Post SHTF Loaded Long Gun Discipline & Safety - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 09-22-2019, 11:55 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,835 Times in 588 Posts
Default Post SHTF Loaded Long Gun Discipline & Safety

Advertise Here

As a rule, when I'm hunting, I always unload my rifle at the end of the day, even if camping out. I usually keep a loaded small pistol in my pants pocket at all times when camping and I keep one at home in my computer bag which I keep near my bed at night. I keep my long guns unloaded at home and locked in a gun vault.

Post-SHTF it may be necessary to keep loaded long guns around at all times. At the BOL/BIL, how would you store your loaded long guns for easy access but also so no one is accidentally shot? How about if you have to camp in the field overnight? I'm especially interested in the Army/USMC protocol.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prepper_Ed For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 12:08 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 29,031 Times in 10,171 Posts

Guns are always treated as loaded, even if they are not. Depends on the weapon. Some can have a round chambered and the hammer/striker let down, others need to rely on the safety. Keeping rounds in the magazine and not chambered is safer than a safety.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,175 Posts

For shotguns I leave the slide partially open and safety on. Magazine fed I leave bolt open and magazine loaded and in place. Both can be chambered in less than a second and can’t make a round go off even if the safety is off and the trigger pulled. Gun safety are still paramount even with these techniques in place.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2019, 03:44 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,876 Times in 760 Posts

Guns with BHO capabilities, the bolt would be locked rearward and a loaded magazine put in the rifle, like they are pre-SHTf for me. Ones without a standard BHO like AKs, just a loaded magazine in the magazine well. Easy enough to load.

Really nothing different.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 03:50 PM
Deplorable

Thanked 6,721 Times in 1,518 Posts

The same way that I do it right now with the safety on. Seriously why would I not keep a rifle ready?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zuriss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 06:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,325 Times in 4,599 Posts

While this is really more of a training issue than a safety issue, much does depend on your residence/home/location population and the owner's comfort with those carrying firearms. If everyone follows the basic firearm rules of safety, it really shouldn't be a concern. My grandfather left a loaded shotgun right beside the coat rack and door...from as early as I can remember. It wasn't touched; it's a discipline and training issue more than a safety issue.

That said, there are some different "conditions" you can carry. Even in Afghanistan, those not on active security or missions often carried rifles and pistols with a magazine in the weapon, but nothing loaded in the chamber; still on safe (except the countries carrying Glocks). The helicopter crews didn't like rounds in the chamber. Before any mission, we always racked a round into the chamber and cleared when we returned. I really don't care of the practice personally. It does reinforce the repletion of safely handling a firearm, but most negligent discharges occurred during this procedure.

For a post-SHFT scenario. Every rifle should be in arms reach, fully loaded and chamber with safety on; handguns should be chambered and carried 24/7. For those you don't trust, train them or don't arm them. The first gun safety rule is "treat all firearms as if they're loaded"...that's the standard and foundation of training. It's more a maturity issue than an age issue (unless the individual is significantly IQ deficient). My son understood and could recite the gun safety rules at age four and could safely handle any firearm he could physically hold.

ROCK6
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 09:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,805 Times in 3,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper_Ed View Post
As a rule, when I'm hunting, I always unload my rifle at the end of the day, even if camping out. I usually keep a loaded small pistol in my pants pocket at all times when camping and I keep one at home in my computer bag which I keep near my bed at night. I keep my long guns unloaded at home and locked in a gun vault.

Post-SHTF it may be necessary to keep loaded long guns around at all times. At the BOL/BIL, how would you store your loaded long guns for easy access but also so no one is accidentally shot? How about if you have to camp in the field overnight? I'm especially interested in the Army/USMC protocol.

Thanks
23 plus year active army infantry here and still counting.

If we are operating out of a patrol base, all weapons are loaded with safety on. ( Similar to camping in the field I would wager.)

Not only is discipline paramount, but everyone in the " group, party, or team" should be looking out for one another. ( PCCs/ PCIs)

For example: Afghanistan was a friken cake walk compared to Iraq, but more negligent discharges occurred there . The primary reason for this was lack of self discipline followed closely by lack of supervision at the jiunor NCO level. ( Officers lead and we run it all btw)

Now I am not saying that everyone should run around with chambers stuffed and safety on all times. That is an answer that only the individuals can answer for themselves.

With that said, I am very accustomed to carrying weapons around that are loaded with the safety engaged ......and also aspire to situational awareness to prevent my muzzle from sweeping something I don't want it pointed at...ever.

Sounds great on paper, but is in fact a challenge when your cold, wet, and especially exhausted. ( The reason why I would not suggest a flat statement for everyone.) Add to this if you plan to operate at night btw......

In short.....it takes some " getting used to". In addition.....complacency is or can be a big threat as time rolls on as well.

With that said, the rifle in below pic stays loaded with safety on NOW. .... let alone post shtf. ( Rattle shown in pic maintains at least ten loaded 20rd M14 mags at all times to boot.)

Other pic shows 2 different weapons in my platoon. ( M4A1 carbine, and M249 light machine gun)
Note: Even thou both weapons are loaded with blank ammunition with BFAs installed, both are " treated" ad if the ammo was live at all times.

One question to ask yourself. ......Do you know your rifle and know yourself inside and out?
Be safe and good luck.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_153715.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	292080   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190815_104158.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	292082  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 10:03 PM
Prepper elite

Thanked 4,034 Times in 1,985 Posts

Why have a unloaded gun ever .

Its always loaded till its unloaded
The Following User Says Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 12:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,438 Posts

If the gun whether a long gun or a pistol is accessible to my dogs the chamber is always unloaded. Hunting dogs have shot their masters. I doubt that my three numbskulls could figure out how to chamber a round. But a loaded gun could be fired by a dog trodding, butting , pushing, chewing, on the gun. Just knocking some guns down is not a good idea. If the gun is out of the reach of the dogs then I might leave the chamber loaded also.
Unloaded guns are not so useful. Loaded guns are more useful, but inherently dangerous.

If I am carrying a long gun it depends on the type of gun and what I am doing with it. Going through thick heavy brush, more than one person has noticed that their uncocked model 94 winchester had gotten cocked. If danger is imminent than of course gun cocked and safety if there is one is off. Assume normal hunting and military trigger pulls. When rifle is slung the safety is on. When unslung the safety is off and stays off until I sling the rifle or otherwise go down a level in my response alertness.

Use common sense when climbing and going through fences etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 01:24 AM
Eh kay vs eh are dood!

Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,644 Posts

At home I keep the chamber of my AR pistol empty. If I were in the field or in a SHTF situation the round would be in the chamber all the time unless the situation dictated that it had to be unloaded.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:34 PM
Prepared

Handguns ready to go, long arm(s) empty chamber with the tube/mag full unless expecting trouble.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buck91 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 09:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,447 Times in 6,364 Posts

Side Arms Condition 1, 24/7 , Rifles and Shotguns Condition 3 , 24/7. JMHO and S/FI!
Old 09-26-2019, 11:06 PM
Threepin'

Thanked 7,267 Times in 2,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper_Ed View Post

Thanks

Loaded, on safe. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to querulous For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 09:49 AM
Target Shooter

It depends on the gun, really.

My defensive guns? Yeah, loaded on safe and ready to roll. These of a type that I can trust in that capacity. ARs, strikerfire or hammerfire pistols, etc.

My pump shotguns that are not drop-safe sit with the action open and a shell in the carrier, safety off. It will require racking it forward to use, but I can be assured that if for some reason my gun safe is open and they fall over, I won't have a drywall project.

My 1897 shotgun does not have one in the carrier, as that is capable of slamfire. That stays empty.

My bolt guns have 2 in the internal mag just so there's something there, but doesn't wear out my spring. Same thing, they're not drop safe so that chamber stays empty with the safety off.

SB in general loves a wise and clever parable but there's a lot of gray area in firearm storage and it's really all dependent on the situation and the firearm. That said, if all guns are treated as loaded, they may as well be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vodka Wizard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 10:30 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,659 Times in 2,863 Posts

THE THING is...
In a POST world you will have folks carrying guns who not only never carried one before.. they never envisioned themselves EVER carrying one.
SO
what seems a no brainer second nature to folks who were raised on guns and carried them on a daily basis, will be such a foreign concept to the out of comfort zone recruit that maybe a LOT of special attention or different rules should be considered for them.

This is a case where one size does not fit all and that maybe different operational guidelines may be required for the safety of ALL concerned until they get a little more dirt and blood under their fingernails.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 11:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,015 Times in 1,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
THE THING is...
In a POST world you will have folks carrying guns who not only never carried one before.. they never envisioned themselves EVER carrying one.
SO
what seems a no brainer second nature to folks who were raised on guns and carried them on a daily basis, will be such a foreign concept to the out of comfort zone recruit that maybe a LOT of special attention or different rules should be considered for them.

This is a case where one size does not fit all and that maybe different operational guidelines may be required for the safety of ALL concerned until they get a little more dirt and blood under their fingernails.
Absolutely!

If something were to happen, AND wed have to work with folks whom we dont KNOW, then pounding safety in first will be the RULE.

Or we wont work with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 11:35 AM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 5,230 Times in 1,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by querulous View Post
Loaded, on safe. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What about if your firearm does not have a safe. Period. ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 12:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,015 Times in 1,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
What about if your firearm does not have a safe. Period. ?
Holstered.

Booger hook off of the bangy switch.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 03:19 PM
Somewhere in a Plane

Thanked 1,007 Times in 389 Posts

For me, fighting weapons are kept fighting ready. Ie, pick it up and pull the trigger.

When I was working with the sheriff's department, rifles were stored and carried mag in, bolt closed on an empty chamber. When we expected trouble, a round was chambered and the rifle put on safe until things went back to normal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobcat In The Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 07:40 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 45,874 Times in 10,586 Posts

The whole point with safety is to protect yourself and others

Whether its post shtf or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post: