Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 07-05-2019, 06:48 PM
Prepared

Default Nuclear threat

Advertise Here

Not so much a nuke strike but nuke plant incident. I live right at 50 miles as the crow flies from the closest nuke plant. Maybe not exactly downwind but pretty close with the prevailing winds. Where can I find "official" information about this threat and what to do?

Depending on the scenario shelter in place or bug out could be real options but worst case would be a TEOTWAWKI scenario where the plant integrity would be in question. If automobiles are down bugging out is out of the question with multiple small children. Is 50mi adequate to shelter in place for a short while before resuming activity?
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019, 07:12 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 82,281 Times in 23,865 Posts

You might look up that guy that built the ARKII project in Canada for ideas on sheltering.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ark_Two_Shelter
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...uclear-shelter

There are some nuclear wizards on here that can answer better, just giving you some thoughts in the meantime.

I think there are also some nuclear survival articles in the manuals section of SB.

Other than picking up some iodine, a couple survey and/or alarm meters, and making a fallout shelter with at least some basic air filtration and storing a few hundred gallons of water, not sure what else to suggest.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:24 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,659 Times in 8,879 Posts

Most nuclear power plants have emergency shutdown systems that put the brakes on any possible trouble right now. The old movie The China Syndrome is pure fiction and was made around the commie support star named Jane Fonda. If something were to go wrong, the emergency systems would automatically stop everything cold and keep radioactivity from leaking into the atmosphere. Trouble is that putting faith in a backup system is not always smart so having other ideas in mind is a really good thing.

Chernobyl is a good example of why people living near nuclear power plants need to plan ahead. In spite of all the safeguards, backup systems and official planning the Chernobyl reactor did a historic meltdown for which we still are paying.

Since a meltdown can happen at anytime you need to plan to move away from the area with the wind behind you. You also need an alarm system that alerts you when you are asleep and can give you a couple of minutes head start. Yeah, that's right. About all you'll have is a couple of minutes to grab the kid, wife and pets then leave the area forever without looking back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 09:44 PM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 5,292 Times in 1,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post

Chernobyl is a good example of why people living near nuclear power plants need to plan ahead. In spite of all the safeguards, backup systems and official planning the Chernobyl reactor did a historic meltdown for which we still are paying.
Yep, that can happen when you bypass safety systems to run a test under conditions that are outside of the prescribed plant conditions for said test.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doh Myn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2019, 10:24 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,084 Times in 4,308 Posts

I'm definitely not an expert on the subject, but man, those MOPP suits in the United States Army (founded June 14th, 1775) were hot as hell to train in.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2019, 10:26 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 29,031 Times in 10,171 Posts

They transport stuff, things happen - have a plan.

They have launched reactors into space, they have fallen back before Canada had one for example.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 12:15 AM
Birds of a Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
Not so much a nuke strike but nuke plant incident. I live right at 50 miles as the crow flies from the closest nuke plant. Maybe not exactly downwind but pretty close with the prevailing winds. Where can I find "official" information about this threat and what to do?
The radio/tv/online. Your phone alerting system (keep your phone charged)

https://www.ready.gov/alerts

Proactively you could try to find an insider at the plant who will contact you if there is a major problem.

Another option would be to contact the company that operates the plant and asked if they have any contacts/mailing lists or programs to be advised of any potential safety concerns that the public might be exposed to such as a public alerting system the plant runs.

nearby the plants there are often alarm systems. Having a system rigged up to be activated by sound levels with the alarm such as a remote SMS alert system rigged through a solar charged standby would be the more obvious way of being alerted if the nuke activates its emergency alerting system. The same might be noticeable by planting a livestream device or paying for a webcam/livestream device on a nearby property with a view of the plant if available - of course this could attract the NRSB nuclear safety professionals or FBI etc.. would are curious about it.

A specific plant might provide a more specific reply.

Quote:
Depending on the scenario shelter in place or bug out could be real options but worst case would be a TEOTWAWKI scenario where the plant integrity would be in question. If automobiles are down bugging out is out of the question with multiple small children. Is 50mi adequate to shelter in place for a short while before resuming activity?
Depends how the wind is blowing.

Fallout can go around the world. It all depends on the facility. That said many US nuclear plants are built on designs that are relatively more safe than older nuclear power plants like Chernobyl reactors. That said many US nuclear power plants are past their designed maximum lifespand, and new plants are being built (slowly very slowly, to replace them)

What is the actual plant location?
For example
https://www.thedailybeast.com/nuclea...ost-vulnerable

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=228&t=21

OVERALL

NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS ARE INCREDIBLY SAFE THERE IS NO REASON TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT THEM KILLING YOU. SMOKING KILLS MORE PEOPLE EVERY DAY THAN NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS DO.

IN FACT NUCLEAR WAR IS ALMOST MORE LIKELY THAN A NUCLEAR MELTDOWN. THE SURVIVAL RATE OF NUCLEAR WAR WOULD BE MUCH LOWER THAN A MELTDOWN.

Why not plan for nuclear war instead.

Quote:
Their worrying conclusion is that the chances are 50:50 that a major nuclear disaster will occur somewhere in the world before 2050. “There is a 50 per cent chance that a Chernobyl event (or larger) occurs in the next 27 years,” they conclude.Apr 17, 2015
http://www.world-nuclear.org/informa...-reactors.aspx

That said the real risk comes from not industrializing the mass repurposing of nuclear waste and processing it into artificially created nuclear power cells using carbon diamond processing that will allow the creation of batteries that last for 5000 years and more and are completely safe.

You know the real risk comes from not industrializing the reuse of nuclear waste to make batteries that can power all our important electronic devices like cameras, sensors and other critical points of the internet of things, AI control systems and the technological overload that will control our lives in the years to come.

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-statis...ajor-wars.html

SKYNET IS COMING.

https://marginalrevolution.com/margi...clear-war.html

https://youtu.be/VGkLPjkR9wA?t=104

Buy ducktape, garbage bags redesign your house.. consider air filtering systems etc.. lots of ways to harden a home on a budget.

Links like may help

The good news
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...re-on-the-way/
The Following User Says Thank You to WilliamAshley For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 12:41 AM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 19,165 Times in 4,560 Posts

I was trying to tell my son that both the Canadian and US governments knew that Fukushima was more than just a hydrogen explosion within about 6 days at the most , and colluded with Japan to keep it under wraps for economic and liability reasons I suppose , but he thinks I am just paranoid . I don't think you can trust the governments to release expedient and factual information when they have other agendas and interests .

Definitely have a plan because unforeseen series of events can happen by fluke , like at Fukushima .
Old 07-06-2019, 12:59 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 29,031 Times in 10,171 Posts

Lets consider our accidents: Three mile island 1979 and the one at INEL SL-1 in 1961 are the 2 I think of..

The good news is Nuke stuff doesn't happen often. Most of the preps for it can work for other things like chemical and germs.

I often think about buying a NukAlert.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:48 PM

I would have to ask if a scenario such as the original war of the worlds broadcast could happen with a fake news broadcast of a "nuke issue". I don't honestly worry about the stuff. My front door is my biggest concern with identity theft. Could a large enough mass of folks be swayed by a rogue broadcast that would cause chaos? The recent drill in Hawaii had folks putting kids in sewers so I think a small effort could have a large impact. Just a theory.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:42 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,523 Times in 6,485 Posts

Quote:
If automobiles are down bugging out is out of the question with multiple small children.
Then prep so that automobiles are not going to be down. Vehicles are one of the most robust and powerful technologies we have. Prep them accordingly.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 73,316 Times in 22,599 Posts

The plant will have information avalable.

It will have information it passes out automatically to everyone living within ~10 miles of it as well as potassium iodine pills.and Allert radio's (one of my classmates did an internship at a nuke plant... (Emergency Mgmt) bike

Also let me correct:
The U.S. Army dates from 1792.
The continual Army was disbanded after the Revolution and the U.S. Army is a different organization. (You COULD claim as late as 1796, but I'll allow the earlier date.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 09:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,274 Posts

Quote:
Most nuclear power plants have emergency shutdown systems that put the brakes on any possible trouble right now. The old movie The China Syndrome is pure fiction and was made around the commie support star named Jane Fonda. If something were to go wrong, the emergency systems would automatically stop everything cold and keep radioactivity from leaking into the atmosphere.
That didn't work at Three Mile Island, there was a leak into the atmosphere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lear_accidents
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclea..._United_States
Old 07-14-2019, 09:31 AM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

If you are 50 miles downwind, then I would suggest a few cheap preps.

Have a radiation meter of some sort. A continuous readout type with an alarm.

I bought one of these a while back. It's cheap and I think a reasonably priced prep. Obviously there are much better and more expensive meters out there. But if your option is nothing or this, I would get this or similar.
https://www.amazon.com/GQ-GMC300EPlu...s%2C169&sr=8-4

Then I would plan to stay in the house and rig up a filtered air intake/house positive pressure system to filter out fallout.

Then either have some Iodide pills, or Lugo's iodine supplement to load up your thyroid with clean iodine.

If you think someone will have to enter the house during the event, then have an outside hose area to rinse them off good.

If you have a tyvek chem suit and good 3M full face respirator for the person working the hose sprayer, that might also be a worthwhile prep.

Then have enough water and food for a couple weeks sheltering.

And a radio / cell phone and maybe a couple deep cycle batteries / solar power supply to keep your air filter/pressurization working, and keep your comms devices and radiation detector powered up.

12V ducted blowers or a 12V camp fan for boats might be an option, fitted with some sort of filter to maintain a slight positive house air pressure.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:01 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,344 Times in 1,368 Posts

I was living within a few miles of Three Miles Island in 79. My son was born a few months later The State of Pa. Sent my wife and Son a Form every year until he turned 18 or so. Not sure I wasn't living with them at that time.
They never sent me a Form about my Health Scum Bags. Only cared about the Wife and Kid. LOL
Old 07-14-2019, 11:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,322 Times in 3,609 Posts

Quote:
Most nuclear power plants have emergency shutdown systems that put the brakes on any possible trouble right now. The old movie The China Syndrome is pure fiction and was made around the commie support star named Jane Fonda. If something were to go wrong, the emergency systems would automatically stop everything cold and keep radioactivity from leaking into the atmosphere. Trouble is that putting faith in a backup system is not always smart so having other ideas in mind is a really good thing.

Since a meltdown can happen at anytime you need to plan to move away from the area with the wind behind you. You also need an alarm system that alerts you when you are asleep and can give you a couple of minutes head start. Yeah, that's right. About all you'll have is a couple of minutes to grab the kid, wife and pets then leave the area forever without looking back.
Chernyobyl was a forced meltdown. The crew systemically over-road the safeguards to "test" the reactors ability to maintain functionality in an emergency. The first part of the test was to shut down the reactor’s power-regulating system. After the reactor continued running without problem, they then turned off its emergency systems. Next they removed the control rods while allowing the reactor to continue operating and dialed up the power to test limits... What could possibly go wrong?

The problem was then compounded when the tin roof design did not withhold the flames....
The Following User Says Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 11:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,015 Times in 1,490 Posts

Know the type of plant, and it’s backup systems. Would help guide your thought process on wether to stay, shielded & for how long, or just to go.

If some TEOTWAWKI were to occur, most everyone would be in a news blackout. Consider ways to continue to gather information from “afar”.

Monitoring equipment would be markedly handy, as suggested, I would imagine.

Otherwise you would have no way of knowing there was a problem. Until too late.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

In a prolonged grid down, if the plant is down and the backup generators run out of fuel, I guess the concern is overheating the "spent" fuel storage pool or the active core itself could result in radioactive steam release.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:34 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,084 Times in 4,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
The plant will have information avalable.

It will have information it passes out automatically to everyone living within ~10 miles of it as well as potassium iodine pills.and Allert radio's (one of my classmates did an internship at a nuke plant... (Emergency Mgmt) bike

Also let me correct:
The U.S. Army dates from 1792.
The continual Army was disbanded after the Revolution and the U.S. Army is a different organization. (You COULD claim as late as 1796, but I'll allow the earlier date.)
God bless the daggone United States Army (June 14th, 1775 - present)

Made me the man I am today.

"This We'll Defend!"

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2019, 11:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 73,316 Times in 22,599 Posts

I'm talking fact, not propaganda.

Information is out there if your willing to learn.

Said all I need to say on the subject, either learn for yourself or accept the "official Gov story"