vanquest markhor 45 vs mystery ranch pintler - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-29-2020, 10:58 AM

Default vanquest markhor 45 vs mystery ranch pintler

Advertise Here

Which to bug out in?
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2020, 11:23 AM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,042 Posts

Interpreter????
Old 02-29-2020, 02:26 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,497 Times in 540 Posts

HUH ???????????????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2020, 03:00 PM

Translation: which bug out backpack does anyone prefer? Has anyone had experience with either of these bags and or brands?
Old 03-01-2020, 09:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,268 Times in 4,588 Posts

I’ve got backpack experience from the old-school, external frame Coleman backpacks from the early 80’s, on up to military packs from the venerable ALICE to the some of the newer ILBE rucks; add in the higher end packs from Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Arc’Teryx, Lowe-Alpine (military prototypes), Eberlestock, a plethora of commercial backpacking packs and much newer (cottage industry, not mass produced Osprey or Gregory packs) light-weight backpacking and hunting packs.

I’ve never owned a Vanquest pack, but have some of their pouches and kit; they do have quality-built stuff. I do have a few MR packs and can attest to their robustness and performance in a combat environment. Yes, I've deployed to combat with a few different packs and yes, I'm an avid distance backpacker. That’s just to give you a baseline of my perspective and experiences with packs.

First and foremost, what’s your bugout plan? Don’t just buy a pack and kit without a plan. It’s okay if your plan is just to have a week or two of stuff in a pack to throw in your vehicle. However, if you have a backup plan where you actually plan to travel on foot a significant distance to a bugout location, you may want to do a little more research.

I love the MR 3-Day Assault Pack, it’s my primary “patrolling” pack or 72-hour pack. The tri-zip design is nice for some situations and the zippers have held up to almost two years of daily ripping the pack top open. Their “hip belt” for that model leaves a lot to be desired, but considering I was also wearing body armor and a battle belt, I folded them away and didn’t use them. I also never hiked a 50-60 miles with this type of pack. Pack weight was anywhere from 15-35 pounds depending on what I was doing and how far/long I was traveling.

Two things I caution everybody on once they define their requirements, plan, and pack needs: “Volume-Capacity” isn’t the same as “Weight-Capacity”. A lot of packs will mention volume, but they don’t specify what their frame and suspension weight capacity is rated for (if they don't shoot them an email and ask what their recommended "comfort range" is and what the top end the frame/suspension is rated for). While I do like to keep my pack weight as minimal as possible but still meet the mission, I wouldn’t want a 45-50 liter pack that is not rated to carry more than 30 pounds (that rating is for pack comfort and frame suspension limitations). It's simply too much volume and if the pack doesn't compress well, it will flop around badly. Also look at the pack’s weight for what weight you’re going to carry. The Vanquest pack is heavy, 6 pounds; and the Mystery Ranch pack is 5.4 pounds. That’s pretty heavy for the size and capacity of the packs. Just understand those weights are added to that “weight-capacity” limit. On a higher end, I ended up getting a couple of Seek Outside packs, and while the largest (4800 Unaweep) has a base capacity of almost 70 liters, the pack only weighs 3.6 pounds. What’s important is that the hybrid, external frame is capable of hauling over 100 pounds and the newer material is extremely abrasion resistance, weighing a fraction of what 1000-Cordura weighs. My smaller Seek Outside Gila 3500 “lightweight” pack weighs under 3 pounds, and has a 60-liter capacity and I started with 42 pounds on a 106-mile AT hike (with no resupply).

The second caution or recommendation is pack fitment. I always recommend those new to actually carry a pack for more than a few miles every other weekend, to actually get to an outfitter store and get a pack fitted properly so you know your frame height, lumbar fit, how a hip belt is supposed to sit, etc. At least you’ll know how a pack is “supposed” to feel and you can adjust from there.

Most of these types of packs are over-built, which is why they weigh so much. I have some ultra-light weight packs (ULA Circuit, 68 liter/35-pound limit, 2.6 pounds) that have held up well on the trail, but I wouldn’t take them to Afghanistan. However, don’t think that a heavy, over-built pack is necessary for SHTF as your plan and experience will dictate how it will likely be used and what it will be exposed to. Balance is key. I just prefer to spend a little more on a robust pack that can still save me 2.5-3.5 pounds, which can equate another 2-3 days-worth of food, but then I've turned into a bit of a pack-weight Nazi and weigh every item in may pack and track it on a spreadsheet

Of the two, I would likely choose the Mystery Ranch, just based on my personal experience, but given the size and weight, it’s really a short-range pack and should be matched to your bugout plan. I could likely equip and load a pack up that size to make it to about 4-6 days as a 2-3-season pack.

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2020, 12:58 PM
Museum Piece

Alice pack medium, cheap, framed and battle proven. Unless you are an operator
Old 03-01-2020, 03:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 25,095 Times in 7,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Wire View Post
Or a human, and/or not a masochist.

Seriously. Even the military figured out that the Alice packs arenít that good, why do so many people not understand that?

There are about 753 better packs out there. Many are battle proven. No reason on this planet to subject your back to a freaking Alice system.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:40 PM

Never heard of seek outdoor. I’ll definitely take a look into them. Would you say they are as robust as a mystery ranch?
Old 03-01-2020, 06:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,268 Times in 4,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHandsome View Post
Never heard of seek outdoor. Iíll definitely take a look into them. Would you say they are as robust as a mystery ranch?
Seek Outside

From my experience, yes. Some of the higher end, serious hunting packs like Seek Outside are abused and exposed to the elements and harsh use like the heavier built military packs. Their materials are on the newer side, hence a little more expensive, but similarly built for hard use.

ROCK6
Old 03-01-2020, 07:28 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 4,465 Times in 1,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Wire View Post
The medium alice pack can be used with or without the frame. If you are going to use the frame anyway, I'd go with the large. It has a few extra external pockets & attachment points vs the medium. Also you don't HAVE to fill it with any more stuff than the medium, but you do have the option. If you don't want the frame, then the medium might be a better choice.