Have new knife professionally sharpened or not? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 03-17-2020, 12:49 AM

Default Have new knife professionally sharpened or not?

Advertise Here

I received my Glock knife today. The blade is dull in an area and not extremely sharp in other areas. Should I have it professionally sharpened (I think about $5) or learn how to sharpen it myself?

I currently have nothing to sharpen it with, so I would need to buy a stone or something else to sharpen it.

It has the saw on the back. The miniature tips are pointy. I don't know if it should be sharpened as well.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to basketweave For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 12:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,898 Times in 5,704 Posts

I like those Glock knives, they are neat.

Time to pick up a skil that you can use for a lifetime, if you don't have someone who already does it.

You can also pick up a knock off for much less money and it may be good to learn how to sharpen a knife, using that.

one problem with some professional knife sharpeners is they do it commercially, they will remove TOO MUCH metal and they're not as worried about aesthetics as you may be.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepping View Post
I like those Glock knives, they are neat.

Time to pick up a skil that you can use for a lifetime, if you don't have someone who already does it.

You can also pick up a knock off for much less money and it may be good to learn how to sharpen a knife, using that.

one problem with some professional knife sharpeners is they do it commercially, they will remove TOO MUCH metal and they're not as worried about aesthetics as you may be.
I don't have someone that sharpens knives for me but there are a couple of places in town a person can go to and wait (I think) while they sharpen it.

I don't want anymore metal removed than absolutely necessary. I could quiz the shop and say this is a Glock knife that is spring steel with a different profile and that I want to keep the right profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2020, 03:37 AM
Prepared

As Preppy said, get a stone, a book, and a cheap knife then learn how. It's not difficult, with a little practice you'll be able to shave hair with an ax. (Seriously, as a teen I would hone a razor edge on my camp 3/4 ax just to prove I could.)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thequintessentialman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 05:53 AM

Or pay some bucks and get a Ken Onion Work Sharp and an extra set of belts. You can keep all of your knives sharp forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to GatorFL For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 07:27 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,987 Times in 10,163 Posts

Sharpening a knife is a required skill because if you use a knife it will get dull, if you abuse the knife it will get dull faster.

A two sided stone - course and fine. A ceramic rod or a steel. A old leather belt with some jeweler's rouge.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 09:25 AM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,353 Times in 4,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketweave View Post
I received my Glock knife today. The blade is dull in an area and not extremely sharp in other areas. Should I have it professionally sharpened (I think about $5) or learn how to sharpen it myself?

I currently have nothing to sharpen it with, so I would need to buy a stone or something else to sharpen it.

It has the saw on the back. The miniature tips are pointy. I don't know if it should be sharpened as well.
1) Get a whetstone, and do it yourself.
2) Get a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker, and do it yourself.

There's absolutely NO EXCUSE for not knowing how to sharpen a knife!

LEARN, FTW.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 05:20 PM

Go to A.G. Russel knives online and order one of their sharpening kits. It comes with a plastic case that opens to reveal a rod holder and two sets of sharpening rods, one pair is diamond for heavier metal removal and the other pair is ceramic for finer work. The rods fit into the holder at a preset angle for sharpening. So simple and effective to use. Also get one of their rubbery eraser blocks to clean the rods after each use as they get metal built up on them from the sharpening process. I know some members here will scream "how do you know the rods are at the correct angle for your knife?" All I can say is they have worked perfectly on my knives and our kitchen knives. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to 556308dawg For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 06:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,033 Times in 769 Posts

Do you plan to pay 5 dollars every time your knife needs sharpened?

I can sharpen on a stone but I don't enjoy it. So, I paid 40 bucks for a Lansky system 20 years ago. I'm still using it. I have sharpened hundreds of knives on it. Or at least sharpened knives hundreds of times to be more precise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 06:11 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,987 Times in 10,163 Posts

Go to your local hardware or sporting goods store and get something to sharpen your knife today. Watch some vids on you tube to see how.

Everything is shutting down or cutting back due to fake news hype.

Oh if you can't find anything else, the un-glazed ring on the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup/pot will work.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 07:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,908 Times in 1,584 Posts

Learn to sharpen for sure. The glock knife, as much as I love them, is probably a poor knife to learn how to sharpen knives on though...it may be a bit frustrating.

If you want to learn free hand sharpening I'd start with sandpaper...its far cheaper than a good stone (you need several stones), and you are basically able to find all levels of grit. (now good stones will last a long time if taken care of and thus be cheaper long run than sand paper, but for starting out sand paper will teach you how to free hand well...or show you, you want something easy like a sharpmaker)

You can use the paper on something flat like glass, or tile etc or use the pad method to go for a convex grind (a good grind for a field knife like the glock versions IMO)

options:
Spyderco sharpmaker is my favorite sharpener for 90% of my knives.

Ken onion work sharp thing has been a disappointment, but still has use for some things, so it stays out of the garbage for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Belnik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 07:11 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,434 Times in 677 Posts

When I got my first knife, my dad sharpened it on the sidewalk, before he gave it to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stoveman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 11:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,850 Times in 1,932 Posts

I am bit lazy now but I used to sharpen my knife every time I used it. kitchen knives I touch up on a rod sharpener before I use them.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:05 AM
Prepared

Lots of different ways to sharpen knives, and it's a fun skill to learn. My grandpa used "whet rocks," and my dad showed me the sandpaper method years ago because he did his own body work. Depending on the condition and quality of the knife, go all the way up to about 2500 grit and finish it off on a buffing wheel. Kind of like how I polish the aluminum on my bikes.
I never quite learned my grandpa's method for sharpening swing cycles and mower blades. Wish I'd paid more attention when I had the chance.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:13 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,358 Times in 938 Posts

Can’t use a dull knife. Learn to sharpen. Even if you have your knives sharpened you still need to know how.

Get some rods or a triangle system
Or at least the worksharp Manual pull through.

I have the ken onion worksharp. It’s great.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,898 Times in 5,704 Posts

I'm seriously amused that here we are in a prepper site, and rather than assume self reliance on learning how to sharpen one's knife, we have someone asking about having it professionally sharpened.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:12 AM
Prepared

you can use your car window to sharpen your knife or a piece of leather.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,381 Times in 1,337 Posts

if you learn how to sharpen it you can be the guy who charges $5.

a very old lesson for me: every male alive is an expert at sharpening knives, riding horses and motorcycles, shooting pool. the guy you want to ask is not the guy who says he knows. the guy you want to ask is the guy who learned a skill as a stepping stone to another skill. butchers and woodcarvers learned knife sharpening on their way to a greater skill. they know WTF.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explainist View Post
if you learn how to sharpen it you can be the guy who charges $5.

a very old lesson for me: every male alive is an expert at sharpening knives, riding horses and motorcycles, shooting pool. the guy you want to ask is not the guy who says he knows. the guy you want to ask is the guy who learned a skill as a stepping stone to another skill. butchers and woodcarvers learned knife sharpening on their way to a greater skill. they know WTF.

Will become good at sharpening knives after I learn and practice some. I'll first practice on some cheap knife I have...Never rode a horse...Am a good motorcycle rider...Good at shooting pool for my level of experience.

What's WTF?
Old 03-18-2020, 10:42 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,353 Times in 4,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketweave View Post
Will become good at sharpening knives after I learn and practice some. I'll first practice on some cheap knife I have...Never rode a horse...Am a good motorcycle rider...Good at shooting pool for my level of experience.

What's WTF?
Not a good idea. Get at least a halfway decent knife, and learn on that. Different steels, different quality of knives, all sharpen differently.

I recommend the Moraknives. 1, because the cost is VERY reasonable, 2, despite low price, VERY good knives.

I recommend getting a carbon steel, and stainless both. Cheap way to learn characteristics of each type of metallurgy.

Learn to patina the Carbon steel knife. Good skill to have. I'll try and upload a pic of the gorgeous patina on my 7.5" CS Mora Bushcraft knife.

I have several Moraknives, one stainless, several in CS. I'm experimenting with different things. I have one brand new CS Mora, I'm leaving outside to rust. I'll then, clean it up, and patina it just to see what the end result is.