Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Night Vision sub $300 recommendations Milamber Reviews and questions 8 05-30-2019 12:46 AM
Start Anew 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 1101 12-24-2018 08:53 PM
Your EDC kit. Martinez15 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 75 11-28-2017 06:47 PM
night vision added to rifle scope padd54 Rifle Forum 10 10-27-2016 10:22 PM
Firefield NVRS 3x42mm Gen1 Night Vision Riflescope - $299.25 + Free Shipping apps47inc For Sale 0 10-21-2016 10:05 PM

Old 08-13-2018, 12:04 PM
Dios y Tejas

Thanked 20,096 Times in 5,161 Posts
Default Recommendations for a REASONABLY priced night vision scope

Advertise Here

I have an AR-10 on which I want to mount a night vision scope. A reasonably priced scope.

This is not for sniping at offending liberals! .

My 60 acre tract up in east Texas is infested with wild hogs and I want to make an attempt to eliminate the species. I can look up scopes, but I'd rather hear from people on this forum that have actually used some of these scopes.

Thanks for your input.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 12:48 PM

I have the ATN X-Sight II HD 5-20 it's an ACTIVE scope.
Meaning it needs an IR Illuminator.
I really like this scope.
It's heavy not for patrolling.
Here is a youtube I have shooting 100yards at night.
It's on top of my C308.
LOTS of videos out there about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SWolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 03:05 PM
Dios y Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWolf View Post
I have the ATN X-Sight II HD 5-20 it's an ACTIVE scope.
Meaning it needs an IR Illuminator.
I really like this scope.
It's heavy not for patrolling.
Here is a youtube I have shooting 100yards at night.
It's on top of my C308.
LOTS of videos out there about it.
Night Vision - YouTube
By "active" do you mean I need a separate IR illumination lighting up the target? The price is a lot lower than I expected and the target area is just fine for what I want to do. I am not planning on lugging it around, just elevated stand shooting. The hogs gather around my pecan and walnut trees right next to my 1 acre pond. But having to have a separate piece of equipment might not be optimal for hogs that move out of the direct illuminator

Interested in this one. Thanks for responding
The Following User Says Thank You to Sky1950 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2018, 04:09 PM

Correct the IR Illuminator is just a larger penlight that attaches to the side of the scope.
Of course, you can get away...there are some huge IR Illuminators out there.

YES is a lot cheaper than when I got mine was almost $800.

This is the one that came with it and it's good out to 150 yards +/-

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SWolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 04:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 73,154 Times in 22,563 Posts

I'm not up on the current market, but a MINIMUM is US Gen 2.

I've used 1, 2, 3, and "3+" (there's some **** out there that will SCARE YOU that at the time at least quite literally had armed guards. I got lucky and was "with someone" and got to test it.... after signing a document that means tats all I can say.)
-several years sgo, so it's probably in common useage now.

2 minimum. (And US 2 is different than Russian etc)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,896 Times in 722 Posts

Spot light em. Thats legal in Texas. You can just drive around and catch em in the headlights. Perty EZ!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 06:49 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,528 Times in 11,535 Posts

got the old starlight . spent 300 for it, and did the batt conversion. US Israel surplus.got the Mettascope with it. "Batteries by BoB is your friend for the conversion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starlight 002.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	277032   Click image for larger version

Name:	starlight 003.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	277034   Click image for larger version

Name:	starlight 004.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	277036  
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 07:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,197 Times in 1,607 Posts

"REASONABLY priced " is always a relative term. If the scope is for regular use for hunting, security and/or self-defense, you want to get the best you can afford.

Everyone's situation is different and if you really need Night Vision, maybe think about getting more, by paying more.

In traditional Night Vision, about the best a civilian can get is a PVS-14, which can be weapon mounted or helmet mounted. For situation awareness, if you're moving around at night, the ability to helmet mount the scope is very important. If you are going to be in a static position, weapon mounted is cheaper as you don't need another NV capable optic or an aiming laser.

The PVS-14's on Optics Planet are priced between $2,099 to $5,099 on optics planet. Weight is around 11 ounces. On the low ($2k) end this is about what a nice bolt gun and optic would end up costing. So is this "REASONABLY priced ", for some the answer is, "Yes".

Another alternative and perhaps better solution, might be to look at the new thermal units that are coming out today. Thermal has come way down in price and can also be used during the day to identify hidden animals/people, etc. The only downside to thermal is you're going to have to weapon mount it, as the optic doesn't see lasers or a scope reticent, just heat. They do make really small units now for helmet or handheld use, but these can't be weapon mounted.

FLIR Scout

The FLIR Scout starts at $599 on up. Weight 6 ounces.

The FLIR Scout is within just about all budgets and it is a quality unit that will last and has service and support that is not going away anytime soon. Military, Police and other professionals rely on FLIR as a daily used tool. Something to seriously consider.

FLIR Breech

The new FLIR Flir Systems Breach PTQ136 is really small and has great picture quality and starts at $2,495. The unit weighs around 8 ounces.

To me, to ability to identify threats both day and night, its hard to argue against Thermal imaging. Also if you live in an urban area and are going from dark to night, headlights from cars, etc. Night Vision is going to struggle and may not be able to detect threats because of all the light pollution. Thermal doesn't care about light, only heat, so it is unaffected.

Police Magazine Article

http://www.policemag.com/channel/tec...l-imagers.aspx

Thermal also allows you to use and practice during the day, as it can't be damaged by bright light. So someone hiding behind cover or concealed, can be detected during both day and night with a Thermal scope. To me this is a huge advantage, which is why you see police using these hand held units to search for suspects trying to hide or evade.

Yes the Night Vision units come with a "Pin Hole" cap for day use, but that is mostly used to zero the optic and they can and will shut down if too much light gets through the pin hole.

For a Thermal Rifle Mounted Hunting Scope, the FLIR Systems Thermosight Pro PTS233 1.5-6x19mm starts at $2,199 and features all the latest technology. The Hog Hunters seem to all be going for Thermal Imaging now, I don't hunt myself, however they have lots of videos/discussion forums of their own that you might wanna check out.

Thanks for the post, everyone who is serious about prepping needs some sort of way to see in the dark.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mauser6863 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 08:21 AM
Dios y Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
got the old starlight . spent 300 for it, and did the batt conversion. US Israel surplus.got the Mettascope with it. "Batteries by BoB is your friend for the conversion.

O M G !!!!... I havent seen one of those refrigerators in 40 years!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:24 AM
Dios y Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser6863 View Post

"REASONABLY priced " is always a relative term. If the scope is for regular use for hunting, security and/or self-defense, you want to get the best you can afford.

Everyone's situation is different and if you really need Night Vision, maybe think about getting more, by paying more.

In traditional Night Vision, about the best a civilian can get is a PVS-14, which can be weapon mounted or helmet mounted. For situation awareness, if you're moving around at night, the ability to helmet mount the scope is very important. If you are going to be in a static position, weapon mounted is cheaper as you don't need another NV capable optic or an aiming laser.

The PVS-14's on Optics Planet are priced between $2,099 to $5,099 on optics planet. Weight is around 11 ounces. On the low ($2k) end this is about what a nice bolt gun and optic would end up costing. So is this "REASONABLY priced ", for some the answer is, "Yes".

Another alternative and perhaps better solution, might be to look at the new thermal units that are coming out today. Thermal has come way down in price and can also be used during the day to identify hidden animals/people, etc. The only downside to thermal is you're going to have to weapon mount it, as the optic doesn't see lasers or a scope reticent, just heat. They do make really small units now for helmet or handheld use, but these can't be weapon mounted.

FLIR Scout

The FLIR Scout starts at $599 on up. Weight 6 ounces.

The FLIR Scout is within just about all budgets and it is a quality unit that will last and has service and support that is not going away anytime soon. Military, Police and other professionals rely on FLIR as a daily used tool. Something to seriously consider.

FLIR Breech

The new FLIR Flir Systems Breach PTQ136 is really small and has great picture quality and starts at $2,495. The unit weighs around 8 ounces.

To me, to ability to identify threats both day and night, its hard to argue against Thermal imaging. Also if you live in an urban area and are going from dark to night, headlights from cars, etc. Night Vision is going to struggle and may not be able to detect threats because of all the light pollution. Thermal doesn't care about light, only heat, so it is unaffected.

Police Magazine Article

http://www.policemag.com/channel/tec...l-imagers.aspx

Thermal also allows you to use and practice during the day, as it can't be damaged by bright light. So someone hiding behind cover or concealed, can be detected during both day and night with a Thermal scope. To me this is a huge advantage, which is why you see police using these hand held units to search for suspects trying to hide or evade.

Yes the Night Vision units come with a "Pin Hole" cap for day use, but that is mostly used to zero the optic and they can and will shut down if too much light gets through the pin hole.

For a Thermal Rifle Mounted Hunting Scope, the FLIR Systems Thermosight Pro PTS233 1.5-6x19mm starts at $2,199 and features all the latest technology. The Hog Hunters seem to all be going for Thermal Imaging now, I don't hunt myself, however they have lots of videos/discussion forums of their own that you might wanna check out.

Thanks for the post, everyone who is serious about prepping needs some sort of way to see in the dark.
You are correct, "reasonably priced" varies, person to person. I would say for my budget, $2,000 would be tops. Thanks for the input.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2018, 12:09 PM
Dios y Tejas

Thanks to all for your input. I have decided to have the ATN X-Sight II HD 5-20 mounted on the AR-10 with the ATN IR 850 Pro IR Illuminator.

Thanks again guys, with any luck i'll start the slaughter in January.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1950 View Post
I have an AR-10 on which I want to mount a night vision scope. A reasonably priced scope.

My 60 acre tract up in east Texas is infested with wild hogs and I want to make an attempt to eliminate the species. I can look up scopes, but I'd rather hear from people on this forum that have actually used some of these scopes.

Thanks for your input.
How about an update?

Did you get some sort of night vision?
Old 06-02-2020, 10:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,100 Times in 4,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1950 View Post

Thanks for your input.
Thermal is the way for that activity.

That said, sometime early next year I plan to snag a PVS14 gen 3 WP tube and a MAWL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 11:32 PM
"eleutheromaniac"

Thanked 7,276 Times in 2,072 Posts

Is there a top rated forum someone could suggest that concentrates on night hunting varmints and predators.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:47 PM
Deplorable

Thanked 6,656 Times in 1,507 Posts

I have been happy with the sightmark wraith. At around $500 it has been well worth the price. Just wish we had more hogs to hunt as we seem to have almost cleared them all out.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:05 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 16,869 Times in 5,188 Posts

Keep in mind, that with all the digital scopes the image gets more grainy as you zoom.

Last edited by Steve_In_29; 06-07-2020 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-03-2020, 11:59 PM
"eleutheromaniac"

Thanked 7,276 Times in 2,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Keep on mind, that with all the digital scopes the image gets more grainy as you zoom.
And the "Field of View" get much smaller.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:03 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 16,869 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8SPC View Post
And the "Field of View" get much smaller.
Well that's a given with any scope. Digital or optical.