Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 12-27-2019, 02:32 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Buddy said his little liberty with 115k on it booked about $4k.
My wife bought her (former) 2005 Liberty new, and it was well-maintained. At only 113K miles, it lost compression in 2 cylinders with a repair cost of $4000+ at the stealership. We traded it in at that point. The gas engines are notorious for issues, which included a mayonnaise-consistency goo in the valve cover (moisture mixed with the oil, etc.).

Based on your needs, I don't think that the Liberty would be viable (despite you liking your buddy's). The ride is decent for what it is, but the short wheelbase is going to make it rougher than what you probably need, IMHO.

Craig
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2019, 05:34 PM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 19,561 Times in 5,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post
My wife bought her (former) 2005 Liberty new, and it was well-maintained. At only 113K miles, it lost compression in 2 cylinders with a repair cost of $4000+ at the stealership. We traded it in at that point. The gas engines are notorious for issues, which included a mayonnaise-consistency goo in the valve cover (moisture mixed with the oil, etc.).

Based on your needs, I don't think that the Liberty would be viable (despite you liking your buddy's). The ride is decent for what it is, but the short wheelbase is going to make it rougher than what you probably need, IMHO.

Craig
By best friends daughter was almost was burned alive in a heep Liberty last year. She was driving down the road and the engine caught on fire and it was only 1yr old, she bought it new, it was nothing but a pile of metal, the tires completely burned off of it and the inside was completely gone by the time the fire dept put it out. Insurance paid it off, she has something completely different now, she will never by another heep.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:54 PM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,970 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov47 View Post
By best friends daughter was almost was burned alive in a heep Liberty last year. She was driving down the road and the engine caught on fire and it was only 1yr old, she bought it new, it was nothing but a pile of metal, the tires completely burned off of it and the inside was completely gone by the time the fire dept put it out. Insurance paid it off, she has something completely different now, she will never by another heep.
If this happened last year to a one year old vehicle it wasn't a Liberty. They stopped making them in 2012.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2019, 06:55 PM
S.O.S.

08-09ish Pilot. It checks all the boxes you described.....

Liberty's ride like a rickshaw, which is to say, only slightly better than the XJ it replaced. Plus, to put it lightly, the 3.7 isn't exactly one of Mopar's better engines in recent times.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T.$.Racing For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 07:00 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 62,842 Times in 21,420 Posts

Maybe a used Quigley? Nice big suspension to deal with ruts and dips.

They sell them on Ebay a lot cheaper than any new vehicle.

Or if you can find a used creampuff van of any flavor they can convert to 4X4 for 15K.

Ebay examples: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_odkw=quigley

Quigley: http://www.quigley4x4.com/

These are sold heavily to rural delivery outfits. Given all your trading and DIY this may be a great choice.

Best of all is that with a suspension that big they can tune it to help with your ride comfort needs.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 10:07 PM
Unemployed Philosopher

Toyota Rav4.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Nietzsche For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 01:43 AM
Terra Nullius

Default 2003 Tahoe

My 2003 Tahoe has 120,000 miles, just went cross country and back with no problems. 14 mpg and just the right size to see on the sides and behind in traffic.

It's much easier to maneuver than my 2018 Silverado HD, and much better ride.

I have towed a 16ft cargo trailer that weighed over 7,000 pounds with it. You don't want to do it with side winds, and not over 55 to 60 mph - the trailer is too long for the size of the vehicle. State routes at 55, and it was fine.

CSM101
Old 12-28-2019, 03:49 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 19,561 Times in 5,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
If this happened last year to a one year old vehicle it wasn't a Liberty. They stopped making them in 2012.
It was a small heep SUV so it was possibly a renegade I know she bought it brand new
Old 12-28-2019, 04:14 AM

A Honda Pilot is a very good vehicle. Rides very comfortably, very roomy & maneuverable around town, great travel vehicle. Tows well, I had a 3500# rated trailer and it did superb with it. My 2013 gave me 4 years & 50,000 miles of entirely trouble free service. Moved my brothers 2 kids in and out of college, beds & all multiple times, with the rear seat folded the load area is about 4’ x 6’ + a little. Mpg 24-25 on a trip around 20 or so around town. That being said, I wanted a true 4x4 truck so I traded it for a Tacoma double cab long bed that I love but I do miss the roominess of the Pilot.

As far as the Ranger, you couldn’t give me one. My brother had one and it about made my teeth rattle to ride in it.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:41 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,703 Times in 9,419 Posts

4runner. Hands down. No contest.

Reliable. Powerful. Comfortable. Affordable. Good mpg. Good towing. Good off road. Great in winter. Comfortable for long drives. Easy to maintain. High quality.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:49 AM
Deo Vindice

Thanked 35,300 Times in 9,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I'm on..... Less of a budget, more of a schedule for the next 5 or so years.
After that I'll have much more unallocated income.

Plan was to drive this little truck for 8, and then make it be my little "farm beater"

Buddy said his little liberty with 115k on it booked about $4k. If I'm not doing a truck I don't see a reason to spend more than the Ranger cost. (Next daily driver vehicle will probably be a 4 door large truck)
-but again, I'm fine looking at more expensive and finding a deal.

