Bug out home: houseboat or a trailer in woods? - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Complete List Living off the Grid Grifters Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 151 06-26-2020 03:51 PM
If your plan is to bug in, better make your home really Secure. Hick Industries Urban Survival 157 01-22-2019 06:51 AM
Home Invasion, likely how it might go down Black Knight General Discussion 88 05-29-2018 11:13 AM
Gather around the campfire OR Never step on the Butterflies MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 230 04-26-2018 06:37 PM

Old 05-29-2018, 02:37 PM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

Which will you go and use and enjoy during the other 99.999% of the time The S isn't hitting the fan?

Prepping should make your every day life better even when their isn't a disaster in my opinion. We love our Bug Out cabin and use it as a vacation home.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GoodPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 09:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,705 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustednail View Post
whats the point of having a cabin in the woods...if your not going to be in it....sounds kinda stupid to me.....
See, you did more stupid thinking. You're assuming it is never used.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:46 AM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,886 Times in 603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCorps View Post
See, you did more stupid thinking. You're assuming it is never used.

your assuming that your more prepared than the ones coming for your place...

when its used is when you will be raided...….you will always be outnumbered.....

stupid to think otherwise...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2018, 10:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,705 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustednail View Post
your assuming that your more prepared than the ones coming for your place...

when its used is when you will be raided....you will always be outnumbered.....

stupid to think otherwise...
No, I assume I'll be raided, so I'll be paying attention. I've always been outnumbered. I'm just better at picking which battles to fight and when.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:40 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,213 Times in 2,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCorps View Post
I HAVE had one for years. No other critter calling itself an "ORV can match it for hauling and going places where others cannot begin to go.
The wife was very protective of the kids growing up,"no dirt bikes, no snowmobiles, no anything they could get hurt on. " So I just bought the ARGO and caught heck but they only do about 25 and are built like a tank and pretty much kid proof any way you want to look at them. They used to drive full tilt into the ponds then swim across and head out the other side. for their fun time.
I have tracks for mine in the winter and I used to go out and cut wood and have 700-800 pounds in the back of it and then drive it back home.

Since those days I have converted to pellet stove for heat and I built a deck on the back and bring over about 500lbs of pellets at a time from where I store them. But they go anywhere and are pretty easy to work on.

They bob on the water like a cork.. unless you overload them with moose. They are only supposed to have 750lb capacity when swimming but this video really shows what they can do with load and swim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewLh8RqHnG4
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 11:50 PM
alabamian

Im a little biased here but ill give my two cents.

I say boat all day, i work on a towboat that pushes two barges across the icww (inter coastal waterways) and up and down the western rivers. TowBoats are made of steel and can be pad locked from inside and outside if your worrying about someone coming in on you, they run off of diesel and have two generators to supply you with more power than you would need.

Now if you have two 30k barel barges one filled with diesel and one with potable water you could go a good bit without worrying about fuel or water. I do very good at fishing while working out here, 30 days on and only 15 at my house, so i wouldnt be extremely worried about food immediately anyhow.

Now there are downsides, being trapped inside of a boat for 30 days without touching land does get to you, and quickly when stuff goes wrong constantly. Believe me something always goes wrong and. needs to be fixed out here. Another problem is the amount of locks that just one person could not do by themselves if traveling the icww let alone the amount of bridges that need to be raised or swung to the side so we can squeak on by.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2018, 07:39 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,301 Times in 924 Posts

A house boat could be pretty good compared to a trailer since it provides protection from bears and other animals that might raid food supplies. The lake could also act as a “moat “ to slow down looters.

A large blue water capable sail boat on the ocean sounds way better. Esp in the pacific

With a decent sail boat you could store months of supplies.

You could sail , no fuel needed. a motor for emergencies and power generation is a possibility.

You could have solar panels deployed on the calm water.

You could use solar to convert sea water to fresh water.

In good weather you could stay out of sight of land.

You could go up and down the coast and use a jet ski or small boat to go ashore where no docks exist.

A 40 foot sail boat ( or even 30 foot if well stocked ) can be had for much less than property with a house on it. And it combines the BOL with a BOV.

While staying on a boat at sea for years might not be feasible, for short term bug outs ( days weeks months ) they make a LOT of sense.

Plus you get to use the boat for fun.

Just make sure your boat is stocked and you know how to navigate without GPS and have good charts.

Also plan and practice sailing to more remote places. Having a few protected but ” secret “ places to anchor already picked out would be a good idea. You should know how to sail. To them , preferably without GPS.

Also remember you won’t have the luxury of the NOAA. You’ll have to be more self reliant for weather fortcasts. This means staying near shore when l
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 12:11 AM
Prepared

In a real disaster the roads will be impassable it took me 26 hours to do a 3 hour drive in hurricane Rita. I would suggest a 30 foot sail boat I would rather go 5 knots than be stuck without gas in a traffic jam.
The Following User Says Thank You to simpleman7923 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2018, 02:17 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,301 Times in 924 Posts

Well a sailboat might not be the best choice in a hurricane. But it’s faster than a car in traffic. It’s also not on routes that will be “watched” easily.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 05:12 AM

A good RV camper with rv portable waste tank canada is my best go to when camping anywhere. I can have the comfort of home if i want to.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,403 Times in 565 Posts

I told the wife we should buy a house boat on for the lake near us and ride this out on it. She thought I was nuts. Made sense to me. No visitors. Can store plenty of food, clothing and water. Older used ones sell for cheap. Not like I'd need a new one for 4 months or anything like that.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:37 PM

A houseboat is the way to go. Assume 6 people on board. That is 24 hr. security, ever been down a big river? Towns are far and few between. The river is generally more than a 1/4 mile wide, you'll see them coming from a long way off. Ever seen a barge fleeting area? Unlimited grain, fuel and other resources are there. Most times roads only run down one side of a river. Lots more pros than cons.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,292 Times in 1,539 Posts

If you have a camper you can park it in the woods and use it every day or forget about it for years and if you took some precautions when setting it up you will still have a camper to go to that cost you very little.

Most house boats I have ever seen require tons of maintenance and often require an expensive slip to park in. Up here things freeze so most boats have to be hauled out for the winter and put back in in the spring. If it is a sizeable boat that you can't move yourself that can get expensive. Also for half the year the boat is on land and isn't really usable
Old 05-13-2020, 11:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,403 Times in 565 Posts

Crap... down here it doesn't freeze so that isn't an issue. I found a bunch of bigger, older boats for under 20k. I was thinking that I buy it, payment isn't due for like 45 days. Make 5-6 months of payments on it, stay on it most of that time afloat in the lake but anchored. Genny fuel, propane, food and fresh water is all you need. Only go ashore to replenish. Live easy and careful and you only have to do that every week or two.

Don't matter... Momma gave me that look when I brought it up.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,790 Times in 5,980 Posts

Under ground shelter in the middle of the desert.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:29 PM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 8,714 Times in 2,928 Posts

Champagne tastes on a beer budget lead me to a SHANTYBOAT.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post: