020, 12:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,313 Times in 793 Posts

I'm thinking about going with one of these

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...vYc7OzC6QtIGji

It's STILL a smartphone, but at least you can leave all the surveillance crap off. Not counting the intrinsic traceability of any cell phone, obviously.

My 3 remaining grandparents require a lot of care that my parents aren't always able to provide, so I need to remain available. There's a few games I like, I like the camera functionality, and the ability to access the internet from anywhere is nice, but I could abandon that easily enough. I just can't be off the comms grid until I run out of old people, to put it morbidly.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:27 PM
Beware of the dog!

Thanked 2,310 Times in 887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseman View Post
I have a regular cell phone, not a smart phone. It can be tracked like any other so if I am going somewhere where I value my privacy, I shut it off.
Turning off a cell phone wont stop it from communicating with cell towers. I am not even sure if removing the battery will stop the communication, probably but not positive.

Get yourself several layers of heavy duty aluminum foil to wrap around your phone to cut off the signal when you want privacy.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:27 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 4,473 Times in 1,574 Posts

I've never owned a smart phone, so I'm going with yes.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:36 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,553 Times in 2,853 Posts

YES
yes
yes
y
Old 04-16-2020, 06:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,110 Times in 8,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by INresponse View Post
Turning off a cell phone wont stop it from communicating with cell towers. I am not even sure if removing the battery will stop the communication, probably but not positive.

Get yourself several layers of heavy duty aluminum foil to wrap around your phone to cut off the signal when you want privacy.
Do you have any proof whatsoever to back this up?
Old 04-16-2020, 10:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,402 Times in 2,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBob View Post
We had a party line when I was growing up. Still remember the different rings.

First cell phone I ever carried was a bag phone, provided by work.

Had an old Nokia analog phone that got cloned once. That was fun. When the bill came, I had made calls to Brazil and China!

Finally got my first smart phone about 5 years ago. And even though I am using it now to thumb-type this message, I could live without it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Got you beat. As a child we had a party line phone. When I got married moved to Canada as hubby was working for the Corp of Engineers USA dredging on Lake Erie. Rented a small house there and had a phone with a hand crank. Our ring was 3 long 2 short. They still had margarine that you had to mix. Small bead in it squash the bead and mix in the big plastic bag it came in. Those were the days. lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 11:08 PM
Freedom Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny View Post
Got you beat. As a child we had a party line phone. When I got married moved to Canada as hubby was working for the Corp of Engineers USA dredging on Lake Erie. Rented a small house there and had a phone with a hand crank. Our ring was 3 long 2 short. They still had margarine that you had to mix. Small bead in it squash the bead and mix in the big plastic bag it came in. Those were the days. lol
REALLY worth a listen: the Ridiculous History podcast from February 21, 2018 entitled:

How Farmers Built a Barbed Wire Phone Network.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2020, 06:44 AM
Rustler of jimmies

Quote:

Why even have one if you are going to goto those lengths to have "privacy"?
Old 04-17-2020, 07:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 37,110 Times in 8,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0diak314 View Post
Why even have one if you are going to goto those lengths to have "privacy"?
It's speculation on that person's part. That's all.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:15 PM

I only have a old Trac phone that you buy time cards for. I don't turn it on till I need to make a call. For internet I use free wifi on a garage sale purchased Kindle fire. I still use a transistor radio that picks up 3 country stations.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:21 AM
Target Shooter

They would be board to death following me around 😳
Old 04-18-2020, 09:49 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,831 Times in 4,154 Posts

Most smart phones these days....you can not remove the battery

If it worries you so much....don’t have a cell phone at all. Nothing. Not even a “burner” phone.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:31 PM
Storyteller

Thanked 5,376 Times in 1,099 Posts

Quote:
Apple & Google are planning to use covid as an excuse to have 'built-in' tracing feature in their phones to track all humans and report to government. They are not even hiding anymore. using fear to control you and watch you every second.

Everything is done on a smartphone these days..calling cab, ordering food, paying someone, receiving text messages etc minus the actual voice calls.

If we had to completely reject these tech overlords from existing in our life and live without a smartphone, is it possible?

We could still use internet for banking, shopping, emails etc...but when it comes to 'mobile lifestyle', can one survive without a smartphone day-to-day life?

By "survive" i mean have the ability to live a normal life, be employed, have a family, have friends etc, but without the spying tool in your pocket.

LOL
I barely use my flip-phone. Ain't nobody tracking me...
Old 04-21-2020, 01:12 AM
Beware of the dog!

Thanked 2,310 Times in 887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
Do you have any proof whatsoever to back this up?
It's been 10 years since I retired but I know that cell phones of known bad guys could be pinged by the cell phone provider to determine its location. Some times they could even determine the exact room inside the house. And yes, even if the phone was turned off. This was used on a very limited bases (back then) by the detective bureau to locate a dangerous person (murder suspect) or someone who was reported kidnapped. I recall at least one occasion where the kidnap victim was forced to turn the phone off, but they were still located by pinging the victims cell phone.

Sorry, my personal experience is 10 years old, but I doubt the technology went away.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:25 AM
Doin it Southern Style

Thanked 1,657 Times in 551 Posts

Dont have a smart phone and never have. Have phone at home that was landline until last August when I went with consumer cellular. It still sits in the charging cradle - answer machine thingy on the table. I did get a flip phone when joining consumer cellular but it stays in the saddle bag on the bike and has only been turned on maybe twice. Once to activate and once to see if it was still charged. It's for emergency use only.

My life is good and Im at peace with no smartphone and Im not being tracked. The only time I even think I might like one is when Im sitting somewhere like a doctors office and such having to kill time and I see everyone playing on one.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:50 AM
Combat marxism Now!

Thanked 23,192 Times in 5,838 Posts

Quote:
[can one] "survive" i mean have the ability to live a normal life, be employed, have a family, have friends etc, but without the spying tool in your pocket. ???
Absolutely. But don't forget we used land lines before cell. And 10 minute calls from your associates, to your home or business placed you at those locations.

When grandma died, I found phone bills from the 1950's-60's! There was interesting info there, and I certainly could tell when they were home and made long distance calls, including "long distance calls" to our home in the neighboring town!

Don't think for a minute that phone "data" is something new.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:52 PM
Nunquam Non Paratus

Thanked 3,379 Times in 1,149 Posts

Quote:
It's been 10 years since I retired but I know that cell phones of known bad guys could be pinged by the cell phone provider to determine its location. Some times they could even determine the exact room inside the house. And yes, even if the phone was turned off. This was used on a very limited bases (back then) by the detective bureau to locate a dangerous person (murder suspect) or someone who was reported kidnapped. I recall at least one occasion where the kidnap victim was forced to turn the phone off, but they were still located by pinging the victims cell phone.

Sorry, my personal experience is 10 years old, but I doubt the technology went away.
A turned off cell phone cannot be tracked as it does not ping any towers. I have been involved in cases where we are trying to get cell phone locations and have not been able to get a location for a week when the phone was turned off. And if it is being tracked by cell towers alone it is generally a much larger area then you describe, even going through the cell provider.