I'll look into getting the Ranger resprung, but I doubt it'll help the ride that much.
You might should look into aftermarket seats. Make the ranger bearable for about $1k. If you don't care if your seats match, half that cost.

http://scheel-mann.com

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/recaro/comfort

https://procarbyscat.com
The Following User Says Thank You to dudeman351 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 06:34 AM
Prepared

I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.7 HEMI V-8. And I can honestly say it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I purchased it with the unlimited time and mileage Chrysler Max Care Lifetime Warranty.

Although the last time it saw a dealership is when we drove it home after we purchased it almost 5 years ago. It has run flawlessly thus far. I too was considering the Eco Diesel, but passed. The reason was you could not get the lifetime unlimited time and mileage warranty with them. The farthest out they would carry a warranty was only 7 years.

Part of the reason you go diesel is for the ruggedness and longevity of the engine. And 7 years isn't anywhere near long enough. And it is basically financial suicide to own a diesel beyond it's warranty. They cost a fortune to repair. And there have been a lot of issues with the Eco Diesel, so we passed, and went with the HEMI instead.

We plan to keep this vehicle for many, many years to come. So the peace of mind an unlimited time and mileage warranty brings to the table was important to us. The car drives beautifully. We have the heavy duty towing package and 2 wheel drive. The vehicle will tow up to 7,200 pounds.

We will never take this car off road, and it rarely ever rains here, and never snows. So we have exactly zero use for 4-Wheel Drive. Besides, the towing capacity is actually a bit more with the 2-Wheel Drive, not to mention better fuel economy. Because you don't have the transfer case, along with all the other parts you have with 4-Wheel Drive. Just more to maintain and repair should anything go south. Most people who have 4-Wheel drive rarely need them.

The car gets 21.5 MPG on the highway, and 18+ around town. And with a 360 HP V-8, it hauls balls for a SUV. We equipped it a little more lavishly than we really needed to. But because of our age, along with how little we drive, unless it gets destroyed in a collision, or stolen, it will most likely be the last new vehicle we will ever buy.
The Following User Says Thank You to bill460 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 07:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,388 Times in 8,126 Posts

I would not buy a Jeep model other than the Jeep design like a Wrangler. That would be a mistake.

When considering other brand SUVs look to see if they are built on a truck or car chassis. In the case of the OP stay away from car chassis formatted SUVs.

If it were the OP and I was not going to be making regular trips over 4 hours I would get a Jeep. It is more work functional. I got the 4runner.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:41 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 22,857 Times in 7,539 Posts

I've also got serious back trouble, and also a rough driveway. Just bought a 2010 Explorer and am really regretting it. To get the ride I need on the rough, a longer wheelbase is necessary. A 4WD Suburban would have been a much better choice, despite the necessity to climb up into (and down out of) it. Yeah, the mileage will suck, but at this point I'd gladly pay the price.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:01 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,822 Times in 4,149 Posts

Find a used Chevrolet Avalanche
Rides smooth.... 8100 lb towing.... good fuel economy
Plenty of cab space. Covered rear bed. Lots of storage compartments
Great off road ... but rides like a Cadillac on the highway
Old 12-28-2019, 09:41 AM
Militant Normal

Very good suggestion. Close friend of mine back in Michigan had one, (bought on the employee discount program), and it was everything you say it is. We used to haul a trailer-load of dirt bikes up to our favorite trail system near South Branch, and the last few miles were on fairly rough unpaved roads. That was ten+ years ago, and I'd forgotten it, or I might never have bought this Explorer.

Do I remember right, that you could access the bed from the rear seats?

IMO whats not right about the Explorer is that it's a fairly short wheelbase, and you sit fairly high in the vehicle, so every pitch and roll is exaggerated. That's going to be true of ANY regular-wheelbase SUV, no matter what make. If you find one where you sit low, it's gonna be short on ground clearance.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:00 AM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 11,057 Times in 3,910 Posts

If you can stand it (the looks), I would suggest a used Honda Ridgeline.

If will ride smoother than the Ranger, and get better MPGs.
More reliable than Liberty, or most domestic makes.
Probably less pricy than a used Toyota.

I hate the way they look, but you are not my age, so maybe
you may like them.

They are consistently rated very highly by consumer reports, and
others. My friend down the street has had one for years he loves
but bought a Tundra to haul his large Airstream.

You know a lot of people. Maybe you can ask around and find an old couple
who have to get rid of a Toyota because they are too old to drive.
If they have already hit something with it, you save some money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 10:09 AM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 11,057 Times in 3,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Find a used Chevrolet Avalanche
Rides smooth.... 8100 lb towing.... good fuel economy
Plenty of cab space. Covered rear bed. Lots of storage compartments
Great off road ... but rides like a Cadillac on the highway
If you do get an Avalanche, be very careful about which year you get.

https://lemonlaw.org/complaints/chev...valanche/2004/
Old 12-28-2019, 10:26 AM
Militant Normal

I wouldn't judge any car by reading a class-action lawyer web site trolling for clients.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 10:30 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
I wouldn't judge any car by reading a class-action lawyer web site trolling for clients.
Anymore than I would judge a medication, tool, or anything else in an attorney sponsored television ad doing much the same. They are accomplishing nothing but costing this country hundreds of millions in false claims. Someone has to pay for all of it, and you can bet it's going to be the consumer. One way or another.
The Following User Says Thank You to bill460 For This Useful Post: