Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-01-2020, 01:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,314 Times in 2,036 Posts
Default how are modern cars stolen?

Advertise Here

Local story,nurse at nearby hospital got off last night,brand new 2020 explorer,3 weeks old,just some broken glass in the empty parking spot.
I know they could pull the ignition,or drive a scrwdriver into it.Shaved keys.
Story was lacking details,but isn't everything electronic now.Didn't say where the keys were,but I assume in her locker.

I know my 2001 car(19 years old)can't be driven without the chipped key.I have a spare hidden on my car,it will unlock and start,but put in gear and it dies.No chip.

I guess there is electronic ways to defeat it,but ya gota be pretty smart to figure it out,I have no clue.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2020, 01:23 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,943 Times in 10,148 Posts

You know they can shut down a car remotely or un-lock the door. I have seen vids showing a car jack from a laptop, so I'd bet they can be hacked.

Maybe they just broke the window to release the emergency brake to make it easier to winch onto the wrecker.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 01:31 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,174 Times in 594 Posts

Car trailer... winch... some used oil.. and ~2 minutes.

Knew a guy that got busted doing this... didn't know where he was getting his money until after the fact. Apparently, would pull up.. dump a couple quarts of oil on the trailer and ramps.. hook up the 12k winch and drag it up and take off. In and out in a few minutes tops.

Faster if he could get it in neutral so it didn't drag which may be what happened in the case you mention.

Get em home and cut em up.

The guy I knew would do it in a single night and there wouldn't be anything traceable left come morning. He got caught when he took a semi and trailer one night... had it chopped up and most everything gone except 2 axles from the trailer were still in his shop. Police searched his shop because they had suspicion of what he was doing for a while.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr4btTahoe For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2020, 01:36 PM
Survivor

Guess I didn't think about towing it for parts,was thinking about joyriding..I'd make a horrible thief.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 01:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,669 Times in 5,634 Posts

Spare keys can be made by someone at the dealer, it takes a bit but they have the stuff to do it. Spare keys and fobs are $$ makers for them. Give the buyer a few weeks with the car and then boost it. There are more shady people working at dealers than you think.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 03:42 PM
prepared for life & death

Thanked 4,667 Times in 1,702 Posts

As a tech at a Chevy dealer I will say these guys must be very smart. It is becoming more difficult for us to add a key fob or program a new key. 1 single key add in the event of a lost key takes us close to a half an hour. Some of the newer stuff can take up to an hour. Before that the key has to be cut by code. On a 2017 and up you have to have 2 master keys to add a 3rd otherwise it become a programming event. I honestly think a lot of these thefts are just opportunities from careless drivers leaving keys laying around.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JL1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 05:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,604 Times in 2,150 Posts

Laptop or even cell phone. Sit in a parking lot with the right software. Someone is dumb enough to get out of their car in Walmart parking lot, close the door, and use the fob to lock it instead of using the door locks. It's yours.

Anything that sends a wireless signal is just there to make you feel good. Hospital is unusual, but unless you're in an employee parking only area, and have security checking badges that are checked on entry and exit wouldn't be anything risky.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:42 PM
Dog Lives Matter

Thanked 21,296 Times in 4,551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1 View Post
I honestly think a lot of these thefts are just opportunities from careless drivers leaving keys laying around.
It is amazing that quite a number of people think it's a good idea to keep a spare key under a mat or in a visor. I shake my head every time I see that.

Although towing is a possibility, it's probably just as likely that someone broke in and found a spare key.

I do not like or trust the fobs that so many new cars use.

I had a girlfriend in the 1960s whose dad had a 1964 Impala that was stolen numerous times. The car was never damaged and was always found a few days or weeks later parked somewhere in Chicago. It turned out that Chevy only made 6 or 7 different keys for that model, so if you had the full set of keys, you were never without a ride.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:43 PM
Combat marxism Now!

Thanked 23,012 Times in 5,789 Posts

Carjacking is another way.

I had 3 "vibrant" individuals chase me all over the place. They bumped me, then got out of the car thinking I'd get out too. I took off. They chased me from West Palm to Stuart, FL. I finally ditched them in a neighborhood.

They then carjacked a lady not far from where I was. The lady died and they were caught.
The Following User Says Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 07:10 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,288 Times in 2,808 Posts

IT IS NOT that difficult to steal a car, especially a used one on a commercial lot.

Show up, take the car for a test ride without salesman
get key cut,
return car

pick up car later
use it for your get away vehicle

return it to lot after caper
no one will ever catch it.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 07:17 PM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Thanked 4,130 Times in 2,174 Posts

If I needed a car in a hurry I would look for a newer car at the gas station or other location where the owner is nearby and simply jump in before the owner locks it with the key fob. All you have to do is press start and you are on your way. Don't shut it off or you won't restart it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2020, 07:25 PM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Thanked 4,130 Times in 2,174 Posts

I rented a Nissan Maxima for a short trip. I got where I was going but could not lock the trunk. I had stuff in there, and besides getting into the trunk, you can push the rear seat and you have the entire car. So I keep clicking the Fob, locking the locks, checking the trunk. Trunk won't lock. I dig the operators manual out from where it is buried in this new rental open it up look for a clue. Nothing.

Finally I Google it and find if you are within 30 feet of the car with the Fob the trunk stays unlocked.

Everywhere I had travelled that day I was within 30 feet if the car while I thought my stuff was secure in the trunk. My motel room was within 30 feet as well.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2020, 08:02 PM
In the woods

Brand new car? Broken Glass? I'll bet dollars to donuts she still had her valet key in the users guide booklet and the thief took an educated guess. I've sold cars in the past, and we outsourced our key cutting duties to another company. Mostly over liability.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Billy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 08:05 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 45,677 Times in 10,550 Posts

If you're fortunate enough to live down here in Texas

Truck theft is pretty popular, seems those that just happen to get caught are always heading to Mexico.....so we're not discussing any black/white issues here

One place where I worked just a few years ago, they stole the truck in broad daylight in the parking lot at work. They luckily found it in Corpus Christi

I don't know what they do on the inside but Ford trucks are really easy to get into. All you gotta do is stick a screwdriver in the lock, work it up and down and the cylinder pulls right out the door.

From what I understand is they go after pickups, namely Ford and use them to run illegals back and forth on ranch land

All I know is they can be gone in about 15 minutes
Old 04-02-2020, 09:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,142 Times in 777 Posts

Probably someone with a tow truck. A tow truck can lift the front or back wheels in 10 seconds, without even getting out of the vehicle, and be gone.

And ford didn’t put any sort of anti theft into the F250-350s till 08-2010ish. Very easy to steal. I’ve fixed many busted steering columns.

As far as any modern ford car or truck. I’ve got a buddy at the parts counter who could sell me a key based on vin if I asked him, and another buddy with the factory scan tool that could program any ford in 15 mins. Not saying I would, but very easily I could.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:47 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,575 Times in 13,936 Posts

Almost all the cars in my neighborhood are stolen while they are unlocked, running and unattended. Their owners went into a store "for just a min" or back in the house for a cup of coffee while its was warming up on a cold morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 10:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,130 Times in 1,970 Posts

I was thinking the answer is - go to dealership finance office and sign up for one of their moronic 72m (or MORE) factory financing schemes.

What kind of idiot does it take to sign up for a 96m loan on a depreciating "asset". What kind of bottom feeder would sell it?
Old 04-03-2020, 12:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,459 Times in 2,519 Posts

One way or another...if a thief wants your car...they are gonna take it. The only thing you can do is make it a little more of a pain for them to take it, but they are gonna take it!!!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:42 PM
Dog Lives Matter

Thanked 21,296 Times in 4,551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post
If you're fortunate enough to live down here in Texas

Truck theft is pretty popular, seems those that just happen to get caught are always heading to Mexico.....so we're not discussing any black/white issues here
Several years ago, my neighbor sold a car to a guy from Mexico. The sale was legit, but 6 months later the FBI was knocking on his door. The guy never transferred the title and the car was picked up in a drug bust.

A couple of years ago I sold an Explorer to a Mexican who bought the car with a large roll of $20 bills. He told me he could double his money if he sold the car in Mexico. I took him down to the DMV to make sure the title was transferred. Today, you can do all that online.

Even if you sell a car in a legitimate deal, make sure the title gets transferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamfarticus View Post
There are more shady people working at dealers than you think.
It wouldn't be more than I think. I know it's extraordinarily difficult to find an honest car dealer, especially with all the phony fees they try to tack onto a sale (advertising fees, delivery fees, add-ons, etc). I've never found a dealer who didn't do that.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:52 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
I was thinking the answer is - go to dealership finance office and sign up for one of their moronic 72m (or MORE) factory financing schemes.

What kind of idiot does it take to sign up for a 96m loan on a depreciating "asset". What kind of bottom feeder would sell it?
What the heck are you talking about?