How do you prep for hyperinflation? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-09-2020, 11:25 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,621 Times in 784 Posts
Default How do you prep for hyperinflation?

Advertise Here

Since the government has started throwing around multi-trillion dollar bailouts, it is clear that hyperinflation will be the fate of the dollar. How do we prepare for it? I have thought about this before, and it is not an easy question to answer. You can eliminate a lot of debts, but what about taxes and mortgages? You have to have enough 'currency' to pay for things.

I have thought about long term food storage, but hyperinflation could be a process that drags on for years. You have to be able to grow a significant amount of your own food.

When everything starts to become unaffordable, like houses and cars already are starting to become, what do you need to have on hand?

I have tools, but you can only buy so much lumber and nails and screws before it becomes a storage problem, and you are still going to run out eventually.

How do we deal with hyperinflation?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to da_wanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 11:49 AM
Free Born

Thanked 4,795 Times in 1,287 Posts

Buy the things that will always be in demand and always have been that can be stored for cheap: large quantities of salt, sugar, canning jars, canning lids, seasonings, bulk beans, rice and wheat, bandages, bullets, rifles, gun oil, antiseptics, stills, chickes, ducks, rabbits, animal feed, garbage bags, rolls of plastic, bolts of durable fabric, sewing needles, fishing tackle and how to books. You can add these things incrementally and in small batches until you have a hefty supply. Then, if things get bad you have almost priceless items you can use of trade or personal use. If nothing happens? You're still sitting on a load of useable things you can regularly rotate out and save a lot of money over time and the security of having the basics to keep thriving on hand all the time.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to chaosofcreation For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 12:19 PM
Bug-In Prepper

Thanked 1,072 Times in 439 Posts

I've invested in skills, tools, property, stock market, in that order of priority, and it has served me pretty well.

If inflation gets bad, having marketable skills means being able to sell your services at the new inflated prices. Having skills and tools means being able to build and repair, rather than buy at the new inflated prices. Property has enduring inherent utilitarian value, and is also a financial investment whose market value will go up with the new inflated prices.

And the stock market, well, the long-term trend is up and to the right. Buy a little at a time and let it sit forever, or until you need it to put a down-payment on property. Just be sure to diversify across multiple industries.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ttkciar For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 12:23 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,828 Times in 9,443 Posts

Why would you pay off debts? They are devaluing. In time that $50,000 borrowed at low interest will be worth a lot less. Or the inflation might match the interest so it becomes an interest free loan.

I assume your salary will increase so you're paying yesterday's money/loan off with tomorrows money of which you presumably will have more.

For instance, let's say for the same of this example you have a 0% interest loan in 1960 that is $5000. That represented a typical 1 year salary and a hardship for someone in 1960. Let's say you could pay that off today with 2020 salary and dollars. It would be fairly easy for most people to repay $5000 in a few months or a year, or certainly less hardship than someone in 1960.

(Note this only works with very low interest loans; a high interest loan will still outpace inflation.)

Meanwhile, goods increase in value/cost.

Priced a new vehicle lately? My last brand new vehicle was $30,000 in 2004. Today that same new model is $50,000. That's all inflationary effect.

I'd use as much debt as possible to get things that will increase in value. Lock in low interest rates and buy up things that will hyper-inflate in costs. Land, house, vehicles, guns, ammunition, supplies, machinery and tools.

I'm thinking that as long as you have a secure salary, with interest rates as low as they are now and the almost certain hyper inflation coming our way, it may be a good time to borrow to the hilt to get goods at low interest or 0% interest like some auto makers are offering now.

Alternately, use cash liquidity to really leverage negotiation and purchasing power.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 12:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,965 Times in 1,367 Posts

Kind of true if you get super hyper inflation and can keep up with payments eventually you could pay off a large amount of debt by just trading a loaf of bread. Of course the bank could just call in your loan before hand and catch you at a bad time and you could lose the item the loan is covering.

Above idea is fairly risky. I would only do it on investments not on the house you live in.

A less risky approach would be have minimal cash on hand. Maybe 3 month of expenses. You could get foreign currencies but I am not sure that any others would be better of than the US dollar. Get some silver/gold. Buy anything that is a compact means of storing wealth. For example a nice used car takes up a whole car stall for 10k of wealth. Or you could buy 20 guns that takes up 3'x3'x5' of space for the same amount of money.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 01:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,925 Posts

Buy stuff now but not just random stuff, be smart.

while we canít anticipate everything .Gov will do expect laws that could affect what you own. Plan to live under a heavy hand, local, state and Federal.

I still like PMís, select firearms and mucho ammo, powered and hand tools the skills to use them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to petergunn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 01:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 47,397 Times in 13,842 Posts

There's a book called "The Alpha Strategy: The Ultimate Plan of financial Self-Defense"

In it, it recommends self-sufficiency, and stocking back durable, non-perishable supplies under the theory that the best defense against inflation is to buy now and hold forever.

Obviously this is easier in some ways than in others.

Some people will recommend things like gold or silver. I would recommend that only after everything else was already done, all durable goods already laid in store, near-self-sufficiency achieved, debts paid, and all repairs and medical procedures up to date. Gold and silver are a way to store surplus wealth, but the reality is that if something needs doing, it's best to go ahead and do it.

If things get so bad that only silver is money, I'd much prefer to already have all my tools and goods.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 01:46 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergunn View Post
Buy stuff now but not just random stuff, be smart.

while we canít anticipate everything .Gov will do expect laws that could affect what you own. Plan to live under a heavy hand, local, state and Federal.

I still like PMís, select firearms and mucho ammo, powered and hand tools the skills to use them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. The time to prepare for the Coronavirus crisis has already passed. To be ready for this event, people have needed to anticipate what they would have needed for a minimum of three months at home. Their plans should have included supplies, hardware, maintenance, and skills for getting through such a time frame with little to no assistance. Their plans needed to have included some provision for interruptions in energy, communications, and security as well as the expected categories in food, water, and medicines. All of this needed to have been acquired in the past when there was no unusual demand for them. An N95 mask bought six months or more ago did not deprive any Health Care Provider of necessary PPEs. And, finally, these things needed to have been bought and paid for before the Coronavirus ever showed up.

Latecomers to the prepping game ó You know, the other 95 to 97 percent of the country, the ones who refused to plan ahead, despite our urgent and sincere pleas ó Will say that this is a harsh prescription. The people outside the ark thought Noah was a self righteous, uppity preacher also. But who survived the flood. The people who DID the right things.

I hope Americans learn from the lessons COVID19 is teaching us. It has been said that Experience gives the test first and teaches the lesson later. If COVID19 kills only about 60,000 of us, we will have gotten off lightly. Letís learn from this bitter experience and be better prepared for next time at the individual, hospital, city/county, and state levels.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edprof For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 01:57 PM
Come and Take Them!

Thanked 7,658 Times in 2,216 Posts

Hyper inflation will most likely be accompanied by a complete collapse of the US dollar. Or perhaps the dollar will collapse first, becoming worthless, or nearly so. It would seem prudent to have at least some assets in gold and silver. Or, perhaps, the Chinese yuan??????
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alv7722 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 02:37 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv7722 View Post
Hyper inflation will most likely be accompanied by a complete collapse of the US dollar. Or perhaps the dollar will collapse first, becoming worthless, or nearly so. It would seem prudent to have at least some assets in gold and silver. Or, perhaps, the Chinese yuan??????
Hyperinflation almost by definition means the collapse of USD.

AFAIK, every hyperinflation in history has led directly to the replacement of the currency with some new currency, usually by a new currency from the same country's government, rarely by a basket of top-tier international currencies.

All you have to do to stop hyperinflation is stop printing money. It's so easy that it almost never happens anymore, except in third world countries that don't understand currency and economics.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 03:01 PM
Come and Take Them!

Thanked 7,658 Times in 2,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
Hyperinflation almost by definition means the collapse of USD.

AFAIK, every hyperinflation in history has led directly to the replacement of the currency with some new currency, usually by a new currency from the same country's government, rarely by a basket of top-tier international currencies.

All you have to do to stop hyperinflation is stop printing money. It's so easy that it almost never happens anymore, except in third world countries that don't understand currency and economics.
We just signed up to print another $6T and are looking to add at least another $2T to that. Though I don't know what the alternative would have been to try to save the economy, but it is scary times.

I doubt a new US currency would enjoy the current status as World's reserve currency, as the USD currently does.

I have long time thought $28T-$32T would be our maximum sustainable debt, and we are nearly there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alv7722 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 03:04 PM
Survivor

Here are some pictures of the table of contents and a few key pages from The Alpha Strategy

https://www.survivalistboards.com/al...p?albumid=7326

Sorry, the image uploader turned them all sideways. I'm not responsible for your chiropractor bills
Old 04-09-2020, 03:14 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,828 Times in 9,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv7722 View Post
We just signed up to print another $6T and are looking to add at least another $2T to that. Though I don't know what the alternative would have been to try to save the economy, but it is scary times.

I doubt a new US currency would enjoy the current status as World's reserve currency, as the USD currently does.

I have long time thought $28T-$32T would be our maximum sustainable debt, and we are nearly there.
I remember vividly during the early Obama years when it was thought by economists that $20 Trillion was the figurative "cliff."

As we approach $30 Trillion debt, these are scary times. I don't know how we continue to survive economically, and thrive! Markets are still going up and there's no economic explanation in my mind. We're borrowing and spending to prop it up and it's illogical.

One thought is that other economies are doing so badly that they are turning to the dollar which seems to be getting stronger?!?!

These are scary times...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 03:40 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
I remember vividly during the early Obama years when it was thought by economists that $20 Trillion was the figurative "cliff."

As we approach $30 Trillion debt, these are scary times. I don't know how we continue to survive economically, and thrive! Markets are still going up and there's no economic explanation in my mind. We're borrowing and spending to prop it up and it's illogical.

One thought is that other economies are doing so badly that they are turning to the dollar which seems to be getting stronger?!?!

These are scary times...
The markets are probably anticipating all that stimulus money that's going to be dumped. It will give them a big payday, and then they'll bail.

Where else are other countries going to go other than to the dollar? One fortunate thing, from America's standpoint, about our current situation is that every country is in the same boat. Every country's economy is tanking.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to phil74501 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 04:45 PM

Purchase land? Everything else is just a consumable item which either would not last long enough or will be...consumed.
The Following User Says Thank You to toktok For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 04:52 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 63,571 Times in 21,290 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_wanderer View Post
Since the government has started throwing around multi-trillion dollar bailouts, it is clear that hyperinflation will be the fate of the dollar. How do we prepare for it? I have thought about this before, and it is not an easy question to answer. You can eliminate a lot of debts, but what about taxes and mortgages? You have to have enough 'currency' to pay for things.

I have thought about long term food storage, but hyperinflation could be a process that drags on for years. You have to be able to grow a significant amount of your own food.

When everything starts to become unaffordable, like houses and cars already are starting to become, what do you need to have on hand?

I have tools, but you can only buy so much lumber and nails and screws before it becomes a storage problem, and you are still going to run out eventually.

How do we deal with hyperinflation?

1) Invest in tangible and usable goods.
2) Precious metals.
3) Trade items (soap, salt, toilet paper, cigarettes).
4) Start saving like crazy and stop spending on frivolous things.
5) In a huge house? Sell while you can and downsize to something smaller. We can live with less than we think we can.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 05:50 PM

Preps should be just more than food and TP. You should have a lot of the stuff you need to fix every day stuff on your property. The big thing I have learned is storage sucks unless you know what you have and where it is. This is useless with out some sort of list of what you have and where it is and I'm learning this now.

I have a good amount of money tied up in gold and silver. Yes the markets don't follow hyperinflation, but in the long run I feel it works out.

I have 4 sub divided properties (have there own tax number) that I can put on the market and sell. After something like this there is a good chance they would sell for a good price if i time it right.

I dropped between $180,000 and $200,000 into the stock market after the 2020 stock market crash. So far it looks like the wife & I made 2 bad picks, 12 OK picks, 14 great picks, and 8 OMG great picks.
The Following User Says Thank You to gravel_road For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 10:27 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 29,834 Times in 8,748 Posts

Land if you can afford it. They aren't making any more of it.

Precious metals, in denominations that can be traded for things needed. Junk US silver coin is one example.

Foods with long shelf life.

There actually is an official survival guide, but you have to write it yourself - and edit it as the situation changes - and revise it as you learn from your mistakes - and start all over again when things change again. (AceScanner)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 10:33 PM

I already own the book on that. Check out FerFAL's book: http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/

I kind of hope he see's this post as he can provide all kinds of info. His book had things I didn't even think of and I'm someone that likes to over-think everything.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:51 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 30,661 Times in 8,277 Posts

PM's

Tangible trade goods
Fertile land