Increase pest problem - HELP PLEASE - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 04-13-2020, 03:10 AM

Advertise Here

Sad to say, but its probably only going to get worse. With what sounds like a food shortage on its way, they are going to be spreading out from their usual food supplies. And with the amount thrown away from typical stores, deli, fast food, there is probably a large population that's starting to starve and going to go looking. When I lived near farmland in the midwest I noticed that during harvest it would start, but after some time it would hit its peak. Like in a few weeks. But that was because they could find some fallen scraps in the fields. City rats can find food in trash, yards all over. It's the lower on the pecking order that is going out first because they cannot compete for what's left in their nesting area. Depending on what kind of dog you have, maybe a great rat hunter. But those do tend to be the ones that don't fend well against coyotes. Really with the mix of dog, chickens, that you want to preserve, vs rats, the coyote that you want to get rid of, your options are limited. You don't want to use poisons or kill traps, you could use humane traps for the rats, but it's almost like trying to drain a pool with a pint glass. And then natural deterrent that I know of for rats are not supper effective but will suck for your good animals as well. Best bet, I would say, either you need to build a special trap for the rats that won't chance your chickens and dog, or just tighten up the ship so there's nothing for them to find and hope they just keep moving on. But they can nest in your coup too so be careful!
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2020, 01:08 PM
High Concept

Thanked 7,417 Times in 2,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck007 View Post
With most restaurants here closed and people must be conserving food or at least no throwing away like they used to, I notice a lot more coyotes and even rats here. We never had rats before as we are about 3-4 miles from the closest restaurant or connivence store where they likely prefer due to high availability of food waste. But they are here where houses are on 3-5 acres and many have little garden. Coyotes are also on the rise too.

I have about 34 chickens that used to be free range but I had built a large chicken coupe last year to make egg collection easier. I donít worry too much about rats as I do have 4 dogs and the neighbors have a lot of dogs and cats. I do feed that cats sometime whenever I am out feeding my animals and I see them making noise, which might mean they want food. My dogs leave them alone. Even my geese ignore them. But I am very worry about coyotes hurting my dogs and geese and kill the innocent chicken.

Are there natural repellent against coyotes? I am technically inside the city limit so discharging firearm is illegal unless it is on a range permitted by the county after their inspection. And I wouldnít want a range here as the houses arenít that far apart the way the lots are divided up. A few folks have rat terriers and had talked about an organized rat extermination outing. But no one has an answer to coyote problem. For now, my dogs and chickens are inside but that seem inhuman to keep them from free movement, which was why I bought this big property in the first place.
Have you tried fencing?
Old 04-13-2020, 01:29 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rett View Post
Have you tried fencing?
I have a fence around my immediate one acre and that is fine. I am not going to fence 7 acres and barb wires or farm land fence wonít pass code as we are in subdivision and within city limit. The next subdivision down the road has houses all on 10-acre lots and their HOA is very restrictive. We donít have HOA but local rules also donít want subdivision turn into combat zones or junk yards either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2020, 01:35 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustael View Post
Sad to say, but its probably only going to get worse. With what sounds like a food shortage on its way, they are going to be spreading out from their usual food supplies. And with the amount thrown away from typical stores, deli, fast food, there is probably a large population that's starting to starve and going to go looking. When I lived near farmland in the midwest I noticed that during harvest it would start, but after some time it would hit its peak. Like in a few weeks. But that was because they could find some fallen scraps in the fields. City rats can find food in trash, yards all over. It's the lower on the pecking order that is going out first because they cannot compete for what's left in their nesting area. Depending on what kind of dog you have, maybe a great rat hunter. But those do tend to be the ones that don't fend well against coyotes. Really with the mix of dog, chickens, that you want to preserve, vs rats, the coyote that you want to get rid of, your options are limited. You don't want to use poisons or kill traps, you could use humane traps for the rats, but it's almost like trying to drain a pool with a pint glass. And then natural deterrent that I know of for rats are not supper effective but will suck for your good animals as well. Best bet, I would say, either you need to build a special trap for the rats that won't chance your chickens and dog, or just tighten up the ship so there's nothing for them to find and hope they just keep moving on. But they can nest in your coup too so be careful!

You are absolutely correct about it getting worse. The rat problem is terrible now. I see vole (field rats) holes all over my yards as well as on trail I hike. They come out around 2 a.m and stay away from any light source so they have massive tunnel system to avoid being above ground much. I poured some gas into several holes and lit it up, at least 8 came out and into a next group of holes.

I have very big guard dogs but I wouldn’t want them to get into fights without natural predators. My dogs will win any one on one against coyotes but I can’t guarantee that family pets can work together effectively if confronted by a pack of coyotes or wild predators. Most hunting dogs, which I don’t have, are only trained to go after one or two prey, using superior number for desired outcomes. Coyotes are just better fighters than most dogs and are smarter to only pick fights they can win.

Cheapest dilution is .22 or shotgun but no bueno here.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:43 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 81,730 Times in 23,728 Posts

.22 CB is supposed to be quiet as an air gun. or quieter.

The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2020, 01:47 PM
Target Shooter

No rule against crossbow in particular but ordinance says no weapon or instrument propelling projectiles so that cover everything. Current solution is pouring gas and lighting them up. The rat terrirer owners around here are smoking them out and let the dogs get them as that is the best way to not mess up the yards. We donít have fields but rather large yards and semi wood lots. Folks with smaller 2-3 acres are mostly on nice grassy area toward the front of the subdivision.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,556 Times in 783 Posts

We seldom see coyotes out here. Once and a while a Shi Tzu or something small gets attacked. Would a motion sensored light work? I know foxes and such get used to light that are on all the time but when I put in motion sensor (solar) light it seemed to cut back on chicken deaths.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:03 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 81,730 Times in 23,728 Posts

If you have mole or gopher tunnels, I would get that Rodenator and blow them all to kingdom come. Looks like great fun.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2020, 04:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,669 Times in 5,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Water View Post
If you are seeing rats, it is because there is a food source nearby. Rats will migrate to food, but will not stay where there is no food supply. Rats love eggs, especially rotten eggs, so make sure to not leave eggs out to attract them.

Rat terriers do an impressive job on rats, and they instinctively know what to do. If you have neighbors with rat terriers, maybe they would let you borrow one for a week every month.

Coyote visibility is typically due to an uptick in their population. You could place game cameras near your fenceline to monitor how close they are getting when you are not present.

Adding rag flags along the fenceline dabbed with some patently human scents, such as gear lube or Old Spice, may deter coyotes from crossing into your yard. I've seen this work with foxes.
Coons and possums...not so much. A decorative whirligig or two in the yard, for motion, may also help.
I had rabbits coming under my back fence and chewing on my pepper plants. The cure was taking a whiz against the fence 1x a week. No problems with that. Squirrels used to sample my cayenne peppers, chew part way through one and give up... hope they got baboon butt...

One garden center used to sell bobcat urine and those little cotton flags to put it on. I don't want to know how they got the animal to whiz in those bottles.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:25 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamfarticus View Post
I had rabbits coming under my back fence and chewing on my pepper plants. The cure was taking a whiz against the fence 1x a week. No problems with that. Squirrels used to sample my cayenne peppers, chew part way through one and give up... hope they got baboon butt...

One garden center used to sell bobcat urine and those little cotton flags to put it on. I don't want to know how they got the animal to whiz in those bottles.
Some far zoo oversea have collection center but the urine is processed and water down. In the US, such practice maybe considered unhuman. Back when I was stationed oversea, people with nice estate used to hire landscaping companies to prep their property exterior with large predators’ poop to scare of dogs and cats from coming in and mess up their nice yard. I can’t find that stuffs locally and I can’t trust online vendors for these purchases. And there may be unintended consequences of scaring your pets too.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,669 Times in 5,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck007 View Post
Some far zoo oversea have collection center but the urine is processed and water down. In the US, such practice maybe considered unhuman. Back when I was stationed oversea, people with nice estate used to hire landscaping companies to prep their property exterior with large predatorsí poop to scare of dogs and cats from coming in and mess up their nice yard. I canít find that stuffs locally and I canít trust online vendors for these purchases. And there may be unintended consequences of scaring your pets too.
If you have access to a game farm or zoo, they got lots of predator poop. I'm sure they would fill a spackle bucket up if you left them one.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:29 PM

Use a subsonic round.
The Following User Says Thank You to Braunschweige Bandit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweige Bandit View Post
Use a subsonic round.
Or CO2, nitrogen or industrial CO. Check with a local industrial gas supplier.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:35 AM
Beware of the dog!

Thanked 2,301 Times in 881 Posts

Maybe something like this on a larger scale?

The Following User Says Thank You to INresponse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 11:43 AM
Prepared

About 6 years ago, I did a homemade ballistics gel test on my son's pellet rifle. It was not the cheapest but not expensive as it came off the shelf at Wal mart. It came with a .177 and a .22 barrel.
This test was for a science experiment at school so we had decent controls in place.

I was extremely impressed with the power of that thing. The chronograph results mimicked what was on the box which was a big surprise and the gel gave me whatever proof I needed that this would be a viable weapon against something up to coyote size. I'm not saying it would drop one in it's tracks every time but it would cause serious enough injury to the animal.

Coyotes do get educated on where they can and can't find an easy meal. It doesn't take long for word to get out in the woods that a few never made it back from your place. I would even get a calling app for your phone and an external speaker to sucker a few in close. Call in and kill as many as you can then you don't have to wait for them to attack your property. The young ones are easy, the older ones are smart and will find an easier score unless things get real bad for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fatbastard For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 05:21 PM
This space for rent

Thanked 3,847 Times in 1,181 Posts

some large havahart traps for the yotes and victor snap traps loaded with peanut butter for everything else. Bait the Havahart traps with the dead rats or voles. Put the live yotes in the trap in a large plastic bag and connect it to the exhaust on your running car. Or drive them waaaaayyy out in the country and shoot them
Old 05-12-2020, 08:45 PM
Target Shooter

12 puppyís is a big pack , 5/6 in a pack is much more common here , I would just shoot them with a cb22 and see if you can drop one , they hit hard and all the Energy will be absorbed inside the animal .
One shot one kill .
I would not want to have the animal suffering .
Iíve shot lots of pests from inside my house 10 feet , it muffles the sound.
I think a regular 22 long rifle from inside would be better
It hard to tell where one shot comes from .
Iíve shot a lot of coyotes and they are Tough .
I use a shingle shot 22 / 250 and make good hits out at 200 yards .
A cb 22 may not kill them Kleen.
It hard to tell who is shooting even if the police come out .
I wonít live in city limits but we cant discharge a fire arm within 500 Ď of a dwelling in my area .
Old 05-14-2020, 03:27 PM
Midwest Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Water View Post
If you are seeing a dozen active coyotes that you can't shoot, you may want to talk to your local DNR folks to see if, perhaps, there is a special dispensation available for depredation to protect you livestock. It might also be beneficial to talk to animal control to see what they recommend.
very, very strange, at least here in the Midwest. coyotes are well known here and the population ebbs and flows, and while they can hunt in small family groups, here, at least, it is almost always a single or pair. they don't travel in packs and will only team hunt when they are going after larger prey.

maybe this differs in other parts of the country

are you sure you are not seeing feral dogs?
Old 06-16-2020, 02:46 PM
Prepared

I see most cities in the country are experiencing more wildlife due to people staying inside. Just one side effect of this. They say the vibrations in the earth have slowed down a huge amount, less ozone deterioration.
We need to get going again to open those holes, shake the heck out of earth and chase them critters back out....just kidding but we do need to get back to it and we're going to just have to accept a certain death rate among people who choose to go unprotected IMOA
Old 06-16-2020, 08:55 PM
What, me worry?

Thanked 1,098 Times in 333 Posts

I'm surprised nobody has suggested an electric cattle fence for the exterior of your 1 acre perimeter fence.

I bought one years ago. It plugs into a standard 110v AC outlet and delivers one helluva jolt. It fried a couple of unlucky squirrels.

The good part is, your animals will all be safe, and you can string multiple wires for a top and bottom or middle fence 'zone' in the height of your fence.

This should work well to dissuade the coyotes. It worked great to keep our "Houdini" escape artist, a black lab named Sam, in his fence, God rest his gentle soul. The city charged us $100 a pop every time they netted him. The 3rd time, they were about to euthanize him the same day they nabbed him, even though he was very docile, and they were supposed to give every dog 2 weeks before doing so, so that the owners had a chance to reclaim their pets.

That's when we decided to take drastic measures, and it worked like a charm.

As I recall, this cost around $50-$75 back in the mid 90's for the wire, metal & plastic insulator offsets that clip on to your fencing and the electrical unit.
Probably is a bit more now, like everything else.

This will allow you to concentrate on eliminating your rodent problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to M.O.A. For This Useful Post: